26 (edited by throgh 2019-12-26 19:09:32)

Re: Games under GNU/Linux-libre

One moment in Minetest, build from my nephew and myself on our little dedicated server:

https://framapic.org/2guErWxbMFVb/Dftu59lZMn72.png

Underwater expeditions:

https://framapic.org/XN7PMY3O28M4/2whwVN3yAXQj.png

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

27 (edited by cynicfm 2019-12-26 23:49:23)

Hey mate... I have no idea how to build all these things in this game...
When i play it it's just nothing and i can only mine ground or whatever ;P. I get some blocks but that's it...

At the moment i am busy configuring openbox desktop ;P. I have downloaded polybar, currently also going to generate the obmenu. I know there is obmenugenerator,  but AUR requiries some perl dependencies and i can't be arsed to download them seperately...
This is interesting :-).

If you want I can give you more insights into Minetest later on, because most is done via additionals modifications. But as you see: There is literally no further border and you can make nice buildings, even fight on with additional game-content and visit "Middleearth". smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

If you want I can give you more insights into Minetest later on, because most is done via additionals modifications. But as you see: There is literally no further border and you can make nice buildings, even fight on with additional game-content and visit "Middleearth". smile

Yeah, sure i will let you know when i am ready, as i am not really playing anything at the moment ;P. I am learning how to make nice and candy desktop environment using just openbox + components i can install with it. It's gonna take time of course, but it's fun!!!!
I am looking forward to write things like scripts, cuz this is what i have been wanting for a while...
It's nice that i can customize my desktop from scratch instead of having something out of the box... :-). It makes me stop thinking about using non-free software or installing manjaro openbox edition, haha :-P

Have a nice day :-)

Hey

I have managed to play hedgewars online with other people... Although i needed to download Hedgewars 1.0.0 from website and build it from source (using cmake). I had to download haskell dependencies and physfs = or > 3.0.0
so i have done this using cmake . make make install...
but physfs installed on /usr/bin/local instead of just /usr/bin
I didnt know how to configure it to install on just /usr/bin so hedgewars can detect the new version instead of the hyperbola one which was 2.0.3-2 i think... So i had to manually copy like 7 files from /usr/bin/local to /usr/bin so hedgewars compiler can detect the new version of physfs to start compiling

after all i have installed hedgewars 1.0.0 and newest physfs 3.0.2 and now i am enjoying this game online playing with other players is fun tongue.
I can't upload a screenshot cuz i cant access catbox.moe and i am not able to upload anything on framapic... maybe it's because of tor socks enabled??? tongue

31 (edited by throgh 2019-12-30 02:12:20)

Are you sure about the folder /usr/bin/local? I've looked into the created package for physfs at Arch Linux: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/comm … sfs/files/

There are no further binaries for installation as it is a library. Or is there another dependency? Well, I'm looking into it.

EDIT: The PKGBUILD needs the package ghc-libs. Did you created this also?

32 (edited by cynicfm 2019-12-30 02:55:32)

throgh wrote:

Are you sure about the folder /usr/bin/local? I've looked into the created package for physfs at Arch Linux: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/comm … sfs/files/

Oh sorry my bad actually it was /usr/local/bin tongue

[root@zalewek filip]# cd physfs-3.0.2
[root@zalewek physfs-3.0.2]# ls
CMakeCache.txt       docs                  libphysfs.so        Makefile    test_physfs
CMakeFiles           extras                libphysfs.so.1      README.txt
cmake_install.cmake  install_manifest.txt  libphysfs.so.3.0.2  src
CMakeLists.txt       libphysfs.a           LICENSE.txt         test
[root@zalewek physfs-3.0.2]# make install
[ 47%] Built target physfs
[ 52%] Built target test_physfs
[100%] Built target physfs-static
Install the project...
-- Install configuration: ""
-- Installing: /usr/local/lib/libphysfs.a
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/lib/libphysfs.so.3.0.2
-- Installing: /usr/local/lib/libphysfs.so.1
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/lib/libphysfs.so
-- Installing: /usr/local/bin/test_physfs
-- Installing: /usr/local/include/physfs.h
-- Installing: /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/physfs.pc

But the hedgewars looked for physfs in /usr/lib and /usr/bin without local... I didnt know how to make physfs 3.0.2 install not on in the local directory so i had to copy everything to non local dir like here:

[root@zalewek physfs-3.0.2]# cp /usr/local/include/physfs.h /usr/include/physfs.h

and that was hedgewars complaining about physfs

[filip@zalewek hedgewars-src-1.0.0]$ cmake .
-- Building 1.0.0-r15451 (3102d95a870e)
-- Using Release configuration
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:240 (message):
  PhysFS version is too old (detected 2.0.3, required 3.0.0)998f8a367d3b1227d8911c9c83b8489ad1d2628f0b8458e22b527fcf  -

Perform an update of PhysFS to fix this.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

I had 2.0.3 hyperbola version installed as well as 3.0.2 but in local dir... I deleted hyperbola hedgewars and 2.0.3 physfs and installed both from source again.

EDIT: The PKGBUILD needs the package ghc-libs. Did you created this also?

Yes i have installed ghc from hyperbola

community/ghc 8.0.1-1.hyperbola1 [installed]

http://hedgewars.org/download.html
https://www.icculus.org/physfs/

But hey i figured it out how to build it from source to play online so i am happy with this and although it is small thing for me this is accomplishment as i managed to build the game completely from source for first time....
I wanted to change something in cmake though like the directory where the package is installed to but i didnt know how and not sure if its possible wink
Things r interesting here wink. Perhaps it's better to install games straight from source because they're newer version than hyperbola ones and it lets me play online with other players??
I have just checked wesnoth game and it seems like it is up to date though... Although i have tried to play it in the past and i sucked hard!!! Hedgewars is so much fun...
I am really bad at games... I only feel confident enough with stuff like diablo 2 cuz i played this for many years... Strategy games etc. i am very bad...

This is the hedgewars dependencies just in case

### Core dependencies

To compile and install Hedgewars, you need at least:

- A C++ compiler (e.g. GCC)
- CMake >= 2.6.0
- A make program (e.g. GNU Make)
- Free Pascal Compiler (FPC) >= 2.2.4
- Qt 5
- SDL >= 2.0
- SDL\_net >= 2.0
- SDL\_mixer >= 2.0
- SDL\_image >= 2.0
- SDL\_ttf >= 2.0
- PhysFS >= 3.0.0

On FreeBSD, you also need the package “fpc-rtl-extra”.

### Recommended optional dependencies

These are not strictly required to build Hedgewars, but it's
usually better to have them installed. Hedgewars has fallback mechanisms
in if these are not found on your system.

- Lua = 5.1.0

### Optional dependencies

For some additional features, you can optionally install these dependencies:

- For PNG screenshots:
    - libpng >= 1.2
- For video recording:
    - FFmpeg or Libav
- For the Hedgewars Server:
    - GHC >= 6.10
    - Various Haskell packages (see below)

Lua will be automatically built if not found.

### Hedgewars Server dependencies

The Hedgewars Server is an **optional** separate application.
It provides the online lobby and allows players to create rooms.
You will also be able to launch the server from the frontend
(network play → local network → start server).

**Most players do not need this!**

To compile it, you need:

- Glasgow Haskell Compiler (GHC) >= 6.10
- These Haskell packages:
    - `containers`
    - `vector`
    - `bytestring`
    - `network` >= 2.3
    - `random`
    - `time`
    - `mtl` >= 2
    - `sandi`
    - `hslogger`
    - `process`
    - `deepseq`
    - `utf8-string`
    - `SHA`
    - `entropy`
    - `zlib` >= 0.5.3 and < 0.7
    - `regex-tdfa`
    - `binary` >= 0.8.5.1

Have a good day its 3:38am here time for me to go :-)

Ah, thanks for the insights. smile
Do you use PKGBUILD to create packages for further installation? From your notes I've only seen you're using make install. This is so far okay, but you could get afterwards problems with further dependencies when installing new packages and applications looking in different folders - okay, this is obvious regarding the reported error.

What I had done:

- Downloaded the PKGBUILD from Arch here, best into a seperated folder.
- Navigating with console to this created folder and executed makepkg.

Afterwards I had the package ready for further installation, done with sudo pacman -U [PACKAGE]! smile

34 (edited by cynicfm 2019-12-30 19:58:33)

Yes i have done this in the past, downloaded snapshot then command makepkg -si or makepkg -C and download.

I guess i will perform this next time, i don't know why i completely have forgotten about this is possible thus i have downloaded source codes from official websites :-P
Hedgewars is really nice, i am going to try different games soon :-).

No problem, but you've got also an alternative: Building a so-called "portable" version for being executed just in-place. You could create therefore a seperated folder named for example "hedgewars" into your HOME-folder. Next time you install a newer version you could take this with you just by installing the needed packages. smile

Spawnpoint rework:

https://framapic.org/WKPkLoKzWp1J/SZb0WINGy9J5.png

37 (edited by throgh 2020-01-03 21:40:36)

Some impressions from the proprietary but DRM-free game Eagle Island running under Hyperbola.

https://framapic.org/qtPbTvQY5rSC/EMAUtDnDyU5g.png
https://framapic.org/a4H9w5n1HSut/paclY1DBXIhC.png
https://framapic.org/Jw05zPxBf64E/1Te8x4z3ROkd.png

What i find troublesome with wesnoth is that it requries too much clicking with mouse...
Perhaps there is the way to move units using keyboard but it seems like complicated stuff for me...

Same with wyrmsun, i mainly use thinkpad trackpoint for computing, i dont have a mouse haha ;p
playing strategy games without mouse is so much effort!!

Housing in Minetest:

https://framapic.org/zmAVDrPYvJdZ/8d9zWugCP9Hd.png

If I may, my $0.02 CAD is as follows:

I know a guy, who has no qualms with anyone procuring non-free and/or proprietary software because, as he says, 'They (the developers) didn't make it for my OS (GNU), so they're not losing any money since I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.'.

41 (edited by throgh 2020-01-18 12:40:10)

Thanks: That's also a perspective, but I think buying a package is something I can give back. Meaning also not the present situation and more the past. I'd like to buy the boxed versions for the early consoles for examples. And I look back onto beautiful boxes for System Shock 1 + 2 or Ultima 9 for example. Those are even examples for the ideas and artstyle back the days. Therefore I'm willing to give money and of course for running those classics, with ports and free, libre software itself.

Yes this is not completely free and libre for sure. But it is possible to send those games back into a "sandbox" where they can run. So when I talk about gaming most the time I think of exactly this and the fun running those classics, trying to get them working exactly the way they were meant once released. And of course there are also some interesting indie-titles, but most of the games released now are nothing more than really expensive productions. Good graphics, but is there more behind? Some, but most the time just "more graphics". Some games are to mentioned where the developers did some brave decisions for gameplay and design: Starbound for example and I'd love this game being "free and libre", but it isn't. The entertainment-software is just a good approval why "free culture" is not compatible with capitalism in general because there is this ever growing picture of "more": Money, people involved, more of everything without reflections and the "people" just accept this all without questioning and buy more "hardware" as new games need more "power" (CPU, RAM, graphicscard). Breaking through with this is on possibility and just not ignoring to give something back, speaking about "money" as one but support and favor for free and libre games itself as Minetest for example is one big thing with such wonderful possibilities and there are more of them. wink

And last but not least: Meaning also to preserve the older titles with toolsets like ScummVM, Wine and DOSBox! I'd love to have all those classics ready for selection without paying anything from sources like archive.org, selectable as wineprefix with all needed, just as an example. But I doubt this will ever happen and sooner or later movies, series, books and yes, also software, will just be one thing: Services to be payed! So the amount of money one could pay decides of accessing different levels being such important for learning - of course not referring to "all games and software in general" - but at last and there we have the case fixed as capitalism always leaves a really big toxic waste and we have not even talked about hatred, greed and so much more coming up with it. The question to the anonymous reader(s) here: Did you ever recognized Netflix and Co. being some big problem? Think again about it when really everything is just behind a "paywall" and some other comparable mechanisms. But that's the thing with idealism and perhaps one day it could be possible to overcome the concurrent situation, because that's what called "modern gaming" is nothing about "playing a game" more about just making money.

42 (edited by throgh 2020-01-19 19:46:49)

More impressions from Minetest - built with and from my nephew:

Our "outpost":

https://framapic.org/VODXr1lmUXGK/2DSMjGCI2eah.png
https://framapic.org/mcCGoP1Xnb87/j5iHgGiYJMnf.png

Plane starting:

https://framapic.org/2fJzIGsbKVWU/kRbSdYXUkSqH.png
https://framapic.org/0b4qzePpVCSi/e49IVnqo2glO.png

43 (edited by cynicfm 2020-01-20 23:18:53)

Ok i am back. tongue
After playing lots of hedgewars rounds with other players, i have decided to give wesnoth a try... There aren't any people playing hedgewars at night, so i started some campaign in wesnoth and things are fun, although i am not gonna lie that being able to level units give a lot of good to this game, otherwise it would be quite boring in my opinion ;P

I read its important to level main character, well on this mission i gained 0 exp with them ;d. Only leveled single units. But i want to give myself a challenge on later campaigns to play on hardest difficulty levels.

So here is battle:
https://framapic.org/XVDiUM4NBNsM/uh40sz9dmcux.jpg

Fighting boss:
https://framapic.org/ZQkk8oU4uY2K/ZVfV7bdS34wM.png

Victory!!
https://framapic.org/F7CxNr7NP7Xd/rSOPOYZ1uvWU.jpg

I should mention here that like i posted in the past that i played lots of mmorpg games... It's crazy because i still keep thinking about playing them... I haven't played one mmorpg for years but still keep thinking about coming back... (And even if i turn it on after 5 minutes i turn it off cuz game is pain to me but still keep appearing in my head) One mmo that i have deleted account in in beginning of december, well i requested deletion but it will delete on february... This game still keeps appearing in my head as well... It is only a proof of how much these popular online games addictive are... And it's made on purpose... But i also know that people who play these gamez, have high llevels etc. but their lives are quite dull i have noticed... These mmorpgs r what make lots of people lives great but i dont think that many people can be aware of this... Like they make them think that your life is great because u have high level but i noticed that most of them is just job and after job computer and games and over and over, only numbers change on the screen but nothing else.
I am not gonna lie that if i had thousands dollars on some credit card i'd be buying some modern new PC and world of warcraft and get hooked, but i don't ;P. I have made a decision years ago to quit these popular games like diablo 3 etc. and got rid of laptop that was capable to run them... So now having 10 yo librebooted machine, libre games like wesnoth, wyrmsun or hedgewars is all i have ^.^. At least i have some sense of freedom and these titles don't require me to pay fees every month to unlock everything, to have membership/premium/prepaid not free account, because when you're free and not pay, your life sucks!!!

44 (edited by throgh 2020-01-21 11:01:57)

Hello and welcome back: You can play titles like "World of Warcraft". Perhaps even on the device with Libreboot. Otherwise I'd recommend trying out building your own setup with Coreboot on a ThinkPad X220. Yes, that is not completely free but you have a little bit more "power" because for the scenario I'm describing you'll need a bit more extra.

Speaking about World of Warcraft you could even build your own private server using free, libre software: https://github.com/cmangos/mangos-classic
Speaking about Diablo the same: https://github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX

With devilutionX you can run Diablo completely native under GNU/Linux-libre and also Libreboot - done a tryout by myself. Yes, this is not "Diablo 3". But you need even for World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 an account for the proprietary services coming up from Blizzzard. Better having the old titles and you have no further problems! There are even works making devilutionX compatible with PVPGN. wink

Progress building a "castle" in Minetest:

https://framapic.org/gBcCsFaWIJo7/JwdnVOcLKcVL.png

Progress building a "castle" in Minetest:

https://framapic.org/DO8TcAETn905/PIMjGRxsHQ4U.png

Cheers

Well, i am trying to follow the principle of not playing games designed for windows when i am using gnu/linux ;-)... The trouble is that i have played these games before for so much time like diablo 2, i spent years playing that game online... And also i kind of miss having a proper PC for playing games with keyboard and mouse and nice display... So i might just get some PC from times before AMD PSP came out (in 2013??) just so i can play stuff like Call of Duty 4 or Witcher 1 well, i have never played newer titles...
I have spent much of my time playing online games, but single are more appealing to me since i don't need internet connection to be able to play something and that is huge + and i am able to create own world on my own in single player game...

How long does it take to build castle like this in minecraft ;P. I tried to play this game but i start with nothing and i have no idea whats this game all about... I really enjoy discovering games i have never played before on this libreboot, wesnoth is nice and i am going to complete every campaign at some point... Also will try games using dos-box too :-). As for pc since i can't use windows 7 i might just install something like artix or devuan on PC and use it as it was windows machine... I don't need it now though, but i kind of miss playing some Call of Duty 4 on PC, i played that one online as well...

48 (edited by throgh 2020-01-22 06:25:41)

All the tipps and trick are no "must" just showing possibilities as also Wine itself. I'm using it only for classics and old titles to run and isolate them completely. Same would be possible for Blizzard-titles. smile

To build something like the "castle" it'll need much more time and tryouts. Minetest relies much on modifications, perhaps you could have a look here.

49 (edited by throgh 2020-01-22 11:07:45)

More impressions on games:

Albion

https://framapic.org/RyVTC95WtEY5/Yr8LmmG6t9Ho.png

Strife - Veteran Edition

https://framapic.org/VXj1dSuyABcp/DFYlKDeVYd5c.png

NOTE: If there is interest I could create a patch on how to compile Strife under Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre! smile

Building a "castle" in Minetest:

https://framapic.org/n8vhcokNsymd/o8Mx6AORtLcE.png
https://framapic.org/I8SJwEkI9CGu/gIKi06AguzDg.png
https://framapic.org/2Tl0viQwAEaR/e8LfFz6eILVv.png