Topic: There's probably a bug with Gnome multi-monitor display

Hello, everyone! I got a bug with gnome display.

I'm now running the latest version of gnome (in the repo), and combined my three monitors together.

Displays:
    14' Monitor with 1280x800 resolution and right rotation
    20" Primary Monitor with 1600x900 resolution
    19" Monitor with 1440x900 resolution

Combination:
https://bin.disroot.org/?b830ab36d7a147 … ZphvGtyngG

Problems:
    Sometimes, I can't find my cursor because it can move outside of primary monitor (Right of the 14" Monitor, Up of the 20" Monitor).

But, more importantly, if I move my cursor out of the monitor while dragging a window, it will crash.

Evidence:
[ 1177.266935] gnome-shell[3345]: segfault at 18 ip 00007f26d5b53140 sp 00007ffe73e55bb0 error 4 in libmutter-0.so.0.0.0[7f26d5aaa000+13e000]
[ 1228.849663] gnome-shell[3726]: segfault at 18 ip 00007ff75ef6a140 sp 00007ffe7b16aeb0 error 4 in libmutter-0.so.0.0.0[7ff75eec1000+13e000]
[ 1229.641113] elogind[1258]: Removed session c5.
[ 1237.524874] elogind[1258]: New session c6 of user goodspeed.

If I try it once, the gnome will restart. If I try to make it twice, it sends me to the login screen.

Re: There's probably a bug with Gnome multi-monitor display

Hello goodspeed, welcome to the forum. First thing to ask: Could you provide more details about your system? Especially the components you are using are of interest. What kind fo login-management do you use? The major issue is also within gnome itself as we won't provide any further support for the desktop-environment in the near future. With the upcoming release of 0.4 all major environments depending onto logind and therefore systemd will be removed, including KDE, Gnome, Xfce, Mate, LXDE and LXQt. Also included within this removal are login-managers like lightdm, gdm, slim and others as they are just only based onto the bloated Linux-only frameworks.

If you have provided more details with the link: Cannot open that because of missing webassembly-support.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

3 (edited by goodspeed 2021-11-21 03:05:07)

Thanks for your reply. I'm using gnome which directly installed from hyperbola repo.

Only installed the gnome group, without gnome-extra.

GNOME Shell 3.24.1
gdm 3.24.1-1.hyperbola11

Inside the link, it's my monitor arrangment:

+-------+
|       |
|       |-------------+-----------+
|       |             |           |
|       |             |           |
|       |-------------+-----------+
|       |
+-------+

14"         20"          19"

Btw, it did seem to be a issue come from gnome itself. So, do I need to move to another desktop environment? Something that's not KDE, Gnome, Xfce, Mate, LXDE or LXQt

Perhaps you can tryout the lighter parts: IceWM or JWM. Yes, from the first impression they look quite more simple than Gnome. But with a little rework you can have them look very good. Personally: IceWM with the combination of the trisquel-theme (https://www.box-look.org/p/1018259/). If you wish to have a closer look onto that I can help you with the steps. Using XDM as login-manager as this one is very light in usage also. And with the help of xrandr or lxrandr you can setup your monitors also. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Ice-WM looks cool. And I'd change to Ice-WM before 0.4 release. Thank you for your suggestions.