1 (edited by jim 2024-05-19 12:10:10)

Topic: Create A WiFi Hotspot On Hyperbola

Hi all . Please tell me how to create an access point? I looked at different options, but these options contain non-free programs.

I found this option https://github.com/lakinduakash/linux-wifi-hotspot ( BSD-2-Clause license) but I also need the hostapd or nmcli program

Re: Create A WiFi Hotspot On Hyperbola

You can nevertheless tryout to compile the corresponding PKGBUILD: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/ … fi-hotspot (ATTENTION: That is the AUR and therefore always handled with caution!)
Please have in mind that Hyperbola is surely not Arch GNU/Linux and is therefore ..

.. not offering systemd
.. using FHS defaults

So you will surely need to modify and debug the resulting package.
Furthermore nmcli is from NetworkManager, which we do not support at any support out of reasoning.

You could also create a package for hostapd and share it with the community, including service-definitions for OpenRC and runit.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Okay, I got you.

can I use these PKGBUILDs?

https://gitea.artixlinux.org/packages/h … r/PKGBUILD

or

https://git.alpinelinux.org/aports/plai … .11-stable

You cannot use scripts from Alpine Linux without adapting them further. APKGBUILD-scripts are quite near but are not all full similar to PKGBUILDs. Besides for both: You need to adapt the dependencies as Hyperbola has also differences. There is also no "subpackage" as reference keyword allowed. It is for sure your decision but generic said I would not expose any system to the risks listed.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Okay, how can I then assemble  hostapd so that I can then assemble linux-wifi-hotspot? Please tell me.
I looked at git Parabola but didn't find PKGBUILD https://www.parabola.nu/packages/extra/x86_64/hostapd/

I'm trying to find a solution..

The package hostapd is a service so you will need first a working PKGBUILD and second service-definitions for OpenRC and / or runit. Also have in mind that those are different here at Hyperbola as neither Gentoo nor Artix GNU/Linux are following any longer the FHS standard. So you will also need to adapt:

1. The PKGBUILD
2. The service-definitions

And after that assemble all together.

If you need examples for service-packages:

https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/packag … /mailgraph
https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/packag … ee/prosody

Parabola is not offering a PKGBUILD as it copies packages from Arch GNU/Linux, exactly for the majority of packages. So you will never find a package-build for the most common ones.

Thanks for the info.

What we have ))

1. No Arch GNU/Linux PKGBUILD is suitable for building ,ok

2. It is not possible to add any repository to download and install hostapd

3. Not in the Hyperbola repository

I don’t understand how to build an hostapd  program with PKGBUILD mailgraph and prosody?

What do I think about your massive removal of a huge number of programs.

Of course, safety and minimalism of the system comes first. I support this philosophy 100%!

But when you delete a large number of programs for various reasons: vulnerability, inability to support the program due to a small number of developers or finances, or some other reasons, it may be worth thinking about how the user (not you) can have a minimum list of programs for everyday use. in my example there is no radio, no program for mounting or unmounting encrypted disks, usb, now I want to get a program for distributing the Internet via WIFi, I found a good option https://github.com/lakinduakash/linux-wifi-hotspot, but there is no hostapd program, it turns out the user is walking in circles. Do you want to build a program and you don’t have one or the other program, etc.

It seems to me that a good solution would be to make something like an AUR repository for Hyperbola so that it is on the main page of the site, where the user can go and use the program he needs, which is not in the repository.

There is a common misunderstanding here: First to clear up that Hyperbola had never any package named hostapd since 0.4. So there was no package ever since 0.4 initial release and it was and is not removed. Second: The AUR sounds like a nice idea, but in fact is for free and libre culture the most bad decision ever to make. Why? Well, you can see this in uncountable packages named like PACKAGE-git or PACKAGE-bin. Hyperbola has and had those hard distribution-guidelines since its first release 0.1 and only refined them. Packages build from git are not allowed out of reasoning and binary packages to distribute is even more a bad idea.

Why do I write this? Because not everyone has the same understanding what "freedom" is. For some it is sufficient to distribute some pre-compiled binaries, others will definite reject that and so do we here also. Does the AUR-idea help? No, it does not. Because people will not look close enough for compiling packages and just copy from the AUR. Therefore using: Binary packages without source-code, use git-snapshots, get lost of the license and even go that far to distribute non-free packages as user-driven data-files, because? Because it is their understanding what is sufficient. Does this help Hyperbola? No. And we have not even quite started about people then getting so lovely packages like D-Bus back and just add them into the user-driven packages. Or not this? How about ... avahi, polkit, redis, consolekit and many more? In the end: Why not adding back desktop-environments so full with questionable links like Mate, Xfce, Gnome and KDE? Exactly all the work done is lost again.

We have already threads where it is possible to share PKGBUILDs. One concurrent example: https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=773

And ...

jim wrote:

Thanks for the info.

What we have ))

I don’t understand how to build an hostapd  program with PKGBUILD mailgraph and prosody?

Please read again: I said and written that you need to adapt the PKGBUILD as Hyperbola following its own ways.

We had this exact topic several times now: As long as nobody is not building and hosting an own repository with packages like hostapd ... NO, there won't be any package alike. But this does not mean it is "not possible". It is, but this needs engagement. And as long as nobody engages into, there is no package. Easy but clear.

Yes, because it is not important for Hyperbola and if you want to do so, please assemble a package.

Those are service-packages. And hostapd is a service also. So I repeat again the important points:

- A working PKGBUILD for building with all needed clear named dependencies
- For OpenRC: initd and perhaps if needed confd as they relate always together and needs to reside in /etc/init.d/... and /etc/conf.d/... later on (please look into the PKGBUILD also)
- An install-file for setup user and group

Again: Please look into the files presented as Hyperbola is meant as "Do it yourself"-system and offers exactly that.

I recommend:

1. First try building the service without anything. Just assembled the PKGBUILD and the dependencies.
2. Adapt for FHS, as most services reside in /usr/sbin or /sbin within the root-filesystem.
3. Install the compiled package and try running the service without any intermediate framework (OpenRC and / or runit).
4. Ask yourself what you want: Only OpenRC or Runit also? For those you need initd-file and confd-file and adapt them. Followed up examples from Artix:

https://gitea.artixlinux.org/packages/hostapd-openrc (for OpenRC)
https://gitea.artixlinux.org/packages/hostapd-runit (for Runit)

5. Adapt the files needed (initd and confd for OpenRC, run for Runit) and implement them into the PKGBUILD as further needed files.
6. Rebuild, install and test include debugging.

I have already mentioned: Please look on the details as

#!/usr/bin/openrc-run

Is not working on Hyperbola. This must be ...

#!/sbin/openrc-run

So to reconsider here for https://gitea.artixlinux.org/packages/h … tapd.initd

#!/sbin/openrc-run
# Copyright 1999-2006 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# Modified 2024 for Hyperbola Project

command="/usr/sbin/hostapd"
command_args="-B ${OPTIONS} ${CONFIGS}"
extra_started_commands="reload"
required_files="$CONFIGS"

depend() {
    need net
    after firewall
    use logger
}

reload() {
    ebegin "Reloading ${SVCNAME} configuration"
    kill -HUP $(pidof /usr/sbin/hostapd) > /dev/null 2>&1
    eend $?
}

This is surely only a quick modification done right for demonstration-purpose. But this is what to await when using Hyperbola and creating own packages. We had a plan to provide a possible ports-tree, but after that missing amount of interest from the community when asking this idea was again dropped. So there will never be something like the AUR for Hyperbola as first this needs interest to do that and not just us to provide it without the majority never using it or uploading questionable packages from the AUR itself, even without a clear good licensing (for example).

The understanding is missing (meant from the community-perspective): We cannot just transfer for example AUR-packages here without any modification. It sounds nice to "just compile them". But in fact as already mentioned: Most of them miss a clear licensing (not working for Hyperbola), only provide binaries sometimes (not allowed for Hyperbola as FSDG-oriented system) or even worse do not use a stable tarball in any way. So at minimum the packages need to be adapted and reworked to compile under Hyperbola be offered in a comparable way. If you want to build something "like the AUR" but for Hyperbola, a ports-tree (as example), feel free doing so. But again: We won't do that at any point as we have enough to do with implementation, development and packaging itself for the system-environment! To await that someone of us is managing that kind of ports-tree also? No.

And I understand for sure that users want this or that package. But if wanted: Please provide a working packaging-script for it so others can use it also and perhaps even it can be adapted for the official Hyprbola-repositories when approved for a clear maintenance. It is also possible to copy the removed packages with their PKGBUILD-scripts and adapt them later on as Hyperbola is free and libre software. So the packages and packaging-scripts are the same.

Last but not least to the whole topic about packaging: Jim, when I list every single point for doing a package demanded and asked for I would even be better doing it already and package it direct. If I do so, I can really stop contributing to Hyperbola and just wait for another demand for whatever package to follow again that "indirect command". This is NOT the way a community should work: As in all the threads before I have listed examples for understanding how packaging of services works. But when I have to explain every single detail here - and I have done this now already again - I could even start packaging hostapd. This result then into:

- another package done
- more maintenance for possible CVEs reported
- more updates and fixes to do

And the list grows. So I do not think it is too much giving the question back: If someone wants a package, please package and offer it at will. Do it yourself and we do not remove packages being used by many people. But we just remind also that Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre is the transitioning system towards HyperbolaBSD. No BSD-port available or no BSD-support meant? No distribution and packaging from our side, which does not mean this is not possible. We just do not package it for Hyperbola out of reasoning given. Those discussions here are not helpful as in the end they repeat on-going already given argumentation and reasoning. If a "Hyperbola ports-tree" is wanted? Please do so and organize it. There is no one stopping anyone here. But we have not the the time and the man-power to offer such and out of clear reasoning towards conservation of licensing and free, libre culture preservation we will not do that. In the end: Hyperbola is made by users for users, not following the generic tale of "more packages make a better system". It is a dysfunctional approach that a minority should work for the majority on demand. So it is better to go with the approach: If there is need seen for a community-supported ports- and packaging-tree, please do so. This was explained and discussed such often now and nevertheless the most used argument stays the opposite alike. Exactly that is not working same way. It is no problem to grant support and answering questions. But most the time it goes beyond this point and the explanations are more exact organized tutorials at best with all commands inline step by step wished instead of reading and understanding what offered sources contain or to install packages furthermore to test scenarios. As said: That is not working. This lead to the impression also that some people make just fun out of Hyperbola as project, looking at it out of curiosity with the hope to see the project failing. No, I do not assume this for you now, but I just note the reasoning we can read through comments from many sources (including IRC and many more).

In summary as said: Free, libre software is only working with helping hands, together and in cooperation, with altruistic motivation. The other way taken results in a dysfunctional outcome and outreach as nobody has won and reached anything: Free software is failing when people wait for someone doing, giving them an exact guide instead reading the clearly offered sources with all containing information or just making fun out of project for whatever reasoning including a weird understanding of whatever kind of motivation seeing free software ONLY as some kind of business. Closing points: For example I'm surely willing to support and also adapt community-made packages later on when approved working fine. But we need more maintaining persons, as in detail otherwise this work is pure exhaustion also for the mentioned minority of individuals therefore. It lacks foremost helping hands: In time given for working together and also in financials granted for getting more helping hands for some periods paid. Especially for creating service-packages: This is a crucial point as we had in the past maintainers just looking after the compilation without ever testing the installation and running the created services later on. For 0.4.2 this had the effect keeping therefore us doing a release to fix the bad runit-definitions done as some packages were never tested correct and needed exclusively fixing. And I have written in the start of this posting of the "lost work": With such user-driven repositories we would need again moderation and a minimum of quality-check. Who is doing this? Or who wants to do this alike understanding and following the rules: https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … t:teamwork

As said: This might work out but only when people are ready to recognize the points given.
Sure thing the community can do whatever wanted: It is all free and libre software. But it is just a nice meant question: Supporting more the point for BSD-transitioning, following up programs with minimalism and not the common misunderstanding of whatever kind of "freedom". Our goal was, is and stays: Technical emancipation! And no one is getting a favor with around 80.000 packages and more from big systems. In fact they are facing a big issue if they would need to recompile all at once or rebuild from scratch. Hyperbola with its structures has quite less to carry around. Yes, we have also some big packages here, but those are really countable. The illusion is that it is quite so easy having all available and ready for building, but in fact dependencies solving and review of packages building and running ... is a big and not easy task. Exactly therefore Hyperbola is not following that approach marked: "The more, the better!" smile

Hello . Thank you for your detailed answer, but I didn’t see the solution to my question)) A lot of information, but no answer on how to build hostapd.

If this is again on the side of one package + assembly of another package + assembly of a third package, then this option does not suit me.

If this is not possible, then please write to me the solution to my question, I need the Hotspot program

I have provided now a full packaging-script, modified to run under Hyperbola. But note: Please try to package and use the tools. You were provided now all information on how to do this multiple times in several threads.

https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic … 8042#p8042

13 (edited by jim 2024-05-25 12:31:38)

Unexpectedly)) you are a super developer))

Thank you very much, I'll try to build it.

I would do it the same way as you, but unfortunately I don’t have enough assembly skills. If I had one or two full-fledged instructions, I would test it myself and try it on other programs. In general, thank you very much again!

14 (edited by jim 2024-05-25 14:17:57)

I tried to compile and got this error
https://lufi.fiat-tux.fr/r/p3bMxGDdnG#D … pdwu4+7yI=

Oh that's a generic error when copying the data from here. No big deal:

sha512sum hostapd.initd

Then you need to add the changed hashsum here (I left the line empty):

sha512sums=('243baa82d621f859d2507d8d5beb0ebda15a75548a62451dc9bca42717dcc8607adac49b354919a41d8257d16d07ac7268203a79750db0cfb34b51f80ff1ce8f'
            'SKIP'
            'eacd2ad295ec8786dac9814218a785eba0ca88e3dcf8b6f3694cba6a8330a8d020ac137623ef35bb0e5c1248f489c79c7fe07a7129a643d5e0dc4804e47f8b17'
            'd2241b2234e5db13b9601f699a8895f9bc7306fd08f6f5ce02c204fb8258d3a9d07a8e09d9704be6e13f14cb8e1da22f0d5efb9660199377be40cd09aa906c49'
            ''
            '0882263bbd7c0b05bf51f51d66e11a23a0b8ca7da2a3b8a30166d2c5f044c0c134e6bccb1d02c9e81819ca8fb0c0fb55c7121a08fe7233ccaa73ff8ab9a238fe')

Yes, I guessed it))

Fixed sha512sum hostapd.initd

then import the public key hostapd-2.10.tar.gz

$ gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 2B6EF432EFC895FA

Everything worked, you need to install the dependency

$ doas pacman -S qrencode 

and start the service

$ doas rc-update add hostapd boot

I keep testing..

https://files.catbox.moe/92jjim.png