Topic: Change the directory of /home folder

Hey

I have installed Hyperbola 2 days ago and so far i am very excited. It's nice to use 100% libre distribution that comes with openRC and uses pacman smile)). I am using librebooted thinkpad T500, and i have to say it performs much better than Artix i used before, nice!!! (Artix is runit/openRC arch distro)

So during installation when i had to mount disks, unfortunately i typed mount /dev/sdb8 /mnt/home instead of /dev/sda8... I dont know why i have made such mistake, but reinstalling again for me is not an option...
During boot OpenRC says it can't mount /dev/sdb8 cuz it doesn't exist. So at the moment i am stuck with just root partition...

Is there anyway to create /home partition after i have finished installation??

Thank you

Re: Change the directory of /home folder

Hey, yes of course it is possible. You need the installation medium and start from this instead using your installation.
After this you are able to use chroot entering your concurrent disk. Just have a look onto

/etc/fstab

and change there the value for your home-partition.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

Hey, yes of course it is possible. You need the installation medium and start from this instead using your installation.
After this you are able to use chroot entering your concurrent disk. Just have a look onto

/etc/fstab

and change there the value for your home-partition.

Hey.

Thank you. Well i have deleted the /dev/sdb8 and put it's gigabytes as the root partition... I have got another 2 partitions with other gnu/linux distro, however i would like to delete both / and home, because i have installed hyperbola and don't really feel like i need to use another distribution smile.
So these / and /home are /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda6 and hyperbola / is /dev/sda7 so i would have to delete move 5 and 6 into one and then set that as the home folder???

Thanks

Well in theory this could be possible. But first you should have a look onto your bootloader and if other partitions have made their "own" decisions when creating the basic filesystem. I think it could be helpful using gparted for the first run. Not to delete those partitions, better to research those partitions. After this you could do so, but you should have in mind that your bootloader (assuming this is GRUB) should be also restructured. What distributions do you use for now?

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

Well in theory this could be possible. But first you should have a look onto your bootloader and if other partitions have made their "own" decisions when creating the basic filesystem. I think it could be helpful using gparted for the first run. Not to delete those partitions, better to research those partitions. After this you could do so, but you should have in mind that your bootloader (assuming this is GRUB) should be also restructured. What distributions do you use for now?

Well i have got my laptop shipped last week, i have installed Artix Linux openRC.
It's a librebooted thinkpad, i wanted to get it to try Hyperbola. And i have noticed that libreboot i use is better here, so i dont really need artix anymore.
So i installed hyperbola few days ago... And for first time i installed it ok, but had problems with grub damn... so i reinstalled it again and typed bad /home... when i typed fdisk -l there was /dev/sdb8 shown then it changed to /dev/sda8, it's confusing

Anyways i am not sure if having seperate /home folder is that necesarry, i am not sure... I need some space on hard drive because i store photograps i take, perhaps i could remove these two artix partitions and then format them and call it photos and store my photos on seperate partition outside hyperbola

Okay, as mentioned above: The wrong partition can be found within /etc/fstab.
You can try changing this also without using chroot from an external device containing the current installation-image.

The second issue is a little bit more complex: First you can try using gparted to have a more insight into your partitions used from Artix and Hyperbola. Within the next step you can try to delete Artix but with caution as you should always have a look onto your /boot-folder used and where GRUB is looking for. The assumption is correct you are using /dev/sda for your bootloader? Then you can try install this again from Hyperbola, looking at the official installation-guide. smile

Oh, that was good idea... Well after reading your post i have decided to replace artix partitions with hyperbola, and also to get openbox/lxQt instead of xfce4 smile)....
So well unfortunately i had to reinstall hyperbola, but on different partition haha tongue. Well, thanks smile

I think i can handle the rest for now, cheers wink

Cool, when you have further questions: Feel free to ask.
LxQt is a nice desktop-environment. You can also tryout icewm, as it is really lightweight and perfect. Using a theme like this!

throgh wrote:

Cool, when you have further questions: Feel free to ask.
LxQt is a nice desktop-environment. You can also tryout icewm, as it is really lightweight and perfect. Using a theme like this!

Thank you.
I will try to get into some live cd and try to create swap as well using gparted... smile
I have already downloaded i3wm, nice!!!

No problem! Whish you a good and fresh start with this nice distribution. smile

throgh wrote:

No problem! Whish you a good and fresh start with this nice distribution. smile

Thank you smile

I am staying here, hyperbola is my favourite distro now smile)...