Re: Questions about used hardware

Other_Cody wrote:

I do not know if Hyperbola can use an Arch script as Hyperbola is not based on Arch for some time now.

Will it be better to work on solving the screen brightness problem first or the touchscreen problem first?
These may be able to be solved one at a time.

I have a mouse, so brightness will be great (my eyes are burning because it is always at 100%.)
Also I know that Hyperbola is not Arch based and I did the things about xorg config etc, but still no success.
I found that my lap top runs on swrast driver which is discontinued. I tried to change my intel registers as suggested here with setpci, I did lspci -vvv (triple v will be so much verbose) and I tried to understand somethings about my VGA pci, I'm currently working on it.

Do "pacman -Syu dkms linux-libre-lts-headers" then "make -f Makefile.dkms install"

benyouyou wrote:

Do "pacman -Syu dkms linux-libre-lts-headers" then "make -f Makefile.dkms install"

I did installed, and this is the output of the "ddcutil detect" command:

No active displays found

I'm speechless

29 (edited by benyouyou 2024-07-20 20:40:10)

Install xenocara-xhost and do "xhost +local:"

benyouyou wrote:

Install xenocara-xhost and do "xhost +local:"

I did, nothing changed still no displays found

Also "modprobe i2c-dev" and "usermod -a -G video username" then "modprobe ddcci_backlight"

benyouyou wrote:

Also "modprobe i2c-dev" and "usermod -a -G video username" then "modprobe ddcci_backlight"

I did these before, just incase I did them again and still no display

33 (edited by benyouyou 2024-07-20 21:02:05)

Do "rm -r /var/lib/dkms/*" then rebuild with the latest version: https://gitlab.com/ddcci-driver-linux/d … 4.4.tar.gz

Reboot

I do not know if this could help, but will putting

doas

before a command help if a reboot does not work?

There could also be

rc-service

to start a service. Or maybe a config file.

Though I do not yet know what is needed.

We are talking here about loading of kernel-modules, so there is no service on the first place needed. Just the concurrent loading of the kernel-modules and drivers. But for that the complete specification of the used hardware is needed. So listing what I can find:

CPU: Intel Core i7-12650H 10 x 1.7 - 4.7 GHz, Alder Lake-H
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU - 6 GB VRAM, GDDR6
Display: 15.60 Zoll 16:9, 1920 x 1080 Pixel 141 PPI, IPS, 144 Hz

Reading about that this is a notebook concludes in the usage of Nvidia Optimus, which is a critical point for sure: The usage of that is beyond optimal as there are in fact two graphic-adapters. So more details on the hardware is needed besides that the system is as said not very friendly towards free, libre software in general and also as concluded here already not very compatible. Are the pointed hardware-notes above correct? Especially Nvidia-cards in newer / newest revisions are not compatible with free, libre software. Therefore the usage of swrast: Also to note that there will be no further support for 3D-accelaration later on, except when using the integrated graphics-card - when there is one and it is possible to complete deactivate the Nvidia-card over the UEFI-BIOS.

Therefore to note: It is NOT possible to use Nvidia Optimus on Hyperbola and only older Nvidia-adapters are working better. Everything beyond the generations Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell will NOT work also very good. The reasoning is complex as Nouveau is not supporting newer GPUs very well, signed and non-free firmware-blobs are needed (which are not available here on Hyperbola) and the list goes on. So as said: A concrete listing for the hardware is needed and also the hardware itself is not very oriented towards free software, more onto pragmatism making it work for other areas.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

benyouyou wrote:

Do "rm -r /var/lib/dkms/*" then rebuild with the latest version: https://gitlab.com/ddcci-driver-linux/d … 4.4.tar.gz

Reboot

I did this in the first place

throgh wrote:

We are talking here about loading of kernel-modules, so there is no service on the first place needed. Just the concurrent loading of the kernel-modules and drivers. But for that the complete specification of the used hardware is needed. So listing what I can find:

CPU: Intel Core i7-12650H 10 x 1.7 - 4.7 GHz, Alder Lake-H
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU - 6 GB VRAM, GDDR6
Display: 15.60 Zoll 16:9, 1920 x 1080 Pixel 141 PPI, IPS, 144 Hz

Reading about that this is a notebook concludes in the usage of Nvidia Optimus, which is a critical point for sure: The usage of that is beyond optimal as there are in fact two graphic-adapters. So more details on the hardware is needed besides that the system is as said not very friendly towards free, libre software in general and also as concluded here already not very compatible. Are the pointed hardware-notes above correct? Especially Nvidia-cards in newer / newest revisions are not compatible with free, libre software. Therefore the usage of swrast: Also to note that there will be no further support for 3D-accelaration later on, except when using the integrated graphics-card - when there is one and it is possible to complete deactivate the Nvidia-card over the UEFI-BIOS.

Therefore to note: It is NOT possible to use Nvidia Optimus on Hyperbola and only older Nvidia-adapters are working better. Everything beyond the generations Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell will NOT work also very good. The reasoning is complex as Nouveau is not supporting newer GPUs very well, signed and non-free firmware-blobs are needed (which are not available here on Hyperbola) and the list goes on. So as said: A concrete listing for the hardware is needed and also the hardware itself is not very oriented towards free software, more onto pragmatism making it work for other areas.

Yes they are correct. Also I forgot to mention that I disabled my dGPU with udev rules mentioned here
I know this system is not freedom friendly thus I decided to look for a new cheaper and more libre lap top.
So far the problem arise from Hyperbola not detecting my display at all

So to get this clear: You can't just deactivate the Nvidia-card in the UEFI-BIOS? So there would be no need to use udev-rulesets besides Hyperbola will leave this soon after 0.4.5 and remove eudev complete. The solution over udev-rules would be then only possible using eudev and dependencies further local as Hyperbola won't support it any longer.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

So to get this clear: You can't just deactivate the Nvidia-card in the UEFI-BIOS? So there would be no need to use udev-rulesets besides Hyperbola will leave this soon after 0.4.5 and remove eudev complete. The solution over udev-rules would be then only possible using eudev and dependencies further local as Hyperbola won't support it any longer.

Yes. I can't turn it off in BIOS.
But I don't have any problem with udev being removed because Hyperbola doesn't use it either.