1 (edited by jim 2024-01-21 18:06:42)

Topic: How to install and use TOR in Hyperbola?

How to install and use TOR in Hyperbola?

Hi all . Please tell me how to install and configure TOR  in Hyperbola so that I can view onion addresses. I see in the repositories there are packages tor , nyx, privoxy.
I didn’t find an article about setting up on the wiki.

Re: How to install and use TOR in Hyperbola?

jim wrote:

Hi all . Please tell me how to install and configure TOR  in Hyperbola so that I can view onion addresses. I see in the repositories there are packages tor , nyx, privoxy.

I do not know if it will be easy to update Tor seeing Tor may be planing  to require Rust.

Maybe older versions of Tor will still be able to connect to onion addresses.

https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … _trademark

Has more information about this.

Big Picture

There are important applications integrating Rust as a first-class language. Tor is one of them, and at some point in the future, the Tor team has plans to announce a release and release date where Rust will be required. Even the Linux Kernel Team is interested in providing modules written in Rust.
As an alternative to Tor, i2pd (I2P Daemon) may be used. It is a full-featured C++ implementation of I2P client, useful for building and using the anonymous I2P network. However, i2pd isn't compatible with the Tor network and uses .i2p rather than .onion sites (also known as Tor Hidden Services).

Also many other projects are changing their approach or get a complete rewrite in Rust as first-class language, some further examples:

implementation for libsignal as libsignal-protocol-c is no longer active maintained
    neovim adding tree-sitter as mandatory dependency since v0.7.0, as tree-sitter is a full Rust-depending project
    librsvg being completely rewritten in Rust
    ClamAV is enforcing the Rust-toolchain since v0.105
    GNU coreutils getting a cross-platform implementation in Rust

The list can be enhanced for sure and clear to say that Rust is not only some sideload toolchain. As the buzzword “memory safety” is being in usage more and more projects get on this. Yes, the rewrite of GNU coreutils is not the main project. But who says exactly that this won't be the near future? As all the other points in this article were long before described, not solved and just accepted. It is a bad and foul compromise, endangering freedom of choice, user freedom for sure and also the freedom for system-distributions and operating-systems like Hyperbola.

Is a small partial quote of article about the Rust trademark found on this website.

I do not yet know how to install and configure TOR  in Hyperbola, as I'm using Trisquel now, though I may switch to Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre, or HyperbolaBSD soon.

jim wrote:

To enable tor you can follow the entry in the wiki.

In order to have acess to .onion sites you need to type about:config in iceweasel-uxp adress and then type network.dns.blockDotOnion. Set it to false.

let them build as many prisons as they want.
Even if the siege is closing in around us.
Our mind is like a wanderer, and will always be free.

privoxy has manpages included, so you can use them. Also here: https://www.privoxy.org/user-manual/
For nyx: https://nyx.torproject.org/

Closing thread as all questions answered. Thanks to all participants! smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Reopened as per wish and criticism: But leaving the note here again ...

- Hyperbola is really small system and team, so we have no time and also no interest to debate points noted endless
- Hyperbola has not the money to write a perfect "wki", so as we do from community for community we just kind ask to work together
- is there something missing in the wiki (which in unclear) okay, let's write a wiki-article
- working together is the point

What is not okay ...

- the forum is NO issue-tracker
- endless criticism towards the project and / or a discussion-style being saracastic

Please understand: We are doing this in our free-time. Most the time even beyond all also when there should be times for recovery and hobbies. Pretending that this is a "bad style" to close a thread or calling that "censorship" is beyond anything (forum is not the only place where we are and be also asked or more confronted). This is not a place to use for personal preferences but for working together. So if this thread is going again the way as others did, I will close that again. And yes: As I have noted above ... from the community for the community. Not: Some individuals being the "persons" to make all what others tell them. Working together! Asking questions and solving them is fine though. wink

So approve me for sure wrong, I have no problem with that as this would same approve that there is interest to work together and support each other. But just posting onwards questions awaiting then support and stating stances like "Hyperbola do not offer much" or "the project is too small", "is not a nice and friendly pointed" and so on ... yes, can be done as it is a free and clear opinion. But not on-going as this helps nowhere. And this also ignores the experiences we made and shared endless here in the forums: Asking for help, getting surely also, but in the end not on a base where it clears up awaitings as it seems. Taking also into account that Hyperbola is under harsh criticism from different sources. When you invest that much time in a project you are also bound into it and it is not fine to be treated like that or find harsh accusations without any base here (some people even handled past things that dramatic leaving you in the thought you have done something unspeakable just for underlining your own stance for treating each other fair). Everyone has a right to feel comfortable here, not being attacked or harsh treated. I have no interest to discuss that here furthermore. So please then: Go on with questions on Tor as preferred.

And in general: There is always room for talking, for making other decisions as this one posting is enough approval also. Under other circumstances I could have kept this closed. May I have handled correct with this? Perhaps not. But that is to approved also if I'm correct to reopened it as pointing one last time that helping for finding answers here is also my time as it is time for anyone else. Let's work together, not awaiting support alone but granting that also for each other. smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Nparafe  Thank you very much for the information!

7 (edited by jim 2024-01-22 14:07:17)

Which option would be safer from the point of view of deanonymization, to use Torbrowser => https://www.torproject.org/download/ , which is intended for these purposes, or to use iceweasel-uxp with adjustments => https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … _services?

The tor-browser is not possible to be used as it is a pre-compiled package with firefox included. Those demand D-Bus and therefore you cannot use tor-browser in any environment when you don't exclude D-Bus.

Thanks for the info. My question was about something a little different, but it’s also useful.