Re: [Hyperbola] Going the way and packaging, the roadmap after 0.4

throgh wrote:

Perhaps you can provide a PKGBUILD for the start of implementation? When possible to generic compile the windowmanager without packaging, it can be also possible. No final promise about as we had also packages in the past looking first safe to work, but within chroot-environments failed to build.

Well, my idea woulld be Window Maker + GWorksSpace from GNUStep and some toold. Could the Parabola pkgbuilds be adapted?

As noted, we cannot adapt some PKGBUILDs without modifications. Besides: The named desktop-environment is not possible to adapt as it relies onto systemd. When looking around for the named packages, we would have surely more work with them as Hyperbola has not all dependencies. For 0.4.2 this would be not possible without strict testing. Only adding a package is not the full road therefore: The packages also need to be fully functional.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Happy to announce after hard work that we can include snort for upcoming 0.4.2. Only so far with HyperRC (OpenRC) for the moment, but the tests were promising. Besides: 0.4.2 will get some further support for UPnP-servers possible to host with gerbera. smile

Generic for readers and interested: Please stay ON-TOPIC. Hyperbola is only supporting x86-architecture out of reasoning. We are a small team. No donations with help, money and hardware is not making further progress for other architectures. But this won't be discussed within this thread here. Just to give an example about the packaging: When I implement a daemon-oriented package like snort or gerbera I need to rebuild those two packages about four times: For x86 32bit and 64bit, for runit and hyperrc / openrc. I need to test those four packages then about functionality. So count in: How many further CPU-architectures you want, the tests would be no longer possible being managed for a small team. Or we release the packages malfunctional and rely on the testing-branch. Well, we have not received much reports then. I think it is clear to understand WHY we cannot rely on more architectures. Bringing more man-power, more support: The situation can be changed. Easy and quite simple! But there is a difference between "visions" and "realization". No donations for developers in any way? No or just small progress.

Hyperbola is FROM the community FOR the community, but it is NOT a wish-concert while people demand something without doing anything. Sorry, harsh words, but that's all about. Clearly, anyone can wish something but we need to realize it afterwards. And I have not even talked about patching out problematic interfaces, security-issues we have in mind and many more. wink Surely we use different generations of computer-systems to test the most common points: But we have a testing- and stable-branch out of reasoning as we need feedback to enumerate and solve problems together as community with packages. And now back to the roadmap and packaging.

Sidenote: Nothing was deleted here before someone is thinking about. Only when something is going against our social contract we will take action. OFF-TOPIC is moved to another, newly created thread then. A topic is clear set for discussion, any other discussion for sure, but not here and please elsewhere.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Creating new topic was unnecessary. Developing for obsolete hardware isn't wise in my view. As proponents of free software, I think it's pretty obvious that an open ISA should be seen as better than closed one, it's a no brainer.

Let me remind you of this which was never taken into buildserver despite them meeting all Hyperbola contract. I'm not arguing anymore. Good luck!

Just to note about a possibility for Matrix as people pointed out within IRC: The current major implementation synapse is too much bloated. But there seems to be an alternative: https://github.com/matrix-construct/construct

So the next try will be to go for a compilation local. Perhaps it is nevertheless possible for us to integrate Matrix within Hyperbola?
Towards everything else: All is said.

Okay, sorry to disappoint: Matrix is consuming too much resources in general. Also the project linked before compiles only with 64bit. We have one or two exclusions within our repositories, but in general we also don't want to support software demanding that much resources. Besides after a more deep analysis we would break our essential rules with inclusion of rocksdb from "Meta" (Facebook).

No Matrix possible as it complies NOT with strict free software and is just another compromise with too much dust in the air. But well? It was an interesting tryout. Sorry again for everyone jumping up happy when reading about Matrix earlier. But here also to share about the insights and reasoning why we exclude packages especially.

Final reasoning for exclusion of Matrix-server and client:

- Server is using too much resources and don't comply with the keyword "lightweight"
- Server is not inline with "no corporate open-source" (mandatory dependency for rocksdb)
- Client(s) could be integrated, but nevertheless no client without the possibility to create an own server (essential for free and libre software)

Annotation: Please also take into perspective that we can only support a smaller amount of languages. GO is only possible with gcc-go because GO itself is downloading packages at buildtime and has therefore not all dependencies within a single tarball. And Rust is not supported with Hyperbola as of the not solved issues for licensing. There are no other implementations available for the Matrix-protocol. Perhaps there is a lightweight tryout in the future, who knows? But for the time now all possible was done for an integration to test. hmm

Better we stay true for our principles as HyperbolaBSD will be therefore even more a good platform and system. No foul compromises!

We have removed hyperinstaller: The project itself is nevertheless here and can be revived for further development and finalization. But for the moment it is not possible and ready for packaging.

The following packages will be removed and no longer part of Hyperbola for 0.4.2 coming:

randomx
ledger
fair-viewer
bitcoinlib
yt-local
python-flask
python-werkzeug
tpad-tools
zeromq
monero
python-pyzmq

Those packages won't return also with the upcoming time and also not for HyperbolaBSD. We need to reduce the amount of packages and will do that in rounds to come. If you want packages to persist, please give us a sign and take over maintainer-position for possible ports. Thanks!

Just to note: We won't add packages with corporate funding in the background, now and also for the future to come. The reasoning is easy: It is about the influence corporations want to get within that. So projects like Blender or also OBS-Studio won't see any packaging here.

No worries, I downloaded the ones I wanted from here already anyways.

I did have a request for tpad-tools, but its possible I might not need it anyways.

The only other package I have interest in, is the one I mentioned before, elsewhere:

NooDS.
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/noods-git
https://github.com/Hydr8gon/NooDS

This is the only package I seek currently.

It does in fact work, but only one exception as I mentioned... the sound is currently broken. I have no doubt it is fixable,  but not sure how.

It is a sndio issue I think.

Btw, you were right, melonDS is a minefield... in 0.9.4, wayland is now required.

This kind of way of thinking, irritates me and confuses me to no end.

:s
sad

More confusing probably though.
:s

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Well, if you can provide a PKGBUILD for NooDS and want to maintain it for the future to come: Yes, we like to provide it throughout the repositories. Please remember: Those sometimes strict rules are not to get you or others angry. Yeah, they sound frustrating. But we cannot provide endless packaging therefore when we need to focus also onto HyperbolaBSD and preserve stability and security. For a possible version 0.4.3 to come in the future for Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre there would be also the main focus onto UXP-applications and further init-freedom.

112 (edited by zapper 2022-11-08 05:29:30)

throgh wrote:

Well, if you can provide a PKGBUILD for NooDS and want to maintain it for the future to come: Yes, we like to provide it throughout the repositories. Please remember: Those sometimes strict rules are not to get you or others angry. Yeah, they sound frustrating. But we cannot provide endless packaging therefore when we need to focus also onto HyperbolaBSD and preserve stability and security. For a possible version 0.4.3 to come in the future for Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre there would be also the main focus onto UXP-applications and further init-freedom.

Yeah, I do understand this somewhat.

Maybe this should be something for 0.4.3?

In any case, the only problem it has interestingly enough is IN FACT sound...

so you made a pun...

tongue
https://github.com/Hydr8gon/NooDS/issues/115

I closed this issue, because I think this is a minor sndio issue that could be easily fixed.

That being said, its possible I might not  even need your help, if i could figure out which configuration file stores where each file is given its parameters for sound.

Aka, the one that transfers say, alsa-sndio to mgba-qt, qemu, iceweasel-uxp as examples...

smile

In any case.,.

Matrix is supposedly bloated last I checked just because it depended on electron... so that being said, I didn't think you would even consider it.

As for the focus on HyperbolaBSD, I do admit, sometimes I get mega impatient, when I really, in all honesty have zero right to.

I would say otherwise, if I was using a distro or operating system that was led by people who focus on stuff like eye-candy, bloatware, sneaky stuff, etc...

that being said, Hyperbola is one of the few distros, I actually think tries to do what is right.

Although once it becomes a BSD,  calling it a distro might be in appropritate, given that the D in  BSD stands for distribution...

xD

By easily fixed, I mean by someone who knows  something about sndio, otherwise I would have kept it open.

Aka, its something more specific to Hyperbola probably.

Just a clarification...

To make it clear: Version 0.4.2 is near final. Version 0.4.3 will conclude in its own focus only named before. We have no time to maintain and add more packages, just minor ones. But adding more will also need more man-power for maintaining. So we kindly ask into the community for that: If you want some packages, please step forward, create a PKGBUILD and take over the maintainer-role therefore like doing some porting the same at a point. The named maintainer from within the community is then in charge for the package itself. Also as proposal: You can create a complete new thread especially for this purpose and develop your application, your daemon / service as you want. smile

Matrix is not based on electron: You mean the Matrix-client Element therefore. There are different server-implementations for the Matrix-protocol, all of them are not ready as they don't fit into the concept being lightweight and available without corporate open-source dependencies.

My bad, I didn't realize matrix wasn't based on electron... yeah I must have been thinking of element...

No worries, I begin to think, I should wait to ask for packages, even if it means waiting for HyperbolaBSD to be both stable and have as many packages from the old Hyperbola as possible...

Aka, I don't know the timeframe and I won't specify, but I am sure that's a while away...

That being said, is this thread needed still? If not, locking might be wise.

Anyways, sorry to bug you...

Oh yes, needed for sure. As it possible to be used for announcing process made and problems also making transparent while onto the development with 0.4.x. Everyone is invited to attend, especially when it comes to help! smile

throgh wrote:

Oh yes, needed for sure. As it possible to be used for announcing process made and problems also making transparent while onto the development with 0.4.x. Everyone is invited to attend, especially when it comes to help! smile

Btw, as a random note, you are free to add if you want:

seems the newest stable desmume. it works with Hyperbola, if you do this:
extract it, simple enough right?
cd to the frontend/posix folder which for me was this:  desmume/src/frontend/posix
./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=//usr
make -j2
doas make install

mostly works the way it did before, with sound... I might add... but also, you can finally use cheats
But, there are a few catches...
slightly different repo location for the download, not sure if the current patches are needed for it, the gcc6 and gcc7 ones... and some other small annoyances.
That being said, clang could work too probably.

As an aside, I cannot figure out how to create a makepkg for this...
Might be your extra patches, might be my own lack of knowledge...

This is probably one of those, leave it to the community type things, I am sure, but I thought I should mention this, in case anyone has interest.

smile

To get this short I have explained all details and cleared up this thread (https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=771). Furthermore we can for sure review portaudio at a point, but neither desmume nor noods get more attention at this point. We have no timeslot for this!

We need to update our version of php from current 7.4.30 within the testing-branch towards 7.4.33. The following CVE-reports are reasoning therefore:

CVE-2022-31626
CVE-2022-31628
CVE-2022-31629

Good news: The updates for packaging have arrived, also now with portaudio finally supporting all three audio-frameworks for our Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre: ALSA, sndio and jack.

https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/ext … portaudio/

We have also added obmenu and obmenu2 now!

Now finished with the latest updates done: We are oriented to release Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre 0.4.2 within December. The final release-date will be announced when we have all ready therefore, so please a bit patience.

Here is the current state of our roadmap: https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … la_roadmap

Progress to be viewed for HyperbolaBK as we need for sure to review the licensing. You can view here in the git-repositories: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/ … /todo.git/
Therefore bUst4gr0 created a good working software: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/ … ecker.git/

Please remember: The tool is just for support and help, a manual workflow is nevertheless needed for final reviewing.

Hyperbola is focussed foremost onto working with lightweight applications and system-base. Therefore we also include hardware being not that newest for sure. We have enough focus for "progression" elsewhere, but without focus on technical emancipation, free and libre culture / soft- and hardware and also environmental impact. Yes, computing and digital information is a common right in our perspective. But this does not include the wrong paced "progression" without principles and values in mind.

We have therefore published also the reasoning for not including bluetooth as it won't be part of the system: https://www.hyperbola.info/news/bluetoo … -security/

To make it nevertheless clear: Hyperbola is community-driven, but also sticking towards base and strict values. To include interfaces with major issues or getting users in danger when using the system will be never our focus.

Before going to work for an upcoming package-removal we would like to inform the community about this: The package nmap is recognized being using a very problematic licensing comparable towards also Rust. Being exactly the license "BSD-like-SVN" is here the problem to quote the excerpt:

(...)

4. The hosted project names must not be used to endorse or promote
    products derived from this software without prior written
    permission. For written permission, please contact info@collab.net.

(...)

This means whenever creating a derivate from the sources everyone needs to ask for permission. So when there would be the need to remove parts from nmap we would not be able to modify the package and software itself without that. Under those circumstances we have no further choice but to remove that package complete without providing any kind of alternative. This also includes all dependencies. In this case: We will remove two packages.

nmap
vulscan

We will also provide a part of article in the wiki including another news-entry and updates for testing and stable to come therefore. Non-free software won't be provided by Hyperbola at any time.

We have solved the issues with nmap for the moment: We will remove the current version from our repository and nevertheless add an older version marked as nmap-legacy. For sure this version is getting the same treatment as all the rest, including patches and more. So there won't be any further problem and we can also preserve free and libre context for this package. The reasoning behind is that nmap switched towards another license with version 7.90, as a derivate from GPL-2 but with other additional restrictions making it incompatible with free and permissive systems at all.

Here you can read more about that:

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/105119
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=972216

Nevertheless as it seems version 7.91 can be treated the same as before the license-change (https://github.com/nmap/nmap/issues/219 … -792048244) it is also not a good sign for free and libre software in general because even the version before has its own license-issues. Therefore we will also add zmap as possible alternative, whenever we will finally need to remove also nmap-legacy fully with being non-free. So we follow the way Debian has chosen for the moment!

When people are interested in supporting further with the UXP-development: You can always report back therefore in a newly created thread or direct to people of the team. Help is for sure always welcome! smile