1 (edited by cynicfm 2021-10-24 15:58:57)

Topic: Being a college student in UK - benefits

Yo

So i have enrolled into english college... And they gave me ID card with log in credentials to google student or something like this... I have got access to college dashboard, unlimited storage at Google Drive... Access to Adobe Photoshop... Also they've created me a gmail account with @student.ac.uk insteead of @gmail.com

Is this right or not??

Re: Being a college student in UK - benefits

These folks have no idea that free software communities exist and have such features.

Marketing department of Google and Adobe have the necessary resources to reach out and give unlimited storage for free.

It's investment of Google and Adobe to ensure in future students like you would be dependent on them. Default things are extremely important as most people don't change those things. It's one of the reasons I don't like Firefox currently as it uses Google as search engine.

Right or not? I don't know. If you're extremely strict, it's wrong. If you're a bit lenient and don't care like your college people who just want convenience, it's right.

Most people don't care about freedom since they don't know how to code and wouldn't understand the difference between a binary blob and a source code compiled into a binary and would never ever read the source code if they knew it's a compiled binary. The issue I think is, it's gonna remain so forever.

Today, the forces which make the rich richer and poor poorer have their roots in computer security. Never has it been more important to work towards abolishing the power of the powerful.

Let's use hyperbola or other libre OSes and strive towards stateless hardware (Rutkowska 2015). Let's use PinePhone and shun Android and iPhone which pretend to be secure.

Re: Being a college student in UK - benefits

cynicfm wrote:

Yo

So i have enrolled into english college... And they gave me ID card with log in credentials to google student or something like this... I have got access to college dashboard, unlimited storage at Google Drive... Access to Adobe Photoshop... Also they've created me a gmail account with @student.ac.uk insteead of @gmail.com

Is this right or not??

Right about what situation exactly? It is up to everyone: Decide about being onto soft- and hardware-freedom, doing something in between or being pragmatic. So it is up to you for a decision: Using GIMP instead of Photoshop even besides having access to some kind of package. Using the gmail-account for some purpose and use another for your private communication. You can decide, but for sure there are consequences for being dependent onto.

You decide on your own: Adobe or Autodesk for example uses those college-licensing to get people onto using their software and only that. When leaving college many people had so much experiences with AutoCAD that this was back then a defined "standard". Not because there was generic process open, just because of some company decided to giving licenses but with thoughts. Those consequences to be thought of as NO company on the blue planet will ever grant access to their so-called "software-products" just because they think you need education or even some kind of emancipation. You SHOULD LEARN the way to manage software only throughout their way. Besides being the complete opposite of any kind of "technical emancipation" that's just the known paradigm of ignorance, not any kind of "evil" or something like that. But yes: Per definition this won't end up in user-freedom to modify or learn. It's just that: USE, nothing more and nothing less. And when time comes: Please update immediately, but also give something back with money on exchange.

You won't have unlimited storage at Google Drive also, there is somebody paying for that: Either with money or with data, even both is possible. In the end it is not about somebody here thinks you are doing right or wrong, it is more about generic decision: Who do you want to give the power to decide? wink You don't need to ask here if some of your decision is "correct" or "wrong". Better way to look at what is the outcome and if you can get emancipation being highlighted or not. For sure the answer would be then: No. But as I've said: That's about your own as you decide and your decision will have an influence for others and you.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!