Topic: Getting plasma-desktop to run

I installed the package plasma-desktop and restarted expecting that it would run on reboot. It didn't.

When I execute startkde
It throws up an error of
$DISPLAY is not set or can't connect to X server.

I tried

DISPLAY=anonymous:0.0
export DISPLAY

But still, same error throws up

Please help, there are no resources out there on Xenocara.

P.S. the "  -" in the registration capcha was quite the bottleneck for me.

Re: Getting plasma-desktop to run

I reinstalled xenocara followed by plasma. There are groups of packages that are installed for above keywords.

Please let me know how you installed your desktop environment if not for the above problem. I'm unable to proceed further. I really need to get DE installed ASAP.

sagaracharya wrote:

I reinstalled xenocara followed by plasma. There are groups of packages that are installed for above keywords.

Please let me know how you installed your desktop environment if not for the above problem. I'm unable to proceed further. I really need to get DE installed ASAP.

I usually when i first install Hyperbola, use xfce4 and then install this one called Draco Desktop, but yeah KDE and Gnome might be harder to install if you using white hole.

I recommend using XFCE, LXDE, or Mate for the time being, or Draco if you want.

PS, I also use LXDM and Lightdm to start my graphical interface.

sudo rc-update add lxdm default
sudo rc-update add lightdm default

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Besides the major problem that Draco Linux as desktop uses Github as major SCM for development and is therefore completely dependent on Microsoft-infrastructure. Don't get me wrong: The software itself could be good, but while having this it is also dependent on Qt and the "company" behind has more questionable licensing-ideas for the near future. Free as in freedom? Well, it depends. We should be honest to ourselves as this is an ongoing symptomatic as centralized infrastructure is one major problem.

Also questionable as the different desktop-environments have their own problems: LXDE is not completely ported to OpenBSD until today - I have not found any further functional port. So when we talk about small desktop-environments beside safe implementations like Xenocara, there is not that much left. IceWM - even though it is also just developed further on Github and therefore again dependent on centralized systems? DWM? JWM? LXDE when talking about GNU/Linux in general? Xfce, but with being cautious as GTK3 is taking over?

There is so much to decide, we have so many problems with freedom these days and sorry for taking this sidenote, we should discuss this within another thread. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Thank you very much zapper. You nailed it. Installed lxdm and added it to rc-update and it took me through to Plasma. Fantastic!

Throgh, yes, cloud has never made sense to me in terms of security. The major bottleneck of today's system though is not the software backdoors, they're hardware backdoors. Our processors are jokes.

I recommend Joanna Rutkowska's stateless laptop paper. She designed Qubes and recognized wow, the real problem is in hardware.

sagaracharya, out of curiosity, were you running startkde from a virtual terminal? The error you describe is the same one I get from such a procedure, unless I run startx startkde from a virtual terminal, or use a login manager.

Yes, it was a virtual terminal.