Topic: How generates OpenSSl certificates for LTS encryption ?

Hi everybody . I would appreciate any advice or recommendations.
How can I run these commands if I don't have OpenSSL?

generate-certs() {
  openssl genrsa -out /etc/prosody/certs/"$DOMAIN".key 2048
  openssl req -new -x509 -key /etc/prosody/certs/"$DOMAIN".key -out /etc/prosody/certs/"$DOMAIN".crt -days 3650

Re: How generates OpenSSl certificates for LTS encryption ?

libressl is full compatible, you have even the command available. Alternative when you do not want to host your server directly via VPS with own domain: https://linuxize.com/post/creating-a-se … rtificate/

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Thank you for your answer.

The link you provided states that: you should not use a self-signed certificate on production systems connected to the Internet.

I wanted to buy a VPS for testing, buy a domain name, by the way, can you recommend where is the best place to buy a domain name?

Let's Encrypt provides free TLS certificates. The certbot utility is in the repository, although version 2.1 is the latest version 2.7.4 https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/ … 5bc25143d, but I can build it.

The certbot is also part of Hyperbola: https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/?q=certbot
The self-signed certificate is just for your local network or something you want quick setup for people you clear know. So yes: That warning is clear meant only for a close circle. If you want to host something bigger: Yes, clearly different part.

About a VPS: That depends on your wish where and if to use Hyperbola for that. When doing so you would need some hosting-provider offering own ISO-files to be uploaded.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

5 (edited by jim 2024-01-05 12:54:56)

Hello . This is a good topic for discussion!

It seems to me that you need to think and create a VPS in which there will be images of Hyperbola, HyperbolaBSD and other distros that you decide for yourself, perhaps Devuan, etc.

Since there is trust in you, the user will buy (rent) VPS and thus they can earn money for the project!

An example I found for OpenBSD => https://openbsd.amsterdam/

€35,845 donated to the OpenBSD Foundation !!!

Have to do ! Let's raise money for this!

Possibly useful information for the future  Recommended list of OpenBSD hosting providers  https://github.com/Excision-Mail/Excisi … /issues/19

If we can make our own infrastructure, then the money will go directly to the Hyperbola project !

First to note: Hyperbola is only possible with community-donations and support. So please not forget this also as a base. But there are more points I criticize: Why people think Github is a reliable partner? Yes, as of missing used repositories elsewhere I'm also quoting that. But I want to point out that Github is exactly NOT a reliable source. It is bloated, it is incompatible in its interfaces with lightweight web-implementations. So I find it distracting and partwise bitter curiosity people using that as point to have information saved. Coming to the listing itself: It is full with doubtful and especially not reliable companies. Why should someone support use hosting from companies using even more JavaScript to bother people? And the other side that exactly some people recommending those sites talk about security?

No, I don't mean anyone here but the some people listing there. That's really strange nowadays. So I don't see any point of discussion here for me speaking. Better we work on a stable support for Hyperbola instead having listings that distract.

Maybe even create a VPS that only supports free distros that are listed in the FSF https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html??

LibreVPS

As for Github, I agree with you and I know that it belongs to an evil corporation))

But I believe that as a source of information it can be used, there is a lot of useful information there.

Tell me please, is this not a VPS => https://libreware.info/? I clicked on this logo and see NOT an https connection...

10 (edited by jim 2024-01-06 15:10:36)

Hello Cynicfm

Thank you very much for your answers.

Please tell me where I can download the HyperbolaBSD image? Or do you mean Hyperbola?
I didn't understand.

As for choosing a VPS and not only that, I approach this issue quite demandingly if I see something like this https://libreboot.org/

English | Deutsch | Français | Italiano | Ukrainian |简体中文

Why was Ukrainian chosen and not Hungarian or Spanish or Croatian))

This means that the developer is politicized!

Next, if I see in facebook contacts like https://www.gandi.net or other unethical platforms

I also draw attention to the number of trackers, scripts and cookies . A good example of the lack of all this is => https://guix.gnu.org/

I’m also looking at the possibility of paying for the service with cryptocurrency so that there is such an option.

Ideal if the site works with LibreJS

After this, I already look at the VPS policy you mentioned https://wiki.ircnow.org/index.php?n=Hosting.Providers

etc

jim wrote:

if I see something like this https://libreboot.org/

It has nothing to do with politics, but the fact that  someone who speaks the language created a translation.  They are even asking for people to create translations.  Its not fair to get mad that they don't provide a translation if those who speak the language have made no effort to provide one.

https://libreboot.org/#translations-nee … reboot.org

jim wrote:

(...)

As for choosing a VPS and not only that, I approach this issue quite demandingly if I see something like this https://libreboot.org/

(..)

This means exactly nothing more than there is no person providing a translation. Jim, free and libre software is living from the engagement of people. Not from awaiting someone is solving something exactly the way you, me or anyone else think of. There are two possible ways: Donate time and translate. Or donate money so the project-members can go outside and ask for translations being done in exchange for money. Nothing more and exactly not what you have done and written now as assumption.

And translations being done by automation are in most cases absolute useless or even more out of a problem. Even though: Free, libre software is NOT political neutral or done on any neutral grounds. That is first impossible and second unrealistic. If that would be done, free and libre software would have never come to existance as it includes for sure altruism and many other parts. So I ask you to stop those kind of discussions and also taking your own thread now off-topic.

jim wrote:

As for Github, I agree with you and I know that it belongs to an evil corporation))

But I believe that as a source of information it can be used, there is a lot of useful information there.

Please also recognize: There is no evil corporation. Just ignorance.

I don't agree with you 100%!

Corporations like Faceboot, Google, Amazon cause great damage to user privacy (data leakage) you yourself posted information about Edward Snowden
This is not my opinion but the opinion of professionals! https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/10/31/2 … stleblower

And this is not ignorance, as you wrote, this is deliberate harm to the user! There are already a large number of ships with Faceboot. Founder Richard Stallman spoke about this many times in his interviews.

Regarding my Libreboot example. There was no need to extract a phrase from the text, the meaning was different and those who wanted to understand understood it. Here's another example to help you understand what I'm talking about, this is the Claws-mail projecthttps://www.claws-mail.org/.
I don't think a developer should do this. Air can be breathed by all, good and bad people!

You do not need to agree, Jim. You just need to get a book with notes about history and you can see that a better description, light more but clear, is also keeping catastrophic outcomes away. Ignorance includes also harm, includes also being untrustworthy. "Evil" is one of the highest bad description as people misunderstand this and keep up harassment around based on this, because? Yes, because they mark themself as the "good" and only fight the "evil". That's not how this is working.

And if you want to help Libreboot, please report there and support as everybody could do (your wording). I'm stating the exact same as JWMkit here and you are treating therefore unfair as nobody is speaking all languages perfect. Also: Pleasse stop driving your own thread off-topic. Otherwise I will copy those parts of the discussion out into a new thread and close this newly created. But this makes no context in regards to your original question, jim.

To divide the world into "good" and "evil" is not working that way as there is greyscaling included and it is not always quite that easy to divide and described. So I friendly but strict ask to stop those here. We can talk about many things, also why Meta is ignorant and harmful. But to mark something or somebody as "evil" includes just some different level. Besides that companies really don't care for us debating here nevertheless. This just uses our time, not theirs and also distract our focus, not theirs. So this makes all in all no sense giving them more attention. And while you criticize and demand you should also take into account that there are enough people around seeing this not even as JWMkit or I do: They state "world is not perfect" and keep doing what they, what you would clearly see as "not okay". And then? They use Meta-services, Google and more. Are they also "evil"? Or participating "evil"? As said: Not working besides we have even in spheres of free, libre software enough issues we need to solve. Only because the "world is not perfect" does not mean we cannot try using more utopian perspectives. But discussing those aspects lead to nowhere, as it simulates free, libre software is perfect and complete without issues using exactly non-free services and more. Please look around therefore and analyze again.

I agree with you that we shouldn’t waste time on this and the topic was originally different! If you think that my messages that are not related to the initial topic should be deleted, I don’t mind.

Let's just come back to the original intention. wink

17 (edited by jim 2024-01-07 19:45:54)

I agree, so if I need a self-written certificate for local testing, without the Internet, I would use openssl to create a certificate that is not in the Hyperbola repositories.

Let’s Encrypt is a non-profit organization that supplies free TLS certificates. They also provide the certbot utility to get and manage their certificates

You wrote that certbot is part of Hyperbola: https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/?q=certbot.

Does this mean that certbot/Hyperbola and certbot/Let’s Encrypt are the same thing or not? I tried to create a certificate but got an error..

$  doas certbot certonly  --standalone  --agree-tos  --email  test@mail.com  -d  test.com

or

$ doas certbot certonly  -d test.com

You know that the domain "test.com" needs to exist and be under your control for your settings? You cannot create any certificate right of nothing. Please make sure that you have a domain available, under your control and be able to login via ssh before you create anything else. You can do this also via DynDNS or something else. But using just "test.com" and posting here error-messages won't bring you anything more.

Thanks for the advice, as soon as I change it I’ll write an answer here.

Thread moved: Nothing for "Install/Update".

Ok

Thank you! smile

I would suppose to use Hyperbola to test that.

As I'm not using vmm I can't say. Perhaps you ask the hosting-provider about settings.

Yes, sounds quite better.