Topic: Tor Browser or IceCat w/SOCKS proxy?

I read somewhere here that I can use GNU IceCat (or whatever browser Hyperbola uses) to access Tor via a SOCKS proxy.

Although I haven't used Tor much, I do remember reading that the Tor Browser is supposed to be more secure because it is configured in a certain way so that most, if not all, Tor browser users have the same level of entropy so that ISPs and other parties find it hard to track down particular users. How is IceCat configured in comparison?

Also, doesn't the Tor Browser allow you to make your Tor connections by jumping between different Tor nodes every time by the click of a button? What does simply entering the SOCKS proxy in your IceCat settings do as opposed to that?

However, I do remember reading from an article on Hongfire (Unfortunately shut down) that using the Tor Browser bundle has some security risks due to some coding flaw, if I'm correct. But then again, it was an old article and said flaws could've been patched up since then.

Should Tor Browser be used in Hyperbola at all?
What are your thoughts anyone?

Thanks.

Re: Tor Browser or IceCat w/SOCKS proxy?

idk maybe others will give you a better answer i my self dont use it and use iceweasel-uxp to go over tor and i2p as well,
javascript disabled in about:config and using Noscript addon
HTTPS Always
No Resource URI Leak
Random Agent Spoofer: with almost everything in there enabled
RequestPolicy Continued

thats that, other than that smile i was in your place before the best advice i can give is to take it easy and learn slowly, with clear principles im sure you will find answers and make the best config that fits your needs

The only thing I use tor browser for ever, is breaking censorship... that's really all the current one is good for, I think.

As for the tor protocol itself, that's a bit harder to answer...

tongue

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

rached wrote:

What's the purpose of Noscript if you have JS disabled?

5 (edited by rachad 2021-01-20 07:29:13)

Mesh Malachi wrote:
rached wrote:

What's the purpose of Noscript if you have JS disabled?

i found in settings that it does this :
forbid adobe flash
forbid microsoft silverlight
forbid other plugins
forbid @font-face
forbid <audio>/<video>
sanitize cross-site suspicious requests
turn cross-site post requests into data-less get requests
ABE
and clearclick
i didn't research all of them but i keep it for those! is it wrong?