1 (edited by felicien 2017-09-16 14:33:07)

Topic: [Solved] How to contribute using git repositories ?

Hi everybody,

I created my forum account just today, so it is my first post big_smile

I would like to create some artwork for Hyperbola, such as 'start-here' icons and cool wallpapers based on our logo.
When it is done, how do I pull it into culture/wallpapers.git and culture/artworks.git ?
BTW I don't think they already exist, I can't clone them with git.
When created, those repos should be world-writable, for everybody to share their artwork, don't you think ?

=-= Solved =-=
Best Answer (8)

Re: [Solved] How to contribute using git repositories ?

felicien wrote:

Hi everybody,

I created my forum account just today, so it is my first post big_smile

I would like to create some artwork for Hyperbola, such as 'start-here' icons and cool wallpapers based on our logo.
When it is done, how do I pull it into culture/wallpapers.git and culture/artworks.git ?
BTW I don't think they already exist, I can't clone them with git.
When created, those repos should be world-writable, for everybody to share their artwork, don't you think ?

We have plans to add mediagoblin support for it soon; we let you know when it is ready from the main page smile

Emulatorman wrote:

We have plans to add mediagoblin support for it soon; we let you know when it is ready from the main page smile

Support for git is very important. This primary question on this post is not explanned.

pekman wrote:
Emulatorman wrote:

Support for git is very important. This primary question on this post is not explanned.

It's right, I would prefer to use git, and I think a lot of people would prefer too...

Here is an example of artwork I would like to put into this repository wink
https://framapic.org/ZgFWhT1O4g97/DjE4JUXzmtjF.png

felicien wrote:

It's right, I would prefer to use git, and I think a lot of people would prefer too...

The Hyperbola advocates decentralization in development. So you can submit your commits to our organization in NotaBug, all repos of this organization will be synchronized with the official hypergit repository.

git clone https://notabug.org/hyperbola/culture-wallpapers

Do your work and submit the commits. I look forward to enjoying your talent.

Welcome to Hyperbola and thank you for collaborating with the community.

Hyperbola in NotaBug

pekman wrote:
felicien wrote:

The Hyperbola advocates decentralization in development. So you can submit your commits to our organization in NotaBug, all repos of this organization will be synchronized with the official hypergit repository.

git clone https://notabug.org/hyperbola/culture-wallpapers

Do your work and submit the commits. I look forward to enjoying your talent.

Welcome to Hyperbola and thank you for collaborating with the community.

Hyperbola in NotaBug

For now, artwork support still under development by coadde, we have plans to use mediagoblin for it, also svn for binaries as alternative option since coadde let me know that git is not good for that, however there is an exception in git for artwork which are culture/wallpapers.git and culture/artworks.git for svg files, but i think coadde should explain about it better than me because he is artist tongue

pekman wrote:

I still don't understand why we can't access git.hyperbola.info/culture/{artwork.git,wallpapers.git} directly and publicly.
I don't want to register another account on another git hosting service...

I've created culture git sources (like: "artworks.git", "books.git", "logotypes.git", "multimedia.git", "video-games_artworks.git" and "wallpapers.git") for text files only (not binaries) like: SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics), PBM/PGM/PPM (Portable BitMap/GrayMap/PixMap Formats), XBM/XPM (X BitMap/PixMap), ASCII/ANSII art, palettes files, text documents, XML (Extensible Markup Language), musical scores and others text file formats.
Otherwise, I will put GNU MediaGoblin and SVN sources for binary files such as PNG, Blend, WebP, MKV, OGG, etc.

coadde wrote:

I've created culture git sources (like: "artworks.git", "books.git", "logotypes.git", "multimedia.git", "video-games_artworks.git" and "wallpapers.git") for text files only (not binaries) like: SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics), PBM/PGM/PPM (Portable BitMap/GrayMap/PixMap Formats), XBM/XPM (X BitMap/PixMap), ASCII/ANSII art, palettes files, text documents, XML (Extensible Markup Language), musical scores and others text file formats.
Otherwise, I will put GNU MediaGoblin and SVN sources for binary files such as PNG, Blend, WebP, MKV, OGG, etc.

Ok. @coadde very good explanation, thanks for it.

Effectively, this is an explicit answer.
I will wait for SVN / mediagoblin to push my XCF / PNG files wink

By the way, I found it strange that @pekman put the GPL3 file at the root of the culture-wallpaper repository.
Wouldn't it be better to let contributors choose their own license ? Furthermore, I am not sure that the GPL is appropriated for non-software stuff hmm

https://framapic.org/ZgFWhT1O4g97/DjE4JUXzmtjF.png

I hope you don't mind, but I had to set this as my desktop background. Your artwork is exceedingly beautiful.

4freedomzpleez wrote:

Your artwork is exceedingly beautiful.

Thank you, I am glad you like it ! big_smile
BTW, I am waiting for a centralized place where to put the rest of my artwork (including full quality versions in multiple resolutions, source files, variants, etc…)

felicien wrote:

Effectively, this is an explicit answer.
I will wait for SVN / mediagoblin to push my XCF / PNG files wink

By the way, I found it strange that @pekman put the GPL3 file at the root of the culture-wallpaper repository.
Wouldn't it be better to let contributors choose their own license ? Furthermore, I am not sure that the GPL is appropriated for non-software stuff hmm

This is indeed an interesting subject. The way I see it I would also make my works under a strong copyleft license. However:

- the FSF recommends the latest version of the Free Art License (1; 2);
- the "Copyleft and the GNU General Public License: a comprehensive tutorial and guide" (3) recommends the latestes version of the CC BY-SA;
- only the GNU A/F/GPL have provisions to demand availability for source files under a format that is editable with free/libre software;
- with GNU A/F/GPL, if you redistribute the work you have to include a copy of the license in every redistribution --- there are some exceptions of course, but it's still considered good practice.

1: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/ .

2: http://artlibre.org/licence/lal/en/ .

3: https://copyleft.org/guide/ .