51 (edited by throgh 2019-12-28 07:35:13)

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

And another failure from the FSF making clear points of reasoning for free software and furthermore free culture, followed up here. The problem is again the shortening of information and the pictures itself: Computers are showed as some kind of risk, a danger. But those risks about missing freedom, security and privacy is showed coming just externally. Missing the point, FSF: Where is the responsibility of the people getting emancipated from dependencies? And why do you use such cheap and smear drawings? The black and monstrous like silhouette of a person, which waves and afterwards opens a door to the "computer"?

You can't be serious about this and declaring that as kind of information is a real bad joke. Missing completely the point: There is no need of creating and offering those pictures. You want more description? Another example shows up iconographic pictures of children with their heads being replaced through computer-monitors. Just showing the dangers being drawn and done externally is totally wrong and missing the point. Instead this also helps getting bogeyman images within the heads of people, while we should talk about reasonable responsibility instead shortened information and some kind of facts or better what should be facts coming up from an organization like you, dear FSF. Ah, did I mention the war-imagery for illustration of the phrasing Fight the digital fiefdom, support the FSF? Well, if this is the major point being we'll be better without you, FSF. Having clear principles like the FIVE freedoms, while you are even missed out clear failures in the near past and just keep talking about distributions removing some firmware-blobs. Where is your cryout about the information the developers from Hyperbola have given while asking about flaws and failures to be removed? The "little" details, yes I know: But that's the point, dear FSF. You play the wrong, bad game and even use some really false phrasing and wording instead showing clear principles about own responsibility. The flaws of some free, libre projects don't mind you? But I think I've got it: Better for having "others being responsible", crying out loud some kind of "war" and behind everything gets down even more faster than we can imagine because of accommodativeness. Do you recognize what some projects like Gnome or systemd are doing these days? Or is this just correct binding centralized services as single point of failure and risk for freedom, privacy and security itself? And copying instead of creating is the point being for free, libre decentralized alternatives? Ah, yes: Sharing those pictures and mentioned "war-mongering" imagery, exactly that is the problem: Shortened (and in this case: WRONG) information!

Well, I'm glad not using further stickers or so-called badges like these here. This phrasing and wording is dangerous at all, as it calls out the complete wrong side and externalize responsibility for hard- and software. Better being without the FSF and the FSFE, as I can and like to think of myself. You've failed clearly and there is much to repair regarding freedom, privacy and security, dear FSF! Nothing learned from history, neither in general nor specific of the last ten years on-going. But another good and fitting demonstration of the easy-going picture and imagery we human beings always use: OTHERS are responsible! And "we" fight the "good fight". Well? Surprise: That's NOT information, that's propaganda. While I have no problem being in some kind of "Don Quixote"-position - some windmills stop moving over time - I don't see any further point being in mobilization for such a flaw and propaganda: Neutral but fitting information, positive examples and many others are reasonable and help even being wthin such a story I've mentioned with the comparison to "Don Quixote". This is the contrary and makes me thinking about being better the FSF to disappear, instead creating something more individual at all and showing the concrete problems with clear principles. You can do better, we can do also for the upcoming new year 2020.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

52 (edited by throgh 2019-12-28 10:24:02)

Oh okay: Just in case keep ignoring that Debian has a proposal for going on with systemd, to be found here. A democratic choice is one good thing in general, but keep on to choose not to have any further choice as it is within systemd stays the same nonsense and resulting within irreversible damage for GNU/Linux in a whole. But what I'm talking about? Linux itself seems to be no longer about choice. And with the upcoming conflict for the sovereignty of interpretation what "freedom" is really about - remember that "open-source" has also major problems with social and ethic concepts of "free, libre software" - there is more: Upcoming hatred and meritocracy, prejudices and pigeonhole thinking are with this. From time to time it is really hard to think even in some ways positive for us humans as "we" seem not being able to live in peace together and some of us are just searching for "power and greed" instead asking questions and being in reflection throughout discussions. But hey, nationalism and identity on a social level, standardization and buzzwords on a technical level seem just more important than a future in peace, freedom, dignity and a colourful world for all beings included on all levels. You want to stop? Stop for yourself first in search for this and keep on with freedom of choice. roll

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

53 (edited by throgh 2019-12-29 00:55:13)

Gentoo is heading slowly but steady towards systemd and enough problematic applications are available throughout the distribution and the portages - naming for example Steam. I will never understand why this proprietary DRM-platform is getting that much of attention within the Linux-community as even some self-called "Advocates" use it and call it freedom of choice.

Not meant as any kind of criticism as everbody is free for choosing the fitting base as operating-system. On the one side people talk about protection of freedom, privacy and security, on the other side they invite the problems through usage of proprietary applications or projects not even near being trustworthy enough. Having for example Spotify within the repositories is not really the point of "freedom". Yes, it is about choices and I'm not forced to install any package with problems. But where is the guarantee that they won't come up with some other dependency one day? Speaking just for myself: I'd like to stay away from distributions being not clear about freedom, privacy and security. While it is nice I could build an own system with optimizations using Gentoo, I have problems with having proprietary dependencies with the repositories itself. wink

And the point of having a secure system is the protection for yourself: Your data is yours alone and nobody else should have access besides being granted exclusively from you. But you are not forced to have encryption for example. Even just using a blobless setup is just a clear message out in a world having no further thoughts for this! The desaster is coming afterwards when UEFI, false "so-called" standards, enforced vendor lock-in and the lost of real freedom of choice take their price. And this will end up very bad for all of us because at one point no further turnback is possible! Better staying out of it and this is possible especially with free, libre hardware.

54 (edited by throgh 2019-12-29 11:36:03)

Interesting question about QubesOS and I'm also in search for more regarding Kali Linux. The major problem with systemd is the complete restructuring of POSIX-standards and they driven far away until now, including even more components. As I've said earlier here in the thread: No further problem with the idea having more possibilities built into the INIT and service-management, but having ALL built just one big component is a growing problem. systemd is just no longer about INIT and as getting even larger the vision gets even more far away: Why do I need for example homed? I've tried to imagine scenarios where I could need such things and I've failed with doing this as every computer-system I've installed until today is unique and talking about server-systems I don't need to exchange HOME-directories instead just copy configurations premade some time ago by myself - same with desktop-systems and clients.

The idea of systemd seems to be more about trying to copy known paradigms from others (Microsoft especially): You have therefore one process to "rule them all" (sorry, Mr. Tolkien: I've grabbed this for now and yes, I dare doing this again). Nice try, bad try at all: Single point of failure incoming first and afterwards enough more as you have furthermore no logfiles in readable format, instead just binary crap. It stays the enforced "standardization" as enough podcasts even noted. But what mocks me up most: Why do the people don't start with alternatives like here? There are enough examples and systemd is just the biggest one. Followed up: PulseAudio, Network-Manager and D-Bus as definition of bloatware, full with dependencies making the system itself not really better - yes, I wait until today for someone explaining me why I should jump up for having my soundserver being connected from remote (some sarcasm sideways as I had enough discussions about that in the past).

Regarding QubesOS: From what I've read so far the distribution is using some special container-concept for applications. When having systemd reduced so far for being service-manager and INIT, it could work, but I have not tried that myself as there are also requirements for the hardware. But after all: I'm not that kind of sure as QubesOS is claiming to trust therefore Fedora, not for all but enough having the name of this distribution into this as I have no further trust into Red Hat as I call them responsible for some of the bloatware applications and frameworks I've named earlier in this posting. And we have to face the realitiy as the pragmatism is wide more relevant as real freedom. Linus Torvalds himself with the Linux-Foundation is responsible for the major buyout for having no further problems with companies being part of "freedom". For now "Linux" is a trademark (bad joke, isn't it?) from Linus Torvalds, just in case to "protect" Linux. What will happen if this trademark is sold? And what next? I think some participants within the global community and especially the FSF doesn't think further: Another fast happened and created hard fork? What about people have their problems with Linux-libre for example? And removing firmware-blobs is one thing, but another developing new features and bugfixing. The FSF is just doing some propaganda-imagery for now, stating they help the community. No, they don't help: They just shortening information and facts, which is dangerous. And when problems occur we'll hear nothing further as the GNU-projects are respsonsible? Yeah, FSF and FSFE: You both failed and fail further. Support Hurd and support projects like Hyperbola, if you really want free, libre software. Speak about that and not about this pragmatism, some forking for Android declaring the freedom for mobile devices, which cannot be freed. Yes, some information are not good for getting "bigger" but this is healthier instead having this false imagery for now as "we" could have an ecosystem consisting of really free hard- and software This is a social, ethical, political and technical movement: Respecting each component instead having "some" solution. Gnome is one evidence this will fail otherwise, there are much more.

55 (edited by throgh 2019-12-30 13:07:00)

Being clear in principles also means: Being clear in the political way, for human rights and diversity including equal rights. And free software was always about politicial positions. But they were clear. Now with the on-going failure of many institutions including people and names there are demagogues coming up. I don't like it, but to mention that: You know about the political third position? The one telling being some kind of apolitical? Okay, with this mindset everything is possible and while being for "freedom" now this can be changed furthermore in the future as mind- and ruleset are "fluid". The demand for having FSF and GPL failing is coming up from the same people. The point being? Look into history: For every fast opened revolution there were participants searching for just one thing named "power". Should I demonstrate it?

Starting with: Just a little bit of "power", for some small amount of time when everything is "fluid" and after that this all will be clear.
And after that "amount of time": Oh okay, not cleared up? Let's take another period. But after that it will be ready. We / I just need MORE power and influence.

Guess what: The sentence is going to repeat for long, either being replaced by any other escalation or  nothing further. Perhaps I'm drawn into a just darker picture? Well, could be. But phrases like "Revolutions tend to eat their children!" don't come up from nowhere. To be clear enough: I don't think with this mindset anything can be created and instead this is just one further nail into the coffin. Let go FSF and four freedoms? And then what? Creating political power? Wow, and some jump directly on this train: Power won't end up good cause nobody should have it and instead it should be shared. If this is the future of "free, libre software" and "free culture": Please don't count on me. No power for anybody as I thought this should be instead the major issue we have to overcome and being clear onto principles like having freedom of choice, not becoming "social influencer" in some way. Teaching people to think on their own, fight for others and to show solidarity under different circumstances. That's the opposite of bearing and creating "power" and "influence". Instead getting away from this failed imagery, this nice hearing but bad clearing fairy-tale with "good ending" for most of history shows up the contrary. People died in fighting for equal rights for beings on earth, we are at a point we have to be clear about that. Or is this information overflow of the global network too much? You can search everytime for the consequences. Perhaps under just a complete other system with other rules this could work. But global politics are just dirty these days and making compromises end up also nowhere, just more of the same: systemd is not that kind of bad ... one sentence, and another following the one before because companies pretending being for "freedom" and the founded political movement is going to do what? Well, more of the same. Ending with (free) citation of Snake Plissken: The more things change, the more everything stays the same!

How fatal could it be? Very! With this concurrent situation of policy this is going to fail and why thinking to repeat what others took over the edge and into the ground of failure? The misbelief of "doing it better"? For the greater good? Oh, things with human rights work "so good" these days - no, even not near the actual situation. That's a daily fight and on every good news another bunch of bad is following. So there is much work to do and some of "us" are thinking about being a political movement? Good thought, later on, very much later on. Perhaps if "we" can make it in the next fifty years or better a hundred years without destroying everything or creating more suffering? Fight for equality today to fight for freedom, security and privacy in the future. Not with false, shortened claims today AND in the future more lies! Because what about projects like Hurd? Being honest: The microkernel is one good idea, but where is it now? And why is there no further statement from the FSF or the GNU-project itself while the "Linux-kernel" is in some way always claimed as "alternative"? That's good joke, isn't it? Projects like Hyperbola have problems with interest and donations, but hey let's build a political movement on something sounds like "freedom" - for now. I don't get that: And what about trademarks? The situation with licenses? The foundations behind many projects - Mozilla, Linux and many more? In some ways for "freedom", but with capitalistic approach. But the demagogues are in telling us more about it: Full political movement is a new buzzword, let go the old ones ... just another. I've said something similar but with a complete other mindset getting people completely independent in their rights for information and software. Not building another failed concept and I can't believe it having those readings again on some websites about "free, libre software". Clear up the projects and make the real freedom for a choice reality. After that you are more believable! A real compromise respecting all sides within is helpful and I don't want to destroy but question those shortening phrases and wordings as they do nothing helpful instead spreading more really bad consequences and regarding that making compromise just out of accommodativeness or some sort of operator convenience stays a problem, undermining basic principles.

In an utopian view we get it to overcome capitalism. Won't happen now and doubtful if humans can let go of greed and power. But better with all in instead! wink

56 (edited by throgh 2019-12-30 16:06:19)

Anti-social networks are most the same: Reducing the spectrum of information to some closed filter- and information-bubble. This is a reasonable danger for engagement regarding democracy in general and in special also for taking more influence on people, directing them into directions. This was understood by the so-called "social influencer"-fraction and is used in so many areas. Instead everything is reduced: So I could ask ... is systemd itself a danger? The answer would be from me: No, but the mass concentrating only on this could be a risk for vendor lock-in.

That's one topic out of the postings here in the thread. Another one is the double-standard our modern societies seem to follow: On the one side we want more freedom, on the other side, we are not willing for a change and just reduce everything on a scale of black and white. Is it really radicale having clear principles against capitalism as this system given proof of being against everything except "progress" and "growth"? And no: There is no elite, no further dark plan. This misbelief just keep demagogues running all the time, feeding them with such kind of smear arguments is not really helpful and is ruining the colourful world being possible. Companies run for their own interests, that's all the magic behind. Making "our" own thing besides that would be a good answer instead an adoption of offered projects like Mono: The question here is ... what's the price for taking? Same with Java and also Rust. Yes, this make distributions like Hyperbola to some kind of "outsider" but better to be that instead running with a false dream, staying only that. There are so many good thoughts and it running them all onto the next wall is very bad. But this is an individual decision, not done from some dark, sinister plan or something else. And the FSF has also enough decisions to take: Just do it, stop taking donations from doubtful sources for example. Make more out of Hurd. Yes, not to get into the decisions of the projects itself is a good thing. But is it really good to wait? For what? Vanishing bloatware? Won't happen. Solution for Hurd on their own ways? Well, the same as before: Won't happen without support. And what about criticism towards missing diversity within the software-landscape itself? Ignoring this won't help running for freedom. Besides that we are running out of freedom just while I'm writing these lines. You can use systemd, but keep on with all the others: s6, shepherd, runit, openrc and many more.

My freedom is not more valuable, but don't get stuck into a rabbit-hole some algorithms guide you in. That's one of the real problems as you won't get out of it and step more further into those misbeliefs, into being manipulated and even the developers of those algorithms have not evil masterplan behind. All with good intentions first and we have time to get out of it, but time is not endless and companies don't understand values like ethics or moral. Reducing freedoms of others by upscaling your own? That's one major point. Is it about more a feeling or about facts? This is upon you reading this here as it is mine to question and to be questioned. Please stay critical, dear reader - everytime. smile

57 (edited by throgh 2019-12-30 18:33:08)

The thing about facts is their approval and criticism onto capitalism is just open for everyone to explore. Staying critical about it is absolutely needed, but why exactly is it common sense to defend even companies like Microsoft or Apple within the spheres of "Open-Source" and also trying to bring up smear wordings and naming for "free software and culture" as being treated like some kind of religion? Do you recognize that people wait for some "Apple Stores" for days just to get their newest tecnology play? Do you recognize the major issue about trademarks, patents and licenses called as Copyright? Afterwards you call people being "religious" about technology just they don't want to treated as some kind of "products" and their data being searched, included and saved somewhere as they just use Software as a Service?

Well and the Linux Foundation tries again to jump onto that train: Come on, be some kind of pramgatic and you won't miss fun in the future. You can have everything as you want. Aha, sounds nice but is in fact another neoliberal lie instead a fact - not speaking here about the pricing for this "everything, everywhere and everytime". And it can be approved when companies proclaim turning human beings to brand ambassadors - just one search about that phrase and you'll get more information as I don't link onto such material here. Last but not least: People being onto "free, libre software and culture" are just excluded again with harsh names and false accusations, just not to be more into the argumentation. Thanks for all the fish? tongue

58 (edited by throgh 2019-12-31 09:58:41)

The next point is about climate and global warming. I hear the upcoming questions: What does this have to do with "free, libre software and culture"? And what with "software" in general? Got you: Question yourself.

Why do you change your concurrent hardware?
Because of the software no longer supporting the platform or being to slow in the performance.

And we have to change this. This is not an  optional point, this is a must. And is it that much of a loss not watching Netflix all-time, searching for local possibilities, offline? Is it a loss to keep your hardware for longer time, perhaps even more than ten years? And "progress" is nice, but what is the price of this? Mining bitcoins with high energy consumption? Big graphics can be scaled down with not a big loss of the quality, there were formats created back in the early days of the global network, you know them? Support longer hardware-platforms instead searching for the next big hit: Wreck 32bit for what reasoning? Because you can do more with 64bit? Yeah, of course but is this a reasoning to be excessively in the use of hardware-resources? Let's take some example from the so-called "modern" internet: 3D-realtime animations, CSS-tricks with transparency and pictures at any cost and more. Some websites and so-called web-appliances doesn't even run on older browsers because just of those things: Lack of support for JavaScript and CSS. And the system is thrown away because websites run slowly - not a reasoning from me as I've heard it already from others. Hardware is thrown away because websites run not as fast as possible, mobile devices included.

And that is not acceptable. That's also a reasoning why "free markets" for example won't help here and "freedom" has also reasonable borders. But it is on all of us speaking about those borders. Remember? My freedom is not more valuable than yours and yours is the same in relation to others. There was once a time the wording green IT was used. Well? Where is it when graphicscards need their own power supply because their energy consumption grown that high? But okay: Do I understand that some want graphics more real than reality itself in their games preferred? No, I don't understand that and seeing the dilemma could be a first base for further discussions and being believable also as "free, libre software" has a better chance for insights and changes. See KDE 3 got a fork with the Trinity Desktop, there are desktop-environments with hight modification possibilities like IceWM or i3 for example (the complete listing is far more bigger). But there are also points to be solved: Why just be into centralized systems like Github? Does such a big node help really? Better concentrate on decentralized systems, running libre ones perhaps? And what about centralization itself and its energy consumption? And what about desktop-environments like Gnome 3 or KDE Plasma? Eye-candy perhaps. Also more in regards to the points I've scribbled here. And being clear: These are just scribbles for now! But I see no further point why modern computing have to be that much demanding in regards to resources. Ah, and it is not helpful asking on centralized or decentralized anti-social networks what to watch next in your online-media-library while being engaged for climate! Seems to be complicated as people think their "toys" go away when this is questioned. Don't you get it? You only rent those services, no difference between Steam, Netflix or Spotify here. The same as you have only some rights, the rest is "reserved" and not under your control. wink

59 (edited by throgh 2019-12-31 11:22:50)

Being decentralized does not make you or your data secure. And there is no anti-social network, no appliance protecting you if you send your data, right away and meaning therefore everything, from early insights at morning, your workday, your hobbies, your interests and last but not least going to bed, in repeat for the whole process. What do I mean with this? Content and facts can be reduced and with corporate nodes beng established your data is not secure at all. That's an illusion and real false information!

Taking right away an example: Diaspora based on decentralization and content is shared throughout all nodes being part of the network if you send it public. And most people doing this as it is about also being heard and seen, feeling more included. So what will happen if corporations and companies create their own node, a so-called pod? I described that back in the days I was active at Diaspora: Guess what? Much laughing. But data can and will be collected on those nodes, if they are established. Same with all the others: Mastodon, Friendica, Hubzilla, Pleroma etc.

That's part of the design: Otherwise why should use decentralized when nothing is shared throughout the network itself? Exactly here is the point and nodes using this shortened claims are using false security, a misbelief, nothing more. And for example Mastodon got the sizing now and there are companies attending, creating their own like Purism. They even have their own fork of Mastodon (found here). So where is the reasoning companies and corporations could not do their own fork, implementing also datagrabbing? Ok, they have to share it. And then what? Excluding nodes and more adminstration? One point is what you really want and need to share, think before doing it. Another one is to question if this is even needed in a whole as we could get news and information also on other ways, same with personal insights. But it is just more of the same old story full with double-standards, isn't it? And of course: Trust your local administrator, but what happens when the person has own interests to capitalize the data one day (there we are again with capitalism as failed model and system)?

60 (edited by throgh 2020-01-03 00:42:11)

About code of conduct: You think those are not helping and it is needed to speak out some truth? Okay, got the challenge. How about trying to discuss about different viewpoints instead doing harassment again some projects got in the past? Especially the kernel-development of Linux got a long list of harsh and insulting language, toxic to the roots itself. Ah, you think this is about YOUR freedom of speech? Okay, and what about the freedom of speech of the person you had insulted? How about the rights and dignity? Why not exactly trying to speak up?

You think a code of conduct is censorship? Think again: This situation resulted within the fact that there was exactly mobbing, sexism, racism and more. There you have one special point mentioned here as politics. Free, libre soft- and hardware should be about inclusion, not exclusion. So while you speak about this you should also respect this integral component at all. And what about meritocracy enough projects had or even have while I'm writing these lines here? Just because somebody seems to be absolute needed for one project or the core components does not make the person absolutely untouchable. Even more the phrase who is doing is always right couldn't be more showing an ugly face of major problems being unsolved until today within the global community of free software and culture. There are many options: Stop talking about "freedom of speech" while marginalizing people suffering even under harassment of society and being excluded from the majority or being literally hunted by hating persons / groups. You want freedom respected? Don't get it wrong as hatred is not a concrete point of view and prejudices cannot help to build further on top of this as the resulting "community" is just more of the known harassment. You think again code of conduct is the wrong way? Okay, give it a proof and stand by the side of marginalized beings, give them support. You don't want to do that? Okay, exactly then you give approval about your point being is not really based on real facts and instead about your own sightings and emotions as you had not to suffer under marginalization (good for you), but you want therefore others to stay into drawers they were put into before by society, just to be some kind of silent and endure more harassment? Democracy is just not a cheap phrase but more a high valuable right, which we have to defend every day again and that is done throughout reflections not just some articles or shoutings, not throughout insults or harsh wordings. This is done by using rational arguments and trying to understand the suffering, being empathic.

And exactly than there is no further need for such a ruleset as a meritocracy is just built on top of prejudices and authoritarian perspective. Everything else is just more of lip services. And I hope nobody has to suffer under the same harassment people had before and because of this different possible versions of a code of conduct were created. I hope also those are just needed for a short amount of time. In my idealistic view this could be some solution, but I'm also aware about the harsh reality where one hatred is just replaced by another one. But you cannot defend fire with fire here as giving people exactly their chance getting out of those drawers some majority and prejudices had put them into before.

61 (edited by throgh 2020-01-03 17:15:18)

Of course: As systemd was never about freedom of choice - absolutely clear when looking onto the included services and the whole direction this project is heading onto - any integration results within a further reduction onto others, meaning there other INIT- and service-frameworks. The sentence I have written is a direct reaction and subject of interpretation from the known coming up and until now integrated features into systemd. And let's be honest: There is no time to cheer up for Debian after their so-called resolution. Nothing has been reached and the team around the project systemd is running forward but without looking after other projects like OpenRC, runit, s6 or shepherd. They just ignore most criticism being in their point of view ideological. Just a quick view onto the wiki-entry for systemd from Gentoo shows how deep you have to modify the system in regards for using this so-called management-framework or better to be called bloatware. We are not talking about a bunch of configuration-files back then and the course is set: Using systemd means reducing the freedom of choice afterwards as you have also to do much work getting away from this.

62 (edited by throgh 2020-01-03 17:42:38)

Well, another problem is trying to reach a real inclusive community. What do you do with harassment? Either you accept participants within a community, who have done and will do again hassments against others leading to marginalized people being even more out of safe spaces and put into drawers, or you talk to each other and search for a solution. Yes, this solution can also end with an exclusion of people, who don't want to accept inclusion and respect for each other. Remembering therefore to the social contract:

All of Hyperbola community are to respect the ethics of freedom and free software and are demanded to show the deepest respect among themselves. Under no circumstances discriminate against people based on age, gender, sex, sexual orientation, disability, religion, ideology, ideas, social class, nationality, race, intelligence, or any analogous grounds. Hyperbola encourages freedom of speech. However, do not curse or use offensive language while debating within the Hyperbola community. Do not under any circumstances attack, bully, stalk, or harass any individual (the personal turn) or a certain group.

And trying to defame others following clear principles is also one major problem these days because some just see their own freedom and not respect the one of others, as there is no further difference. False comparisons are more of the same smear wording we had in the past: People naming problems within projects and "free culture" generally are just handled like a bird fouling its own nest. That's disgusting and more about the all known paradigm using politics for the very own part named ignorance and arrogance! And yes: I have a concrete example from different websites again but I won't share it as this thread is not about sharing exclusive links, more about a discussion of perspectives and perhaps also a collection of possible tipps getting towards a real community caring about each other. wink Just the notes: Reading about comparisons to doctors don't swearing the "Hippocratic Oath" is very much about smear wordings. Where is the harm if you exclude oppressing and abusive behaviour? Exactly that: You make a point when positioning against it. And facing the fact that be excellent to each other does not help in those situations.

Believe me or not: I had it in the past also. Being attacked, excluded and insulted because of my sugar disease. That's is the pure definition of toxic, oppressive behaviour. And you won't solve anything by ignoring it, again and again!
Free software and free culture is about beings, so we have to deal with different perspectives and talk about them. But we should also draw a line about what is acceptable and what is not. Racism, sexism, ableism and many more for example are nothing more than systematic oppression and pure hatred! Being believable is including the position against systematic oppression also while we are talking about freedom of speech does not include being free of criticism and trying to marginalize the marginalized beings is even more of the same old, but really tragic story our history is full with. Help others to get out of drawers the majority had put them into, getting also more people to understand not to repeat such a behaviour. This won't solve everything but it is another step forward towards freedom and emancipation of everyone.

63 (edited by throgh 2020-01-04 13:45:34)

Well, thanks for the feedback but I think otherwise about. As written most within the postings: It is my personal conclusion and I have not the ultimate ratio or better answer. Would be not interesting otherwise! wink And of couse: Better getting the proof of being "wrong" with the personal conclusions. But my experience told me otherwise around. Yes, people on the IRC tell you many things but even though the possibility of systemd integrated within the portages has some conclusions into otherwise they could have also started to be into INIT-freedom instead, so the question is just answered for this moment and that has nothing to say about the future from my point of view. While I dont know if the plans of Hyperbola getting more concrete regarding s6 and shepherd for example, better to have clear principles. OpenRC is coming up from the developers of Gentoo and that's good though. But the point is: How long until there is no further interest on OpenRC because it is too much time investing for further development and upholding more about systemd? Remember: This service-framework got a big sponsor behind and therefore big interests. Or has anyone seen the team behind systemd asking for support and donations? I didn't but instead there is seen this: Take it, it is free! Such a big monolithic bloatware systemd has become and it won't stop. wink Gentoo has therefore also enough proprietary portages for a possible installation and for being not believable to "defend" and stand either for freedom or especially free culture, speaking from my point of view.

EDIT: Regarding Slackware you could have a look here!

64 (edited by throgh 2020-01-08 10:19:34)

Let's talk about streaming and first things first: Being honest? I don't use any service at all for streaming movies or series. Why don't using them? Because they are nothing more than purest definition of DRM. Do you get the content outside to view it whenever or whereever you want? And there are even now productions being no longer available outside those services. It is the same way as some entertainment-software got far enough being only distributed digital on one single proprietary platform. Yes, perhaps they can get be free at all but this will be another way declared as illegal in many countries. Do you care about freedom, privacy and security? Think twice about using those services, whatever you call them: Netflix, Disney+ or anything else. What about the energy invested to stream those contents back to your device? And again: Being believable, people should also talk about "Green IT" and finding other ways. And think about preservation of those productions as most thoughts seem just being focussed on "today" and not "tomorrow". What then? Lost and forgotten for series, movies and some documentations?

65 (edited by throgh 2020-01-08 21:32:56)

Thinking about about the toxic waste capitalism is leaving us all onto is very important to recognize possible solutions. And I'm not talking about creating another system as some replacement, having therefore the ultimate solution at once. We need to start reflecting the failures instead playing some kind of bad game and being believable is about that. A solution is built on top of being honest to each other and stop hunting for buzzwords, for greed or power. In fact a personal statement: Power is up to no one for the better treating all people under equal rights. Capitalism or the so-called "regulation of free markets" is nothing more than some buzzwords hanging around. In the end the "market" is following the ruleset of the one with the biggest budget, not with the reasonable idea behind. Inclusion and diversity are not just simple "words" and creating vendor lock-in just as systemd, Java, Mono, Rust, PulseAudio and many more are doing is not an illusion. Where is the freedom of choice? Why not to choose some module and instead replace it by another one fitting more into the personal usecase? Not many seem listening these days and the hills of toxic waste are growing, full with cheap marketing speech.

66 (edited by throgh 2020-01-11 11:16:54)

Buzzword "social media" (or "networks") is nothing more than a big lie itself. Or do you have possibilities to really get in touch with more than 5 persons called as "followers" or "friends" at a time? There is no difference between open and proprietary, decentralized and centralized systems. You could call them as they are really anti-social as opposite. Information are so fast overcome by the next big "problem in the news" that there is no further time getting deeper into context. And yes: There are situations you better talk about, for example when people and participants declare racism, sexism, ableism and generalized hatred as "freedom of speech". Protecting democratic values is one thing, protecting marginalized beings another and also very important. But instead our global society don't even recognize the flaws and failures these days.

Standing outside is another problem as your own existance is "ignored" or people just talk "about" you. And we should be honest: Getting information is important but better to stay in touch with each other throughout forums like these here. As noted always again: I hope I just scribble down some dystopian vision and not the reality itself as I want being wrong with my wording and writing here. But when I read about people I had contact in the past throughout Diaspora for example writing today the same black and white pictures they wanted to destroy back in those days, tried to give others a vision about emancipation and autonomy, I have clear doubts. So today they write about "enemies", but what is this wording? An enemy is nothing more than absolute ultimate form to be "destroyed". This is pure agitation against emancipation and people are even more into harsh words in those anti-social networks and systems. After words the deeds? sad

So I'll take this moment and underline again: Companies like Microsoft, Apple, Google and many others are not evil by intention. And there is no easy answer for the situation. But why not just ignoring them? Giving them any further platform won't help from my point of view, as it is the same making them to the some kind of "evil". There is many "evil" when we take this phrasing. But to overcome it is not done by some revolution, better to analyze the situation in concrete and this cannot be done from a single person or group. We need decentralized communication, we need time for doing all of this. But our time is running out the same time we stay in our nice little illusion capitalism is giving us. And when we are not "worthy" enough? Thrown out, ignored and marginalized. Who decides being "worthy"? Well, that's a question. And why should even an individual being on earth reduced to be "worthy" or "not worthy"? Even a better question and this rabbit hole is very deep and dark.

Guess what: Some time ago the FSF announced that the MMORPG (short term for Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game) The Saga of Ryzom went "open" being therefore a big step forward. You can read about that here. What is left about that more than fourteen years later? Exactly nothing. Yes, you can play with a Linux-client. But could you establish your own server? Well, there were some tryouts but there is exactly no further tutorial to be found and there are no further servers available for now.

So that's a very good example on how the "free, libre software" failed. No, not the idealistic picture but just big words and cheap phrases. Nothing more, nothing less. And it gets from month to month, from year to year even more complicated. Not just because of all the ongoing vendor lock-ins, not just because of hollow phrasing and marketing, just about being believable and staying onto the principles.

68 (edited by throgh 2020-01-15 23:17:29)

Tired of all the same as time goes by: For what? Enough so-called fighters and activists for "freedom and privacy" just mention the so-called "freedom of speech" again and again. But they give no further clue on where this freedom ends. In fact it seems just endless for themselves and as mentioned here in the thread already: Freedom of speech has got a clear defined end. Exactly when the freedom of others should be restricted, their dignity and essential rights taken away throughout this "freedom" - which is in fact the opposite. You know how to call this? It is the Third Position.

In fact we need something like the FSF, but more being clear without failures or unclear standing for principles. We just don't need big names within as some "leadership", more of questioning and discussion. But what am I writing down? It seems this burried under so much searching for "convenience". And first principle: It's just not only about YOUR freedom, it's just about the freedom for everyone and equal rights. You don't want to hear or read criticism? You want people being in drawers? Think again and please just leave the sphere of free, libre software collecting thoughts and try to reflect first. Afterwards try again! Standing against hate, standing against authority and against prejudices - not meaning tolerance for intolerance, you know?

Arrogance and pure ignorance are definitely major problems these days. So who is exactly talking about the focus on "internet" in general? And more about: Just why? Why not decentralize the knowledge itself, making it open? And why should we think about cloning services and handles like the interface of so-called "webapplications"? Yes, there are people without knowing about the computer in general and just using their mobile devices including telephone-capabilities. Getting those people into "free, libre soft- and hardware" is a big task, getting them into "free, colorful culture" even bigger. This cannot be done by just getting the people where they are. The same as everything: It is a complete and complicate change with many steps to be taken and this is an individual decision. First things first: The people need to be open for those ideas. Just getting news and updates onto them in closed and walled services is a really bad and ignorant idea.

But anyways i told them what i have... And some people accused me of
having something to hide on my laptop... Like gay porn or being a
pedophile which is very insulting... I understand the right to privacy
slowly disappears these days. But it seems like for people who usually
use windows 10 machines, somebody like myself who is trying to stay
secure is seriously a dodgy person... Or maybe they're jelaous??

I find it fascinating that someone could condemn an individual for
using a secure computer. I (probably) do not have anything to hide in
my residence, but I still prefer to keep the curtains drawn and doors
locked. I see no reason for a computer to be any different.

71 (edited by throgh 2020-01-22 18:26:48)

Yes and I'd like to add also: Everybody has "something" to hide even when living in some kind of safety for the moment - that is at some point very vague as the political situation can always be changed. If some party comes into influence tending to abolish democratic basics, it is over with sentences like I have nothing to hide!. It is essential having therefore a system respecting the right for being free from following "for the greater good".

One further example why? We have it already: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= … ebook-OOMD

Is "Facebook" therefore absolute "evil"? As always: Of course not. But their intention is therefore not correct or even in some ways helpful. And their work, their services also not. It is not intentionally "evil", it is more about being just ignorant and arrogant. That's the major issue and problem. Another one, because systemd is adopted by many distributions and even the FSF doesn't really care about that. It is just easy to get into major parts of distributions when there is just this type of bloatware used and it is still growing.

72 (edited by throgh 2020-01-29 22:25:13)

cynicfm wrote:

Hey i have read something about facebook alghoritms being implemented into arch linux distribution, basically some compression .zstd
Even parabola had to adopt this
Here is info
https://www.parabola.nu/news/from-arch- … mpression/

I read that this new .zstd is made by facebook that it is made for purpose of testing their alghorytms on every arch linux user... Isn't that crap ;o
I wonder if you have more information about this??

Thanks for the message: Reading through the related article on Wikipedia offers more technical insights and also mentions the relation between Facebook as the project itself is hosted on a repository from this company. But that's one major issue as this algorithm was and is developed under some really clear circumstances as much data should be compressed on the infrastructure of Facebook. Seems nice from them to share this? No it isn't as this is part of making dependencies and the false liberalism of "Open-Source" into "free, libre software".

Well okay: It is using a dual-licensing model: BSD License + GPLv2. But in fact we will find more of those moves in many projects these days. For example: Thunderbird. Looking here: https://blog.thunderbird.net/2020/01/th … -new-home/

Sharing a quote:

[...] The move will allow the project to collect revenue through partnerships and non-charitable donations, which in turn can be used to cover the costs of new products and services. [...]

Exactly that: non-charitable donations ... meaning therefore not "donations" for the project to develop for everybody the same but more only of "some" interests of individuals and groups. Yeah, of course: It is always about interests. But why integrating so much things being so clearly away from ideals and making companies like Facebook even more "relevant"? Just because of the size of packages? And what "interests"? Making money from data collected throughout usage of Thunderbird? There are just more lies ahead! More about "being unbelievable".

Just as always the adaption is done from within the "open-source"-community and is a flavor for being made as some kind of "free, libre software". But when we look at the whole landscape it is questionable what is reached today. Being strict onto "free, libre projects" could be one first step as companies will never bring up more than their own interests. Pragmatic, toxic waste is left!

Being "believable" means also staying "true" to ideals. So of course it is one thing running proprietary software like older games under GNU/Linux, trying to make those kind of software running in some kind of sandbox: DOSBox, ScummVM, Wine and free, libre emulators for roms and cartridges. But does this also include running proprietary native software in a whole? Does this also include coming up with vendor lockins throughout bloated packages like systemd? And what about running Linux (without GNU) on mobile devices with phone-capabilities? Yes, the PinePhone has some variety upcoming with "Ubuntu Touch" for example and especially this one has enough applications to proprietary services like Facebook and many more included to the "repository" named as application-storage .

So where to draw the line? Where is the difference? Exactly there: Running completely in a sandbox without the need connectivity. Everyone has the own responsibility to draw a line for own needs. But when it comes up to connect throughout the global network, the line is clearly to be defined and this pragmatism will get us all into serious trouble.

74 (edited by throgh 2020-04-01 20:30:17)

So, here we are again, folks. And we are talking again - as always - about being believable in regards to free, libre software. So is NPM to be trusted after the project was bought by Github, therefore originated towards Microsoft? Don't get me wrong: It is not only about that Microsoft has literally years after years showing up that they DON'T LIKE free, libre software and their "new strategy" is just more of the same. It is just about the money in general: So Github bought NPM, therefore also the complete JavaScript-ecosystem itself and Microsoft will show again that they can not be trusted. Perhaps the project itself will stay "free" for some time, but will take the same way Mono did once. As company it is all about the money within Microsoft even if there are people really being into "open-source" and "free, libre software". Such a big machinery can't be changed from the inside, it'll always stop you or your planning when it comes up on money and that's the motor the capitalism is driving through. Do we get this? Or are we just that corrupted? That's the major point: Being believable includes also being sticked onto clear principles and when somebody is coming with the big money the answer stays just NO, it has to be that way because otherwise nothing will be changed for good. And the same with all those projects being hosted on Github: Leave that place, the outcome won't be better. There are others like notabug.org or libregit.org!

First of all I've thought this was a joke on April 1st this year, a really bad one. But now afterwards within the retrospective: No, it seems like MariaDB is going also to be distributed as "Software as a Service" or better to be called "Database as a Service". Reading therefore also the official announcement: https://mariadb.com/resources/blog/soar … th-skysql/

So what has this to do with being believable? Near everything, even better at least: All points. Remember what was once written about "Software as a Service" with Who does that server really serve? from Richard Stallman? Here we have got the same: Even while MariaDB sticks onto the principles of being licensed under the GPL-2, do they REALLY respect the principles? Or is it again more of the same? Making money out of it while more and more freedom gotten into the backyard or is even abolished completely. From my perspective MariaDB is the same like MySQL and should be removed from all repositories. With PostgreSQL there is a good alternative being even more into clear principles!