Topic: How much storage space will I need?

While I'm practising installing Hyperbola, I'm investing in a Technoethical T400s laptop https://tehnoetic.com/TET-T400s and the only SSD I can find which is supposedly compatible with it (assuming its 1.8") is a Samsung 860 EVO mSata SSD with a storage of 1TB.

I'm planning on buying two of those, amount up to 2 TB.
My current partition plan is that my first SSD will have a root partition of 500GB
and the second SSD will have a home partition of 250GB. All that free space will be left for
overhead provisioning or redundancy(?), I forgot what the name is but its to help maintain the
SSDs' lifespans.

Although there may be a lot of useful apps I don't know I may need at the moment and I plan to download blockchains for cryptocurrencies like Monero. For that, I need to think forward like how big is Monero's blockchain right now and how big should I expect it to grow in the next few years?

Does anyone have any advice to help me with?
Thanks.

Re: How much storage space will I need?

burhen42 wrote:

I'm planning on buying two of those, amount up to 2 TB.
My current partition plan is that my first SSD will have a root partition of 500GB
and the second SSD will have a home partition of 250GB. All that free space will be left for
overhead provisioning or redundancy(?), I forgot what the name is but its to help maintain the
SSDs' lifespans.

I've never investigated into SSDs optimization before, but from what I'm reading right now, it seems like 7-10% free space should be enough (or, better, check how much that particular SSD's manufacturer recommends). If so, you could go with just one SSD and save yourself some coins wink Please do your own investigation, though!

burhen42 wrote:

Although there may be a lot of useful apps I don't know I may need at the moment and I plan to download blockchains for cryptocurrencies like Monero. For that, I need to think forward like how big is Monero's blockchain right now and how big should I expect it to grow in the next few years?

Does anyone have any advice to help me with?

As to Monero's size, I don't think I can do better than searching for it: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comment … lockchain/

My rule of thumb is to set up LVM (Logical Volume Management) wherever You can. This way you can relatively easily extend your volumes later.
I use LVM on LUKS, encrypted /boot, no problems here. LUKS on LVM is also possible, depending on what you desire.

Btw, why not create another, third partition, just for blockchains?

burhen42 wrote:

Thanks.

Yw smile