Topic: MNT Reform thoughts and other modular devices as a whole

Basically, why people stick to x86 hardware with its crappy level of freedom and security, when there are other ways to do things and better ones at that, is just peculiar to me.

Feel free to discuss as much as you would like, I will pop in when I have time to say stuff if I can find time and patience lol.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

2 (edited by auanta 2022-08-30 17:38:53)

Re: MNT Reform thoughts and other modular devices as a whole

zapper wrote:

Basically, why people stick to x86 hardware with its crappy level of freedom and security, when there are other ways to do things and better ones at that, is just peculiar to me.

Feel free to discuss as much as you would like, I will pop in when I have time to say stuff if I can find time and patience lol.

I don't know if I understand... Like, ARM and MIPS have security issues too. I was looking forward to RISC but then I read that they are shipping with even more blobs than the current stuff. Something that comes along has to bring significant enough leaps foward would be needed... Because changing to a new architecture breaks interoperability from a systems perspective. So if something can be patched in the kernel, it will be patched in the kernel - instead of moving to a new cpu architecture.

I think I enjoy ARM devices.

People don't come up with new hardware because it takes a lot of capital to produce even a modest hardware product. A change to a new architecture also means a change in supply chain, a change in companies (unless the big ones decide to invest in it), change in compatibility of associated hardware components, different installation medium, changes all the way down.

Inertia in the realm of hardware is unavoidable

Re: MNT Reform thoughts and other modular devices as a whole

auanta wrote:
zapper wrote:

I don't know if I understand... Like, ARM and MIPS have security issues too. I was looking forward to RISC but then I read that they are shipping with even more blobs than the current stuff. Something that comes along has to bring significant enough leaps foward would be needed... Because changing to a new architecture breaks interoperability from a systems perspective. So if something can be patched in the kernel, it will be patched in the kernel - instead of moving to a new cpu architecture.

I think I enjoy ARM devices.

People don't come up with new hardware because it takes a lot of capital to produce even a modest hardware product. A change to a new architecture also means a change in supply chain, a change in companies (unless the big ones decide to invest in it), change in compatibility of associated hardware components, different installation medium, changes all the way down.

Inertia in the realm of hardware is unavoidable

Yeah, I am sure you are correct.

The MNT Reform LS1028A option however can be used without blobs as long as 2D acceleration is enough for ya

xD

I have some reasons for interest in ARM:

ARM hardware usually can maintain way better battery life
MNT Reform has a pocket version for the future
x86 has terrible battery life for my uses, including 64 bit
Anything beyond ivy bridge is still very much spooky to me, till someone can shutdown as much garbage as on ivy bridge, which would probably require a massive amount of work, even more external flashing, more complicated method, etc... though it is definitely possible for the future
x86 has freedom issues on anything beyond ivy bridge for the stuff that would actually have massive battery life savings
Security issues in x86, also... no explanation needed there. xD

Btw, would only be using that pocket version for non internet stuff in all likelyhood.

Focuswriter, audio, music, maybe videos and of course, lightweight games from emulation possible games like doom or doom2, etc...

Which btw, it could handle and also it would be excellent at.

Btw, this device will not have a wifi card in it by default, the pocket version.

The regular has an option of ath9k though.

you get the drift anyhow...

so don't give me the cold shoulder...

xD

Though if you do anything on the level of desmume or sooner, it might start to have some issues if people are reckless...

tongue

Anywho, have a good one and peace!

Thanks for responding though regardless.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!