Topic: music

I have been helping a musician friend to use Ubuntu and Trisquel for most of his personal computing needs since about '11ish, when proprietary software became financially impossible for him and I became at least somewhat aware of how badly musicians are exploited and insulted by crapple and microsh*t. He has very little interest in computing and I have even less interest in buying or selling corporate consumer products that can never take the place of jamming with friends.

Switching him over to Hyperbola from Trisquel would mean less "Read the manual and have fun!" and more "When is a good time for me to come over and fix that for you?" but it may well be mutually advantageous. I believe that the other members of his band assume that he just can't afford proprietary software right now and tease him about  his "weird computer dude" good naturedly.

Are there any likeminded musicians and/or free culture supporters here with enough time and patience to answer our rather basic questions and/or point us in the right direction?

TIA

2 (edited by zapper 2018-04-07 00:24:15)

Re: music

noordinaryspider wrote:

I have been helping a musician friend to use Ubuntu and Trisquel for most of his personal computing needs since about '11ish, when proprietary software became financially impossible for him and I became at least somewhat aware of how badly musicians are exploited and insulted by crapple and microsh*t. He has very little interest in computing and I have even less interest in buying or selling corporate consumer products that can never take the place of jamming with friends.

Switching him over to Hyperbola from Trisquel would mean less "Read the manual and have fun!" and more "When is a good time for me to come over and fix that for you?" but it may well be mutually advantageous. I believe that the other members of his band assume that he just can't afford proprietary software right now and tease him about  his "weird computer dude" good naturedly.

Are there any likeminded musicians and/or free culture supporters here with enough time and patience to answer our rather basic questions and/or point us in the right direction?

TIA

I am hesitant to offer too much advice, but, Hyperbola is somewhat more difficult then trisquel. I would be aware of this just in case it gets a little tricky. Find out what he needs from software if you don't already, if you do and you still think it is a good idea,

then just remember .deb packages don't work on Hyperbola. compiling for source or repo are the options. 

But yeah, if this is all fine, then by all means feel free.

Anyways though, I hope someone will reply further if this is what you want. wink

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

I not music, but, i like edition music on audacity, lame, ffmpeg, Mixxx and more.

They will be welcomed with open arms by the Hyperbola community.

It would be a good idea if the band could create a unique song for each new Distro release (Like a OpenBSD). I'm happy with the idea.

\ 0 /

Thanks, Pekman. Nobody needs a leech and we're really too small to handle but so much tmi drama, but he might genuinely be more comfortable here than he was with the Trisquel and Ubuntu forums.

Zapper and I have a history and he is absolutely correct about it being a big friendship issue and a small technical one. I don't want to doom my musician friend to a lifetime of "calling the computer guy" but on the other hand, I appreciate being handed a twelve string acoustic guitar when I asked him to plug me into "auto-tune" but all I really wanted to do was jam.

I think he mostly uses Audacity and surfs the web, emails his kids, and all the usual stuff people who aren't musicians do with their Windows or Ubuntu boxes but he deserves better and he's a darned good old school guitarist and used to be an even better saxophonist back in the 20th century when owning a saxophone wasn't completely out of the reach of average musicians who support themselves with their day jobs.

The whole band would be better off if we lost the "self-deprecating sense of humour" and gave them the credit for having enough intelligence to learn how to compile from source the same way Zapper never gave up on me when I didn't know why I was having so much trouble installing Hyperbola in the first place.

I wasn't. I just didn't know that command isn't "startx" like it was on Debian, it's "startx /usr/bin/my-WM-or-DE" or even that the executable for xfce4 isn't "xfce4" at all, it's "xfce4-session" and I didn't know how to tell him until I figured it out for myself. I don't want a graphical log in. That wasn't the solution to the actual problem any more than "just tell him you don't have time any more" is to the problem of what to do about my musician friend's computer.

5 (edited by zapper 2018-04-17 02:33:56)

noordinaryspider wrote:

Thanks, Pekman. Nobody needs a leech and we're really too small to handle but so much tmi drama, but he might genuinely be more comfortable here than he was with the Trisquel and Ubuntu forums.

Zapper and I have a history and he is absolutely correct about it being a big friendship issue and a small technical one. I don't want to doom my musician friend to a lifetime of "calling the computer guy" but on the other hand, I appreciate being handed a twelve string acoustic guitar when I asked him to plug me into "auto-tune" but all I really wanted to do was jam.

I think he mostly uses Audacity and surfs the web, emails his kids, and all the usual stuff people who aren't musicians do with their Windows or Ubuntu boxes but he deserves better and he's a darned good old school guitarist and used to be an even better saxophonist back in the 20th century when owning a saxophone wasn't completely out of the reach of average musicians who support themselves with their day jobs.

The whole band would be better off if we lost the "self-deprecating sense of humour" and gave them the credit for having enough intelligence to learn how to compile from source the same way Zapper never gave up on me when I didn't know why I was having so much trouble installing Hyperbola in the first place.

I wasn't. I just didn't know that command isn't "startx" like it was on Debian, it's "startx /usr/bin/my-WM-or-DE" or even that the executable for xfce4 isn't "xfce4" at all, it's "xfce4-session" and I didn't know how to tell him until I figured it out for myself. I don't want a graphical log in. That wasn't the solution to the actual problem any more than "just tell him you don't have time any more" is to the problem of what to do about my musician friend's computer.

I didn't respond to this earlier, but yeah, the idea that money is the only reason people use free software... is well false. 
I think if at some point,  we get a graphical package manager and a graphical install, your friend will have it easier in general.
I mean if you want him to use hyperbola that is. wink

I think he will be fine technically from what I've seen of the stability and even some beloved "oldie moldie goldies" here like Emelfm2, which I thought I was going to have to give up after Trisquel 7's EOL, and even a media player I haven't used since the schism between D* Small Linux and Tinycore in 2007-2008ish.

My honest impression of the install process, now that I know what my problem was, is that it wasn't particularly difficult for an intermediate user  and the documentation was excellent other than possibly mentioning that multilib needs to be enabled in pacman.conf on the 64 bit install. I've literally never succeeded installing a pacman based distro before.

The misunderstanding about the graphical log-in screen is just a cosmic joke to me or perhaps a higher power's sbenevolent sense of humour to others---a reminder not to give up, but to use clear, concrete language to describe a problem when asking for or offering help. It's sometimes harder to do that with people who share the same language and some but not all of the same culture. Most people use graphical log-in screens these days and i didn't think my personal preference was worth mentioning, much less the source of the whole problem.

And yea, I've accidentally offended by "acting like my $20 eBay liquidator laptop is better than their new $2,000,000 iThing" because it is. I wish I had better people skills and could communicate clearly that an offer to help is just that, not some sort of an insult.

noordinaryspider wrote:

I think he will be fine technically from what I've seen of the stability and even some beloved "oldie moldie goldies" here like Emelfm2, which I thought I was going to have to give up after Trisquel 7's EOL, and even a media player I haven't used since the schism between D* Small Linux and Tinycore in 2007-2008ish.

My honest impression of the install process, now that I know what my problem was, is that it wasn't particularly difficult for an intermediate user  and the documentation was excellent other than possibly mentioning that multilib needs to be enabled in pacman.conf on the 64 bit install. I've literally never succeeded installing a pacman based distro before.

The misunderstanding about the graphical log-in screen is just a cosmic joke to me or perhaps a higher power's sbenevolent sense of humour to others---a reminder not to give up, but to use clear, concrete language to describe a problem when asking for or offering help. It's sometimes harder to do that with people who share the same language and some but not all of the same culture. Most people use graphical log-in screens these days and i didn't think my personal preference was worth mentioning, much less the source of the whole problem.

And yea, I've accidentally offended by "acting like my $20 eBay liquidator laptop is better than their new $2,000,000 iThing" because it is. I wish I had better people skills and could communicate clearly that an offer to help is just that, not some sort of an insult.

Truthfully, mainstream products, apple microsoft, google, or there true names, crapple malwaresoft, gaggle, joke intended... hehe...

anyways, those products are full of crap. I have no problem speaking my mind about their crappy security and freedom issues.

Or at least most of the time...  I just really dislike people who say black is white and white is black...

example one, systemd fanboys.

example two, gamers

example three crapple, malwaresoft, gaggle fans...

example four, trump supporters... yes its not software but you know what I mean... heh.

Not in that order either... maybe in the reverse order. xD

Exactly.

I'm not a gamer but I do know enough about gaming culture to spot obvious bullshit, have a great deal of respect for the Minetest developers, and understand that the game grew out of something that was as iconic to the people who grew up with Minecraft and Stampy Longnose as a novel, movie, or television series would have been to a similar aged person growing up in the 20th century.

Money isn't enough motivation to work on crap like mainstream laptops any more; I only trade for music lessons, lol.

noordinaryspider wrote:

Exactly.

I'm not a gamer but I do know enough about gaming culture to spot obvious bullshit, have a great deal of respect for the Minetest developers, and understand that the game grew out of something that was as iconic to the people who grew up with Minecraft and Stampy Longnose as a novel, movie, or television series would have been to a similar aged person growing up in the 20th century.

Money isn't enough motivation to work on crap like mainstream laptops any more; I only trade for music lessons, lol.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Mainstream laptops are crap. 
Sadly not enough people realize that.

Getting back to the subject of music, this is what we're up against:

http://songwritersnotebook.blogspot.de/ … olice.html

and of course music has increasingly become a product instead of a passtime during my own lifetime. I hate to think of the Pete Seeger of our generation flipping burgers to pay for his kid's pampers and enfamil but that's where we're headed as a society.

We can't turn the titanic by showing one old geezer how to use audacity, but the warm welcome certainly gives us the courage to hang on for one more day.

Trisquel 8 with systemd was released this week. I don't intend to run it or sell "customer support" for it. Hopefully my friend will feel comfortable asking questions here if I am unable to help or unavailable.

Neither of us is ready for all the breakage involved in running bleeding edge software and I don't think Parabola is even necessary. We're talking small local band of old farts with day jobs or retirement incomes but I like the idea of a songwriter celebrating each new release too. If this band doesn't run with it who knows....I still have my old college textbooks and my new-to-me twelve string if there's any talent left inside this dusty old brain at all. smile

Would love to jam with any other hyperbolized folksingers and amateur songwriters who are into that sort of thing.