Topic: OpenTTD's repository may have non-free data in it.

I'm using Trisquel now, but I also like what Hyperbola is doing, so I may switch to Hyperbola soon.

I see on Trisquel OpenTTD has have a repository, like Minetest has, though this one may also have non-free data in it. I do not know if it has a policy about what is hosted in it's repository or forum.

I see
https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … e_packages
has

"
We do not distribute any further package-manager outside our own as there will be never any kind of control which kind of licensed dependency is loaded and installed. Possible non-free dependencies would be then provided direct on the system.
"

I'm glad Hyperbola has a libre.patch for Minetest, maybe something like that could be used for OpenTTD, if the Hyperbola OpenTTD also has a "Check Online Content" button.

I see that some things in the minetest repository are even missing licenses in downloads.
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?t=30107
It may also include a non-free "nyancat" mod and powerrangers_modpack, though somehow both placed under a free license! Both of these can be downloaded or seen even when blocking non-free, so I'm glad Hyperbola has a libre.patch for Minetest to not use Minetest's "Content Database".

even https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyancat#Lawsuit shows a lawsuit with the nyancat.

A user at minetest.net called rubenwardy may be working on "reviewing packages to make sure they include a license file in the .zip file" now.

https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … ional_data

https://trisquel.info/en/forum/game-dat … ional-data
also has posts about how game data may always be functional data.

https://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php … mp;t=82395

shows non-free licensed music that https://www.contemplator.com/tunebook/readme.htm
shows
"
Copyright Notice

These midi files are not in the public domain! Though the tunes (melody and lyrics) are public domain the arrangements and the midi sequences are not.

One tune in the collection is not in the public domain, Flower of Scotland, written by the late Roy Williamson of The Corries. Through its phenomenal popularity, this tune has been adopted by Scots worldwide as the unofficial national anthem of Scotland.

Without seeking permission you may...

Download and enjoy these midi sequences.
    Distribute the collection zip files via bulletin board systems, FTP sites and shareware libraries... provided that you include a copy of this ReadMe file.
    Use a midi for objectded background music on your personal or commercial web pages, provided that you include a simple acknowledgement, such as "Midi files sequenced by Barry Taylor."
    Use a midi for background music in Outlook Express stationery. In this instance no acknowledgement is necessary. However, you may not link directly to this site in your stationery. The reason for this is that when you put the tunebook url in your e-mail when people open up your mail they access this site (even though they are not aware of it). When there is too much traffic the site slows down and when there are too many people accessing it, people may receive an error message and not be able to access it at all. If you do not have server space or know how to use your space, your only option is to do search for one of the many "unofficial" copies of the tunebook - and ask their policy.
    Offer multiple files for download from your WWW site provided that you include a visible acknowledgement such as "Midi files sequenced by Barry Taylor."

You may not...

Distribute or re-post altered versions of these midi sequences.
    Sell or charge a fee for the use of these midi files.
    Publish these sequences either in electronic (e.g., CD) or hard copy form.
    Transform and repost / redistribute these midi files as karaoke (.kar) files.
    Link directly to any of these midis on this server.

"
The downloaded files also show these non-free license things.

Re: OpenTTD's repository may have non-free data in it.

Thanks for reporting, I will look into this later on today. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

First points: Seems the licenses were more cleared for opensfx and openmsx. So I will take that with and speak with the team. So we can try also remove the repository for OpenTTD and add the most important parts: Music and sounds. Persisting them for 0.4.5 to come and having it full uncoupled from that online-parts elsewhere. Sounds like a plan?

Concluding in:

OpenTTD -> update to 13.4, with disabling the online-repository for downloads
Adding openmsx
Adding opensfx

Making this nice classic a full free and libre experience on Hyperbola also.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

First points: Seems the licenses were more cleared for opensfx and openmsx. So I will take that with and speak with the team. So we can try also remove the repository for OpenTTD and add the most important parts: Music and sounds. Persisting them for 0.4.5 to come and having it full uncoupled from that online-parts elsewhere. Sounds like a plan?

Concluding in:

OpenTTD -> update to 13.4, with disabling the online-repository for downloads
Adding openmsx
Adding opensfx

Making this nice classic a full free and libre experience on Hyperbola also.

The repository also shows

"
AI, music/sounds, game scripts, GSlibrary, hightmap, NewGRF, Scenario
"

though most AI, though not all at this time may be under licensed under some sort of GPL license now, I think.

I do not know how many things have to be added, if any, I just saw the repository may have some non-free things in it.

So "disabling the online-repository for downloads" may help prevent non-free things from being downloaded that may be under a problematic license.

I think most AI in that repository are used for computer controlled "companies" to play against, though these are not needed to play the game.

I did not check any code for these, to see if there are any other problems.

Good new: I was successful in modifying OpenTTD. The game will from 0.4.5 on never again download any data without its user or give its user options to do so. In fact: We will offer all needed to use OpenTTD independent. wink