1

Topic: Incoming

Found you this morning and watching with great interest, especially regarding the move to OpenRC. Thanks for being in the world.

2

Re: Incoming

Welcome @kernelKurtz, thanks for the interest.

=-= Viva a Hyperbola ! Um chute na bunda do Systemd! =-=

3

Re: Incoming

kernelKurtz wrote:

Found you this morning and watching with great interest, especially regarding the move to OpenRC. Thanks for being in the world.

Welcome @kernelKurtz!!!

4

Re: Incoming

pekman wrote:

Welcome @kernelKurtz, thanks for the interest.

This also interests me quite a bit, but I do wish the forum math questions weren't so...


well annoying...

Hyperbola:

The Stable Secure Libre Arch!

5 (edited by zapper 2017-10-25 00:53:42)

Re: Incoming

Emulatorman wrote:
kernelKurtz wrote:

Found you this morning and watching with great interest, especially regarding the move to OpenRC. Thanks for being in the world.

Welcome @kernelKurtz!!!

Questions come to mind though, will there be a release type besides milky way and white hole?

I ultimately am wondering how stable white hole is compared to the testing version of devuan or debian or in general really.

Also, I wondered something... is it possible to incorporate kernels from this website: https://jxself.org/linux-libre/

they are completely libre the only thing I don't know is if you can import them given they are meant for .deb based operating systems.

I would love to see this operating system become more secure then both parabola and any debian based or arch based os.

I hope you guys will support the eoma68 libre laptop when it comes out. smile

Hyperbola:

The Stable Secure Libre Arch!

6

Re: Incoming

zapper wrote:

Also, I wondered something... is it possible to incorporate kernels from this website: https://jxself.org/linux-libre/

What's so extraordinary about these kernels?

Are Kernels offered by Hyperbola GNU/Linux-Libre not secure?

=-= Viva a Hyperbola ! Um chute na bunda do Systemd! =-=

7 (edited by zapper 2017-10-25 00:54:34)

Re: Incoming

pekman wrote:
zapper wrote:

Also, I wondered something... is it possible to incorporate kernels from this website: https://jxself.org/linux-libre/

What's so extraordinary about these kernels?

Are Kernels offered by Hyperbola GNU/Linux-Libre not secure?

Two things:  one is that they are updated very frequently for x86 and x86_64 which you support, and two I talked to him and convinced him to work on a hardened version although this second thing is shaky at the moment.

We'll just see what happens on the second one. wink

edit: I posted this twice but it needs to be at the bottom post so feel free to change the above...


I hope you guys will support the eoma68 libre laptop when it comes out. smile

Hyperbola:

The Stable Secure Libre Arch!

8

Re: Incoming

@zapper very Interesting.

The Hyperbola is designed to be hardened by default. Our kernel is also hardened.

I'll take a look at the work being done. Thank you for sharing your opinion and your interest in Hyperbola.

=-= Viva a Hyperbola ! Um chute na bunda do Systemd! =-=

9

Re: Incoming

pekman wrote:

@zapper very Interesting.

The Hyperbola is designed to be hardened by default. Our kernel is also hardened.

I'll take a look at the work being done. Thank you for sharing your opinion and your interest in Hyperbola.

I only found out recently, what you just said.

I am curious if anyone is developing an alternative to grsecurity for when 4.9 is terminated.

Hyperbola:

The Stable Secure Libre Arch!

10 (edited by ΙΧΘΥΣ 2018-12-31 22:01:46)

Re: Incoming

I also share Zapper's curiosity.

After trying to reinstall Hyperbola recently, I discovered that the ancient hardened kernel "linux-libre-lts-unofficial-grsec-knock" was not available anymore.

Is there any other way for hardening the kerner as before?

I noticed that there is still a related package in the repositories: "grsec-common". If I install that package, would that improve the security of my kernel?

By the way, congratulations for the recently announced FSF recognition of Hyperbola.

11

Re: Incoming

ΙΧΘΥΣ wrote:

I also share Zapper's curiosity.

After trying to reinstal Hyperbola recently, I discovered that the ancient hardened kernel "linux-libre-lts-unofficial-grsec-knock" was not available anymore.

The unofficial forward ports of the last publicly available grsecurity patch (maintained by minipli) [0] has been abandoned, for that reason we removed it from our repositories to follow our amendment of Anti-abandonware from our packaging guidelines.

ΙΧΘΥΣ wrote:

Is there any other way for hardening the kerner as before?

For now, there isn't a project so cool like grsec to solve it.

ΙΧΘΥΣ wrote:

I noticed that there is still a related package in the repositories: "grsec-common". If I install that package, would that improve the security of my kernel?

Thank for let us know, i'm going to remove it from our repositories because is only useful with grsecurity.

ΙΧΘΥΣ wrote:

By the way, congratulations for the recently announced FSF recognition of Hyperbola.

You're welcome! smile

12 (edited by ΙΧΘΥΣ 2019-01-02 21:38:58)

Re: Incoming

Thanks for the detailed info, mate. Now everything is clear.

Hopping that it soon appears some other real alternative for hardening the kernel.

Let me wish all the best for you and for the rest of the Hyperbola project  in this new year 2019  wink