126

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

Being believable is including to examine and react on facts, not on somebody saying "It is okay!". You want an example?
Here you are: https://notabug.org/GPast/avideo/issues … ment-11299

Well? Where is the proof that youtube-dl is "okay"? First things first: The complete platform YouTube is a proprietary service!
Yes, the package youtube-dl can handle also others, but where is the difference between Vimeo and YouTube for example? Both are just proprietary, full with advertising and the complete opposite of free, libre services. Or is it possible to download some content without boundaries? No. Are free licenses respecting the users common sense? No. So here is the first failure of the FSF and their definition of "It is okay!", but there is more to come as the issue is giving us also more insights of the answer without any further reaction for a year now. The package youtube-dl has not a complete script-interpreter within, but execution of nonfree JavaScript, meaning obfuscated code as the posting also tells us? Okay, taking again the definition of the FSF as "It is okay!" ... where is the review of Github being problematic? Or do we never get more insights into that? More centralization? So much for being believable. Yes, nevertheless the work for free software is important, but on this level? Or do we have Chromium next on the list to come?

Come on: Strict principles are not to throw out when something fits into a far wider definition of being free in some ways, dear FSF. Either the complete way is free, or not. There is no shading here, just "Black" or "White". And to redefine a system being damaged to the ground - meaning the pragmatism of "Open-Source" and all the flaws to follow - is nothing more helpful. YouTube is a proprietary service and where is the trust on decentralized, free and libre software when relying just on that? KDE is doing that for their presentation, Gnome the same and many other projects.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

127 (edited by cynicfm 2020-05-31 00:45:27)

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

Youtube is a virus and it is sad fact...
Lost of people are so addicted to it that they will attack you and offend you if you say you simply don't go on it and when you ask them to stop sending you youtube links... But even if you do tell that to somebody 5 times: i don't watch youtube please don't send me links, they gonna send you links anyways and treat sending youtube links and watching videos like it is part of conversation between people... Haha if you go on lots of forums this is how usually conversation looks like is posting youtube videos and commenting them, this is such a low standard
It is so out of order mate... You don't allow yourself to visit youtube?? How can you not go on youtube, you weirdo???
Oh what's so great about watching ads and consume so much data?? What if i am on limited mobile data plan??? What i hate ads?? What if i have huge music collection and good equipment and i think listening to music on platforms that regularly will play you ads if you don't pay for rental of listening to music you don't own, simply sucks!!!!???? Is it so hard to understand??? So you say i am mental weirdo cuz i don't want to go on youtube?? But you think it's ok to use this platform because billion other people do too, right????? :-(

128

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

cynicfm wrote:

Youtube is a virus and it is sad fact...
Lost of people are so addicted to it that they will attack you and offend you if you say you simply don't go on it and when you ask them to stop sending you youtube links... But even if you do tell that to somebody 5 times: i don't watch youtube please don't send me links, they gonna send you links anyways and treat sending youtube links and watching videos like it is part of conversation between people... Haha if you go on lots of forums this is how usually conversation looks like is posting youtube videos and commenting them, this is such a low standard
It is so out of order mate... You don't allow yourself to visit youtube?? How can you not go on youtube, you weirdo???
Oh what's so great about watching ads and consume so much data?? What if i am on limited mobile data plan??? What i hate ads?? What if i have huge music collection and good equipment and i think listening to music on platforms that regularly will play you ads if you don't pay for rental of listening to music you don't own, simply sucks!!!!???? Is it so hard to understand??? So you say i am mental weirdo cuz i don't want to go on youtube?? But you think it's ok to use this platform because billion other people do too, right????? :-(

The platform itself is made being addictive in many ways, but even if there are alternatives people tend to use the most used platform because of missed out content. And I know about this problem as I tried with an own installation of Mediadrop. The site was visited and there were uploads besides mine, but people tend more to consume instead to create. Not a problem in general, but I see no further possibility to get this turned as even learning material for children is to be found just there, even though knowledge has to be free and accessible for everyone without boundaries to those services. I hope people get more into this and I want to help building alternatives - not with Mediadrop as there is Flash needed for uploading content.

But no one is weird when rejecting a service with reasoning. It is just more of the same: Convenience!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

129 (edited by cynicfm 2020-05-31 09:11:38)

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

Of course it is disrespectful... I don't mean people facebook addicts cuz i don't really care about them. I havent got many friends, like 200... Only few i am sorry...
Of course if you create a profile and don't post your personal photo, your account gets blocked straight away...
But even though i have got libreboot laptop and Hyperbola Gnu/Linux installed i still use Android Smartphone (i know one day i will grow up tired of it again)... Of course i try to keep tracking me etc. to minimum.
So i have got google apps disabled. What i actually realised quite few days ago, because i have got rooted smartphone, so i downloaded something like /d/gapps it is application that will allow me to disable/delete google apps, or stuff like mobile operator bloatwares or other...
So when i disabled gapps i have noticed that most web browsers available on f-droid won't open any website and don't function. The only one i can use with gapps disabled is IceCatMobile
So unfortunately F-droid is kind of tricky, because it is said to supports FOSS apps and inform you if somethjing is proprietary, but lots of stuff like web browsers can't function with google apps disabled.
Custom roms without gapps, i am pretty sure there is something from google in them too...

But you know can there be any real freedom when the hardware is not open??

PS. New android smartphones ask you to give stuff like face ID or it wants scan your fingerprint... Unfortunately it slowly becomes worse and worse, but the fact is usually nobody questions why smartphone i paid for asks me for fingerprint??
The only way to stay safe is to not have phone and stay offline all the time, but unfortunately i am addicted to web;/

130 (edited by throgh 2020-05-31 11:09:19)

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

I know what you mean, especially when trying to find information there is the "internet". But this concept was once a real good idea, only a shadow of this today. So I think we should try taking back some part of it, with decentralization and building own parts with free, libre soft- and hardware. Yes, this take long time and is a fight against windmills. But you learn even more throughout this when looking into the different projects. And yes, many of them have their own freedom or security flaws. With free software we are able to make own forks, for example Mediagoblin without NodeJS as heckyel did - I'm onto this next for building a little selfhosted media-website.

And perhaps people are motivated when we tell them about our experiences? smile
We all are not powerless when trying to do something. Facebook or YouTube are of course not the plain and ground-reasoning evil, but they are also not fitting into a world where freedom and personal security are important, because they exist just from the data taking from people - same with Android as I hope the first mobile devices with GNU/Linux are up to become more fitting into usecases this year (meaning the Pinephone especially even when it is not free as in freedom for the first startup).

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

131 (edited by throgh 2020-05-31 18:56:30)

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

I think it is time to write about more political sights regarding "free, libre soft- and hardware". The first point to come: The so-called liberal view of soft- and hardware. Combined with the question: Do we have to accept proprietary software being part of our daily life? Even with this standalone question you can see the problem from within coming up.

Yes, I can accept parts being proprietary, but do I have to accept this one without further questioning and searching for alternatives? Even though I personal like Coreboot very much, there are firmware-blobs for most usecases (Link to the corresponding git-repository). Here is the answer: No, on a final point I don't have to accept that for the time being, besides I can live with a temporary solution in general. So what's about this so-called liberal view? And why is there some really disrespectful wording as "free software nazi" on the road? Well, more views to come up here: First I think the wording is not fitting, in no way. Yes, they may be some people trying to press their views about "free, libre soft- and hardware" on others, being some kind of missionary regarding that. So this makes them nothing more than "oppressive missionaries" - yeah, most to be found within the historical meaning of the word itself. But a "free software nazi"? Completely wrong besides as it is ignoring the context of what exactly nationalsocialism or fascism means and describing people on this way is nevertheless a wild and hateful mixture in general, a very disgusting one.

As I have this liberal view in mind it could be better described as another facet of the known pragmatism, the known convenience. Some quotes from that region and mindset I had in discussions in the past:

"A video-streaming service? Free? For what reasoning? There is YouTube!"

"Okay, WhatsApp is dealing with my data, but hey I've got the surrounding system most time free without Google."

"It is so complex and time-consuming to build alternatives, let's try to focus on that one's existing, even if they are not free as in freedom."

"To carry news about free, libre software back into the proprietary services is kind of important, as people being in decentralized and open systems don't be convinced at all."

I could write down so much more quotes, but the so-called liberal view stays the same: Being just pragmatic. And it is not about seeing grey shades between a black and white side of positioning. It is about the question where I as an individual person and human being can see myself. Yes, I can have wrong information and built therefore a perspective on that. But therefore reflection is needed (which is also done throughout threads and discussions like this one here, being transparent and open for everyone). That has nothing to do being liberal or in some way conservative as it is about do the complete free soft- and hardware is mixed up into being more and more without meaning. And confronting people bringing up the argument "free software nazi" is already needed as everyone has an own perspective, but it is not about being oppressed as this designation besides being disrespectful and relativizing towards cruel, inhuman ideologies completely ignores the balance of power. The balance between free, libre and proprietary software, while last one is just more common even when some parts are based on projects under a permissive, free license. As it is more common these days being more into some kind of "turning neck"-tactics, dealing with some identity instead of clear idealistic principles for all human beings, straight forward arguments and strict principles are seen as some kind of harassment, radicale or even more worse (demonstrated through the one mentioned wording "free software nazi"). When this is some kind of joke, it's a really bad one - as I have already described regarding the incorrect classification of historical events of the inhuman ideology. So I'm able to see the shades of grey, of course. And I can make exceptions. But there are borders we should not accept at all!

And just to note:

Nevertheless Libreboot is under active development. Yes there was no stable release since 2016. But what is the meaning about that when there is the search for "always new" on the other side? And what does this have to do with the personality of Leah as founder - found also in some argumentations? Exactly nothing as it is also disgusting to construct some slurs about personal problems as part of this so-called liberal view - where are the shades now? It is up to everyone to decide personal and not to make such shallow argumentation flaws. wink

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

132 (edited by throgh 2020-06-01 09:48:49)

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

Here is just one result of the liberal view: https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/5/30/17

Modifying the Linux-kernel for using syscalls for better running "modern applications from Windows", especially games. Well? All of this is besides the Linux-kernel itself the same in one thing: No free code available, all licensed proprietary and Windows itself is throughout the same. Yes, I'm also using Wine. But the concurrent way many projects take is the opposite of being believable to fight for freedom, security and privacy as they all integrate more proprietary services and aim to be most accessible for them. Exactly why? Do you really think this can help, dear project-teams? Help for what? And to the users of the (also in same parts proprietary) Linux-kernel: What do you think to change when trying to become more and more even to Windows? Is it just to get away from data-mining and otherwise being not able to do without newest games, trying to jump afterwards newest trends in soft- and hardware? From my point of view this is ruining free, libre soft- and hardware. There is nothing left afterwards as more examples are available: How about the telemetry within games using the Unity-engine and framework (Link)? All for our good? But hey, this is good for doing some cheap and fast port towards Linux (without GNU), isn't it? I'd like to recommend everyone here reading this to search for the used engine / framework of some so-called native game for Linux before you buy it. If Unity is used you can just forget about it as many indie-titles are using this framework. Yes, some of them look very good, but nevertheless they are proprietary licensed and not executed in a sandbox, meaning they collect data while you "play".

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

133 (edited by throgh 2020-06-07 16:13:31)

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

We should talk about inequality and the systematics behind: The systematics behind mean exactly that there are different approaches having a "Status Quo" conserved at minimum and having just some progression without ideology. But I've already pointed out: There cannot be any difference as even the will to be neutral from ideology is an ideology!

Yes, that's a strange sentence to read for some at the first time. But let me tell you: To reject any "ideology" is in fact the way getting from values, from a humanistic approach and just do what the individuum wants to do. You know how to call this: Egoism. And from my point that's not what freedom and free, libre soft- and hardware should be about. We have to approach this as people doing this engagement just for their own ego. Yes, they can do that. But when a project-team recognize this those people should not be left being some "heroes" for them and should also reflect about meroticratic views within their projects itself, where individuals and groups forming around them can do whatever they want to do. Power is able to show the real face of people, of individuals, of us human beings and this can get ugly very fast. And that's one facette of inequality, next up rising and being all-time there are even more relevant as disgusting within the same time: Racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia. They are all transported throughout power, marginalize others and being part of harassment, therefore also part of meritocratic systems and followed up within free software-communities and projects. Acknowledge about those mechanism, those systematic surpression because hatred can never be any solution. Making one statement here because black lives matter - all time, no difference to be made and in respect for human beings. You find this a little bit too far? Ask yourself: Living in peace and in freedom is the highest value for every human, so should there be any difference? No, there shouldn't but in fact it does for now. Everyone can do something about it as we do our own here of course, as many engaged people doing this. Solidarity and empathy are absolutely relevant and the base for actions. Try it out, be against the called mechanisms for inequality and confront yourself, reflect yourself for being believable as from inequality in rights there is coming more really bad and we can learn that from history of mankind as people are dying when ignorance and arrogance is common sense.

So technology, information and software same with hardware are never neutral, never free from ideologies. Let's give them a meaning to this, a meaning with humanism, for dignity and respect towards humans surpressed. And if you as individual, dear reader, see "no problems at all", think again and think about another mechanism: Being privileged as this is more of the same to change nothing and nothing in general, conserving the "Status Quo" (full with hatred and prejudices, ignorance and arrogance in common) at best or even making it more worse than ever. Instead sharing privileges, sharing power and reflect your own. Raise your voice for people living in dignity and same rights. And when discussions make no more sense - trust me you will see that as we all can do with a little reflection: Use your privleges to give others a voice, standing up for and with them, saying clearly No, here is the line and you won't get any closer!. We can have a shield, with clear principles and hope. And solidariy can be protection, coming up for action and standing up in peace with strict principles as there is no further crossing and place for hatred in any form.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

134 (edited by throgh 2020-06-08 19:43:00)

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

You know about the power of words? Words can do much, create peace or the opposite, enrage or being diplomatic. There is so much about "words", about phrases, we need to be in learning for our time being here on earth. About the "power" of words as they can include or exclude, just with one simple sentence. The meaning about that is in absolute and static relation towards the phrase being believable. And it is not simple to do a reflection starting with yourself, it is an on-going process to question yourself and the mechanisms about exclusion of others. This is no one-sided switch turning something ON or OFF to solve a problem. Just a meritocratic process itself is not away where even Debian declares itself on that way using this wording, this phrase here. Quote to follow:

The Debian Project is not controlled by a board of investors, or a board of directors or a benevolent dictator, or a private owner. It is a meritocracy with yearly elected leader, and meritocratic key functional positions.

Just a simple phrase and we've got it again, without further questioning: Do more, get more!
Sounds nice and fair in the first place? I can assure you: No this is not "nice and fair". What about harassment towards others for example, about empower yourself standing above them because you are "in the higher position"? Those mechanics literally fail when the persons behind a role-model and position do literally questionable things, for example about ethics in general and exclude others just for their sexual orientation, their religion, their way to express and write. These are examples, but you see the problem: Being believable is and will stay a long road up ahead, a long walk for us all and everyone on an individual level. It's about so many perspectives, we as global society just have to do it everyday again and again: Starting with self-reflection and going onto criticism. Just because "you" don't see any kind of inequality in general doesn't make this disappearing: It is showing your priveleges as you can be not part of being defined as "not equal". Use this privilege to give others a voice and yes, it maybe harsh when others exclude you because of criticism. But that's just more of the demonstration as "we" humans don't want to hear about our own flaws and failures. Don't be frightened and know this: Solidarity is helping, don't be calm about the problems you see. And getting back to Debian: There are different approaches for the scribbled problem to be solved and I don't mean only one like a "Code of Conduct".

We can change, learn, listen, observe and be different. If we want that, we can be ready for doing that everyday again. Debian maybe doing a solid distribution for now, but that doesn't make everything else untouchable or unquestionable as words define and create part of our reality, our daily common understanding and the relationships between another. Don't let harsh, hateful wordings getting into that or empower yourself using those false mechanisms as they are the first failure of many to follow on that part of the road and I can guarantee: This will be a social and technological dead end to come, for sure. Inclusion for people to protect empathy and democratic understanding, real democratic understanding giving others a voice where yours maybe louder for now and this has to be changed. People, who don't want democratic values and just see themselves, are not part of that. But that's not only up to me, it's up to everyone to protect before hatred comes into our global community. A society with hate cannot last! Perhaps a short question for an entry: Do you believe in simplified pictures of "good and evil", declaring others as "your enemy"? Try to research for that as there is no "evil masterplan" to be found in general. Yes, there is "bad" to be done, but most the time this happens throughout egoism, ignorance and arrogance. You want to get your "evil deeds", search within history, search for the autocrats, the ones believing in "law and order". We can see that again and again, on small daily base, on the wide and global also! Questioning your privileges and before pointing now in my direction as I want to proclaim some propaganda: No that's not true. Of course I follow some ideology as everyone else. But mine is just the utopian imagery of a peaceful planet earth. Yeah, I know this is an utopian view. But dreaming means fighting for me and so I write my words down. Perhaps you read it and begin with questioning, looking behind mechanics of society and try to stand up against that? Yours to decide. And society itself is just neutral, a good value at all as we as humans need company in one form or another. But where is the end of my personal freedom? Do I have the right to insult others, getting against their freedom and even the highest value, their dignity as humans? No, there is the end and narratives doing that as final goal as mechanic, so getting freedom of minorities away, are that problem itself. We cannot tolerate intolerance and hatred. There is no need speaking about "evil companies", because we can just stay away from their services and platforms. Where is the problem building places on our own, with other thoughts in common, meaning making no money out of it and doing that for free knowledge, for a free culture? For being believable! wink

Ah and using simplified pictures for criticism is the base root we have to work on. Look at my signature: There is criticism about capitalism in it. But that's just simplified as there no further room. Got it? I am into capitalism as every other being here, so it is up to me being criticized at first place, no so-called "evil company". Yes I can reject using proprietary services based on enough arguments, but same with the wording "surveillance capitalism": Simple word with some dark sides named "structural antisemitism" when used comletely wrong. The reasoning for that? The responsibility is outsourced towards some named or unnamed "evil", some big names in general. We all are part of that "surveillance capitalism" and therefore my decisiions are not better or far more worse than yours. In fact all decisions together can make here the difference, the final definition for the moment and so words can define our reality. Stay sharp in criticism and don't get on sideways!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

135

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

You know about very risky way some so-called "free projects" take these days? The way into the "Cloud"? Being defined as software as a service is nothing more as definitely renting some "software" for a defined amount of time, nothing more and nothing less. So why exactly do free projects choose first a proprietary hosting service for their codebase and after that enhance their code for supporting providers like Amazon? Well, it's about the so-called userbase. But there is not further usecase for "Cloud-computing". Remember: There is no cloud, just the computer-systems of other people!

Another opposite of being believable and the reasoning why NOT EVERY so-called "open-source" project is in fact the exact helping hand.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

136

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

cynicfm wrote:

Youtube is a virus and it is sad fact...
Lost of people are so addicted to it that they will attack you and offend you if you say you simply don't go on it and when you ask them to stop sending you youtube links... But even if you do tell that to somebody 5 times: i don't watch youtube please don't send me links, they gonna send you links anyways and treat sending youtube links and watching videos like it is part of conversation between people... Haha if you go on lots of forums this is how usually conversation looks like is posting youtube videos and commenting them, this is such a low standard
It is so out of order mate... You don't allow yourself to visit youtube?? How can you not go on youtube, you weirdo???
Oh what's so great about watching ads and consume so much data?? What if i am on limited mobile data plan??? What i hate ads?? What if i have huge music collection and good equipment and i think listening to music on platforms that regularly will play you ads if you don't pay for rental of listening to music you don't own, simply sucks!!!!???? Is it so hard to understand??? So you say i am mental weirdo cuz i don't want to go on youtube?? But you think it's ok to use this platform because billion other people do too, right????? :-(

This is true, but alas, this is also why it would be helpful for invidio.us or other invidio instances to continue to exist.

Hyperbola:

The Stable Secure Libre Arch!

137

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

throgh wrote:

I think it is time to write about more political sights regarding "free, libre soft- and hardware". The first point to come: The so-called liberal view of soft- and hardware. Combined with the question: Do we have to accept proprietary software being part of our daily life? Even with this standalone question you can see the problem from within coming up.

Yes, I can accept parts being proprietary, but do I have to accept this one without further questioning and searching for alternatives? Even though I personal like Coreboot very much, there are firmware-blobs for most usecases (Link to the corresponding git-repository). Here is the answer: No, on a final point I don't have to accept that for the time being, besides I can live with a temporary solution in general. So what's about this so-called liberal view? And why is there some really disrespectful wording as "free software nazi" on the road? Well, more views to come up here: First I think the wording is not fitting, in no way. Yes, they may be some people trying to press their views about "free, libre soft- and hardware" on others, being some kind of missionary regarding that. So this makes them nothing more than "oppressive missionaries" - yeah, most to be found within the historical meaning of the word itself. But a "free software nazi"? Completely wrong besides as it is ignoring the context of what exactly nationalsocialism or fascism means and describing people on this way is nevertheless a wild and hateful mixture in general, a very disgusting one.

As I have this liberal view in mind it could be better described as another facet of the known pragmatism, the known convenience. Some quotes from that region and mindset I had in discussions in the past:

"A video-streaming service? Free? For what reasoning? There is YouTube!"

"Okay, WhatsApp is dealing with my data, but hey I've got the surrounding system most time free without Google."

"It is so complex and time-consuming to build alternatives, let's try to focus on that one's existing, even if they are not free as in freedom."

"To carry news about free, libre software back into the proprietary services is kind of important, as people being in decentralized and open systems don't be convinced at all."

I could write down so much more quotes, but the so-called liberal view stays the same: Being just pragmatic. And it is not about seeing grey shades between a black and white side of positioning. It is about the question where I as an individual person and human being can see myself. Yes, I can have wrong information and built therefore a perspective on that. But therefore reflection is needed (which is also done throughout threads and discussions like this one here, being transparent and open for everyone). That has nothing to do being liberal or in some way conservative as it is about do the complete free soft- and hardware is mixed up into being more and more without meaning. And confronting people bringing up the argument "free software nazi" is already needed as everyone has an own perspective, but it is not about being oppressed as this designation besides being disrespectful and relativizing towards cruel, inhuman ideologies completely ignores the balance of power. The balance between free, libre and proprietary software, while last one is just more common even when some parts are based on projects under a permissive, free license. As it is more common these days being more into some kind of "turning neck"-tactics, dealing with some identity instead of clear idealistic principles for all human beings, straight forward arguments and strict principles are seen as some kind of harassment, radicale or even more worse (demonstrated through the one mentioned wording "free software nazi"). When this is some kind of joke, it's a really bad one - as I have already described regarding the incorrect classification of historical events of the inhuman ideology. So I'm able to see the shades of grey, of course. And I can make exceptions. But there are borders we should not accept at all!

And just to note:

Nevertheless Libreboot is under active development. Yes there was no stable release since 2016. But what is the meaning about that when there is the search for "always new" on the other side? And what does this have to do with the personality of Leah as founder - found also in some argumentations? Exactly nothing as it is also disgusting to construct some slurs about personal problems as part of this so-called liberal view - where are the shades now? It is up to everyone to decide personal and not to make such shallow argumentation flaws. wink

Coreboot and Libreboot are both still better than the standard backdoored bios.  So there's that. smile

Hyperbola:

The Stable Secure Libre Arch!

138

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

zapper wrote:

Coreboot and Libreboot are both still better than the standard backdoored bios.  So there's that. smile

Thanks for the feedback, zapper! smile And yes.

Just making a point as I read about views regarding unfree hardware running free software being some kind of "good" compromise as there "would be always proprietary firmware-blobs within computing". That sounded like the "Deal with it!"-argument we had in the past. Therefore I'm unsure why exactly it should be acceptable having proprietary firmware-blobs. Even sort to try building coreboot without as much firmware-blobs as even possible.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

139 (edited by zapper 2020-06-22 03:19:46)

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

throgh wrote:
zapper wrote:

Coreboot and Libreboot are both still better than the standard backdoored bios.  So there's that. smile

Thanks for the feedback, zapper! smile And yes.

Just making a point as I read about views regarding unfree hardware running free software being some kind of "good" compromise as there "would be always proprietary firmware-blobs within computing". That sounded like the "Deal with it!"-argument we had in the past. Therefore I'm unsure why exactly it should be acceptable having proprietary firmware-blobs. Even sort to try building coreboot without as much firmware-blobs as even possible.

Also, I wonder if  libreboot has any backdoors that arent known about, if not, can coreboot be built the same way?

Just a thought.

regardless, it is way better than the non-free bios.  I just hope that something better comes out. MNT Reform looks somewhat better, but I am not sure yet,, and then there is this balthazar.space website + the below:

https://github.com/balthazar-space/balthazar

If a laptop is formed from this, and yes I do agree they should ditch github or in my opinion, at least use it as a non-mirror. But yeah, its a possibility for my interest.

Hyperbola:

The Stable Secure Libre Arch!

140

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

From my current knowledge: Yes, you can build Coreboot the same way, but you have to work on it as those firmare-blobs are seperated downloads for the stable releases. But Libreboot is being developed further. It is just a pity for having no stable release within the last years. Maybe this will be changed?

Thanks for the link and information about the projects: I also look forward having more "free hardware"-projects. But there is also the other side as we are talking about "hardware" being ready for all people and not only for the ones with the fitting budget. I see therefore only refurbished systems in the making as most fitting for the time being, meaning the next amount of years. There should be also more activity into Libreboot for researching more systems like Leah announced the ThinkPad X220 being perhaps possible. That would be great!

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

141 (edited by throgh 2020-06-22 16:50:57)

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

And so it goes on: Not enough problems for free, libre software and corresponding projects. It is also about being finally reduced being some kind of irrelevant as the authoritarian administration of current US-president Donald Trump is up to replace people within the organization Open Technology Fund (OTF). This is a political movement and there are possibilities for a complete change back towards proprietary technologies instead getting even more freedom. Read more about that here. There it is: Freedom of speech? Maybe, but not for everyone and of course, only for payments. This is not any kind of dystopian future, it is here and now. This is how pragmatism is just taking away the free, libre soft- and hardware has reached until now: Because people don't care enough and when they get a possible reaction it is just too late. Yeah, capitalism risks everything just for maximizing the profit and outcome of money. Projects like NoScript or Tor are at risk. And to speak about trust for them: That's another story. Having only proprietary toolsets with proprietary licensing is a complete step backwards. Democracy is something to fight for, every day again.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

142 (edited by throgh 2020-06-23 00:53:59)

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

To be honest: We are at risk to loose everything the global society has literally fought for within the last ten, twenty or even more than thirty years. We can see worldwide authoritarian politicians - including individuals, groups and parties - planning for another big backlash. Meaning: Getting far away from freedom, tolerance and respect, to abolish societies without hatred and creating a climate full with disrespect and danger. You say something wrong? Well, you have to endure restrictions when it goes good. And just don't trust all those talking about personal "freedom of speech". The trick behind all this? They don't mean equal rights for everyone, just the "Status Quo" for their own good. There is no difference between all those called "alt-right" or something else as they have comparable goals and objectives: Forming society backwards and making people not fitting into their scheme suffering.

Just to quote it:

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices!

Democracy is of highest value, but we have to fight for it. And "freedom of speech" doesn't mean being free of any criticism. Think again, don't just trust me or my words here. Just look after all those incidents we are aware of for now: The brutality and the hatred towards people being marginalized. That's the beginning and everyone know where this road can end, within darkest actions and unspeakable, cruel deeds. In other times I'd write about being in balance, but there is nothing like it for now when the world is in flames, because of us humans. And the flames tell us about suffering, being harassed, being hated and excluded from everything, being hunted and treated as some objects. Think of that and share your privileges to others, I can only mention this again and again. Begging everyone to look behind "law and order", question it and think about alternatives before the ride on this dark road goes on. Please just stop because nobody can stop either people looking forward to lynch justice or the police-state in creation. In the end we have only tears for the victims! sad
And it is disgusting how authoritarian politicians play, argument and point on people or groups fighting for a better tomorrow. It is like having everything on fire and instead getting the bucket full with water they use oil making it even more worse, just to see the world burning and people suffering more. roll Yes, being believable is also about all of this. What's the alternative? Making ourself free from any kind of "ideology" or "identity"? Sorry, but that's exactly the invitation for mentioned restrictions and the described form of police-state. The right to ask questions, to criticize and as history tells us it is the first right being removed and deleted - for the so-called greater good, of course, and just temporary, for a little amount of time, of course. Hearing for sensitive times like these ones for now? Listening to facts and numbers of scientists? Ah, not so "cool". Better to be "free of everything" ... and risk everything, of course (again). Solidarity? Empathy? Seems those ears are just not open, as it seems own privileges are better than sharing them and having others being protected. Too complex? No, but the pragmatism, personal and self-centred egoism is more important for many.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

143 (edited by throgh 2020-06-23 23:46:53)

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

And remember: Just to repeat the phrase "being believable" just doesn't revert lies or make you and me the opposite about liars. Instead this is the illusion and the trick itself: Don't thinking to criticize just a "system", question your own position and your decisions. Reflect yourself as it just to easy speaking about a "system", some failure within structures. Within this thread you can find many examples where others have failed until now. But what's your story about it? And what's mine? The internal message is that this is all about us and our will to change. But not with some "free software" itself only, not with being free from ideology and not with the big revolution to come. Get a book with history out and read it: Most time to change one "system" resulted into other cruel deeds, unspeakable suffering combined with the so-called hope for a better tomorrow, literally war.

The first reflection: We are all liars in some ways. But to see that, we can change this and just not call for revenge or to attack some "system", which is not to repair. Free soft- and hardware, free culture itself results from respect, from empathy for each other, with understanding and without hatred, one of the extreme feelings we humans can have and it is the destructive one. To remember that we don't need differences or classes to seperate, that we have the same rights and privileges to share. That is free culture for being believable, without any boundaries! As said always again: Perhaps utopian, but a dream we all can try to work on, every day again. wink

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

144

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

Free culture means therefore also free, open information. Let's have a look onto this part: Do we have "free information"? We have applications and free encyclopedia in some ways. But to be honest? Wikipedia for example has its own problems with edited, wrong or questionable content delivered, only with the main objective not to tell the complete story or take some influence. This is not done by Wikipedia itself and coming up from humans and organizations with some plan back in mind. The problem are we: Some of us don't want to discuss, don't want to have criticism listed and any authoritarian regime is fast with tracking and censoring. There are so many wrong information or even worse told only in questionable ways and pieces used for a different agenda against humanism.

Next coming up: Free information? Not in times of capitalism.
You want to flash your notebook or mainboard with Libreboot? Of course you can do this, on the website there are many good first starting points and information about it. But how to do it for real? It is one thing to talk about it, describe it, but another thing to do it for real. And to ask people there is no guarantee getting any answer. The best one I have got in a negative way? Well:

I cannot write about this as this is part of my trade secret! And I cannot name components for a computer as you could copy this and make your own business out of this.

Yeah, you read it. Free information for a free culture? Of course in theory, but there is much to do: People think of course from their own point of view. But this is giving much more insight, because they would do this on their own. So using not only information, trying just to create more out of it for their own benefit. And therefore trust is not given or even existent, free information are not fully available, because of "business". But this is needed for being believable as it is not some "systematic". Just the known arrogance, ignorance and egoism.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

145

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

Being believable for free culture means also using really free, inclusive programming languages with permissive, libre licensing. So what about Jitsi and others using Java? Well? The reasoning for removing Java and the OpenJDK is documented here regarding Hyperbola. So where is exactly the "freedom"? Yes, projects are fixed onto a language, that's absolutely okay. But neither Java nor Mono or Rust are in fact in some ways "okay": They all have problems regarding licensing in the first place. But it seems most distributions don't give much about principles: Better having in some way "free packages" and it is not really important if those have further problems later on. Sorry, but that's contrary towards being believable and being active into "free culture". sad

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

146

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

My favourite mmorpg that i seem to be addicted to is written in Java.
I can play it on hyperbola using java7 or 8.
So complete java removal damn, i don't know how i am gonna deal with that

147

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

Removal of Java because it has really big problems with licensing, not permissive and freedom issues therefore. But you can also use Java without installation. Just as local folder with binaries later on. That's the personal decision for usage! smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

148 (edited by throgh 2020-07-07 21:25:12)

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

Do we need to literally stop at some point with digitalizing "content"? Or do we need to conserve multiple ways to get in contact with movies, radioplays, music and books? I think the second question is the one we need for further discussion. You think I'm wrong? Well, just look on the upcoming streaming-services. Look at content being pulled back only available for paying customers. And some of them are just way more than entertainment: They give us questions, they are art and criticism, critical for modern societies itself when taking just the "wrong" road.

Yes, this is also more complex but it is onto the viewers for own resulting answers. That's nothing done so simple defined as "entertainment". And there comes the first question. Yes, we need to stop thinking that there is only one possible way. The world is colourful, so our ways should be the same for being believable. Look at all those dystopian images, there is more to learn out of them as they show us what could go possibly wrong and our way is full with wrong or failed decisions. That's part of being human, of course. But we shouldn't think ignorant only about one possible way, being disrespectful when others don't want to use some "cloud". We should stop and hear them out, their reasoning is to learn from. Because remember: There is no cloud, just other people's computer!

Treat it with wisdom instead of ignorance and arrogance, respect instead of pragmatism and conserve the knowledge. What can go wrong? Well, everything, even the knowledge how to build a database or how to start some service itself can be lost. But hey you can "search" (no, I don't use other wordings for this) for that? You can, but how long with centralized and proprietary services without control from society?

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

149

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

Time for another renewal to mention that software freedom, that issues with privacy and security is in the hands of the users. No organization or any other individual is in some kind of "lead". And it is not only one licensing, it is about strict principles for being believable, starting to have a freedom to choose and not to take anything given as base. You want to modify the installed system? Well, go on and do it. Make it yours for usage, modify it and talk about this. Don't let others do it for you, don't wait for others and share your ideas!

Just to rely on organizations like the FSF or the FSFE won't help at all and it will change nothing in the end, because the orientation is not onto the users, not on the individual. It's on the masses and what they could want.  But that's a dead end.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

150

Re: Sharing information: About being believable!

Being believable means being strict into and with principles: Meaning therefore doing no further compromise about proprietary software or semi-free code / projects. It's up to us as users to decide either to use something or not, to modify therefore the system fitting into our needs. But hey: Doing it like Fedora, coming up with the idea to integrate DXVK by default (source)? Bad idea, because this is not even the upstream version of Wine. We can see most of major distributions going more and more the way of very foul compromises in general. And that's the reasoning why this is the opposite of freedom, privacy and security.

It is even more work for the freedom-based distributions and projects, to remove the integration of proprietary services and interfaces.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!