Re: The official "Hello world" thread

dikasp2 wrote:

well @throgh we searching for a truth so we can gained wisdom thats what i think

but its undeniable that our main goal is wisdom anyway so wisdomseeker might be more apporiate as you say wink

btw im sending email to you last night, did you receive it ?

i have many personal draft and would like to discuss with you, and of course in non bothering manner smile

I'm sorry but no e-mail has reached me. A proposal: We can also discuss points here in the forum if you want. I have no problem with that especially if those points go for Hyperbola and the support.
Thank you! smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

*wave* I'm not searching for "truth" but for wisdom and to share this. Sharing insights as words are important: They can give information, give empathy or can be part of hatred. Last one excluded, always for empathy and humanism approach. For values standing for a global world in peace and harmony. Well? I'm an idealist. smile

im not saying your wrong but to find wisdom you have to look for or know bits of the truth and then grow a beard and become a wiseman big_smile we stand for what we believe or accept as truth, i also go always for empathy and humanism and i would love to see a world in peace and harmony

rached wrote:

im not saying your wrong but to find wisdom you have to look for or know bits of the truth and then grow a beard and become a wiseman big_smile we stand for what we believe or accept as truth, i also go always for empathy and humanism and i would love to see a world in peace and harmony

With a smile: Was not meant as criticism. I think it is a good way to reflect the own position as often as possible: Speaking out throughout different ways and search for information, while also recognizing what we human beings are able to do either good or bad. We can do such wonderful things but we can also be unspeakable cruel to each other. Knowing that I could be this, makes the reflection important: So I have humility before what could happen and I'll try the best for seeking the humanistic approach with successive approximation as there is so much to learn. big_smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

With a smile: Was not meant as criticism.

of cource it was just to smile and share a difrent view of wisdom no one could criticize what you said there it was poetic
i truly mean it

30 (edited by dikasp2 2021-02-14 03:58:07)

telur @ parabola forum wrote:
i just found a comic i created back then from the earliest day of parabola featuring now retired parabola hacker Andre,Aditya, and Jorge.
its remembering me of those nostalgic times with parabola :') .

https://wiki.parabola.nu/Comics:Community

ahh those old days~
https://labs.parabola.nu/boards/20/topics/782

telur @ parabola forum wrote:
i just found a comic i created back then from the earliest day of parabola featuring now retired parabola hacker Andre,Aditya, and Jorge.
its remembering me of those nostalgic times with parabola :') .

https://wiki.parabola.nu/Comics:Community

ahh those old days~
https://labs.parabola.nu/boards/20/topics/782

Librecat wrote:

ok hi everyone i am also "Librecat" on IRC
your project attracted me for its higher standard for freedom and also for minimalisim I cant wait for hyperbolabsd and i have been using Gnu+Linux for 3 years exactly

It's me again unfortunately lost my original password and couldn't recover it i tried contacting Emulatorman via IRC but i wasn't able to get a response by the time it was midnight I also couldn't create a new account until now because the registeration is broken with firefox and brave

I can help you here: I can reset your password to a standard. At best you give me some time we both are here in the forum and the part can be cleared.

Hello there.
I am a father of two, and an automotive/management systems engineer from Greece.
I am using Gnu/linux with no programming knowledge what so ever, from 1999.
I haven't installed hyperbola in any of my hardware yet. I had a failed attempt to install 0.3.1 to a librebooted x200 a while back.
I am now using trisquel and planning (really really slowly) to install hyperbola in all my machines, after 0.4 release.
The main reason for this move is because I am starting to hate the commercial dependence of linux foundation from big tech.
I thing that hyperbola's bold and progressive approach is the best bet for an independent libre tech life.
Cheers

let them build as many prisons as they want.
Even if the siege is closing in around us.
Our mind is like a wanderer, and will always be free.

35 (edited by zapper 2022-02-02 20:54:16)

o

nparafe wrote:

Hello there.
I am a father of two, and an automotive/management systems engineer from Greece.
I am using Gnu/linux with no programming knowledge what so ever, from 1999.
I haven't installed hyperbola in any of my hardware yet. I had a failed attempt to install 0.3.1 to a librebooted x200 a while back.
I am now using trisquel and planning (really really slowly) to install hyperbola in all my machines, after 0.4 release.
The main reason for this move is because I am starting to hate the commercial dependence of linux foundation from big tech.
I thing that hyperbola's bold and progressive approach is the best bet for an independent libre tech life.
Cheers

did you try with fde + /boot encrypted

or,

Or with FDE - encrypted /boot

Curious... btw, I changed a small part of the encrypted wiki guide recently and this might be what was needed to fix the issue, for you.
go to this guide:  https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … stallation
And scroll down here:

Setting up the kernel modules

To be more clear, before I edited it, I added my part to the guide, aka, when I didn't know that you needed to remove the quotes before adding the i915 on the uncommented modules line...

I could not boot at all

You can thank Megver for showing me that was incorrect like, before 3.0 came out or something to that effect. smile

And yes... it is this Megver:

https://www.hyperbola.info/members/supp … /#Megver83

wink

Btw, had to edit this a few time to be more precise, my bad...

:0

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Yes this is the guide I have followed. I remember that everything worked as expected and then I stuck somewhere and couldn't boot.

Maybe I will find some time to try the updated version, or wait for 0.4 release which I am planning to use.

About your question, I thought that this guide is about encrypted everything (including boot partition). Am I right?

37 (edited by zapper 2022-02-03 22:58:06)

nparafe wrote:

Yes this is the guide I have followed. I remember that everything worked as expected and then I stuck somewhere and couldn't boot.

Maybe I will find some time to try the updated version, or wait for 0.4 release which I am planning to use.

About your question, I thought that this guide is about encrypted everything (including boot partition). Am I right?

The libreboot one is in fact that way.

I am now sure, you couldn't boot for this exact reason. But, I recommend you use a spare computer, if you have one, just in case... wink

Yeah... I think that the whole remove the quotes before adding i915 into the uncommented modules part of mkinitcpio.conf is in fact why you couldnt install it

It was as I said, missing before in the guide for Full Disk Encryption libreboot with /boot encrypted guide...

I am even more glad now that I asked Megver68 what the problem was and went through everything I did...

wink

Not that I haven't said this before many times on forum, but yeah this is extremely critical to booting FDE  - /boot or FDE including /boot

38 (edited by nparafe 2022-02-04 18:50:18)

I have a spare librebooted x200 for test purposes and I have started the installation using 0.3.1 iso.

First of all... what is correct?
=i915
or
="i915"

I am also facing some more difficulties:

A) In the Configure the network section is there something I need to do to setup my wireless? I have already configured the wifi network earlier, using the Establish an internet connection.

B) I am also totally lost in the Generate grub.cfg section:

B1) The part

Edit configuration in /etc/default/grub, remembering to use UUID when pointing to mbr/gpt partition. Use blkid to get list of devices with their respective UUIDs

is totally Greek to me.... (And I am Greek smile)

B2) Skipping the B1 part and Issuing the command

# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

has the following output:

/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig : line 237: /boot/grub/grub.cfg.new: No such file or directory

I'll leave my test laptop open in the install state in case someone can provide some assistance.

39 (edited by nparafe 2022-02-05 05:01:19)

nparafe wrote:

I have a spare librebooted x200 for test purposes and I have started the installation using 0.3.1 iso.

=i915
or
="i915"

A) In the Configure the network section is there something I need to do to setup my wireless? I have already configured the wifi network earlier, using the Establish an internet connection.

B1) The part

Edit configuration in /etc/default/grub, remembering to use UUID when pointing to mbr/gpt partition. Use blkid to get list of devices with their respective UUIDs

/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig : line 237: /boot/grub/grub.cfg.new: No such file or directory

I'll leave my test laptop open in the install state in case someone can provide some assistance.

I have skipped the A and B parts, I kept {=i915} as written in tutorial and  Success!!! I have a working hyperbola install.

40 (edited by zapper 2022-02-05 06:10:48)

nparafe wrote:
nparafe wrote:

=i915
or
="i915"

B1) The part

I have skipped the A and B parts, I kept {=i915} as written in tutorial and  Success!!! I have a working hyperbola install.

I assume you did this:  =i915

As for wireless, I still don't know how to do this...

wink

if your password has any weird characters to it, that is...

Which... hmm...

xD

The part about editing grub, is kind of annoying though...

Even if you have installed Full Disk Encryption on libreboot devices with /boot encrypted and have done the process, many, many times.

If you want to know how to do the next step, you may want to save a snapshot of the guide for the old libreboot if it is still possible...

Aka, making it so you don't have to type in  this:

grub> cryptomount -a
grub> set root='lvm/matrix-rootvol'
grub> linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux-libre-lts root=/dev/matrix/rootvol cryptdevice=/dev/sda1:root
grub> initrd /boot/initramfs-linux-libre-lts.img
grub> boot

in libreboot's grub command line...

every time...

wink

Btw, I thought I had made it clear enough...

Sorry about that...

That being said, I was tired last night anyhow.

sad

meh...

ah well.

41 (edited by nparafe 2022-02-05 11:14:51)

So.... I was a little ahead of myself.
I have now 3 times installed hyberbola and all three times after installation, I can't login  yikes.
Typing root as username and then the password I set in Set the root password, I get Login Incorrect.
The password of course can't be incorrect all three times.

nparafe wrote:

So.... I was a little ahead of myself.
I have now 3 times installed hyberbola and all three times after installation, I can't login  yikes.
Typing root as username and then the password I set in Set the root password, I get Login Incorrect.
The password of course can't be incorrect all three times.

After installing hyperbola before you unmount and after installing grub, change passwords with

passwd root
passwd <your_username>

I really cannot understand. I am triple checking the installation steps in https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … stallation, I also did what sagaracharya suggested, but everytime the same... at first boot, after Booting the installation manually from GRUB

hyperbola login: root
Password: myreally_really_simple_password_I_set_during_installation
Login incorrect 

mad mad mad

44 (edited by sagaracharya 2022-02-06 05:14:26)

throgh/ rachad, can you shift above 8-9 messages to a thread in Install/Update subforum. We can continue there. Can you open a thread there, nparafe?

If you used passwd to change password, the error will most probably lie in base package installation. When you enter password, it tries to verify password and it fails which shows "Login Incorrect". Can you try installing a normal install of Hyperbola without any encryption? With unencrypted boot partition, swap and root partition? If username and password is verified there, it would be confirmed that issue lies in encrypted partition areas.

The conversation about libreboot continue in Installing on Libreboot with full disk encryption (including /boot)

I installed Hyperbola v0.4.2 so I say hello everyone.
ASUS X53S laptop, wireless card and sound running.

Hey, welcome here. Nice to have you here.
If you have questions or further problems: Don't hesitate and write them down. smile

Just a tip for those using console-tdm and this might affect other situations too:

F1-F4 are the ones that work usually. But if you do F5-F10 to login, with console-tdm, I cannot login at all.

wink

Btw, its usually wise to write your root password down, if you don't have it memorized.

Diceware password users, take note here!

Hello.

--
"AAaaaaa where is my boomlings game cards"

I think that now everything will work