Topic: Completely migrated to sndio: Reporting some experiences

Hello together,

as of now I'd like to have pulseaudio removed as essential soundserver and therefore migrated to sndio. So I have done this onto my installation of version 0.3 (stable), collecting experience as daily driver and system. First of all I had to migrate my installation of smplay, removing mpv as the player reacted not correct. Video and audio were to correctly merged in time, getting async. What to do? Better to use mplayer and therefore I recompiled smplayer with this dependencies instead mpv. Until now the system seems very stable! smile

Perhaps somebody else want to share experiences?

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Re: Completely migrated to sndio: Reporting some experiences

After further testing: Yes, the system is stable for generic usage. But at all not ready when using sndio as on some applications the problems stay the same as with mpv: Video is slowed down with the service sndiod active getting all commands throughout ALSA. So this one is needing more testing at all, especially WINE is really slow.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

After further testing: Yes, the system is stable for generic usage. But at all not ready when using sndio as on some applications the problems stay the same as with mpv: Video is slowed down with the service sndiod active getting all commands throughout ALSA. So this one is needing more testing at all, especially WINE is really slow.

That's my main issue too actually.

That and the display wink

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Therefore I've switched towards ALSA for the time being, with the option for JACK (version 1 or 2).

5 (edited by throgh 2020-04-05 21:48:25)

And Mumble is literally unusable without support for avahi as the client is crashing after start. Well, the "freedom of choice"!