Topic: No Ethernet: "Unable to load firmware patch"

The computer no longer detects my Ethernet connection. In dmesg I see that the driver has been loaded

r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.3LK-NAPI loaded

but there are two errors:

Direct firmware load for /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ failed with error -2
unable to load firmware patch /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ (-22)

Also above that:

r8169: can't disable ASPM; OS doesn't have ASPM control

I don't know whether this message is related to the Ethernet connection problem.

The network connection, router, hub, and cord all work with other computers.

Re: No Ethernet: "Unable to load firmware patch"

Mesh Malachi wrote:

The computer no longer detects my Ethernet connection. In dmesg I see that the driver has been loaded

r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.3LK-NAPI loaded

but there are two errors:

Direct firmware load for /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ failed with error -2
unable to load firmware patch /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ (-22)

Also above that:

r8169: can't disable ASPM; OS doesn't have ASPM control

I don't know whether this message is related to the Ethernet connection problem.

The network connection, router, hub, and cord all work with other computers.

Three thoughts come to mind:

broken install
broken component on install
or something has been moved

Btw, it could be something else beyond that, such as a broken ethernet adapter/cable

In any case, a good way to check, is to load the latest Hyperbola.iso and chroot into your install.

Just a heads up if this is your choice, no one can help you without knowing which guide you choose for encryption or if you have a copy of what you did, regarding encryption.

Just a heads up for ya! I hope it works out for you... will be around... sooner or later.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

zapper wrote:

Three thoughts come to mind:

broken install
broken component on install

This is an old installation. The Ethernet worked for years.

Btw, it could be something else beyond that, such as a broken ethernet adapter/cable

True, the cable works with other computers though. And I want to check everything before I give up on the network card.

In any case, a good way to check, is to load the latest Hyperbola.iso and chroot into your install.

I booted a Parabola live cd and dmesg says basically the same thing: Unable to load firmware /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ (-2). So I'm not sure what I would do if I chrooted into the system...

I noticed there is no /lib/firmware directory. Isn't this where the firmware would be? I can create the directory, but how do I find firmware files? Just searching with pacman, I don't see any network adapter firmware.

Just a heads up if this is your choice, no one can help you without knowing which guide you choose for encryption or if you have a copy of what you did, regarding encryption.

I didn't encrypt anything during installation.

You have not mentioned if you have done changes in the latest time: Those would be needed to know. Especially if you have updated the kernel for example. There is a high possibility around that some firmware was removed in another version.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

You have not mentioned if you have done changes in the latest time: Those would be needed to know. Especially if you have updated the kernel for example. There is a high possibility around that some firmware was removed in another version.

I haven't updated the system in a long time. I'm still on the old-stable version.

I have the same version of Hyperbola installed on a second computer that uses the same Ethernet card driver, and I just noticed that the Ethernet works on this 2nd computer even though dmesg shows the same errors about loading firmware. So I guess the firmware isn't the problem.

Okay, thanks for the answer. Have you tried other systems to boot up and use the ethernet connection? It can be also a hardware-problem itself.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!