Topic: Palemoon rebranded questions

I think the rebranded of Palemoon should have another name for the following reasons:

1 - avoid confusion
2 - A new product could attract more employees, since I have seen in other communities of free distributions the claim of a rebranded of Palemoon.
3 - Iceweasel-Classic sounds like a by-product of Iceweasel when it is not.

There must be some other question I did not pay attention to. However, I think these would already be good reasons to seek another identity for the rebranded Palemoon.

Re: Palemoon rebranded questions

pekman wrote:

I think the rebranded of Palemoon should have another name for the following reasons:

1 - avoid confusion
2 - A new product could attract more employees, since I have seen in other communities of free distributions the claim of a rebranded of Palemoon.
3 - Iceweasel-Classic sounds like a by-product of Iceweasel when it is not.

There must be some other question I did not pay attention to. However, I think these would already be good reasons to seek another identity for the rebranded Palemoon.

I agree Icemoon is a better idea for a name for that reason.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

So I think iceweasel-classic and iceweasel-uxp are just the names of the two software packages, the installed web browser is still called Iceweasel or IceWeasel, furthermore I think that a renaming would cause confusion.

Archetyp wrote:

So I think iceweasel-classic and iceweasel-uxp are just the names of the two software packages, the installed web browser is still called Iceweasel or IceWeasel, furthermore I think that a renaming would cause confusion.

Hmm, both good points, but it will be called Iceweasel-classic according to Emulatorman, because palemoon devs don't want any reference to their browser in the name.

So meh...

Pale Moon is an application working on a modified XUL platform code, that is a fork of Firefox with substantial divergence, especially for addons and user interface. The current version of that modified XUL platform (27.9.x) is a major refork of the core browser code to Firefox 38 ESR, which added HTTP/2, MSE/DASH, and JavaScript ES6 capabilities.

Otherwise, Iceweasel is just an application (like Pale Moon, Basilisk, Firefox, etc) that builds on top of the platform; focused to solve trademark issues and be used in all Firefox-based platforms. So i don't see the problem about use the "-classic" package name suffix for our rebranded version of Pale Moon when it's using an improved/modified version of the old XUL platform code. Basilisk is another application made by Moonchild, however it has been made to demonstrate the Unified XUL Platform (UXP) while it's under development, for that reason we're adding the "-uxp" package name suffix for our rebranding version of Basilisk.

Currently, Moonchild has plans to switch Pale Moon from their modified old XUL platform to UXP in long-term plans because a developed and maintained XUL-based platform is the only way that a XUL application (like Pale Moon) has any chance of surviving, with Mozilla abandoning this technology.

UXP won't be developed for Pale Moon's potential future use, it has been made for any future XUL application that will otherwise be dead in the water. Basically Moonchild is taking over the torch from Mozilla in developing and maintaining a platform for XUL applications of any kind.

Emulatorman wrote:

Pale Moon is an application working on a modified XUL platform code, that is a fork of Firefox with substantial divergence, especially for addons and user interface. The current version of that modified XUL platform (27.9.x) is a major refork of the core browser code to Firefox 38 ESR, which added HTTP/2, MSE/DASH, and JavaScript ES6 capabilities.

Otherwise, Iceweasel is just an application (like Pale Moon, Basilisk, Firefox, etc) that builds on top of the platform; focused to solve trademark issues and be used in all Firefox-based platforms. So i don't see the problem about use the "-classic" package name suffix for our rebranded version of Pale Moon when it's using an improved/modified version of the old XUL platform code. Basilisk is another application made by Moonchild, however it has been made to demonstrate the Unified XUL Platform (UXP) while it's under development, for that reason we're adding the "-uxp" package name suffix for our rebranding version of Basilisk.

Currently, Moonchild has plans to switch Pale Moon from their modified old XUL platform to UXP in long-term plans because a developed and maintained XUL-based platform is the only way that a XUL application (like Pale Moon) has any chance of surviving, with Mozilla abandoning this technology.

UXP won't be developed for Pale Moon's potential future use, it has been made for any future XUL application that will otherwise be dead in the water. Basically Moonchild is taking over the torch from Mozilla in developing and maintaining a platform for XUL applications of any kind.

Kind of them, very much indeed.  I wish my best to the palemoon team, as I hadn't realized how awesome they were at first.

I should thank them via email if possible, I at first was annoyed, but when I actually tried out firefox quantum, I found out it dialed back home ALOT!  and that, as long as noscript, ublockorigin, greasemonkey or violentmonkey, RAS, privacy settings are developed and decentraleyes/downthemall are good too but optional, then iceweasel uxp is a better option.

PS, Please send every new version of iceweasel-uxp to the FSF in case someone wants to use it on a different distro. smile This will be extremely good for fsf friendly distros wanting more privacy.

Emulatorman wrote:

Guys, i've paid attention that the latest version of Pale Moon was migrated to UXP platform, however it will continue in the same application version adapted for computers with limited resources.[0]

Otherwise, i found a project called Swiftweasel, a Firefox-based application built on XUL platform around 2007 and abandoned in 2010. It was optimized for several architectures using the following methods such as the Profile-Guided Optimization (PGO) and binary code optimization for computers with limited resources.

Since there are users encouraging us develop a Palemoon-based application with a different name than Iceweasel-Classic, and Swiftweasel contains non-trademarked graphics and logos and was a project focused for computers with limited resources like Pale Moon; we could port Swiftweasel to UXP platform using Palemoon application as base and rebrand it under Swiftweasel-UXP. So, i've opened a Swiftweasel-UXP development task in HyperTask to remind about it. smile

8 (edited by zapper 2018-07-16 00:03:32)

Emulatorman wrote:
Emulatorman wrote:

Guys, i've paid attention that the latest version of Pale Moon was migrated to UXP platform, however it will continue in the same application version adapted for computers with limited resources.[0]

Otherwise, i found a project called Swiftweasel, a Firefox-based application built on XUL platform around 2007 and abandoned in 2010. It was optimized for several architectures using the following methods such as the Profile-Guided Optimization (PGO) and binary code optimization for computers with limited resources.

Since there are users encouraging us develop a Palemoon-based application with a different name than Iceweasel-Classic, and Swiftweasel contains non-trademarked graphics and logos and was a project focused for computers with limited resources like Pale Moon; we could port Swiftweasel to UXP platform using Palemoon application as base and rebrand it under Swiftweasel-UXP. So, i've opened a Swiftweasel-UXP development task in HyperTask to remind about it. smile

Yes, palemoon as a base would be cool. smile but make sure its possible to keep it libre. wink

Less work probably too.

zapper wrote:

...but make sure its possible to keep it libre. wink

Yes of course, that's the way! smile