Topic: gaming

I'm not much of a gamer, but I was very grateful to see up to date Minetest packages in the repository. I feel that there is definitely a need for libre games like Minetest that are originally created as alternatives to popular proprietary games. Nobody questions this in other forms of culture, such as music, film, or paperback books.

I am interested in learning more about gaming culture and how to protect the gamers in my life from predatory corporations.

Re: gaming

Interesting thought and thanks for posting those here. It would be great having more libre games being accessible for everyone, especially when thinking about DRM (= Digital Rights Management) and platforms like Steam, Origin, UPlay and more getting just important these days being already defective by design building barriers used for some kind of false protection. In fact all of this is just the wrong way in my point of view: Other way around it would be interesting on how to preserve those games for the future. And not about that: It's already toxic because people being not independent from those proprietary contents.

Releasing the source code and even the content open for modifications and enhancements. Just as it was done for Warzone 2100! But this is just one single good decision under all those proprietary and closed ones we have. It's a pity!

Re: gaming

throgh wrote:

Interesting thought and thanks for posting those here. It would be great having more libre games being accessible for everyone, especially when thinking about DRM (= Digital Rights Management) and platforms like Steam, Origin, UPlay and more getting just important these days being already defective by design building barriers used for some kind of false protection. In fact all of this is just the wrong way in my point of view: Other way around it would be interesting on how to preserve those games for the future. And not about that: It's already toxic because people being not independent from those proprietary contents.

Releasing the source code and even the content open for modifications and enhancements. Just as it was done for Warzone 2100! But this is just one single good decision under all those proprietary and closed ones we have. It's a pity!

I would love it if most of this one game I played was under a free license.  I also would love it if, battle.net was liberated even if its under MIT license and people can still use a non-free server.  Having an option is better than no option.

PS, the game I mention which I wish was under a free license, is called Starcraft.

Hyperbola:

The Stable Secure Libre Arch!