Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

To be honest i have thought about replying in many ways but many of them could hurt your feelings, so i tried my best to avoid that smile as we all are humans and feelings are part of us and our experience, existance without them would be like the robot im using to write this in to this tread to you and everyone reading lets avoid what we all want to avoid, lets listen to each others and respect everyone wen there is no harm involved and think that the other person might have another thoughtful ideas and views on the concurent events, he might have gone though all that 90% of trash on the internet and found Hyperbola Gnu/Linux-libre wink as i said i will be honest throgh i agree with much of what you said and thank you for this nice being believable thread, i like facts and always look for the truth without it i cant believe any story someone tells me, i already know that the majority is using for example facebook, are they right why dont we just join them a limited life why waste it in working for an ideal world wen we can ignore all of this and have fun, share all our life with everyone else will they use it against us, will they target us with ads, will they try to sell us an idea, a world view maybe, will they try to program us to think in a certain way, im i going too far they dont mean it neutral
im not that used to write and share my mind, what im trying to say here is what i have already siad.

Not about emotions, just about the serious situation we all are into. Meaning just this: People using the concrete situation in different terms, so instead being honest and solving the points we have there is bunch of whatever-more. I can specify different situations on different levels:

- Absolute digusting hate to come, which was already there in different nuances. But what was breaking loose since 2020 is just too much: Had so many articles, comments, talks and also personal experiences with people seriously thinking that life can be defined as "worth" or "worthless".

- Demagogues going around and collecting different levels of followers around, we could call this "influence" but in general it is just this: Point of marketing so people just follow about beliefs but not about facts.

I think the situation itself is complex enough so we should focus on solving issues and what I call them is even there wrong: Issues people having not enough to eat? Issues about war and threatening through climate-changing to come nearer? Our beloved blue planet is not our own toy, but many have not even tried to change anything. So when all people want to live on the basics some of us do, the collapse is to come very fast. Therefore this whole thread, more or less as it is even better just to have everything without "Marketing" for example. Being believable would be just better to have people discovering on their own instead to carry every kind of information behind them in those (anti-)social platforms. Perhaps that's the best example as I don't get the point what should be so "good" to reach out at those places. And even though: Diaspora, Mastodon and many more just never tried to do their very own thing, they just copied known paradigm as it always about this for a start. We want to copy what is known and very clear marked as failure? Or do we try doing another thing? Just to use the example as I had the insights for Diaspora back from 2013. Long discussions with all different perspectives, not to be onto calling out others but for searching different solutions. What's left now to get onto? Well, not that many as it is all about pictures, self-representation, some meme-imagery and shortened information. An interesting starting point would be for example not to mark anything with "Like" or "Share", even to remove those functions and just enforce to get back into a real discussion. So people also recognize there is a person behind that "profile". But well, that's for sure another story to tell, another proposal for some posting or thread. wink

What I see is the reduction of complexity as very dangerous path. And it is not easy, nevertheless some information are so big that one individual is not capable to do all. But nobody said that it is needed: We can only accomplish any solution together. No hatred, no messaging or fooling around with something else. There will be a point when there is no longer time for nice, little pictures and moments when we don't go onto this. Besides: Whenever any company tries to tell they "host a service" for the better ... leaving this for good as nothing is done without costs, either with money or with the own data.

I don't want to use phrases like "elite" for example as I don't want to give in on marking groups, because I think it is better to name direct points. So I can also address politics very clear on that base for example. The point is also: Having a clear goal to believe into as many people have lost hope already in the concrete state of our daily living and so many lies or generic problems to occur when others tell about the opposite, meaning positive results. Politics are called often dirty. Yes, but that's the concrete approach we - yes, literally WE all - have chosen in one way or another. I have not a solution how to have Hyperbola for example being adapted from people. Perhaps the best way would be having all interested users to find their very own way to discover. But going out with a generic message would be not good. With this little nice community here, we have our very own place to create alternatives. With more people entering in a short period of time, it won't be that place any longer - therefore I have chosen the example from Diaspora earlier. smile Another project, different story but not a good ending as people entering with a concrete expectation: Diaspora is BETTER than Facebook, because it is "safe" (whatever this wording should mean in this context and perspective). When looking close enough, those sentences and phrases are fast lifted as only empty. But well? Damage was done and taken. So at the very end this is perhaps a point to take out from this part of the thread? There will be more in the future to come, more to discuss, perhaps neverending? But hey: That's the very nature of the universe, the very chaotic one. big_smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Being believable and so let's write some thoughts about dehumanizing pictures and words. Most of us have seen for sure some pictures, most time so-called "memes" expressing some situation and more or less meant for criticism. But the first question: Is this really some kind of criticism or just more for attention for the person itself leaving the images in some spheres (forum, anti-social platform and so on)? The point: First talking about people being in some way "not knowing", after than talking about sheeps not knowing their "nemesis" and then just more npc. You see the point? Instead to get into the opinion, criticizing the concrete points, people are taken away their humanity itself throughout those imagery and wording. You know for what exactly NPC is standing for? That's a Non-Player-Character, a figurine just driven by the computer and fulfilling part-time tasks in any virtual world. And the "Players" can do whatever they want with those.

There is for real nothing to discuss about that, nothing to see in any other way. And using such pictures, such words, won't help any discussion. The situation won't get better with such "meme-pictures", with any "meme-pictures" as they are also used for shortening information and making situations more easy to describe. But for what purpose? Just to be some "posting" and to get attention from others? And you think the discussion starts reasonable? Think again as toxic imagery and words, taking others their existence away, are not helping and the complete opposite of being believable. We all have a choice! And to choose just hatred and intolerance, enhancing the limits of the sayable everyday, getting even more near towards absolute disgusting deeds - with "NPCs" you can do whatever you want because they are driven and created by the computer - is the worst case. Respect is not only a word: It's common sense and it has to be that. But respecting fascism and fascist theories? Never, because they all end in destruction and unspeakably suffering. So freedom of speech ends exactly at that point where the idea to let others suffer is coming up. We all know that!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Ask yourself about the complexity of the digital environment you are using and what you expect from an operating-system. Just to look at some concrete examples like LibreOffice or Calibre: They are using so many dependencies. Yes, they have also many different functionalities. Is everything of that exactly needed? Ask yourself again and look at many free, libre projects these days getting more and more complex. This is nothing done from the start, but especially from the perspective of users and developers, as both have different expectations. The one from the user is to have the literally "swiss knife" for everything and anything. And at best nothing to do much about learning: Having different and more tools to get one task managed? Not the idea to follow. But especially that would be interesting to get more into. The reasoning is simple: When you have a known paradigm and copy it, do you think the copy is getting any better? You think to "clone" some anti-social platform is getting anything better, when you clone everything and don't analyze what is going wrong with? Same for GNU/Linux: If you clone known paradigms you won't get further with the idea of digital emancipation. Especially that point would be very important so everyone has access to free information and also can manage own data without being afraid loosing it - okay, with enough competence to manage it is one further reasoning and important. To build competence we cannot clone parts. Stating that all become libre, free software won't help and in the end known problems of our global society will get through again. So GNU/Linux get lost first of GNU itself and afterwards becoming more and more towards an opposite of the idea of digital emancipation.

So even my lines here are way not enough to describe all parts: To get over with and into an understanding we need to have a common understanding of slow progression instead getting even faster right now. Being believable, but with common sense and rational argumentation. You can see the opposite within the idea of "Open-Source" and especially there the point having a concrete difference of free, libre software and right only some kind of "open-source".

180 (edited by zapper 2021-08-12 14:22:59)

throgh wrote:

Being believable and so let's write some thoughts about dehumanizing pictures and words. Most of us have seen for sure some pictures, most time so-called "memes" expressing some situation and more or less meant for criticism. But the first question: Is this really some kind of criticism or just more for attention for the person itself leaving the images in some spheres (forum, anti-social platform and so on)? The point: First talking about people being in some way "not knowing", after than talking about sheeps not knowing their "nemesis" and then just more npc. You see the point? Instead to get into the opinion, criticizing the concrete points, people are taken away their humanity itself throughout those imagery and wording. You know for what exactly NPC is standing for? That's a Non-Player-Character, a figurine just driven by the computer and fulfilling part-time tasks in any virtual world. And the "Players" can do whatever they want with those.

There is for real nothing to discuss about that, nothing to see in any other way. And using such pictures, such words, won't help any discussion. The situation won't get better with such "meme-pictures", with any "meme-pictures" as they are also used for shortening information and making situations more easy to describe. But for what purpose? Just to be some "posting" and to get attention from others? And you think the discussion starts reasonable? Think again as toxic imagery and words, taking others their existence away, are not helping and the complete opposite of being believable. We all have a choice! And to choose just hatred and intolerance, enhancing the limits of the sayable everyday, getting even more near towards absolute disgusting deeds - with "NPCs" you can do whatever you want because they are driven and created by the computer - is the worst case. Respect is not only a word: It's common sense and it has to be that. But respecting fascism and fascist theories? Never, because they all end in destruction and unspeakably suffering. So freedom of speech ends exactly at that point where the idea to let others suffer is coming up. We all know that!

I detest fascism, and I am also getting sick of capitalism being considered the God of the world, by that, I mean...

its all that matters, $$$! (To these groups that want fascism/nazism/capitalism)

Money is not supposed to be in that position over our lives, we are supposed to be focused on maintaining peace, having joy and defeating evil in our lives, etc...

I feel like this world sometimes is in trouble, there is some hope, but people need to think for more than a few minutes, about what is right and less about what they think they need to make this happen.

Our desires shape how we live, if we focus on goodness, peace, mercy, correction, justice... we get better as people, otherwise, it will become like now...

I notice you post here alot, I look every now and then, and I agree with a good majority of what you say, but it does get depressing sometimes.

Hopefully, things get better in life...

Our world needs to progress, thus, we need to convict those who abuse their power and try to become Dictators, or in the case of some, they think of themselves as Deities...

Justice requires both mercy and correction, sometimes hard correction even...

Mercy for those who have serious regrets, correction though, for those who have no regrets after doing unspeakable things in particular, some cases are different then others though, and both is needed in general.

Long story short, the fight will continue, but I am more hopeful today, that we can win eventually against these fascists.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Thanks for the feedback, zapper. And yes, I'm with for a discussion for the future. That's the point even to make: I reject the wording "fight" for example as this has nothing to do with the everyday discussion for democratic values. First to start with the generic question why even to take the opinion of proven fascists into review. I'm not interested to talk with people wanting authoritarian and fascists movement. To make it clear: Dictatorship can be included in fascism, but fascism not always within dictatorship. In the end it is really hard to identify today where to find proof, that's for sure. And I don't want to give some expertise here, because I'm first only human and imperfect. But our future depends on many things and being believable - as this thread was started once back the days - is meaning right out more. Just to come back with a little more focus: Is it correct to have everybody working with GNU/Linux for example? The dream many had and also have these days. What would change for sure? Do we think the capitalism and the unfair behavior will vanish just from a day of changing? I don't think so and we have the proof even now as FSF, FSFE and many more failed to recognize it. They do recognize many good points, but essential parts were and are ignored by now.

One to call out: The on-going switch towards the newest stack. The newer, the better, more possibilities, more power and so on. But to fair and clear: Power for WHAT exactly? Power is meant the power of computing-devices. When looking back we have done impressive things even with machines just about some kilobytes of memory. So we have literally multiplied this by now and using that for what? Websites calling themselves "web-application" consuming so much memory inbound? Services running in the background, full with failures not resolved within years? And people thinking about computer-professionals as some all-known wisdom, but for what? Just to rely and smaller going devices full with unfree services and intransparent processes? Come on, we can do better but for that we need to stop first, going into analysis. We need to throw things over, because we are not talking about life and living beings. But when looking at people and mankind: People just in search for dreams. That's not bad, but it is getting bad when we just go over others, literally risking others existence. We need to stop, just now, just today. The earlier, the better. Having a transparent system, having a technological emancipation, having the right to compile EVERYTHING at own will at any time and for sure having the right to NOT INSTALL something just somebody thinks you have to. Hyperbola is an idea for more, not marketing, no "proof for another world with technological frauds". It is an invitation, so as this thread is an invitation. smile For reading, for thinking: A better for ALL beings, for ALL earthlings, not only mankind. We are guests here, so make the best out of the time we've got. We don't need to suffer, but we also don't need to make others suffer. Only to recognize own purpose is another point for failure. It was always time for empathy and there will be also the same. Do we have the chance to STOP? Yes. But how to do that with so many people? For real: That won't happen, but just one reading here and taking some thoughts with, can make something to move and I hope to move in one direction having a brighter future. We don't need big names, nobody standing in front, we need ideas and the look back with having a look forward. Learning from the past, not to repeat forever because there will be one day no longer "forever".

On dark days like this one we should remember: Intelligence without empathy is not worth anything. For what world do we want to stand for? Honest, open, transparent and believable? Or the opposite? Just to think within some groups? Well, we pay a price for all of that now and within the future, for all the suffering our actions cause. And we as global humanity will pay for sure, wherever people stop listening towards facts combined with empathy. roll

throgh wrote:

On dark days like this one we should remember: Intelligence without empathy is not worth anything. For what world do we want to stand for? Honest, open, transparent and believable? Or the opposite? Just to think within some groups? Well, we pay a price for all of that now and within the future, for all the suffering our actions cause. And we as global humanity will pay for sure, wherever people stop listening towards facts combined with empathy. roll

Things are very complex, even insane right now...

I am hoping things get better, due to their odd nature right now.

Anti vaxxers though, should really be evaluated, for their psyche, because they probably have more than a few screws loose... 

That's just my opinion though...

Mostly, I am confused and somewhat depressed by their hatred of the truth.

Nazis/fascists/extremists seem to prefer the wide gate.

I hope our world gets the revival of morality it needs to fix these issues.

Hey zapper, thanks again. smile
The posting was also meant as reaction towards the last happenings on the world regarding the takeover of more and more authoritarian groups and politics, while democratic values are just either reacting too late or even do nothing because of so-called "national interests". There are many desasters going on these days and many people pay with their life for non-reactions or dealing just with "interests". So the circle is going around, because therefore we can see upcoming wrong following towards fascists and fanatics, making that even more worse. All based on ignorance and resulting arrogance. Democratic values are important and essential for emancipation and participation, but they are literally just used as phrasing and this has to stop immediately.

But what should I say? A global society cannot function, when the most little part is not working also: Meaning the communication between two beings for example. So we are for real at one central point with being believable, meaning also talking and clear information. Not helpful when we stop doing that for sure as we all should see right now. Not meant to anyone here, just meant as generic construction as I can see that in daily life and in also different situations.

And to the end a more or less shortened sentence to describe capitalism in our days, used for thoughts and not for any further solution as this is a task for us all:

Capitalism? You buy things you do not need with money you do not have to impress people you do not want to stand.
Capitalism! You leave people behind, because your only empathy is for yourself and for the things you own instead.

Capitalism means that you own things, but no further empathy for everything else when standing in your way to reach goals.

Building a system with simple but for sure also stable and safe basics, for all earthlings. wink
Just to add: I don't think a fast created alternative can help in any way. But please: Start to discuss for another system, with other basics. It is not about trading or money in general. It is about to recognize the own responsibility we have. The tragedies in the last days around the world are direct consequences of failures.

Privacy requires good security, and freedom requires good privacy, thus...

Freedom needs good privacy, and good privacy needs good security...

People who don't see this, I shake my head at...

Btw, I agree, capitalism very much is, you are doing something right if you are rich and doing something wrong if you are poor.

This of course takes nothing else into account, aka, its a shallow type of government to use by ITSELF...

Again, as I say... Balance is key!  Though, I do think we need more accountability when it comes to our rulers more than our citizens...

Seems like the opposite happens way too often. I will say though, good thing there are other countries, in europe that have sanity regarding this.

Alt right = poison

Mega alt right = downright malevolence...

Anything beyond that is pure evil, of course, extremism does go both ways and extremism is always bad... the problem is people have different ideas what extremism is, thus... things can be complex...

That being said,  history needs to be taught correctly, the whole truth, or arrogance, pride and other boastful nonsense will begin to form in peoples hearts, minds... etc...

Hyperbola is a project which actually has I would say, the most sense of any distro out there.

Hey zapper, thanks for the input. Some more thoughts from me: Privacy and security requires also a willing individual to look at data-issues. And for sure a big amount of media-competence is missing in these days as people think some imagery just being funny, while in fact they are more the complete opposite. One example is - as you already named through alt-right: The so-called "meme" for "Pepe the frog". I am always surprised when people use imagery from that point because they thought it look funny. And this is not only meant for this: In general I have not seen any kind of "meme" being more than shortening towards information and facts, so not helping for a good discussion. The only usage for "meme"-imagery is for provocation and the displacement of discourse culture. But to recognize this we need to be taught just more competence, especially also in history as you've said. Here is the point that people don't see the roots of words often correct: A prominent example is the word "idiot" which has many roots but also problems, because it is used just too simple instead to describe an ignorant and / or arrogant action as it is for sure. When looking back "idiot" is / was also used for people with disabilities and mostly ends up with ableism in the end. For sure many don't mean this in especially that way. And I've used the word only as an example!

But the point is about the so-called "modern communication": Just too quick usage of imagery and harsh words, no further interest for research and also no reflection what can be done better. Our global society seems to have a problem to admit failures from the ground up and there is so much done just to keep up some masquerade. The resulting charade is also one reasoning people loosing their hope or tend to go for more extreme reactions, which is done step by step and risen also through illusions and disgusting lies. But here comes the concept of a vicious circle into the playground: As I've said people needs also the will for a change. When there is no will to get something done, nothing is for sure changed for the better or even the opposite and it is going in endless circles of rising hatred. It would be helpful when people care more about their way to address things, reflect their actions and also words and in the end also look out for data - all data for sure. When we not care about own data, we also don't care about the data of others. And a global society being onto no privacy and security is able to do even more malevolent things instead change towards respect and as you've said taught correctly the whole truth.
Especially when it comes to the creation of so-called "fake news": I'd call them just lies, but lies are told very much onto the basis of propaganda instead of solid facts. But where is the difference between "marketing", "propaganda" or "friendly meant messaging"? We see those phrases going to be more fluid and having no further media-competence is very much appreciated for all participants to spread even more lies, making even more the parts fluid as all named words have for sure a clear definition.

More or less with the upcoming of (anti-)social platforms, with even more self-centered coccrease with the digital self-portrait we'll loose the ability to say what is correct and what is not. And a global society loosing that in combination with trust and hope is in any part not good. So I can only warn all for going down this way. We are all free to do, but we can also loose that all within moments. And democratic values are so important, same as the right for having all beings without any harm and suffering. Get on with competence, build it, reflect yourself, help others to reflect and safe the data. And a first step is to avoid especially shortened phrasing and messaging as mostly those don't help for any description or learning the whole situation. Shortening phrases, including "meme"-imagery, are used for simplified situations. But complex situations and facts cannot be simplified, they can be perhaps subdivided to have information one can read and learn better. In the end complexity stays there and when we try to explain something complex deterministic it will be in any case wrong. There are so many possibilities to simplify information or even white-washing horrors done in the past by just stating some parts while leaving the whole picture and consequences out.

Just because I understand computing-devices in some way I'm not able to understand all human interaction or the consequences or the complexity of consequences can have. But there we have the arrogance as many people are self-declaring themselves as "digital natives" and being therefore able to get all data within seconds. Another shortened phrase as it depends where to search, how to search and also getting all sources at once. So the global network can be helpful, but also just more of a problem in the same moment. I hope we get this point one day before it is too late in one way or another: Any authoritarian system using all parts of modern technology is more than only horror, any human society not caring about all members the same. I hope we get the point to deal with literally information-overflow and get important parts worked onto!

At last quotes from some very fitting movie The Great Dictator as Charlie Chaplin made important statements in the final speech:

(...) We want to live by each other’s happiness - not by each other’s misery. We don’t want to hate and despise one another. In this world there is room for everyone. And the good earth is rich and can provide for everyone. The way of life can be free and beautiful, but we have lost the way. (...)

(...) We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. (...)

(...) Don’t fight for slavery! Fight for liberty! (...)

(...) Let us fight to free the world - to do away with national barriers - to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. (...)

So the global network can teach both and I think we have to confront ourselves with that: Is it helpful to be taught hatred and intolerance? To follow authoritarian ideas? Better to say clearly NO when it is needed and have clear statement. And freedom for ONLY one group of beings is not worth the name itself, as not being believable by itself and creates more suffering, so more lost of hope and more hatred. But start with words as people can be a lot evil, oblique, misery, liar, hypocrite, corrupt, murderer, hangman, racists, fascists, dirty and characterless. Name it clear, dear "people of the global internet". Do not use words taking humanity away, please do not! It all started and starts with words and then ends with more, breaking this circle as this was long before the global network used but we have always the chance to change this.

And for all readers thinking I'm just too over the edge: Just look onto the movies from the Purge-series, especially now the newest one. You should be able to recognize those problems I'm talking about and the newest one goes even further now, mixing all together with latest developments. You think hatred is just "something normal"? Well, think again. History has proven right straight what hatred can do, daily happenings on beloved earth show it also and you want to "play" with it? Playing with fire or literally bombs can be compared to that, same risk. And better to draw consequences and please correct ones as those movies show the deadly parts for a reason, they are nothing to be rebuilt and a clear warning from creators and actors. Respect the warning, as there are literally uncountable more from books, movies and many in other directions.

You think Wikipedia is free and neutral when thinking about being believable? Think again: Is the capitalism free and neutral? The answer is easy to be given first simplified: No. Of course it is not that easy per definition, but the project Wikipedia is not that kind of independent, not that kind of free. There are enough examples in the past of manipulated articles, about groups and individuals paid to change articles. This does not make the idea a bad one, but it should be a point to remember when we talk about free culture and about that point here within this thread. It was mentioned already as "the hatred of truth" (thanks to you, zapper) and yes: When it is about power and greed, people forget about truth and facts right from the start. It is just about having and forming the part of arguments to be used for. A system being damaged to the ground cannot be repaired at one point and that's one kind of reasoning why there is need for another point within free soft- and hardware, including free culture. You cannot make any kind of compromise with damaged parts: The kernel from Linux (without GNU) has many problems with firmware-blobs, many frameworks left only on Linux are with flaws and problems, right away too big and for sure many projects have forgotten about their roots: Free information, facts and truth, open data and no hidden service-integration or something else.

So Wikipedia is per definition a good idea and will stay that way, but the point we fail is the human interaction. Even if some people have only good intentions, where is the point we recognize others don't have that because they only see themselves? That's also not bad, not evil or something, it is just the point always mentioned: The ignorance of us human beings. We should start to recognize it because it is about time finding ways to interact clear. That does not mean doing harm to others, please in any way not. It is just the point to communicate at first: Manipulation is seen, consequences taken. Otherwise the question: Where do we end when we cannot say any longer where the facts end and lies are up ahead? And there are no "alternate facts", they are just this called: Lies. We need no more of them, we need less.

The world is diverse and so are those individual viewpoints we human beings have the same. Some of them are for sure despicable  because they are hurting others. You know what ableism is? It is the word for discrimination and social prejudice against beings with disabilities and people who are perceived to be disabled. So when you look onto others and call them something: Wouldn't it be better to describe the concrete situation and what is the problem within? Beings with problems within their mental development have nothing to do with common ignorance or even hatred as those are non-denominational diseases. They are part of our community and need solidarity. Ignorance and arrogance don't need solidarity and help. Reading through threads of the community behind free, libre software there are enough words and shortened descriptions being in this category. A decision can be for sure shortened, the person or group behind more or less ignorant. But that's a concrete description for being believable, nothing more. Calling now the individuals or the group some hateful names change even more and takes others into this. Describing fascists being "dumb" for example is even worse, because they want to hurt others intentionally and made their decision. People with disabilities have not and have nothing to do with this.

And for sure this is only a recommendation based on own experiences: A respectful chosen language makes a difference, quite more often as everybody thinks. Why being harsh and full with aggressions? Words can make a difference. So we can choose to do this and I think we are able to do that. So why even bother with more ignorance on other levels? wink

throgh wrote:

The world is diverse and so are those individual viewpoints we human beings have the same. Some of them are for sure despicable  because they are hurting others. You know what ableism is? It is the word for discrimination and social prejudice against beings with disabilities and people who are perceived to be disabled. So when you look onto others and call them something: Wouldn't it be better to describe the concrete situation and what is the problem within? Beings with problems within their mental development have nothing to do with common ignorance or even hatred as those are non-denominational diseases. They are part of our community and need solidarity. Ignorance and arrogance don't need solidarity and help. Reading through threads of the community behind free, libre software there are enough words and shortened descriptions being in this category. A decision can be for sure shortened, the person or group behind more or less ignorant. But that's a concrete description for being believable, nothing more. Calling now the individuals or the group some hateful names change even more and takes others into this. Describing fascists being "dumb" for example is even worse, because they want to hurt others intentionally and made their decision. People with disabilities have not and have nothing to do with this.

And for sure this is only a recommendation based on own experiences: A respectful chosen language makes a difference, quite more often as everybody thinks. Why being harsh and full with aggressions? Words can make a difference. So we can choose to do this and I think we are able to do that. So why even bother with more ignorance on other levels? wink

Yeah, your right, hate doesn't solve anything, I guess I was just venting my frustrations, that people are willing to deny truth and hold onto their pride, no matter the consequences...

Boasting of yourself is a good way to become an extremist in some way, or a megalomaniac, you see...

In some cases, it can be even worse though.

But yeah, I don't think calling them dumb was nearly as bad as calling them pure evil. 

Either way though, your right, I should tone it down tenfold, otherwise I am no doubt falling into their line of thinking...

smh...

Not meant towards anyone special, but I think it is helpful to remember calling actions directly and approve them being that. Harming others is done on that level fascists act absolutely intentional. So at best we don't go after them to mask them and their actions harmless. It is our language first calling others into action or remembering them for a reflection. If this thread can help for that, than it is a good one and another piece of the whole puzzle. A thank you for anyone reading, thinking and commenting! Thanks to you, zapper. smile

throgh wrote:

Not meant towards anyone special, but I think it is helpful to remember calling actions directly and approve them being that. Harming others is done on that level fascists act absolutely intentional. So at best we don't go after them to mask them and their actions harmless. It is our language first calling others into action or remembering them for a reflection. If this thread can help for that, than it is a good one and another piece of the whole puzzle. A thank you for anyone reading, thinking and commenting! Thanks to you, zapper. smile

I am surprised you responded so soon, you must be online and active currently...

wink

Like literally 5 mins later. So odd, wink

Yes, here I am and reading. big_smile

193 (edited by zapper 2021-09-23 14:43:03)

throgh wrote:

Yes, here I am and reading. big_smile

Indeed, the only way you could respond that fast is to be currently on the forums...

Otherwise you have to be alerted and go through the challenge, etc to post.

Anyways though, I wonder what awaits the future of this distro.

I hope it will become the new standard for which new ideals are based on...

Well, at least when HyperbolaBSD is done...

Which I assume will be in  a few years to four years depending on how complete it will be?

Aka, 2 years I bet it will be testing, 4 years stable + some packages added*.

Its all speculation, but I believe in you guys, you are well able to do this! God I believe is on your side for success!

Take that for whatever its worth, but yeah, I obviously mean this in a positive way.

wink

Not sure how anyone could think otherwise, but posting in case people don't get it.

wink

Going step by step as it is not that easy to get the system free from problematic frameworks and also being strict towards clear licensing and the ideas behind free, libre soft- and hardware. The progress maybe therefore very slow for the time being, but we try doing the best possible.

Perhaps to remember also a strange part in computing? While having even more memory on newer systems this does not mean you should use that right from the beginning. As I have read also some people making jokes about unused memory as "being wasted" in the last days. No that is not the point: Having 8 GB of memory does not mean you should let this being filled up from starting the system. Using even more complicated and bloated frameworks within applications does not make your workflow efficient or the result being more faster. It is just that: Sticking towards an illusion others tell. Is it true? Well for someone coming from a time where every byte was counting (to be fair: the time of Commodore 64 and even a little before) this sounds like a bad joke: Inefficient programs were nothing to get into back then. You think bloated software is accurate and you should make use even more of that today? Just having more memory does not make difference: Any kind of environment and application stays bloated and even more a problem of complexity. Yes, having a swap-partition and then what? Rely onto that and go further? Yes, you can make usage of all the memory for sure. Better efficient and that means with concurrent computing-tasks, not with any kind of desktop-environment or something else. And throwing around with old articles back to 1994, you think that is being believable? No it is not for sure. Remember this was a time where 8 MB of memory was more than being imagined. What we are talking about right now? 8 GB of memory seems even for some parts not enough today and some people makes use of this comparison? Better try again, please. Don't go for this as desktop-environments like Gnome or KDE are the best, negative examples of complexity and bloatware in the same time. More memory is not meant to be scaled for bloated frameworks and applications making even more inefficient usage and design-decisions. It was and is meant to have concurrent more fast space for computing at the same time and not being filled up without any decision of the users. As written in the beginning of this posting: A strange part of computing and also an appropriate argument to excuse missing optimizations for applcations, libraries and especially frameworks being used. Oh, the browser is scaling up to 4 GB of memory right from the start? Well, that's good because it has enough memory and what do you complain about? You have even more left for now. No, memory back in 1994 was a different argument then it is today and this is not comparable, dear defenders of bloatware. wink

Please stop with rebranding facts or reinvent history. That's for sure not true and should also not the basic excuse and argument. Just because more memory is used does not make anything better or even more blinking in the so-called "user experience". Even though the software takes away therefore also your part of control on what computing-time is used for. Therefore a bad joke when reading such false arguments.

You know that free culture is not just a phrase? Given proof for that is way easier than you think and so can be the question asked especially towards the people interested in games: Many of you are more or less totally fine with unfree software to be used under a generic free operating-system. And what to tell you, when the software or the game is abandoned? Not even longer supported and also not possible to run? Not throughout Wine, not DOSBox, not ScummVM. The reasoning? I mean the major native ports especially. Software is there forgotten, not longer used and no other project available to create possible free engines. The list of names there is growing and we have not even reached the time up when the DRM-platform Steam opened up and many users of *nix were happy about that. Happy about WHAT exactly? About the lie of a free system then you have shown? The lie being interested in free software? I don't say you should not use unfree software. You can, but especially flooding the system with interfaces and applications like Steam, for what reasoning? Just about being not interested to have your data saved - and yes, it is your local copy? You think all the software stays there as long as you wish? And you don't see the part where your own attention is drawn away with every new bit of release to come? But well: Then the interest was drawn away. Maybe come back later? When exactly and when do you think to preserve binaries, a complete set of the software to run? And you think it will run in ten years? Or twenty? With free software this can be done. With the opposite? Changed libraries, changed API and ABI. Then what? No further 32bit-support and many old games won't even do it further for now already.

But yes: A brave new world awaits. Question is: You have understood what Aldous Huxley once wanted to tell us about that? Therefore free culture is no phrase, same with free soft- and hardware. Preserve it, learn from it and be open for having emancipation. You can use the unfree software, but at minimum try to preserve it without boundaries instead of cheer up for every new more DRM and blinking graphics in combination. And preservation means also that there has to be not progress at any cost and price. Last one mentioned can be far more higher than all of us could imagine, not only about being not capable to run some kind of software any longer, also hardware and at last also data of your own. Loosing that means more, especially in these days and the time to come. You have not to jump over every stick the community is holding, not every new version and not every new library and interface at any cost or false promise.

So what should a global network be like? For communication and exchange of information? To be accessed for every being on planet earth? Could be and was a nice idea once. But let's talk about the current state this "global network" is. To be honest: More or less a big machinery advanced only for attention of participants. Not about talking, not about reasonable discussions on many levels. Just in search for the next big part to earn a something comparable towards power and this is only attention. Maybe positive, maybe negative. Even there is no further difference any longer as there are enough absolutely toxic behaviours to encounter. You think positive about information? Yes, for sure. But what next? We read about cruel deeds and catastrophes every day. Does it really matter? Do we change anything in our daily living so there could be any kind of impact to get something changed for the better towards others? Or do we just consume the next one? Go for the next stream, the next video, the next article? Searching for the next toxic discussion to take part in, making the whole heat a bit more with own provocations, insults and hatred?

As yourself: Is this for real the "global network"? Where people suffer another level, hated and confronted with just a complete new level of lies and false information? Yes, this network has its positive sides, for sure. But to value them and perhaps get them even more important we have to look closer onto the darkest parts and negative actions taken every second, just in this concrete moment.

The question is: What to do? Standing right next to others while they're spreading false information? Or take action and argument against that? Can you change the perspective all alone? I don't think this is possible. But to get hold onto all those lies and false parts, we could do something for sure with arguments. Not to repeat them, but stay reasonable and rational. Staying clear and strict towards empathy, that would be a start. Just standing there and awaiting the next "enterainment" is for sure the wrong way down the long road.

Let's talk about the rational arguments many people think to use for discussions with fascists: There is one easy rule. You cannot discuss in any way with fascists. That's not possible, because there are no logic and rational arguments included. They are for sure not in any way unintelligent - please stop using ableism within that. They only want some stage: Either they go for being some "victims" of having their "freedom of speech" restricted or they are left free talking. The last part is even more disastrous, because that's what fascism wants to look alike: As some kind of "alternative" for democracy.

That is for sure never any kind of alternative. So there is only one way: To prevent they can do what they do when they can. There is for sure no other way and it is also no "freedom of speech" restricted. Same that way: You are not free of responsibility, not free of empathy and not free of solidarity. If this is your "freedom of speech", please think again. If you have thought already about that and think this stays "correct", please stay far away from discussions with me as I have for sure no interest to debate while the world is in flames overall and people struggle - besides I will never have interest in that kind of discussion as I won't discuss with fascists or try to make them "friendly" (they are not and never will). Because this freedom was never meant that way! Being believable includes to stand up for others and defend freedom, but being also careful that this is not misused.

And there are many false and foul phrases used: One to name is the "Surveillance Capitalism". Sorry, but is there anybody thinking a system where you go for having others loosing for yourself to win is in any way "fair"? There is no such word, because this also gets the impression that there are literally other sides of "capitalism" being in any way better. There are no sides, it is all one and only some systematic approach. Please, stay reasonable and use the freedom of speech wisely, use it for the better and not to defend some foul parts. And also to recognize: Technology was, is and will be always meant also with ideological background. Otherwise we would not be here for free, libre soft- and hardware.

And to close this post also with: It is impossible to have reasonable discussions with people having no interest in rational arguments at all. What do you want to tell them? Please stop, here are other arguments and facts? Be assured: You'll find yourself into a never ending discussion with them. Yes, sounds hard but better to state right from the beginning: There is no place to debate about empathy and solidarity, they are absolute needed values. No place to debate against reasonable ways living together. If we go for that way, there will be destruction and suffering at one point. Better stop, therefore better being believable and reasonable for a future. smile

Being believable means also being honest. But well? Let's look at two examples where this is not the point. First of all Signal and their announcement no longer providing full sources for their services. Here to read: https://signal.org/blog/keeping-spam-off-signal/

To quote:

(...)

We build Signal in the open, with publicly available source code for our applications and servers. To keep Signal a free global communication service without spam, we must depart from our totally-open posture and develop one piece of the server in private: a system for detecting and disrupting spam campaigns.

(...)

Yeah, you read correct: Because to prevent "spam" some parts of the source-code won't be available free and libre any longer. Okay? And where is the trust into free, libre software? Was there something at any time before or is it just the known paradigm? Only for the marketing and to catch up with some people being engaged for privacy and security. But well: So long for that statement and more promises to come for "security".

Next to come: The FSFE for "Sustainability of (Free) Software". Here to read more about that: https://fsfe.org/freesoftware/sustainab … ty.en.html

Reads nice for sure. But again: And what about software not able to run any longer because of so many dependencies and the need for so-called modern hardware? Nothing to read about that, nothing to read about any kind of usecase how to run the 32bit-only computer and have it preserved. Looks nice, but when the "modern internet" is nothing more than a bad trash-can with all its promises, where to start? But hey: Just ignore bloatware and corresponding frameworks, while only big teams and companies engaged into them can help. Just ignore upcoming "Vendor Lock-in", because those frameworks and corresponding applications cannot be replaced easily. That's the future of "open-source", a false promise done with common ignorance.

It makes sad to see many humans pretending "everything is alright" and there is no pandemic, no others in struggle and fight for finding a place where they are in safety and just have something to eat. But hey? What is more important life of beings or capitalism? I think we can see the answer right now at many places. Thanks for nothing, thanks for having so much beings living in fear and even agony. Being believable? What kind of a bad joke. sad