Topic: Debian GNU/kFreeBSD port is dead

Debian GNU/kFreeBSD is dead "due to the lack of interest and volunteers".
https://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/

Even though I may or may not agree with their philosophy, it's sad to see a free software project die like this.

Being said: stay strong Hyperbola!!

Re: Debian GNU/kFreeBSD port is dead

Oh that's really sad to read. More to add: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2 … 00176.html
Yes, a project should not end like this. But we need to face also the point: Free, libre software is not in a good shape as too many people follow only "open-source"-argumentations. hmm

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

3 (edited by zapper 2023-09-07 03:44:22)

throgh wrote:

Oh that's really sad to read. More to add: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2 … 00176.html
Yes, a project should not end like this. But we need to face also the point: Free, libre software is not in a good shape as too many people follow only "open-source"-argumentations. hmm

More specifically,  bloatware argumentations.

Some "libre software" is bloated after all.

That being said, libre to me means freely licensed and usable without blobs like non-free or contrib like debian used to have.

The main difference between open source and libre to me is, open source doesn't have a focus on freedom and is generally used for both proprietary and libre reasons.

And it has support from some corporations more than libre.

I think we can both agree though that if open source is a problem, proprietary software is a hellishly bad thing.

Definitely would be amusing and good to see projects like the one mentioned in title happen more or less based on HyperbolaBSD, whenever it comes out.

Aka, DevuanBSD would be amusing and good. People could scratch each other's backs this way! big_smile

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

zapper wrote:

(...)

I think we can both agree though that if open source is a problem, proprietary software is a hellishly bad thing.

(...)

Personal stating: I see there not that much difference between non-free software and somewhat "open-source". So it is a personal decision what is used. On another level regarding the operating-system basics, that is a different thing. When we talk about software executed by the users, it stays their personal decision. Same way it is the decision of projects like Hyperbola to be strict for free, libre culture and community-driven efforts only.

It stays foremost critical when information is not communicated that open and need to be researched until being clear free, libre licensed and possible for audit, or the opposite. The critical point is most time this: Bunch of buzzwords and empty promises behind. But all of this is also off-topic here, so another discussion for sure. smile

We should also stop to characterize the existence of non-free software as "evil" as the mechanics behind is the problem and therefore the missing empowerment of people, even the power being taken away. So this is more of a generic point for society to think of - and if people want to endure this point as their own process for decisions is more and more reduced for their own "good". It all comes down to ignorance, not "evil". The last is the result and outcome when all thought-processing is stopped. And that was original idea of my posting: Free, libre software is living from people being part of, testing ideas and write documentations. For helping hands of community, not for awaiting the next release only because this brings again back the need of even more processes and therefore the false imagery in the heads for developers and users while those roles are not that static and within the spheres of free, libre culture described as fluid movement.

Every developer is also the user of the own system as alike every user can be also the developer of the own system. With empowerment people can also demand more in the direction of having free movement of software being before non-free, alike through reimplementation and reengineering for example. But the ground base thought is and stays technical emancipation.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!