Topic: Is Hyperbola Server Ready? [2021]

This is not at all a post about whether or not Hyperbola has enough packages for it to be ran on a server.
Hyperbola can definitely meet at least my own packaging needs.

Instead, I wanted to ask if the developers or community had any concerns for running Hyperbola on a production server environment?

Re: Is Hyperbola Server Ready? [2021]

Depends on more points: You think 0.4 is stable enough for your own needs? Well, then givt it a tryout. Also for what kind of server? E-Mail? Webserver? Generic speaking for e-mail we are working on more packages. And for virtualization I'd recommend to use 0.3.1 for now as 0.4 is not yet at that point. I run 0.3 / 0.3.1 for years now on little server-systems (https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=143).

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

@throgh Mostly it would run a moderately basic webserver, it appears Hyperbola has all the packages and support I would need so I'll definitely look into giving it a try.

I just saw that as of now we are on release 0.3 and wasn't certain how bleeding edge that was considered, specifically in regards to any security or long term support issues. I now see the release page lists the life-span of each release: https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … n:releases

Unless there appears to be any other issues I should consider, I'll definitely give Hyperbola a try.
- Thanks

4 (edited by myrcy 2021-11-17 01:20:42)

> You think 0.4 is stable enough for your own needs?

I was actually unaware, 0.4 existed. Doesn't Hyperbola only have 0.31 right now?

All of my stuff runs on a virtual private server, so although I do not have to worry about virtualization I do need it to be able to be ran in a VM.

**Edit**: Sorry, I now realize you are talking about White Hole. Thanks for pointing me in that direction, I'm not certain how I feel about running the testing branch on my servers yet but its definitely something I might look into on my personal PC.

Thank you for your help

You can use 0.3.1 without further problems or issues: I'm doing that for a package-mirror with local ftp-server, an own minetest-server and more. 0.4 is the testing-branch, therefore my question what to choose as 0.3.1 will for sure become old-stable and some major adjustments have to be done for sure then.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

myrcy wrote:

I'm not certain how I feel about running the testing branch on my servers yet but its definitely something I might look into on my personal PC.

If your packages are available, I recommend you go ahead with Hyperbola v0.4 . It's really great. In my view, it's better than others wrt security due to reliance on great packaging practices, debian patching and versions and reduction on kernel's problematic frameworks.

Don't have doubts because it's in 'testing' phase. Hyperbola's 'testing' is atleast competent if not better wrt security than other's stable releases.