Topic: Choice for using GNU Shepherd as init system and service manager

GNU Shepherd was initially designed to work with GNU Herd Kernel. But recent implementation of GNU Shepherd in Guix System Distribution (GuixSD) shows that it also works well with Linux-Libre Kernel. So can Hyperbola be distributed in two variants of installation images, one with OpenRC and another with GNU Shepherd?

Re: Choice for using GNU Shepherd as init system and service manager

raghavgururajan wrote:

GNU Shepherd was initially designed to work with GNU Herd Kernel. But recent implementation of GNU Shepherd in Guix System Distribution (GuixSD) shows that it also works well with Linux-Libre Kernel. So can Hyperbola be distributed in two variants of installation images, one with OpenRC and another with GNU Shepherd?

I thought GNU Shepherd was in alpha stages though. Not saying it wouldn't be good for the future/as an option, but it seems a bit too soon imo. Then again though, I don't use GUIX so you may be completely correct about it being a good idea.

I wonder what Emulatorman would say about this. Maybe good maybe not, dunno...

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

It could be nice in the future but it is lot of work. and there is much important stuff currently. (sanitize packages from systemd, fully implementing libressl, port to other Architectures, search and destroy non-free software..) Since OpenRC is free software and a fully working replacement to systemd inferno, there is no hurry smile

GNU Shepherd is a good idea as alternative choice for users, however there are other priorities first (eg. LibreSSL migration). BTW, you can see our todo lists for further details about our current development.