1 (edited by Mesh Malachi 2020-08-19 06:18:01)

Topic: How to setup Internet connection sharing with NetworkManager?

My Linux laptop has a wifi connection. I want to share the connection over Ethernet with my Windows 7 desktop computer.

I connected the computers with an Ethernet cable. I also tried connecting both to a switch.

I followed the tutorial "Sharing internet connection over Ethernet" here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … over_Wi-Fi

I've tried to connect with and without a static IP address. I've tried to connect with and without enabling packet forwarding.

Windows has an IP address but cannot reach the Internet.

2 (edited by throgh 2020-08-19 08:56:09)

Re: How to setup Internet connection sharing with NetworkManager?

Please note that Wifi is an extensive security-vector and a problem of itself. Besides that: When you want to share a connection you should use a dedicated device, perhaps something with LibreCMC? Other possibilities found also: OpenWRT, DD-WRT etc.

NetworkManager itself is bloatware as it is built on top of systemd, so it has its own flaws as the software has to be made "free". So better to have a connection shared throughout a routing-device being exactly made for this.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

Please note that Wifi is an extensive security-vector and a problem of itself. Besides that: When you want to share a connection you should use a dedicated device, perhaps something with LibreCMC? Other possibilities found also: OpenWRT, DD-WRT etc.

NetworkManager itself is bloatware as it is built on top of systemd, so it has its own flaws as the software has to be made "free". So better to have a connection shared throughout a routing-device being exactly made for this.

Agreed, besides, dhcpcd-gtk is lighter and simpler.

all you need to do is have dhcpcd, wpa_supplicant services added to rc-update and then run dhcpcd-ui (need it installed) and you should be able to get a list of connections by clicking on the icon.

the way to run dhcpcd-ui is to type dhcpcd-gtk into terminal though. wink

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

4 (edited by Mesh Malachi 2020-08-19 17:00:06)

throgh wrote:

I don't need a lecture. I'm poor and wifi is all I can get right now. There is no need for a dedicated device, and I don't have access to another device. I've shared Internet between this laptop and a desktop before. What you are suggesting is a complication.

NetworkManager itself is bloatware as it is built on top of systemd,

I don't use systemd. NM doesn't slow my system down, so it's good enough for me. I've been struggling with this for days and I just want my question answered.

so it has its own flaws as the software has to be made "free". So better to have a connection shared throughout a routing-device being exactly made for this.

NM is already in the Hyperbola repos, so presumably it's already "free."
Edit: it's in the form of a set of utilities including nmtui, nm-connection-editor, nm-applet, nm-hostname, etc. It all works and looks the same as NetworkManager on other distros, so I called it NetworkManager.

5 (edited by Mesh Malachi 2020-08-19 17:05:57)

zapper wrote:

[

all you need to do is have dhcpcd, wpa_supplicant services added to rc-update and then run dhcpcd-ui (need it installed) and you should be able to get a list of connections by clicking on the icon.

Does this have anything to do with internet connection sharing?

Also, connecting with NM is actually easier than what you've described: NM calls dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant, so those two services don't need to be started automatically. Only NM needs to be added to a runlevel.

6 (edited by zapper 2020-08-19 17:20:54)

Mesh Malachi wrote:
zapper wrote:

[

Does this have anything to do with internet connection sharing?

Also, connecting with NM is actually easier than what you've described: NM calls dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant, so those two services don't need to be started automatically. Only NM needs to be added to a runlevel.

Well, it might be, but I am not sure whether it will be in the repos forever, it is poetteringware.

Besides,

rc-update add dhcpcd
rc-update add wpa_supplicant
then reboot or rc-service wpa_supplicant start
rc-service dhcpcd restart
dhcpcd-gtk

Yes its a slower method and kind of annoying, but you could do doas su

then type these commands in to make it faster.

I have done this many, many times (i have had to reinstall sometimes due to being on testing... )

wink

Also it is a lighter on resources service.   I am not trying to lecture just to prepare you...

I am certain networkmanager will be removed in the future.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!