Re: New Libreboot release

Well, there is no "good work" in both as I've already stated. But please try to make a difference: I stay exactly at those agitation, not at some ideological thinking. There is another point within called in German "Hufeisentheorie" or better translated "Extremism theory". The meaning to scribble that down: There is some middle between left and right politics and the middle is the "good". There are enough indications around that this is a complete failure because this fails at the point to recognize the roots of social problems in a whole. Just the extreme political positions should be the problem? Mentioning hardlining libertarian or alt-right? Or communism? As if those directions popup just from nowhere: In reality the so-called "social middle" is the complete root for hatred, for harassment and pure cruel deeds. People hating others for just nothing more than their look or some preferences. A good callout: There is no final solution for that and in the reality we need to work every single moment again for a better perspective. Technology is included in all of that: It is done also with ideologocial roots, but is also developing as society is doing that. When we fail to recognize society as whole and technology the same, we fail also to describe problems. So it is quite easy to do fingerpointing at someone and making myself free of any point. The person I take for my fingerpointing is going to be than my "token", some figurine I refer for all problems but the reality looks for sure different. Included within all that: Manipulation and the perspective not to reflect in any way. A solution? Impossible at that point, in reference for Libreboot. So I stay away from naming scheme I think I have recognized, even also using some referring links Leah herself has written in the past for example. Just to point out that she has also crossed a red line by her takeover for Libreboot and throwing out people being engaged. Both crossed red lines measuring only what they have done and said. Nothing more, nothing less.

So the original Libreboot done back in 2016 oriented onto democratic organization and a peer structure was and is the one I refer to. The one being now the result of the last actions is - for me speaking - nothing more than a libre coreboot and better to use that for sure. I think the point is absolutely clear. And no I have not understood that you defend Luke Smith, but I wanted to make also clear that free software is not within an empty room and we have a resonsibility. Freedom comes always included within that. wink No will for taking own responsibility, means always also that other beings (yes, referring to all inhibitants of earth) have to suffer, humans included. And nothing of that is needed, in any way.

But that's what this thread is about also and so I'm thankful that you have brought up this point. For sure that is all very complex and to write down the full parts of failures for the "Extremism theory" will lead completely off-topic, quoting all links of some problematic viewpoints of Leah will do the same besides it will even do something I personally would not want: Doing harm for Leah in person. There is always room for a change, so I hope she remembers that she was once very upset about discrimination and wanted another way to manage Libreboot. smile When there is no room for changing, than there will be time for other things like a fork or people supporting more the free and libre Coreboot-tree for example.

Besides: That would be also a good point for further documentations. big_smile
So I'll look closer into that. But I think we need also to look out for possible ways further. Just to name a concrete example: When it takes about days to get information together how to install custom firmware on a mobile device (yes, older one and none with Replicant), how can we ever think going further? Technology fails being thought as a whole, soft- and hardware being reused instead of thrown away. Not only hosting more servers, including more power consumption, writing even more bloated things for a so-called modern "internet". Modern would be a real global society oriented onto progress for all, not only some.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

I refute and disagree with the point that I defended Luke, understanding the reasons behind something inequals "defending", indeed we are transient beings, I dont think leah is a bad person just has some less healthy habits of lying and deception, an dthat needs to be called out, I agree "left/right is stupid" I mesure it in freedom, and how authoritarian a system is. The rest you explained it beautifully, thanks for that.

Regarding specific implementation I actually found a kexec equivalent is called octBOOT
https://man.openbsd.org/octboot

There was also some interest from some people in heads payload to use such as well in future, also I talked to some old libreboot contributors, and they would be onboard as well, mostly active on coreboot at the moment.
HyperbolaBSD would be a excellent target for a bootloader given we could avoid codebase duplication, and lessen atack surface for some less maintained bit of GRUB boatloader. similar to reasons why we dont want wireless modules on now deprecated systemd to avoid duplication and reduce atack surface
this talk is a good resource for that https://media.ccc.de/v/33c3-8314-bootst … ure_laptop

As for the attestation bit we could use nlnet founded work in TBMtrustedbootmodule, this could also be a good source of income for hyperbola who knows. ATTENTION TBM != TPMtrustedplatformmodule
good talk on this https://media.ccc.de/v/SHA2017-280-tbm_ … oot_module

Has for the name hyperboot sounds kinda a nice name for a payload.

As for development module we should try to keep as close as possible to coreboot, to reduce overhead so like automating commits and scipting possible bits, like the codebase doesnt need much maintenance, using coreboot and heads and 2016 libreboot has upstream.

This is more or less the vision I have for it big_smile

Oh perhaps I had a wrong sentence? I did not mean to say "you defend", the opposite. smile
Sorry, if that was a misunderstanding.

But "left" and "right" within politics has their meaning. It is just that people misuse that very often in our times. For a world in peace "right politics" have no solution at all as being always focussed onto the egoism (at minimum). I stay more at the description to the individualism in collectivism and the collectivism in the individualism. I consider myself as a human form Earth. Drawing imaginary lines onto isn't my thing. Selection of others by their look and roots is not my thing. And following some demagogues or apologists for hatred also not. A united humanity would be my thing, but i know this is only a dream. As said this is more to understand that every being has the right for a living in peace and dignity. Incompatible with the concurrent viewpoints our society has. For sure criticism will be always needed also for some outcoming ideas from "so-called left" politics (they are not when ignoring the essential rights of others). In the political compass there is for a reason the difference between them including libertarian and authoritarian besides left and right.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

for reference: https://www.andrewrobbins.info/libreboot.html

"
Leah Rowe Coups Libreboot

It is with a heavy heart that I sit here today, March 30, 2021 to inform you that Leah Rowe has effected a second coup on the Libreboot project (yes, a *second* one) as of Sunday March 28, 2021.

Leah has violated our principles of democratic governance and removed myself (Andrew Robbins aka `and_who'), swiftgeek, and Paul Kocialkowski (aka `paulk-leonov') from maintainership without bringing it to a vote and has revoked all access to Libreboot infrastructure (mail server and master repository). In addition, she has removed all reference to our former democratic governing structure and edited past news announcements to make it appear as if none of us were ever maintainers. No need to take my word for it as you can see the changes reflected in the git log found at

https://notabug.org/libreboot/libreboot … ae47557d50

It is of my firm opinion that Leah should step down from Libreboot and transfer all control over the Libreboot infrastructure, including domain ownership, to either myself or swiftgeek and that she is never trusted to be a maintainer for another community-led project ever again. I won't hold my breath.

I don't say this lightly as I have given her a second chance already, something which I have come to regret.

The first coup happened a few months ago (end of December 2020, roughly) and was quietly dealt with and reverted soon after. Unfortunately I don't have an exact date as my IRC client is not configured to store the date in each timestamp but Leah and I did speak privately after reinstatement and I made it clear that coups were not acceptable and to not engage in that behavior ever again, which she agreed to.

During the aforementioned coversation and subsequent ones we came to an agreement on using a fork of the old build system, now used for OSBoot, to produce a new Libreboot release in order to get it out ASAP. swiftgeek was in agreement with this arrangement as well and so I waited for Leah to backport the build system into Libreboot while working to get my business off the ground. This is relevant as Leah and I had an arrangement where I would help her by flashing laptops and mailing them off to US-based customers as a means to decrease her work load and allow me to make more money than I was working at my subsistence-level grocery job, with the plainly-stated goal of mine to be able to devote more time to Libreboot once we began working together. I've been saving as much money as I could over the past five--almost six--months to start my business, encouraged by Leah, and successfully set up the company and bank account in January only for Leah to never ship any computers, stringing me along the whole way.

And the worst part about all of this drama? It was unnecessary. Leah, swiftgeek, and I were all in agreement on using her build system to produce another Libreboot release well before the second coup. Ergo, this act appears to be no less than an ego-driven desire for complete control over the project again.

I am deeply hurt as a result of Leah's actions considering I began contributing to Libreboot with the understanding that it was a democratically-governed project. I truly regret spending my time working with Leah in any capacity and no longer trust her at all.

Leah not only burnt a bridge with me, she burnt my bridge to free software.

So long.

UPDATE: swiftgeek and I have since been banned from #libreboot
"

Thanks for adding this.

31 (edited by zapper 2023-03-04 04:33:57)

i3_relativism wrote:

for reference: https://www.andrewrobbins.info/libreboot.html

And the worst part about all of this drama? It was unnecessary. Leah, swiftgeek, and I were all in agreement on using her build system to produce another Libreboot release well before the second coup. Ergo, this act appears to be no less than an ego-driven desire for complete control over the project again.

I am deeply hurt as a result of Leah's actions considering I began contributing to Libreboot with the understanding that it was a democratically-governed project. I truly regret spending my time working with Leah in any capacity and no longer trust her at all.

Leah not only burnt a bridge with me, she burnt my bridge to free software.

"

Have you considered forking and making your own version? Or is that not an interest right now for you or him or any of them?

Curious is all.

I will admit, this is a sad event.  She confuses me at times like this...

I think the real problem is, no one can figure out what she will want or do at any given time.

This all being said, I hope something better comes along if need be, which seems to be the case.

I don't fault her on the ego part as much, I know how hard it is to fight pride/arrogance is hard thing to see, because by definition you don't want to see it.

However, in such cases, removal/forking is wise.

By removal, I mean get new leader.

@i3-relativism

Btw, if you want to chat, let me know and I will add you.

I am interested in knowing, if you plan to do any forking is all.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

32 (edited by ConstantMotion 2023-03-07 18:05:28)

Libreboot?

That's burnt land nowadays - in urgent need of a complete, democratic & libre re-start.
I will never forget Leah's sudden, coup d’état-like havoc, wrecking the whole project.
Still feel deeply sorry for the victems, being thrown out for no reason over night.

Most libre and secure BIOS firmware you can have right now is an old version of libreboot, 2016 or 2017 or so, before said havoc. All versions after the havoc are blatantly false advertising, fraud.

Brightest ray of hope would be the developers of libreboot thrown out by Leah to team up once again for a back-to-the-roots fork of libreboot with setting up the project organization with lessons-learned measures securing a healthy, secure, democratic and libre course for the project.

But I think Leah, her online shop https://minifree.org/, and the now rotton fake-libreboot-project socially haven't survived what happened. All are isolated within the free software community. Because most people remember.

Solidarity and empathy are very important here. Nevertheless: Please don't judge Leah only. We only know what is open to read. Criticism towards Libreboot in its newest releases is absolutely okay because of the integration for non-free firmware-blobs. So it is clear where the criticism can be made. Let's play the ball, not any individual only.

The project itself is therefore no longer oriented towards its mission, stated before. And its democratic organization being forgotten and therefore removed is also a point for criticism. In the end: Newer releases for Libreboot are no longer the original project.

ConstantMotion wrote:

Libreboot?

That's burnt land nowadays - in urgent need of a complete, democratic & libre re-start.
I will never forget Leah's sudden, coup d’état-like havoc, wrecking the whole project.
Still feel deeply sorry for the victems, being thrown out for no reason over night.

Most libre and secure BIOS firmware you can have right now is an old version of libreboot, 2016 or 2017 or so, before said havoc. All versions after the havoc are blatantly false advertising, fraud.

Brightest ray of hope would be the developers of libreboot thrown out by Leah to team up once again for a back-to-the-roots fork of libreboot with setting up the project organization with lessons-learned measures securing a healthy, secure, democratic and libre course for the project.

But I think Leah, her online shop https://minifree.org/, and the now rotton fake-libreboot-project socially haven't survived what happened. All are isolated within the free software community. Because most people remember.

Well I think with regard to all that, she either A: didn't think it through in a megalomaniac kind of way, this would be more of what I hope is the case... arrogance does blind oneself anyhow as mentioned above...

Or B: She doesn't care about people's feelings and just wants what she wants.

I think I am more in line with believing A:

In either case, it would definitely be beneficial for more than one fork of coreboot that is easier to use.

I don't disagree with her ideals on less bloated code or her osboot like ideals of thinking or even having both in one.

Its more the way she alienated so many by not understanding that acting alone on behalf of a community can have dire consequences if one doesn't listen to input from others.

This seems to be at least true in at least one way.

throgh wrote:

Solidarity and empathy are very important here. Nevertheless: Please don't judge Leah only. We only know what is open to read. Criticism towards Libreboot in its newest releases is absolutely okay because of the integration for non-free firmware-blobs. So it is clear where the criticism can be made. Let's play the ball, not any individual only.

The project itself is therefore no longer oriented towards its mission, stated before. And its democratic organization being forgotten and therefore removed is also a point for criticism. In the end: Newer releases for Libreboot are no longer the original project.

I don't think I agree on what you said about non-free blobs completely, unless there is backdoor crap going on in the background.

For example, X220 supposedly doesn't fit in that last since the firmware can be disabled in that version.

As for X230 and other ivybridge, only if it has a heads bios like functionality is it probably wise to use such a thing, if there is any nonsense being leaked elsewhere that could be decrypted easily by three letter agency level wickedness.

This all being said, I am skeptical of anything after ivybridge, even the T440p.

But as for Leah, nothing against her personally, but she isn't thinking about the implications of acting alone.

Sure thing about X220 and X230, but the Libreboot-project includes quite more as we speak of now. Even though the T440p maybe not the one critical when it is about more one firmware-blob in detail. But that's the point: Making something open to something critical does not make the whole project better. In fact it makes Libreboot kind of questionable as Coreboot would be just enough and quite better to compile and modify then.

To compare Libreboot and Coreboot: The first one was the radicale libre perspective, only accepting hardware being fully able to be running without any blob per definition, including the management engine and more. The second one is kind of a compromise, not a bad one for sure, but staying at that point. To combine both now and calling that "Libreboot" is not correct working in any region or way. So in the end there is no further reasoning but just to compile Coreboot on own purpose and flash it. And therefore to state: To run an X220 for example there are just more non-free blobs needed. That is in the ground definition of a binary large object (blob): You will never know what is going on until you do a deep research and that takes time as even in one generation of computers and boards there can have slight different components in usage (reasoning is cost or something different at manufacturing time). Libreboot was the compromise for systems running free as possible, now it is gone with the merge into that "os-boot"-project. From my point of view: A very wrong decision ruining Libreboot as project in a whole. And yes, I disagree with that "os-boot" from right the beginning: You can do that also with Coreboot, making no direct difference.

So the only reasoning for all the breakdown of the team behind Libreboot and the further takeover was the "planning to adapt both into one" and therefore making all the same. Libreboot as project has lost therefore its profile and meaning.

@Throgh, If this is the case, maybe she should have made it more clear by having the roms named differently for the ones that are close to libre (libreboot) and the ones that are mostly libre (osboot)

In the same repo aka.

I think this would have been more wise myself to be fair. I don't know if she did that, but it would have made more sense imo.

That's one point: https://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/lib … 1214/roms/

39 (edited by zapper 2023-03-12 00:27:23)

Yeah, it seems they all are labelled libreboot... that is my only problem with her current issue with her having all her bios modifications on the same repo.

It would have made more sense to label the ones that are less free, osboot like before. 

But that's not how it looks and is only the software aspect problem.

Other problems beyond just the technical aspect/naming exist.

But yeah...

Okay, just to make clear point (not in relation to your posting, zapper): This on-going debates with Libreboot are really not amusing and the "binary blob reduction policy" is nothing more than a "light argument" to go now with newer mainboards. To name the point: https://libreboot.org/news/policy.html# … -with-fsdg

I would like to ask myself: Where should this "burned-in firmare" should be on those wifi-cards? Those cards don't even contain a processor to be able to run a firmware in the first place, regardless of whether "burned in" or uploaded from the kernel. Otherwise please correct: But from what I have seen there's no processor there for those devices to be able to execute a firmware. And that makes the argument really not working, also not in this graphic: Why should there be any difference between those cards from manufacturers? When there is need for any kind of processor, why should the Intel-version not contain that and demand also a non-free driver for loading non-free firmware? Those questions are surely already answered, no need for an answer. But this demonstrates the problem: Growing pragmatism is demolishing free and libre soft- / hardware for sure.

I stay at the version from 2016 for Libreboot as stated before. I see no need to follow the pragmatism and when using newer systems we can do what we can with Coreboot to reach a better choice and iterate through in time - more free implementations as example. It would be surely better to have more tutorials for flashing so people can reach out for technical emancipation on their own. Compile their own firmware-implementation!

41 (edited by blackhole 2023-03-20 18:49:47)

Personally I don't think libreboot or coreboot solve anything. Any attempts to replace just one bit of firmware in the wholly Microsoft controlled x86 platform is token at best.

I also think the whole "blobs" thing (used here in the Linux sense, rather than the BSD sense, though I am a BSD user) is a smoke and mirrors game, to keep traditional GNU/FSF zealots distracted with yet more tokenism. Sorry, about that - I know this project is a libre / deblobbing effort as well - I respect that, but from my point of view x86 is just a lost cause, along with ARM, Linux kernel, major Linux distributions and the WWW, to name just a few.

I remember reading about Rowe's actions several years back when the project was removed from GNU, by Rowe, due to the firing of a trans employee.

https://archive.is/tqLpf

Note the puerile language and expletives. Rowe later apologised to Stallman and Sullivan.

Unfortunately with "activist" types, their projects either become a platform for pushing their agenda, with the project itself taking a back seat, and/or is governed according to their strong opinions / activism / poitical leanings. As a result all others involved with the project either conform or are ostracicsed.

The other character, you mentioned, Emke, is a different case altogether. Their repugnant, narcissistic and thoroughly obnoxious behaviour is well documented. Some of these people view the "LGBTQ" thing as a free license to behave like a first class A hole. Emke is nothing more than a racist, sexist, bigot from the opposite pole, operating under the LGBTQ / FOSS banner.

That's all I have to say. I don't think either of these people are worth the all the attention they received.

Yes, but Phoronix is also not the best platform or source. I remember that time very good and thought it would get better. But well as shown here: It turned out else. Nevertheless: In some way Coreboot may look like a token, but as said ... it is just a compromise and also should be oriented for after-market foremost as it gives back a bit more control. When looking around what some manufacturing companies like Lenovo are doing: Old components in their builds or blacklisting peripherals like "unwanted" wifi-cards ... Coreboot is a good choice same way as the older released Libreboot, with most own builds done.

But there is nevertheless the first mentioned problem and also the pricing for hardware itself delivered throughout so-called freeom-oriented onlineshops. In an ideal world we would have free hardware, really meant that way, but as within our concurrent chosen ways for manufacturing this won't happen, neither with x86 nor with any other architecture from my point of view.

Nevertheless: Let us please stay at the concrete criticism itself, not only at the persons. smile
We won't change anything or anybody for sure. People have to do that on their own. What we can do for sure: Mention the problems we see, so people have the possibility to overlook the problems and get more into decentralized ways. Helping each other instead to focus onto first mentioned projects being than only depending on them and centralize again.

throgh wrote:

Sure thing about X220 and X230, but the Libreboot-project includes quite more as we speak of now. Even though the T440p maybe not the one critical when it is about more one firmware-blob in detail. But that's the point: Making something open to something critical does not make the whole project better. In fact it makes Libreboot kind of questionable as Coreboot would be just enough and quite better to compile and modify then.

To compare Libreboot and Coreboot: The first one was the radicale libre perspective, only accepting hardware being fully able to be running without any blob per definition, including the management engine and more. The second one is kind of a compromise, not a bad one for sure, but staying at that point. To combine both now and calling that "Libreboot" is not correct working in any region or way. So in the end there is no further reasoning but just to compile Coreboot on own purpose and flash it. And therefore to state: To run an X220 for example there are just more non-free blobs needed. That is in the ground definition of a binary large object (blob): You will never know what is going on until you do a deep research and that takes time as even in one generation of computers and boards there can have slight different components in usage (reasoning is cost or something different at manufacturing time). Libreboot was the compromise for systems running free as possible, now it is gone with the merge into that "os-boot"-project. From my point of view: A very wrong decision ruining Libreboot as project in a whole. And yes, I disagree with that "os-boot" from right the beginning: You can do that also with Coreboot, making no direct difference.

So the only reasoning for all the breakdown of the team behind Libreboot and the further takeover was the "planning to adapt both into one" and therefore making all the same. Libreboot as project has lost therefore its profile and meaning.

Depends... if Leah missed something and there is a remote function happening in the background that is dangerous, aka, sending messages about what is going on above and/or makes grabbing passwords possible, then yes for sure.

Pragmatism is not the problem you say it is, unless people aren't willing to dive deeper  when they can. Meaning, continuing to keep dropping support for old stuff in favor of adding new stuff that can never, ever be used without some form remote dialing, is not of any use.

Which is truthfully what some are doing...

My point being, the real problem is not going far enough in the quest for removing all possible remote functionality. Which sadly, is not her fault, but rather coreboot's weird obsession with newer x86 tech.  There is no point seeking that stuff.

PRAGMATISM BY ITSELF is the problem. If there was more action afterwards, to completely liberate that would make things different.

44 (edited by zapper 2023-03-21 04:03:12)

blackhole wrote:

Personally I don't think libreboot or coreboot solve anything. Any attempts to replace just one bit of firmware in the wholly Microsoft controlled x86 platform is token at best.

I also think the whole "blobs" thing (used here in the Linux sense, rather than the BSD sense, though I am a BSD user) is a smoke and mirrors game, to keep traditional GNU/FSF zealots distracted with yet more tokenism. Sorry, about that - I know this project is a libre / deblobbing effort as well - I respect that, but from my point of view x86 is just a lost cause, along with ARM, Linux kernel, major Linux distributions and the WWW, to name just a few.

I remember reading about Rowe's actions several years back when the project was removed from GNU, by Rowe, due to the firing of a trans employee.

https://archive.is/tqLpf

Note the puerile language and expletives. Rowe later apologised to Stallman and Sullivan.

Unfortunately with "activist" types, their projects either become a platform for pushing their agenda, with the project itself taking a back seat, and/or is governed according to their strong opinions / activism / poitical leanings. As a result all others involved with the project either conform or are ostracicsed.

The other character, you mentioned, Emke, is a different case altogether. Their repugnant, narcissistic and thoroughly obnoxious behaviour is well documented. Some of these people view the "LGBTQ" thing as a free license to behave like a first class A hole. Emke is nothing more than a racist, sexist, bigot from the opposite pole, operating under the LGBTQ / FOSS banner.

That's all I have to say. I don't think either of these people are worth the all the attention they received.

Coreboot and Libreboot in my opinion, don't solve everything also. I agree with you there. There is also the other linux problem which is allowing freedom restricting software to be added to it. The ironic part, is that its all freely licensed... which some think means its libre.

But it was made to break backwards compatibility and force adoption of newer software. Thus, proof that freedom respecting licenses can be used even for freedom restricting software if people are cunning enough.

I used to be quite a zealot for GNU/FSF. I still am for some of their causes, but I realized since I started *supporting HyperbolaBSD idea was mentioned to me, which I think was spoken about to me privately around sometime after 0.3 was out for Hyperbola... that yes, GNU/FSF doesn't take some threats seriously.

For example, if one type of software is all freely licensed under copyleft, but one is all permissively licensed but has an excellent security model,  choosing the first is foolish, if it doesn't have the potential as well as goal of exceeding the other one's security model.

Bloat = insecurity
Freedom is good

But those two things aren't always thought about together. It tends to be one or the other too often.

I used to think too highly of them, but now I realize that they are too weak on certain freedom issues not to mention privacy and security issues from freely licensed software.

Its just borderline insane that they put up with so much stuff that they should protest against instead.

Yet just the opposite is happening.

I think x86 including 64 bit could have a purpose till better things are available that are as or more libre. ARM stuff including 64 bit, is similar.

This being said, Risc-V depending on the implementation, Microwatt and Libre-Soc are all the best hope for the future as of now.

This however, is not a simple fight.

It might take a while for those to become available with or without full freedom.

Typo, meant supporting not using

I supported this idea long before most knew of it aka...

throgh wrote:

Yes, but Phoronix is also not the best platform or source.

I'm well aware of that, but I unly linked to the archived Larabel article as it contains the actual quotes.

No problem. smile
Since the older website is removed and also the git-repository don't have the data as there seems to be a cut between a year back and than towards only starting again right at 2016 this seems to be the only source showing that case. And that is another point for me personal as those happenings are forgotten now. Also the rest of the story as there was a change for a democratic structure afterwards, a step back for maintaining and change of the team towards a more open structure. All of that seems gone and only the current structure is known - also from the data and for the structure as Libreboot was defined as democratic project.

Good news smile - the silver lining seems to have become reality:

fsf.org - From Freedom Trail to free boot and free farms: Charting the course at LibrePlanet day two - Published on Mar 20, 2023 02:40 PM wrote:

During Denis "GNUtoo" Carikli's talk "Taking control over the means of production: Free software boot," a fork of Libreboot was announced. This fork, published at https://libreboot.at/, has been created to restore software freedom by removing nonfree binary blobs.

Would be a good idea to reach out to them for collaboration.

That's what I like about the free software community:
Shit happens, but things get better. Because the majority of the people are constructive. smile

Yes, I have noted that there was fork. But until today nothing more happened at the mentioned git-repositories: https://git.sr.ht/~libreboot/

So I would say we wait how this is developing. A constructive work together is always good and appreciated, but I would be happier if more people attend as GNUtoo has enough to do with Replicant and also is involved with Parabola as far I can see. When there is more development to be seen everyone can overlook the situation better. But I would also call for more help then if people have interest. Especially that's the problem in combination with the before mentioned pragmatism.

throgh wrote:

Yes, I have noted that there was fork. But until today nothing more happened at the mentioned git-repositories: https://git.sr.ht/~libreboot/

So I would say we wait how this is developing. A constructive work together is always good and appreciated, but I would be happier if more people attend as GNUtoo has enough to do with Replicant and also is involved with Parabola as far I can see. When there is more development to be seen everyone can overlook the situation better. But I would also call for more help then if people have interest. Especially that's the problem in combination with the before mentioned pragmatism.

Wasn't aware of this at all, maybe he should spread the word far and wide to people who used to work on libreboot.

At least for till Hyperbola's version appears, which may be a long time anyhow.

zapper wrote:
throgh wrote:

Wasn't aware of this at all, maybe he should spread the word far and wide to people who used to work on libreboot.

At least for till Hyperbola's version appears, which may be a long time anyhow.

That inspires me to help a bit:

Identifying and using useful approaches for pinging former libreboot devs, except the person with last name "Rowe", who has thrown everyone else out of the project:

• Turning to archive.org, retrieving a close snapshot before Rowe did said things: https://web.archive.org/web/20151230170609/http://libreboot.org/contrib/

Libreboot project maintainers

List of project maintainers, and how to contact them. Back to home page

Paul Kocialkowski
Ported the ARM (Rockchip RK3288 SoC) based Chromebook laptops to libreboot. Also one of the main Replicant developers. Contact Paul on the libreboot IRC channel by the alias paulk or paulk-<hostname> (hostname is variable).

Timothy Pearson
Ported the ASUS KGPE-D16 board to coreboot for the company Raptor Engineering of which Timothy is the CEO, and collaborated with Francis on merging it in libreboot. Timothy maintains this code in coreboot, helping Francis with the libreboot integration for it. This person's contact details are on the raptor site, or you can ping tpearson on the freenode IRC network.

Patrick "P. J." McDermott
ProteanOS maintainer, responsible for maintaining ProteanOS builds on many libreboot targets, and contributes to libreboot. This person's alias on the libreboot IRC channel is pehjota, or you can find contact information on the ProteanOS website.

Michał Masłowski
Maintains the libreboot issue tracker. Coreboot developer, has ported boards that were added to libreboot. Contact this person by the alias mtjm on the libreboot IRC channel, or find contact information (including GPG keys) on the website http://mtjm.eu/

Lisa Maginnis
FSF sysadmin, responsible for maintaining the libreboot and libreboot-dev mailing lists, and much of the infrastructure that libreboot uses (for instance, libreboot uses Savannah for Git hosting). Contact nully in the libreboot IRC channel.

Steve Shenton
Wrote the original ich9deblob utility (ich9gen is based on it), which was used to remove the ME on ICH9-M laptops (originally the ThinkPad X200, and later expanded to more laptops). Contact sgsit on the libreboot IRC channel.

There you go. Remaining TODO: Contacting all these people, telling them about the democratic re-boot fork of old libreboot. Who else does that last part now?
Who ever takes up the baton, please report here, who of listed persons you could successfully ping and who are left over still, in case it didn't work for some of the listed persons.