1 (edited by draculino1 2022-11-12 05:29:57)

Topic: I create bootable usb stick with my hyperbola instalation [edited]

what I do?

My main computer has old bios boot. But I read in any pureos web page that in now times is good idea use GPT partitions system too in old bios computers and not old MSDOS partition systems.

1- I have first partition unformated (80Mb) with tag bios-grub (sda1).
2- sda2 is / of hyperbola
3- And I use sda3 for save my backups files.

When in internal hdd instalation, get and configure packages, with window manager and my programs, users and passwords... All functional system (about 5Gb used for /).

From trisquel live booted:
-First I reduce to minimal used space / partition of my hyperbola with gparted.
-Second: create partition table GPT in usb memory stick.
-In third step I copy with gparted sda1 (bios-grub) and sda2 (hyperbola /) from internal hdd to usb memory stick

I do first boot from usb stick widh SuperGrub in other usb stick  (In my case)...

I reconfigure /boot/grub/grub.cfg in now hyperbola usb stick and I install xenocara-video-intel for video compatibility with my other computers.

----EDITON1-BEGIN----

I belive than I do other change: /etc/fstab

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
#UUID=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX LABEL=ospart
# <file system>    <dir>    <type>    <options>    <dump>    <pass>
/dev/sdX2               /             ext4          rw,relatime    0 1

To:

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
#UUID=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX LABEL=ospart
# <file system>    <dir>    <type>    <options>    <dump>    <pass>
UUID=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX LABEL=ospart               /             ext4          rw,relatime    0 1

----EDITON1-END----

And this run well in old bios mbr type computers.

But, if boot I from "new efi" and "old bios" computers with same usb stick... I think can use instalation hyperbola v0.4.1 iso, adding img of partition / or copiing file to file in squashfs or the way used in hyperbola iso.

----EDITON2-BEGIN----

In the past, I create debian live than has option to load all system into ram, I don't remenber well, but I belive I went installing squashfs-tools and growisofs and any more packages in computer that I make live iso that has boot to ram option in live boot menu, I belive this boot to ram entry contain in kernel line of bootloader configuration file "to-ram", "-to-ram" or "--to-ram" option.

With hyperbola "pacman -Ss iso" I found "hyperiso", you belive this maybe can help me?

Any suggestions will be welcome...

----EDITON2-END----

Freedom!  ;-)  from -8 to +8

Re: I create bootable usb stick with my hyperbola instalation [edited]

draculino1 wrote:

what I do?

My main computer has old bios boot. But I read in any pureos web page that in now times is good idea use GPT partitions system too in old bios computers and not old MSDOS partition systems.

1- I have first partition unformated (80Mb) with tag bios-grub (sda1).
2- sda2 is / of hyperbola
3- And I use sda3 for save my backups files.

When in internal hdd instalation, get and configure packages, with window manager and my programs, users and passwords... All functional system (about 5Gb used for /).

From trisquel live booted:
-First I reduce to minimal used space / partition of my hyperbola with gparted.
-Second: create partition table GPT in usb memory stick.
-In third step I copy with gparted sda1 (bios-grub) and sda2 (hyperbola /) from internal hdd to usb memory stick

I do first boot from usb stick widh SuperGrub in other usb stick  (In my case)...

I reconfigure /boot/grub/grub.cfg in now hyperbola usb stick and I install xenocara-video-intel for video compatibility with my other computers.

And this run well in old bios mbr type computers.

But, if boot I from "new efi" and "old bios" computers with same usb stick... I think can use instalation hyperbola v0.4.1 iso, adding img of partition / or copiing file to file in squashfs or the way used in hyperbola iso.

Um yeah, don't...

UEFI is a security minefield, you should avoid it at all costs...  some interesting crap happens beneath your OS with that bios...
But if you have no choice, do so.

Just keep in mind, a lot of shady stuff happens beneath your OS then... like... a hell of a lot more.

Especially if you are using an HDD and not an SSD.

I cannot imagine how much slower it must be... given all the added crap within it.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

zapper wrote:

Um yeah, don't...

UEFI is a security minefield, you should avoid it at all costs...  some interesting crap happens beneath your OS with that bios...

Just keep in mind, a lot of shady stuff happens beneath your OS then... like... a hell of a lot more.

I cannot imagine how much slower it must be... given all the added crap within it.

oh, we do crossing missages in time.

USB stick is slow, but acceptable I think.

If I create lightweith / to live, and boot to ram, this slowly Isn't like problem.

I edited first post, please read ----EDITION2----

I have an idea...

If I install supergrub2 with dd comand in a usb stick, and after, on free space of usb stick I copy / partition of hyperbola instalation with gparted or dd, in this case I thing get same results under two softwares (with supergrub2 isn't needed uuid from partition for boot in any computers (mbr or uefi).

I am wrong?

5 (edited by zapper 2022-11-14 00:26:24)

draculino1 wrote:
zapper wrote:

Um yeah, don't...

oh, we do crossing missages in time.

USB stick is slow, but acceptable I think.

If I create lightweith / to live, and boot to ram, this slowly Isn't like problem.

I edited first post, please read ----EDITION2----

Oh, i hadn't realized, you used it for other computers, besides ones that can use legacy bios...

Hmm...

I will bump this once more for you, but just as a thought, you could write LEGACY  on your usb with a sharpie in a color you will see easily if needed and on the one for uefi, you could write UEFI. That being said, I don't doubt that might even be annoying and also, you need to know how to make UEFI usb persistent drives anyways, right?

I never have used UEFI for installing linux on, because I was around when legacy was still an option and uefi, was very new.

As an aside, *THANK GOD*

UEFI is as I said, a security minefield...

Anywho, someone else on the forum should  be able to help you.

If you still don't know how, there is this individual....

Andyprough

He is also on devuan forums and Trisquel froums too I think...

He might know how to help you...

I have no clue, because I have never needed UEFI... and I hope I  never have the stock bios as my only option, meaning proprietary like UEFI... or worse...  you can be sure, I will fight that as long as I can...

wink

Btw a quick edit:

@andyprough,  I am not kidding when I say, I have never used UEFI, before for linux installations.

So... if you know anything, let me know. Because I have zero clue...

tongue

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

thank you @zapper,

I use default bios in all my machines. sad
Replace default bios to libreboot, requieres libreboot compatibility hardware.
Is true that bios is a software base, downest layer, upper layers can be freesoftware and make things (controled by user, we) but if bios base (downest boot layer) is not free... who know realy make your computer.

You helped me, Is not good idea execute peristent usb stick in all computers, but read only usb filesystem / lightweight to ram, I think don't I know, I not sure, when bad bios boot usb os, by default bios uses god mode, and can replacing the freesoftware binary bits on usb stick without user know, I thing in paranoia mode I must execute checksum for check integrity squash fs is not modified for bad bios.

/                       \
 /X/                       \X\
|XX\         _____         /XX|
|XXX\     _/       \_     /XXX|___________
 \XXXXXXX             XXXXXXX/            \\\
   \XXXX    /     \    XXXXX/                \\\
        |   0     0   |                         \
         |           |                           \
          \         /                            |______//
           \       /                             |
            | O_O | \                            |
             \ _ /   \________________           |
                        | |  | |      \         /
                        / |  / |       \______/
                        \ |  \ |        \ |  \ |
                      __| |__| |      __| |__| |
                      |___||___|      |___||___|

pxe boot can be possibility, no persistent, read olny, and in pxe clients use stick for save they data