Topic: openRC services question

Hey smile

I have a question... I have downloaded few packages like acpi_call for example, at the end of installation it tells me to update rc-service thingy....
So do i need to write a command in terminal like rc-updateadd service acpi_call default???
If i am not going to perform this action, acpi_call won't run on my laptop???

Another thing is i have got T500 thinkpad with libreboot... I have downloaded about 10 packages related to power saving and energy consumption, like acpi_call x86_intel thing etc... Do i need to update services of each of them seperately???

If i download some package that requires rc_update addservice how do i know which installed packages aren't in rc-status -s and also most of them are stopped not started...

Also if you got any tips related to lower power consumption etc. on thinkpad laptops, it would be much appreciated smile

btw. amazing distro!! I am new and beginner but i love the fact hyperbola tells me that some stuff i have previously used like mozilla firefox are non-free so i can't download it from repositiories ;P. Java has security issues?? wow i didnt know!!
stuff like unrar or unace are non-free??? NIce!!! haha ;P
Thanks for converting me into libre software user... It's really good... wink

2 (edited by zapper 2019-12-05 17:59:05)

Re: openRC services question

cynicfm wrote:

Hey smile

I have a question... I have downloaded few packages like acpi_call for example, at the end of installation it tells me to update rc-service thingy....
So do i need to write a command in terminal like rc-updateadd service acpi_call default???
If i am not going to perform this action, acpi_call won't run on my laptop???

Another thing is i have got T500 thinkpad with libreboot... I have downloaded about 10 packages related to power saving and energy consumption, like acpi_call x86_intel thing etc... Do i need to update services of each of them seperately???

If i download some package that requires rc_update addservice how do i know which installed packages aren't in rc-status -s and also most of them are stopped not started...

Also if you got any tips related to lower power consumption etc. on thinkpad laptops, it would be much appreciated smile

btw. amazing distro!! I am new and beginner but i love the fact hyperbola tells me that some stuff i have previously used like mozilla firefox are non-free so i can't download it from repositiories ;P. Java has security issues?? wow i didnt know!!
stuff like unrar or unace are non-free??? NIce!!! haha ;P
Thanks for converting me into libre software user... It's really good... wink

Try downloading laptop-mode-tools and using that for power management.  It works out of the box as far as I can remember. smile

As for everything else you asked, rc-update add service default is usually how its done. 

acpi can be added this way too btw.

PS, nice to have a new member, just don't try to use full disk encryption on your laptop till you know what you are doing. wink

Libreboot or otherwise.

I personally have done this with libreboot and it works fine, but I am what you call an advanced user. The developers are more like at expert or higher level of skill. smile

one last thing, if you want to have less battery life used, use mate or better yet xfce or even lxde. unless you dont need a desktop environment and then in that case use something even lighter. like a window manager. Though I think they are a bit dull myself...

Hyperbola:

The Stable Secure Libre Arch!

You could also use even smaller desktop-environments like icewm, fluxbox, dwm or others - looking out at zapper with a thankful smile for the tipp with draco. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

You could also use even smaller desktop-environments like icewm, fluxbox, dwm or others - looking out at zapper with a thankful smile for the tipp with draco. smile

Indeed, draco desktop is the best I know of.   just follow the instructions for installing on slackware. as odd as it sounds thats how you can install draco desktop on your hyperbola laptop. wink

https://github.com/rodlie/draco

A warning though must be given though, for anyone not on stable. If you are using stable disregard this warning:,

don't yet bother with draco desktop even with the no-dbus option. Shutdown, suspend, restart and hibernate will not work yet. The author is still working the kinks out of the powerkit application so that you can do those things with, or without dbus.
Unless your okay with that of course. wink But yeah, it works excellent for the current stable version. smile

Hyperbola:

The Stable Secure Libre Arch!

5 (edited by cynicfm 2019-12-08 22:21:21)

Hey, thanks for help smile

Well, i have no idea what services are but i am slowly getting there wink. I have currently downloaded wicd net manager i typed rc-update add wicd default everything seems to be ok.
I have bought this Libreboot T500 with Hyperbola in mind smile. So now instead of dual booting like i have done on my old i5 bios laptop, i only have Hyperbola installed.

Thank you for freedom :-).

edit: oh and i am using LXDE now, it seems to be pretty good wink.

If you want compositing being active - some eye-candy like shadows and transparency for example - you can use compton or xcompmgr, both within the repositories.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

7 (edited by cynicfm 2019-12-09 20:28:48)

throgh wrote:

If you want compositing being active - some eye-candy like shadows and transparency for example - you can use compton or xcompmgr, both within the repositories.

I know compton thanks smile

Well a bit of offtopic but i have been given new android smartphone that is Redmi Note 7 by Xiaomi and i tried to fastboot it or something, flash it to delete android and install new rom, but there is certain software needed that requiries java.... jdk8 or jdk7 seems like it's not ok ;P.
Is it possible you could say something more about java being non-free and not being in repositories???
I know that Oracle java probably has something that is not alright.... Although i wonder why i need java software to unlock android device....

edit: oki, i found this: https://www.hyperbola.info/todo/java-removal/
smile

The major problem is about Android in short: It is something Java in combination with a Linux-kernel. And as most devices just need proprietary firmware-blobs to be fully functional: It'll stay a mess, also in the future as hardware and software won't get really free and libre. There is some kind of hope for upcoming devices like the Pinephone, but as even said those devices are not ready yet for full usage in production.

You can try to build the needed toolsets as so-called portable versions, including the needed version of the JRE being executed within a your home-folder. But even though: Java is proprietary and the OpenJDK is also for its usage in combination with the name

Well, i only need android smartphone to connect to internet on my laptop via hotspot or tethering wink.

It's a shame proprietary software is needed to root the device though... ;P.

Thanks for your guidance wink.