1 (edited by throgh 2020-08-01 07:27:08)

Topic: Hyperbola Artwork

Looking into the git-repository of HyperBK (https://libregit.org/Hyperbola/hyperbk) shows the really nice character and logotype. I like the flat one without lights and shadows a little bit more:

Basic Hyper Bola-character
Hyper Bola-character with lights and shadows

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

2 (edited by i.ortega 2020-08-01 08:31:55)

Re: Hyperbola Artwork

Personally, I think in this case it fits more the one with lights and shadows as the logotype also has those features. If you just use the character by itself, maybe, the flat one could be better. What I did was just change the HTML and tried the flat one and it feels strange to me.

Edit: I just thought about it. GNU is not included on the system?

Well as far as noted GPL is into this, but this is a good question for the team itself. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

What I'm sure about is that, if we start saying "is in fact GNU slash BSD, and as I have lately started calling it, GNU plus BSD", for sure, BSD guys are going to get reaaaaaaally mad. Well, I don't know, I'm just guessing.

I know what you mean, but in fact this would be just the description of the infrastructure, applications and userland-toolsets and the kernel itself as "HyperbolaBSD" is using GPL as base. Yeah, BSD want to be different and I know the reasoning about GPL vs. BSD-licensing. But it is also about community vs. individual freedom. I don't see the individual freedom being taken away when there is the ruleset giving back own modifications. Do what you want with it ... sounds nice to protect the personal freedom, but personal freedom should be always being in relation of the freedom for everyone else. My freedom has just very strict endings and I don't put myself above others.

Interesting so far that you brought this up, i.ortega. Thanks, this is a very interesting discussion-point we should talk about as I have also to admit: Perhaps I see this too harsh and somebody else has some insights for us? smile

I didn't mean to talk about software freedoms, although I completely agree with you. But if you want my opinion, I think developers who want to license their software under a permissive license, just want their software to be as popular as possible, making it available for either free as in freedom or proprietary projects, thus, from my perspective, doing a pact with the devil in order to gain popularity at the cost of freedoms for many of the users of the permissive licensed software, which, in fact, accomplishes devil's long-term goals. Allowing a small amount of developers distributing their software freely, and I mean freely as BSD guys like to call it, permissively, although also enables FLOSS communities to make use of those products, feeds a terrible monster that has poisoned our whole society to the point of almost no return by transforming the effort put into a project meant to be free into less effort vampiric companies must put allowing them to focus more on morally and ethically intolerable practices that would only benefit them, (and maybe the developers of the original FLOSS project who might even have been tempted to accept the license they chose in order to gain a higher position or probability in their search for money and profitable companies, in fact, the clear decadence of the human being), and put innocent users under a restrictive reality, in the end, making the value of the harm made by that wrong decision of licensing be potentially much higher than the value obtained from allowing FLOSS communities distribute, copy and improve the code respecting everybody's ethical and moral rights, as stated by the 4 freedoms. I do think that for some cases, permissive licenses are fine, for example, I tend to license my scripts under permissive licenses as I just care zero about what happens to those 10-50 lines code programs and as happens with scripts, everyone wants to modify them to fit their needs and I definitely don't want to ask them the code back because what they did to the code mostly only benefits them but not me. And it think, for what I read on the gnu or fsf site, permissive licensing must be a good idea for the case of libraries.

I didn't want to talk about this, I don't know why you brought up the topic. When I was citing RMS I didn't mean to hurt you. I respect a lot Richard and his principles, but I used that sentence as great part of the Linux (and other operating systems) community uses it, as a meme originated from an old man yelling at them for not respecting the work he made 40 years ago, AS that is how BSD and many Linux users see what RMS says, and that's why I said BSD guys will be mad for that, as that, what I just explained, is what they first think when they hear that sentence.

This is the Artwork room, I guess it was my bad at the first place to mention anything not related to this specific topic.

7 (edited by throgh 2020-08-02 00:38:56)

Oh no problem: I was not hurt in any way and I  appreciate bringing that kind of topic here as it is always part of the discussion and also behind the questioning why "GNU" is not there "Bola" and "GNU" were already part at "Parabola". I hope the same to you as I don't want to open a discussion / talk here you feel not comfortable about as this is never my intention.

I brought the concurrent topic here because I found the artwork right away astonishing and cool done, modified also with "Hyper" for "Hyper Bola". smile And I'm curious about the different perspectives of the community here, so this was the question original asked and we had another talk about important points. For this I'm thankful as it corresponds also my perspective. If there is more to discuss and talk about regarding "free as in freedom" and permissive licensing I think we should choose another place as you noted that this thread here would be going off-topic right away. Big thanks from my side for your thoughts on that. smile

That's one part for me giving something back to the community as there are different sources showing what kind of work is done in the background and my guess is that there is so much more as HyperbolaBSD could become really great - perhaps also with GNU? So much to read, to learn and modify.