1 (edited by bemc 2024-06-28 20:13:29)

Topic: EU police want access to encrypted communication

It looks like some EU lands wants an open door (real time) to private communications. Maybe mirroring policies criticized by EU from other countries in the past.
https://www.digitec.ch/en/page/eu-polic … look-33416

Somehow, this makes me think about what should be my opinion as supporter of libre-software. Looking at the GNU project: privacy is written as fundamental right. I would say that other aspects of security, like reliability, integrity and identity, are historically less relevant. So, from my point of view, this news goes into/against the core of free software ideas. However, this has not been disseminated that much, at least at the channels I use to read. Possibly because private communications now means Facebook, Whatsapp, Telegram, Signal, etc, and so 'we' are not affected. Somehow, these events make me understand better my mates of free culture, not necessarily sharing ALL, one by one, my concerns. Just that ...

Re: EU police want access to encrypted communication

Thanks for sharing and yes: The so-called "chatcontrol" is on-going major issue but from my perspective also against all people attending in communication. The problem is: Instead of understanding that we are right away in a very complex situation, with efforts of also not easy made answers, too many people (including politicians) search for even more easy answer.

We should call it as it is: Pure populism. Easy answers (chat-control) for complex situations of threats and issues. Those cannot be solved that easy with some control of chats or communication in general as politics think. And who guarantees that democratic rights or whole democracy is preserved? Democracy itself is a point we need to defend every day again but instead it seems too many people have forgotten about that and see it as "given" alike "given" that they can access online-services. We should look back to learn for the future and only if we are ready to fight for the rights we have, we can preserve a better future also and understand that we should stop on the search for even more.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!