Re: [Hyperbola] Going the way and packaging, the roadmap after 0.4

Both packages will be only available here in the forums and won't be integrated in the repositories at any given time. The risk for security-breaches are far too high.

python-werkzeug -> https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 5725#p5725
python-flask -> https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 5726#p5726

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

thanks for quick repply and feedback in tge previous 2 posts, truly appreciated.

Cheers Irelativism

Thank you for pointing also out: It is for sure not always fine looking when packages are removed. But trying to keep them here nevertheless alive. Perhaps the python-packages mentioned get better in the future? Or the attack-vectors can be reduced? That's the most common issue: The attack-vectors. And for sure Hyperbola is trying best to deliver a fine toolset, but the biggest attack-vector is just us as users. And as long we are not so many or not in favour with strict principles we are having more problems.

I hope we can get therefore a better surface over all system-landscape. Hyperbola has taken action with the change towards BSD, but there is more and I hope the free and libre community is recognizing possible acting points instead running behind convinient solutions. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Wondering, is it possible to get picocrypt running without programming language golang?

By golang I think you know what I mean...

wink

Btw, still around here and there, glad some form of peace has returned.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Sorry to say but picocrypt will be nevertheless not possible to be added. Just to compare:

https://github.com/HACKERALERT/Picocrypt/tree/main/src

To quote:

If you don't have Go installed, download it from here or install it from your package manager (apt install golang-go). The latest version of Go is recommended, although you may fall back to Go 1.19 should any issues arise in the future.

And the comparison for gcc-go here: https://go.dev/doc/install/gccgo

To quote:

The GCC 8 releases include a complete implementation of the Go 1.10.1 release. The Go 1.10 runtime has now been fully merged into the GCC development sources, and concurrent garbage collection is fully supported.

Container-languages like Go, Rust and others are generic a big problem: Projects using those are not complete when downloading a source-tarball. Some provide linking vendor-libraries. But on a generic level they all want to download further sources at build-time and that is nothing Hyperbola will ever support as this is a big risk for freedom and privacy. It would be needed to check every single dependending package and library for non-free parts.

As we have now the situation that hypervideo is no longer functional for YouTube the removal of the references towards that package is needed. So we will remove first all parts in referencing packages, to name:

smplayer
mpv
bake-mplayer

We won't remove hypervideo for the moment as there are researches in the background on what can be done. Nevertheless to remind everyone: YouTube is a non-free service and platform. To access this via free and libre software is at most only a compromise, a very foul one in the end. Yes, everyone is free to have other opinions about that. But this is for sure individual perspective. Hyperbola itself as project should not encourage the usage of non-free services within the packages. So if all parts fail and hypervideo can not be reconstructed, renewed and updated there will be no other choice as to remove that package complete. Keeping then some kind of broken link is also no option and besides adding upstream projects like yt-dlp is questionable as of the usage regarding non-free JavaScript - the resoning for hypervideo and its existance.

We cannot keep unmaintained software and projects.
The same strategy as for zstd will be used here: Isolation of the package being not maintained or being a problem. After removing the references there is a decision to be made for removal, update or fixing.

So far now: We will remove hypervideo and git-snapsign as being unmaintained from the repositories. As said: There is research in the background on how to do something different in that direction. But as noted: YouTube and other platforms comparable are not in any way to be combined with free, libre software. It will be always some kind of compromise when trying to address those platforms and it is one thing to do that throughout the webbrowser and another to use some different external application. Especially to have those in the repositories makes it very complicated and not only from the perspective of packaging. Whenever YouTube or others change their API or ways to access video / audio there is an update needed.

As hypervideo not being updated for a longer period we cannot provide that package here any longer. There will be done something different for sure, but we also cannot package other projects like yt-dlp. It will stay up to an individual choice using those packages in the future. And to be very clear: The "individual choice" is to compile and package something like yt-dlp individual. We won't publish any PKGBUILD here in the forums for that and please don't provide that here as this is not compatible neither with the FSDG nor with our social contract. In detail: To provide the possible access towards video-material yt-dlp or also youtube-dl is using an own JavaScript-implementation and therefore the non-free parts of many platforms in detail. Yes, this depends on individual interpretation to compile and install. So we keep it that way also from now on in regards to those kind of applications and packages! smile

158 (edited by HarvettFox96 2023-02-25 04:59:52)

As stated above, it's sad to say those packages never returned, and heckyel (probably) too.

Fortunately, there is Wikimedia Commons I used to contribute to, which has tons of freely-licensed and public domain media everywhere despite licensing and project scope policies issues and the use of vague terminologies.

We will surely provide all parts possible to compile and build alternatives in the repositories. wink
Also there are some other projects like pytube around for direct usage. As said: There are works and researches around. The major problem is also the sizing itself. In the last days we did many analyzing therefore. The approach to modularize is absolutely fine, but when looking at the lines of code it is quite more. Let alone within yt-dlp the module for YouTube has round about 7000 lines of code: https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/blob/m … youtube.py

That's quite the opposite of being small for sure and this is one module. There are more modules and therefore platforms included within those projects. Yes, especially this is making them attractive for sure. But this is making also kind of more as auditing that amount of code is even more complicated. Personally I won't state anyone what to do, but it is surely better to think right away about "streaming" those days. Not only from the technical aspect alone, but that's another topic. Just to show the insights as hypervideo used the same base. A fix would be nevertheless possible if there is interest and also it would be possible to revive the package, when someone is interested to step forward as maintainer.

160 (edited by zapper 2023-02-26 20:31:30)

throgh wrote:

Sorry to say but picocrypt will be nevertheless not possible to be added. Just to compare:

https://github.com/HACKERALERT/Picocrypt/tree/main/src

To quote:

If you don't have Go installed, download it from here or install it from your package manager (apt install golang-go). The latest version of Go is recommended, although you may fall back to Go 1.19 should any issues arise in the future.

And the comparison for gcc-go here: https://go.dev/doc/install/gccgo

To quote:

The GCC 8 releases include a complete implementation of the Go 1.10.1 release. The Go 1.10 runtime has now been fully merged into the GCC development sources, and concurrent garbage collection is fully supported.

Container-languages like Go, Rust and others are generic a big problem: Projects using those are not complete when downloading a source-tarball. Some provide linking vendor-libraries. But on a generic level they all want to download further sources at build-time and that is nothing Hyperbola will ever support as this is a big risk for freedom and privacy. It would be needed to check every single dependending package and library for non-free parts.

Do you know of anything more secure then? Point being, is pass better in security?

Reason I had interest in picocrypt, is it had argon2 and specific chacha algorithms as options.

I wonder if its possible to do the same to pass, or if it already has it.

Food for thought, if nothing else, but for me.

Oh, btw I noticed xsct was removed from packages...

the one for set color temperature, wondered why.

I could have sworn it had been added at one point anyhow.

Unless I am mistaken?

No, the package xsct was not removed as it was not fully build until now.

throgh wrote:

No, the package xsct was not removed as it was not fully build until now.

Ah, okay, just checking. I thought it had been added already.

That's my  bad then, regarding xsct...

Silly me then.

Do you know of any encryption software that has algorithms like argon2 and other better ones that can be used to encrypt files with similar or better security preferably to that picocrypt app that can't be used.

I hadn't realized that gcc-go wasn't an option for it, you see.

The only one I know that comes close is age, but that one usually uses go.

I think there is a python port tho, but my memory is vague.

No for the moment I don't know about any encrpytion-software in that region. But the python-port was exactly the older version of picocrypt before their migration towards Go.

throgh wrote:

No for the moment I don't know about any encrpytion-software in that region. But the python-port was exactly the older version of picocrypt before their migration towards Go.

Funny thing, I looked up info, apparently libgcrypt can supply such algorithms for gnu privacy guard.

Don't know how to look at full list or update all those versions tho.

Not a big deal, but this being said,  if this was possible and safe, more algorithms like BLAKE and other argon2 derivatives would be available, including curve449.

Not a huge deal, again, but yeah.

But I don't blame you not wanting to mess with anymore go applications, sounds really tricky.

This being said, gkrellm is a good application to add.

The 2.3.10 version builds fine on Hyperbola, the newer ones don't. Just my few cents! smile

Then we have a surprise as gkrellm will be part for Hyperbola 0.4.3 in version 2.3.11. smile

166 (edited by zapper 2023-03-08 06:42:11)

throgh wrote:

Then we have a surprise as gkrellm will be part for Hyperbola 0.4.3 in version 2.3.11. smile

Sounds good!

Btw, didn't know that you guys had gnome-dictionary in the repo, are the other languages of any use? I only see mythes-en.

Reason I wondered is, I wondered if the other language ones are listed in symbols, or how they sound when they are said.

If its the second, that would be massively helpful to have.

big_smile

Final edit btw:

Do you know if you can get anything like this working on Hyperbola?

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ydcv-git

Could use one of these for my writing if possible. big_smile

Thanks for noting: The package gnome-dictionary will be removed as there is no usage for that package. For the mentioned link: We cannot add a wrapper for any kind of service as this as a problematic dependency.

throgh wrote:

Thanks for noting: The package gnome-dictionary will be removed as there is no usage for that package. For the mentioned link: We cannot add a wrapper for any kind of service as this as a problematic dependency.

Hmmm... I hadn't realized that wrapper packages are bad...

I am curious now, what is bad about those?

It is a shame aka... but yeah wondering what specifically is it about?

I assume its bloat at the minimum right?

Using the wording "bloat" is quite often too much. It is a very wide definition with missing focus often. But for gnome-dictionary there was a solution found and this was a fine downgrade of the package itself with some further patching. smile

In general: If someone has interest, we need help to implement runit into our cryptsetup-package. And no, it won't help alone just to use a copied file from elsewhere. To note about runit: Yes, using scripts, but every single one has to be fitting exactly all needed input parameters for deamons and services. So for every package every runit-definition is different.

170 (edited by anthk 2023-03-22 09:24:39)

On dictionaries, there's Wordnet (it depends on TCL/TK for the TK UI) but I saw no proper PKGBUILD.

Adapting this might help:

https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/ … ?h=wordnet

Our main focus for 0.4.3 is not adding so much more packages, but in fact the desktop-experience. So therefore help is appreciated:  https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=804

throgh wrote:

Using the wording "bloat" is quite often too much. It is a very wide definition with missing focus often. But for gnome-dictionary there was a solution found and this was a fine downgrade of the package itself with some further patching. smile

In general: If someone has interest, we need help to implement runit into our cryptsetup-package. And no, it won't help alone just to use a copied file from elsewhere. To note about runit: Yes, using scripts, but every single one has to be fitting exactly all needed input parameters for deamons and services. So for every package every runit-definition is different.

My definition of bloat is more or less, an application that requires some core package that is beyond huge that has massive problems, stability issues or other problems because its developed that way on purpose or the devs don't care.

THAT is what I call BLOAT.

wink

Well, so far correct but nevertheless the definition can also include problems as any kind of project can get to the point where development stucks or people behind have no other possibility as to not care. From outside to look it is always not nice, inside look is a bit different. Therefore I just want to point out that we have to be careful with the wording around. Some applications are small in the outcome but from the codebase very complicated. Others have a simple codebase, but in the outcome being right far big. Others seem to be easy for implementation but carry around a long list of dependencies, even though they seem not having that many in the first place.

The following packages won't be possible now or in the future:

syncthing, as gcc-go is not possible to be used for compilation of this package
android-tools, as parts of Java are definite needed to rebuild all from source

So these are the results of countless tryouts getting the projects running in a way.
Also to remind that we won't add any package for webservices and further web-platforms. A system has to be trusted and trustworthy. Includind any kind of webservice leaves the users out of control, because this software is changing outside the boundaries of the operating-system itself. Hyperbola won't support this now or in the future as this will lead up to malfunctional packages and software.

The following packages are for the moment in the works:

pjsua
lagrange
slim-theme-hyperbola
sylpheed

Our build-server is nevertheless in the works, so you cannot see new packages being active build at the moment. When the build-server is finally ready to go in production this will be changed for sure. To remember the reasoning: We had a hard time as the build-server was only local. The migration towards a VPS was and is therefore a big task with much effort in security and further stability.