26 (edited by throgh 2020-01-19 19:46:49)

Re: Games under GNU/Linux-libre

More impressions from Minetest - built with and from my nephew:

Our "outpost":

https://framapic.org/VODXr1lmUXGK/2DSMjGCI2eah.png
https://framapic.org/mcCGoP1Xnb87/j5iHgGiYJMnf.png

Plane starting:

https://framapic.org/2fJzIGsbKVWU/kRbSdYXUkSqH.png
https://framapic.org/0b4qzePpVCSi/e49IVnqo2glO.png

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

27 (edited by throgh 2020-01-21 11:01:57)

Hello and welcome back: You can play titles like "World of Warcraft". Perhaps even on the device with Libreboot. Otherwise I'd recommend trying out building your own setup with Coreboot on a ThinkPad X220. Yes, that is not completely free but you have a little bit more "power" because for the scenario I'm describing you'll need a bit more extra.

Speaking about World of Warcraft you could even build your own private server using free, libre software: https://github.com/cmangos/mangos-classic
Speaking about Diablo the same: https://github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX

With devilutionX you can run Diablo completely native under GNU/Linux-libre and also Libreboot - done a tryout by myself. Yes, this is not "Diablo 3". But you need even for World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 an account for the proprietary services coming up from Blizzzard. Better having the old titles and you have no further problems! There are even works making devilutionX compatible with PVPGN. wink

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Progress building a "castle" in Minetest:

https://framapic.org/gBcCsFaWIJo7/JwdnVOcLKcVL.png

Progress building a "castle" in Minetest:

https://framapic.org/DO8TcAETn905/PIMjGRxsHQ4U.png

30 (edited by throgh 2020-01-22 06:25:41)

All the tipps and trick are no "must" just showing possibilities as also Wine itself. I'm using it only for classics and old titles to run and isolate them completely. Same would be possible for Blizzard-titles. smile

To build something like the "castle" it'll need much more time and tryouts. Minetest relies much on modifications, perhaps you could have a look here.

31 (edited by throgh 2020-01-22 11:07:45)

More impressions on games:

Albion

https://framapic.org/RyVTC95WtEY5/Yr8LmmG6t9Ho.png

Strife - Veteran Edition

https://framapic.org/VXj1dSuyABcp/DFYlKDeVYd5c.png

NOTE: If there is interest I could create a patch on how to compile Strife under Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre! smile

Building a "castle" in Minetest:

https://framapic.org/n8vhcokNsymd/o8Mx6AORtLcE.png
https://framapic.org/I8SJwEkI9CGu/gIKi06AguzDg.png
https://framapic.org/2Tl0viQwAEaR/e8LfFz6eILVv.png

Hmm, bunch of games under DOS and old roms running under Mednafen. Also builds of games I've mentioned here within the thread! Some classics I like under Wine, for example SpellForce 2. smile

Ha, a nice game and such good looking. Remembering me to my all-time favorite Age of Empire back the days! And yes: Loving it in network sessions with my dad and my nephew. big_smile

Okay? Looks interesting. Could you please share more insights about that kind of game?

Thanks, will have a look onto that. smile

37 (edited by throgh 2020-04-05 20:45:45)

Nice, but having a look onto a possible listing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_o … ideo_games) there is much to do regarding really open, libre games under GNU/Linux. And I think this won't be solved within the next years as even the FSF is onto the false impression that Saga of Ryzom is really free and open. Well, surprise: It is not. Most content is licensed under CC-BY-SA, but the sound and music is not to be found. After all there is even no possibility creating an own, local server for playing this game with friends in the network for example. So gaming is one interesting part, but nevertheless it is an illusion when talking about "freedom" especially under GNU/Linux. Not talking about all those projects being hosted on Github, which is just another proprietary platform. So at first for all and for the greater good of having a decentralized, libre software: Delete Github, once and for all!

Yes, Hyperbola can run many games. Also I like to test very much. But until today I don't get it why exactly so many users are onto platforms like "Steam" for example or think that Github is a "good place" to host source-code repositories. In fact Microsoft has begun to look at notable projects, either for buying them or take action otherwise in the first place. It is time fo get away, getting really more independent action without all those big names.

Doesn't mean they are just "evil" in the first place, it's just about their ignorance where more bad things can happen. And "money" is major driver for everything. So good people there at Google or Microsoft cannot do a thing about it: They have no further lobby when it comes to "money"!

I had many discussions since the first release of Steam - meaning the platform itself. I had even some insights in the later 2000s when giving that a tryout and yes: Giving away data is the correct definition as Steam itself can track you with your playtime for example. Nevertheless it's also about DRM, but people tend to give some lame excuses in our times. After all you don't own any copy and any data, even your "account" is nothing more than being a nice, lovely "favor". That's one reasoning and enough for me to quit after some weeks in the mentioned time above, staying onto my criticism. Same with all about Github: Those big names are nothing "helpful" as it is all about data, nothing more.

I am really paranoid about playing a game from torrents,

I might be misinterpreting here, but from personal experience, I can say that
if I wanted to run a torrented Windows game, or any other questionable software
for some purpose, I have a "gaol" user specifically for that purpose. gaol's
only group is (ideally) itself. Nothing important is kept in its home directory,
making it in my mind, an easy and safe way to purge any malicious files residing
in gaol's home.

outtasight wrote:

I might be misinterpreting here, but from personal experience, I can say that
if I wanted to run a torrented Windows game, or any other questionable software
for some purpose, I have a "gaol" user specifically for that purpose. gaol's
only group is (ideally) itself. Nothing important is kept in its home directory,
making it in my mind, an easy and safe way to purge any malicious files residing
in gaol's home.

Yeah, nice tipp.
Thank you. cool

42 (edited by throgh 2020-08-15 22:13:54)

Gaming under WINE with Blades of Time, DRM-free version:

https://wtf.roflcopter.fr/pics/mE7wlV2z/oiBJrgJh.png
https://wtf.roflcopter.fr/pics/FPurpcmf/eWBiClY1.png

Yes, this is done with a free, libre operating-system, no further modifications needed on the wineprefix built and on a ThinkPad X220 with Coreboot, as free as possible! Yes, the game itself is not free, but this is another demonstration about what is possible without getting too far into proprietary hard- and software.

throgh wrote:

Gaming under WINE with Blades of Time, DRM-free version:

https://wtf.roflcopter.fr/pics/mE7wlV2z/oiBJrgJh.png
https://wtf.roflcopter.fr/pics/FPurpcmf/eWBiClY1.png

Yes, this is done with a free, libre operating-system, no further modifications needed on the wineprefix built and on a ThinkPad X220 with Coreboot, as free as possible! Yes, the game itself is not free, but this is another demonstration about what is possible without getting too far into proprietary hard- and software.

How well did Blades of Time run for you ? In terms of settings and frame rate.

44 (edited by throgh 2020-10-12 00:39:00)

PublicLewdness wrote:

How well did Blades of Time run for you ? In terms of settings and frame rate.

So far no further problems running the game. I don't really mind having more than 30 fps as it stays already proprietary content. Without DRM finally, but proprietary and it is nice to play for some time but I prefer way much older games as I don't see no further difference and change in the gameplay. Antialiasing and Parallax-Mapping are completely disabled, everything else is set to highest values. The game runs without further problems!

I'm having it-security questions related to free software and retro gaming:

If video game console emulators are the virtual console, then ROM files are the games.
But these ROM files, which can be found on the internet, are non-free software — and therefore a security risk.

What are good ways to deal with this?

• Ignoring, it's not much of a problem?

• Storing and executing the emulator and its ROM files only within a virtual machine? (Any suggestions what free software virtual machine program to use for this?)

• Having an extra offline computer for gaming, transfering needed emulators and its ROM files only via USB stick from the online computer, which is used for downloading all of that?

• Any other ideas and thoughts on this issue?

Good point you have made, but more or less this is about the emulator itself as the ROM-files are running within this environment. So if the emulator needs proprietary BIOS-routines to even start you should think of ditching. The more open the emulator-environment is the better - for the first start. For sure the ROM-files are proprietary code and assets, so running them is more or less at own risk.

Perhaps a list:

- Proprietary BIOS-roms needed to run?
- Network-code included for emulating something the original console was never capable of?

For sure that's not all, but a good starting point. Besides that you can also do other way around as there are possible ways to create your own ROM-files from original modules. Better that way as you don't have to trust downloaded files! smile

47 (edited by ConstantMotion 2021-05-27 19:13:29)

throgh wrote:

Good point you have made, but more or less this is about the emulator itself as the ROM-files are running within this environment. So if the emulator needs proprietary BIOS-routines to even start you should think of ditching. The more open the emulator-environment is the better - for the first start.

Got that point. Free software emulator = must-have. You know, I was heading into that direction, anyway, I just haven't mentioned it—but I should have, because it's not a matter of cause in general, but only like that for insiders.

throgh wrote:

For sure the ROM-files are proprietary code and assets, so running them is more or less at own risk.

Yeah. I've forgotten to mention a good example for this, showcasing the relevance. I've bumped into it a couple of days ago:

Wikipedia - ZSNES - 27 May 2021 wrote:

In 2015 an exploit that allowed a specially crafted SNES ROM to gain control of the host system, and thus be able to execute malicious code, was discovered in version 1.51; a partially fixed preview build was released shortly afterwards.[8]

8. ^ see source

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZSNES#Reception

throgh wrote:

Perhaps a list:

- Proprietary BIOS-roms needed to run?
- Network-code included for emulating something the original console was never capable of?

Please help me out, I don't understand these both points - despite trying to understand 2 times in the course of the day. What do you mean by both points? Could you put them in other, easier words?

throgh wrote:

For sure that's not all, but a good starting point. Besides that you can also do other way around as there are possible ways to create your own ROM-files from original modules. Better that way as you don't have to trust downloaded files! smile

That's right, that's another option - but arduous. I'm old school, but not THAT old school - prefering getting stuff from the internet.

In general there are emulators out there in need for BIOS-roms to start emulation. Hyperbola has therefore an entry in the Wiki: https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … :emulators

And besides the BIOS to run emulation: There are also programs for emulation out enhancing the "gameplay" through network. So you can play even with others. Best way getting both aside for being a security-risk. The more complex the system is getting there will be more possible ways to attack or having issues in general.

The example with ROM-files out of original modules is the safest way I know to have trustworthy content. Aside I understand for sure: Collecting all those modules is also not very pragmatic. wink More or less having to compromise emulators is possible at any time for sure. For downloaded ROM-files it would be a good way running them first just within a virtual-machine for initial testing. Best performance is not needed, just a first tryout to start and getting information about the content you are loading.

49 (edited by ConstantMotion 2021-05-28 21:35:32)

throgh wrote:

In general there are emulators out there in need for BIOS-roms to start emulation. Hyperbola has therefore an entry in the Wiki: https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … :emulators

And besides the BIOS to run emulation: There are also programs for emulation out enhancing the "gameplay" through network. So you can play even with others. Best way getting both aside for being a security-risk. The more complex the system is getting there will be more possible ways to attack or having issues in general.

The example with ROM-files out of original modules is the safest way I know to have trustworthy content. Aside I understand for sure: Collecting all those modules is also not very pragmatic. wink More or less having to compromise emulators is possible at any time for sure.

First of all: Thank you for making things clearer.

I think I got it, now. Cause of my misunderstanding was an insufficint technical insight into the realm of emulators:

There seem to be different ways to make one computer (the host system) emulate another computer or hardware (the guest system):

A computer or hardware running software - this computing setup basically consists of multiple parts, not just one:
The building block 'hardware itself', and the building block 'BIOS firmware'. You need both, otherwise the computing setup will be like a brick or like a TV without input like from a TV station or recorder, instead of being able to run software.

When a computing program (emulator) is developed for making one computer (the host system) emulate another computer or hardware (the guest system), this setup can be ditched - so, within the emulation setup there is just one building block, 'the hardware itself' - or that emulator can be built so closely to the way the guest system is built, that it is built with exactly that much building blocks like the guest system.
So, if the to be emulated computer or hardware consists of the building blocks 'hardware itself' and 'BIOS firmware', the emulator does so, as well.

And that's the catch: How free and trustworthy really is an emulator, consisting of multiple building blocks, which are all needed, but not all free/libre?
For an emulator to be free/libre and even just having a chance to be trustworthy, it needs to be completely free/libre - meaning all parts, not just some.
For that:
If the emulator is built up by just one building block 'the hardware itself', that needs to be free/libre.
If the emulator is built up by 2 building blocks, 'the hardware itself', and the 'BIOS firmware', both need to be free/libre.

The absolute minimum requirement for an emulator to be free/libre up to this point, within this frame so far, is that at least the building block 'hardware itself' must be free/libre,
and if there are additional necessary building blocks at least there needs to be a way to make these additional necessary building blocks as free/libre software. If that prospect of regarding additional necessary building blocks is a dead-end, if it's not possible to have that part of the emulator as free/libre software, then the whole can't be free software, which makes it a non-trustworthy environment, per se.

And one important clarification. ROMs - that's also not just one thing. ROMs encapsulate data of read only memory chips. Games are not the only read only memory chips. The BIOS firmware is one, too.
So, one has to differentiate ROMS: There are GAME-ROMs - containing the data of a video game cartridge - and there are BIOS-ROMs - containing the data of a firmware chip, which is actually a computer program.

You know, if you don't have that distinction in your head, if whenever you read 'ROM', you only think of GAME-ROMs, that one point you've added is not understandable.

With making an emulator the possibility arises to change the to be emulated computing setup, the guest system.
Most retro game systems are offline systems. When building an emulation of that systems one can add network capability, enabling the originally offline system to be able to interact with a system of the same kind over a network connection between both of them - so, opening the door to something similar to online gaming.
But that highens complexity of the system, and in general the more complex, the harder to understand a system is, the more problematic it becomes from an it-security perspective. So, for the sake of it-security, it would be better to not have such additions, which are not part of the original guest system. For the same reason its more favorable, if the emulation consists of less building blocks - being fine with just achieving the main thing (= that the system is running) - and for that purpose if possible reduce the amount of building blocks of the guest system, instead of treating that amount of building blocks the guest system originally consists of as a not to be touched holy grail, which must be kept exactly like that, as if it's not enough for the system to basically run.

So, the ideal way up to this point to sum things up is like this:

• A fully free emulator

• without fancy extensions for turning originally offline systems into network-capable systems

• for which Free dev tools for games/OS exist

• and a trustworthy GAME-ROM setup - which can be achieved by:

• DIY-style: Making the GAME-ROM by oneself

• Isolating the untrustworthy: Putting the emulator-'GAME-ROM'-setup into a virtual machine

• Other options*

*Maybe there is another way for having a trustworthy GAME-ROM setup, a lesson learned from a different online community: The music lover/audiophile bubble.
What music lovers want: Perfect digital copy of their beloved physical music - the content of a CD needs to be transfered in the best possible way onto a computer. The end product - that perfect copy - is called an image, as noted by the wiki link you've posted.
But what if the starting material, the CD for example, has a scratch? Or you hear a weird skip on the CD and the resulted image at the same spot? How can you be sure, that you really have what you want - a perfect copy? The answer developed in the music lover/audiophile community is
'standardized double checks locally + checking reproducibility globally by online collaboration'.
If you repetitively get the same image result including a certain checksum, and if you find out via an online data base, to which everyone can upload their own results, that you are not the only one generating checksum X for CD Y, but aside of you 231 other people around the world, then you can be pretty sure, that you've nailed it.
Can't the trustworthiness of GAME-ROMs be solved in a similar way?
By

• Standardizing the way a single person makes a GAME-ROM in DIY-style and making this whole setup and procedure a community habit, a culture

• and then publically comparing the results of the many ones with each other, checking reproducibility of what the single person has generated?

Could that borrowing of the culture of music lover/audiophile community also create for the retro gaming community trustworthyness in GAME-ROMs created by others?
I mean, this is pretty fancy: In music world that setup has created a world, where you don't need to rip a music CD by yourself for having a perfect digital copy of a music CD with certainty - you simply can look for it on the internet and look for evidence, that what you've found is identical to what a lot of other people independent of you or your source have generated by themselves. Something like that gotta has to be possible for gaming world, as well. I mean, if multiple people have generate the same thing independent from eath other, that makes it pretty unlikely, that said generated object is corrupted, is it?

throgh wrote:

For downloaded ROM-files it would be a good way running them first just within a virtual-machine for initial testing. Best performance is not needed, just a first tryout to start and getting information about the content you are loading.

That's one thing I don't understand: Why the restriction regarding the usage of the virtual machine? Why not just letting the whole emulator setup run in the VM all the time, whenever used? Why just for just letting it run first within a VM for initial testing? Is it a performance thing - meaning, outside a VM the system would run better, which is to be prefered once initial testing in a VM turns out that the emulator setup is save to use?
Upto this point I see 2 advantages missing out in doing so:

• Think of people, who can't program, who can't do initial testing within a VM: Letting an emulator-'GAME-ROM'-setup run within a VM whenever they are using it is their only option.

• Doesn't it make the whole process of playing 'per se'-non-trustworthy GAME-ROMs easier, when you just always put them into a VM whenever used? I mean, upto this point handling it like that looks to me like achieving 'trustworthy GAME-ROM setup' without the additional working step 'testing'.

Well, especially first onto the last part about VM: Yes, you can run emulation within those environments. But those are not done for intensive game-usage. For sure there are also possibilities about VGA-passthrough and many more options, but in general virtualization is not about emulation within an emulation as capacities are not endless. The hardware you need for doing a more complex emulation for example in regards of PCSX2 (PS2) or Dolphin (GameCube / Wii) is more than high. It is a part of consumption for energy and more as all of this is not endless. Doing some tests within a virtualized environment? For sure. But using virtualized environments for intense graphical parts? Well, the hardware-requirments would be very intense.

Gaming in general is so long not completely frustworthy as long as not all assets and the code are free for usage. But for sure there are reasonable ways to get most classic games into some kind of sandboxing - when talking about emulation. You can approve the hashsums for downloaded ROM-files also. But in general: Libre hardware itself is here the crossing border. We talk mostly about systems without intense parts. Doing there emulation for classic consoles is not a big issue, doing this within a virtualized environment would be a problem. Who to blame in the end? Well, all of us accepting unfree hardware which is setting us into some kind of golden cage and besides for sure ignorant being about enegery-consumption from modern systems. smile