1 (edited by auanta 2023-02-28 22:16:17)

Topic: Phoronix: Mesa 23.1 Gets Basic LoongArch Support

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Mesa-23.1-Basic-LoongArch

Loongson engineers have spent much time over the past two years or so on providing upstream/mainline support for LoongArch across the Linux kernel, the GNU and LLVM toolchains, and various other high profile components. LoongArch is the Chinese MIPS64-derived, RISC-V-inspired CPU architecture being used for the newest Loongson processors that previously had a long history of being open-source friendly and based on MIPS64.

This is from the same lineage that produced the Leemote Yeelong, the first 100% Respects Your Freedom computer! Will be interesting to see if this goes far, maybe BSD support some time? Something to watch out for smile

Re: Phoronix: Mesa 23.1 Gets Basic LoongArch Support

Sure for a watch, but as long as we don't support that special CPU-architecture this brings no further progress towards Hyperbola. To repeat again: Hyperbola and HyperbolaBSD will ONLY support x86 from the beginning!

When there is the wish for more architectures being implemented and ported further support and financial donation is needed. Without that we cannot go further and won't do that also.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

I don't know if causal discussion on libre topics is permitted on the forums but my thread was opened for casual discussion only, about some news that my friend shared with me.

I was not making any requests for new hardware support.

No, don't get me wrong here: It is absolutely fine doing and discussing. The major issue is just that this can lead to a missunderstanding. Not between you and me, just people thinking Hyperbola is about wonders doing. So my intention was and is to get this a bit down, leaving the discussion as it is nevertheless. Perhaps this is misleading? Sure thing, it is. But just to point on the experiences we have collected, I'm a bit cautious and better leave the hint before people are opening again threads what Hyperbola should "definite support on hardware in the near future". smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

No, don't get me wrong here: It is absolutely fine doing and discussing. The major issue is just that this can lead to a missunderstanding. Not between you and me, just people thinking Hyperbola is about wonders doing. So my intention was and is to get this a bit down, leaving the discussion as it is nevertheless. Perhaps this is misleading? Sure thing, it is. But just to point on the experiences we have collected, I'm a bit cautious and better leave the hint before people are opening again threads what Hyperbola should "definite support on hardware in the near future". smile

I have a suggestion on this subject, if not now, when x86 has a stable release built if nothing else.

Think putting out a number for how much that would cost per month to start such a thing would be beyond wise.

Just a thought, perhaps not now, unless  you are sure its a good idea, but when 1.0 is out, for sure it should happen, if not the beta being completed at the minimum.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!