Topic: Iceweasel-UXP sound on FreeBSD?

What are my options for sound, if i try to build Iceweasel-UXP on FreeBSD?

I know it supports sndio and FreeBSD has sndio, but if i try to do

ac_add_options --enable-sndio

then it says, there is no such option. Is it possible to use Iceweasel-UXP with sndio on FreeBSD?

I know it is possible to run ALSA apps on FreeBSD, but is it possible to compile them too? What are the needed packages? Only "alsa-utils"? Is this an option at all, to use Iceweasel-UXP with ALSA on FreeBSD?

I've looked into the sources, but i've found no traces of OSS. But maybe i just looked in the wrong places. Does Iceweasel-UXP support OSS at all? At least as a fallback option on BSD-s? Can i use Iceweasel-UXP with OSS on FreeBSD?

Or is there any other option? Please do not suggest pulse...

Re: Iceweasel-UXP sound on FreeBSD?

tch wrote:

What are my options for sound, if i try to build Iceweasel-UXP on FreeBSD?

I know it supports sndio and FreeBSD has sndio, but if i try to do

ac_add_options --enable-sndio

then it says, there is no such option. Is it possible to use Iceweasel-UXP with sndio on FreeBSD?

I know it is possible to run ALSA apps on FreeBSD, but is it possible to compile them too? What are the needed packages? Only "alsa-utils"? Is this an option at all, to use Iceweasel-UXP with ALSA on FreeBSD?

I've looked into the sources, but i've found no traces of OSS. But maybe i just looked in the wrong places. Does Iceweasel-UXP support OSS at all? At least as a fallback option on BSD-s? Can i use Iceweasel-UXP with OSS on FreeBSD?

Or is there any other option? Please do not suggest pulse...

It supports alsa for sure, but you may want to know that pulse and oss are being removed.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Removing pulse sounds great, good riddance...but why OSS? What will BSD users do? Only ALSA emulation will work? What about sndio? And i've heard, that Jack is supported, is that true? I can live with any approach, except pulse.

tch wrote:

Removing pulse sounds great, good riddance...but why OSS? What will BSD users do? Only ALSA emulation will work? What about sndio? And i've heard, that Jack is supported, is that true? I can live with any approach, except pulse.

Sndio will be an option probably when 0.4 is stable.  Jack might be an option till then and alsa too.  But yeah...

As it is now, I can only get alsa to work.

OSS has some, let's say... issues.... with licensing.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Okay, then i'll try Jack and ALSA.

You got ALSA to work under FreeBSD? How did you compile the browser? I've ran into a compiling issue (reported in a neighbour topic).

What kind of licensing issues? Is it OSS4 what we are talking about? Or OSS3? AFAIK the latter one is free.

This is a Hyperbola support forum, so as far as I know no one has attempted to compile UXP applications on FreeBSD here.

However, the Hyperbola GNU/Linux distribution is removing OSS and Pulse and migrating to sndio.

You can see our current roadmap here:
https://www.hyperbola.info/todo/oss-removal/
https://www.hyperbola.info/todo/sndio-migration/

As a result, we do have Iceweasel-UXP working with sndio (on GNU/Linux), courtesy Emulatorman.
https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/packag … 5d8d34103d
As you can see there, a patch is needed which will likely make it upstream once we've confirmed it is working well.

Okay, got it, sndio will do it. Now i only have to find a solution to bypass the error mentioned in the other topic.

Off: why does this terrible "anti-spam" question needed before any posting? Would not it be enough if the portal asks it at registration? Also, what if i try to post from under an OS which does not have a POSIX terminal?