Re: [Hyperbola] Going the way and packaging, the roadmap after 0.4

zapper wrote:

Its probably okay anyhow, because tblock is in the process of being restructured to be more lightweight and/or being further debloated.

So no problemo!

Please remember: Once removed those packages won't return again until people bother to port them for HyperbolaBSD. We won't do that as we have no time for this. When reached the minimalism in detail we want to have, we will keep the system at that point. If no one is caring for porting a project, they won't be here available. Details: https://www.hyperbola.info/news/hyperbo … tribution/

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

The reasoning for removal of tblock for example is this: https://codeberg.org/tblock/tblock-gui
Just looking on the needed dependencies polkit is needed and I may recall therefore this: https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … e_packages

We have not done all that work to make there later strange compromises.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Where streams are hidden under shade and forests rustle, where some of them flee in front of the blinding and pull cold faiyen of their paths, deep in the thicket of the darkness and whispering, at night and during the day - with sparkling eyes.

https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/~team/culture/wallpapers.git/plain/finalized/magic-forest_1920x1200.png?id=cce2233954e7b35baefb3de32a8c077f374786a6

Done in Inkscape! smile

Meant as hommage towards one of my beloved movie-tales The Last Unicorn in regards of the drawing-style.

Only tblock-gui, but not tblock itself, depends on polkit; so I do not see how this motivates the removal of tblock.

There is no port for OpenBSD of tblock, so this lack of portability and POSIX compliance should be much more of a reason to cancel tblock.

You should see more besides tblock-gui as incoming further other dependencies for tblock itself (https://codeberg.org/twann/python-argumentor). As said: We are not adding endless other packages.

There will be additions for our goal to improve the "desktop-experience" in 0.4.3. So we will add:

pekwm-themes

And we are also going to optimize and update other packages, especially also clamav. As with version 0.105 and beyond we will not be able to provide it any longer. So we will preserve it, for Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre for sure and perhaps beyond. Our solution includes a different used mirror for the database and a separate package called clamav-db, which will include current signature-files and will get a constant update. With this solution we can make sure this will stay as independent as it could! Free and libre software means also the freedom of choice.

There are also other ways, like for example doing an own mirror with cvdupdate: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/cvdupdat … 9b4808b68e
And it is always possible add own signatures and recreate the database for own purpose. Only to note that to be careful about official database-mirrors: ClamAV won't allow downloads with freshclam if the version is not marked as "allowed". So downloading is active blocked.

257 (edited by HarvettFox96 2023-07-13 01:16:06)

About the following removal of heckyel's ηMatrix add-on, which has been sadly unmaintained for over a year, should I make it a fork to remove or replace all non-libre sources carefully in assets/assets.json?

On the other hand, are there further development updates?

To minimize the efforts you can perhaps create an alternative version of this file. The problem is here: We need another stable release if you fork it. Besides there maybe no need for further development at the moment nevertheless: Without a stable marked release we cannot add that package again.

Privacy activist Diggy (from DigDeeper) says that UMatrix (and, consequently, ηMatrix) is the most important add-on for browsing the modern web since it gives a lot of control to the user and allows them to block components that violate privacy, saving bandwith and making browsing faster/more secure. However, Diggy also warns that UMatrix/ηMatrix and other add-ons are merely a bandage on a fundamentally broken web, and that we should rather switch to more privacy- and freedom-friendly services rather than trying to mitigate harmful services through add-ons. Also, instead of patching a Browser to block harmful components, it might be a wiser choice to switch to a browser which doesn't support potentially harmful components in the first place: browsers such as Links or Netsurf, which have limited to no javascript support at all and which have clear built-in settings for blocking images instead of relying on add-ons, use a lot less physical memory and can be a lot smaller.

I hereby liberate ALL works of my own posted in the forums, to the fullest extent allowed, under the CC0+a waiver of all other restrictions
Promote love!

For the moment I'm a bit puzzled now what should be the conclusion. All in all: Yes, partwise UXP-applications getting more and more not capable to display websites because of their problematic usage of so-called "modern web-technologies". A possible example would be mastodon.social as you cannot even bring individual profiles showed - and we talk here about a called "free, libre" platform.

Nevertheless I would dare to create an own one: I think the mix is important. So keeping the UXP-applications working, having one like bad-wolf also and than the ones with not any support of harmful parts in general like mentioned. The issue is here that otherwise we would exclude everything and bring people in troublesome situations when they need to handle access for those.

Until something like badwolf comes along with built in features similar to a combination of ublock origin and a script blocker like noscript, I would say multiple options are golden.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

We have no further time to package and patch ematrix until someone steps forward as maintainer and grants the possibility for packaging as a stable new release. So until this happens the package is not possible to be added again as time is important and focus the same.

I was talking with one of the Bash and Readline maintainers, might be good to keep this in mind  if the Readline package ever needs updating in future (of course, I'm not saying that the readline package should be updated solely to address this):

Me: "Also, it might be a good idea for 'colored-stats' to be on by default,
in order for readline filename completion to be more aligned with how
ls displays filenames. My .bashrc came with "alias
ls='ls--color=auto'" out of the box so I am assuming that colored ls
is a standard."

Their response: "It might be, on some Linux distros, but that's not
how bash comes by default. Those distros can take the extra step and
enable colored-stats, too, can't they?"

Context: The colored-stats option can be enabled by adding "set colored-stats on"
to /etc/inputrc, and it makes the output of tab completion colored, making it more consistent the ls alias

I hereby liberate ALL works of my own posted in the forums, to the fullest extent allowed, under the CC0+a waiver of all other restrictions
Promote love!

Done: https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/cor … /readline/

Thank u!

Promote love!

As this was asked: No we won't include wayland and it is not planned for the near future. The easiest reasoning: A working system-base is our plan and for sure getting xenocara so far working on to package further. Besides we don't want to include software having more issues for the moment:

https://gist.github.com/probonopd/9feb7 … 9f2d1f2277
https://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/wayla … trials_and

And much more included in sources to read. Sure thing: This is a personal perspective for everybody, but wayland is most focussed on GNU/Linux and not for BSD most partwise. Yes, there is experimenting going around but this means only testing, nothing more and nothing less. We have no time doing that, so wayland is not a thing for now, not a thing for near future and also not a thing in general as for the moment. This MAY CHANGE, but please don't plan with that besides for sure everyone is invited to support in development. With more helping hands there is more to test and develop faster. If you want to test when we are heading towards the Alpha-phase? Sure thing, do so. You want to port? No problem. But please don't await us doing that for you.

I underline again: We are doing a system-base. We are also heading towards available packages. You want more? Okay, port that on your own and provide information for the community as Hyperbola is living with its community. smile

About external package-managers to be provided in a system

We reject other package-managers out of different but clear reasons:

- Distribution of possible non-free software
- Distribution of not compatible software
- Distribution of possible malfunctional or even harmful packages

All in all: You won't find any further package-managers outside our own named pacman / hyperman here. No flatpak, no guix or anything else. If this means we are not able to provide so-called "modern" distribution languages and frameworks like Rust or Go, we have no problem with it. If you are in search for this, please do it on your own to modify. This is clearly a decision for freedom, security and privacy, because you can always build on your own with your system. Packages built direct with and on Hyperbola are made for this system. Packages only distributed with their binary release are not supported, so usage is always on own risk. smile

Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre

The latest updates working very well in the development-test. Please remember that you can anytime check those up in the testing-branch also, switiching the configuration for the package-manager.
So for now we make slight changes and updates, focus on the last remaining part for hyperdesktop.

HyperbolaBSD

The userspace is making very good progress, so we can report also that our libc-implementation is now ported completely. But please don't think this makes the system full running for your personal usage. You can always step in and help us with the development. The issue with ld.so is also fixed.

This makes 0.4.3 for the moment the last release of Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre as we focus then on HyperbolaBSD.

269 (edited by zapper 2023-07-31 02:27:14)

I stand corrected then, if wayland isn't being included for a reason, then you must know something I don't.

Its also possible, that if OpenBSD ends up adding it, they will probably have it be like xwayland is for xorg only backwards. big_smile

Aka, making a wayland compatibility backend for xenocara.

Wouldn't that be interesting! smile

I repeat again the first link provided before: https://gist.github.com/probonopd/9feb7 … 9f2d1f2277
That's enough in the current point to conclude besides we have also to make the system running. So wayland is not an option at this point. HyperbolaBSD is right now even an independent system, not just using OpenBSD upstream. It is a hard-fork for the kernel, so this means it stands on its own base. It is a new BSD descendant operating-system!

And many window-managers are right now not working with wayland, being left in the need to add even more functionality just to stay compatible and working. We want to provide a stable, working system. I know the lines some people quote about wayland being "not that bloated". They misuse the definition of "bloatware" itself, out of the reasoning it works in some way for them. Yes, if they don't care about packages and the dependency-tree outgrowing? Their decision. But ours is another one. And if there is interest to test with wayland when HyperbolaBSD is available, feel free for everyone doing that. We have other and better things to do, keeping the system running and packages working. smile

Others do what others do, Hyperbola is independent and there is no need we jump ahead for others doing. And I repeat again: Whenever "wayland" may (or may not) getting better useful with most of the points named under the link provided solved, we can take a look on. Until that day Hyperbola does what we think is best for the system: First getting HyperbolaBSD to be stable and running fine. Then packaging what we provide already and after that provide a stable system-base. What people create out of this, is up on the individual decision to make at that unnamed point in the future. And until now Xorg-compatible server is fully sufficient as we have it today. Please keep in mind that we also need to look over possible blobs elsewhere with every new release published. So if you are interested to support in development there, feel free doing so. And to repeat: HyperbolaBSD is not OpenBSD, so we do not run behind the OpenBSD-development. We stay independent and this is an own BSD descendant operating-system.

And to quote from https://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/wayla … rials_and:

[...]

The Wayland "reference implementation" is a small set of libraries that can be used to build a compositor or a client application. These libraries currently have hard dependencies on Linux kernel APIs like epoll. In pkgsrc we've patched the libraries to add kqueue(2) support, but the patches haven't been accepted upstream. Wayland is written with the assumption of Linux to the extent that every client application tends to #include <linux/input.h> because Wayland's designers didn't see the need to define a OS-neutral way to get mouse button IDs.

[...]

[...]

In general, Wayland is moving away from the modularity, portability, and standardization of the X server.

[...]

Summarize in the end: Yes, wayland may or may not run on *BSD, FreeBSD has included it. But as mentioned: HyperbolaBSD is independent and our main focus is stability instead of the "hottest new development" to be included. This does not underline any reject, but the last time to repeat to take a look on own favors if something is wanted.

There will be only support for x86-architecture on HyperbolaBSD for this moment. We don't support multi-arch or have the intention to develop in this direction as long as we have not the financial support doing so. It is not possible with a small team doing so. So we ask kind but direct to stop those on-going requests in this direction. If there is need for ARM or RISC-V in detail, please support financial. Otherwise we do what do and can, but as said only for x86-architecture.

Actually, my point was exactly what you said in one of your recent comments, it would break the portability aspect which I don't think is something BSD land wants.

I think they would not support full on wayland but instead have something to make wayland stuff work on xenocara.  But yeah, HyperbolaBSD and OpenBSD are not the same thing. Different paradigms exist for both groups... so yeah.

As for non-x86, even if I talk about it a lot, do know, I don't know how your monetary situation is completely, now or later. I had wondered what will happen once the GNU-sphere parts disappeared and only the HyperbolaBSD ones remained.  I am not the type of person, who knows how all of this works.  xD

Anywho, its not even beta yet, either anyhow. I still think once stable it will attract more people to it.  But as of now, its unknown territory.

I do sometimes speculate too much though I do admit.  Anywho, don't worry if I do this, its just a habit of mine. tongue

Okay, my misunderstanding therefore. Sorry! smile I thought to explain more because questions rise up for many different things.
Exactly for this we have now created a growing FAQ only for HyperbolaBSD in its time of development and transition.

https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … olabsd_faq

About the financial situation: You can always look up the donations.

https://www.patreon.com/hyperbola_project
https://liberapay.com/Hyperbola

So you can also make the difference as this was also added today: https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 6404#p6404

After further review of the different types of window-managers and our lumina-desktop: No hyperdesktop won't be published in that way, but in another way. The work is not for the trash-can and will be part of Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre in form of the package fluxbox-extra. As most work was already done now, it won't take that long now until we are ready for 0.4.3 now. Keep you updated! smile

The reasoning for all of this: Why should we publish a generic hyperdesktop when it is nevertheless the users decision? We can make it easier, yes. We do it for sure for fluxbox and perhaps others can follow. Nevertheless we want technical emancipation and this means the users are in control and also in their decision being free. There were critical questions about making it mandatory and taking control away and we see it the same: Is there need for icewm, jwm or lumina being made easier? No. With a bit of research not taking even long enough it is possible to setup and access. So we provide that for fluxbox, demonstrating possibilities. wink

If anyone is interested doing more or different? Please feel free, but we don't see our task within granting a single-sided experience: You are in charge as Hyperbola always is granting you this and nothing else following Unix-defaults.

275 (edited by zapper 2023-08-03 19:40:52)

Actually, regarding hyper desktop, I don't know if you need one, but one very simple idea came to mind.

Have a package that draws in both jwm and jwmkit including all the sndio stuff and dmenu all set up and ready to go.

Aka, dmenu_run works out of box by alt d.

and that's about it.

You don't need to do any of this, but it would be awesome to have dmenu_run be workable right as soon as I open jwm.

Of course you could do this for other window managers, etc... and to be honest, I am very good at copying my config files.

wink

Thanks for  the link though.

I hopefully will be able to open the floodgates at some point. But as of now, not really sure if I can. Sorry...

Besides, if I send anything, I want it to be a good amount like I have done in the past. big_smile