Topic: Migration to Milky Way v0.3

I just completed the migration to v0.3.  Everything went very well, many thanks for providing an excellent guide!

Just a couple of remarks:
- As I had a personal mbox in `/var/spool/mail`, `filesytem` refused to be upgraded.  I had to remove my mbox file to get through this step.
- Those who use `mutt` in conjunction with `postfix` have to include themselves in the `adm` group.  Otherwise. `sendmail` cannot be accessed.  I hope it is safe to do this.

Many thanks again, and long life to Hyperpola!

Robert

2 (edited by zapper 2019-09-20 16:30:36)

Re: Migration to Milky Way v0.3

ralessi wrote:

I just completed the migration to v0.3.  Everything went very well, many thanks for providing an excellent guide!

Just a couple of remarks:
- As I had a personal mbox in `/var/spool/mail`, `filesytem` refused to be upgraded.  I had to remove my mbox file to get through this step.
- Those who use `mutt` in conjunction with `postfix` have to include themselves in the `adm` group.  Otherwise. `sendmail` cannot be accessed.  I hope it is safe to do this.

Many thanks again, and long life to Hyperpola!

Robert

Your not the only one who has done this, I did too. smile

Tell me, how much faster do you think this system is? smile

I do notice it is faster for me at least. ;0

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

zapper wrote:

Interesting remark: Yes, I would say noticeably faster—20 to 30%? And yet I use awesome which is known to be fast.

4 (edited by zapper 2019-09-20 23:36:44)

ralessi wrote:
zapper wrote:

Interesting remark: Yes, I would say noticeably faster—20 to 30%? And yet I use awesome which is known to be fast.

What device are you using btw? I was using a libreboot device with Full Disk Encryption. 

I mention this, because migration was difficult at first because the 0.2 to 0.3 migration was missing help for libreboot style laptops. 

Particularly, Full Disk Encryption Libreboot systems.

Anywho, glad to hear its working mostly well for ya.  My only issue currently is iceape-uxp-noscript isn't working properly for iceape-uxp.  the addon doesn't appear at the moment.  wink

5 (edited by ralessi 2019-09-21 08:17:32)

I own an X200 with Libreboot + full disk encryption.  Regarding the migration guide, I used these intructions below the "Migration" heading, just after the warnings:

If you are using an encrypted file system, you will need to unlock it first and then mount it.

# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdX hdd

# mount /dev/mapper/hdd /mnt

If you are using LVM, you will need to mount the volume as the root partition.

# mount /dev/mapper/matrix-rootvol /mnt

If you are having trouble locating your root partition, try using:

# lsblk

This command will print a list of drives, partitions, and volume groups.

I installed iceape-uxp some time ago but without really using it since then. About iceape-uxp-noscript, you are right: I just installed it, but I can't see it.  Of course, I may have missed a step. I will look into this and report back if I can find anything useful.

6 (edited by zapper 2019-09-21 16:20:59)

ralessi wrote:

I own an X200 with Libreboot + full disk encryption.  Regarding the migration guide, I used these intructions below the "Migration" heading, just after the warnings:

If you are using an encrypted file system, you will need to unlock it first and then mount it.

# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdX hdd

# mount /dev/mapper/hdd /mnt

If you are using LVM, you will need to mount the volume as the root partition.

# mount /dev/mapper/matrix-rootvol /mnt

If you are having trouble locating your root partition, try using:

# lsblk

This command will print a list of drives, partitions, and volume groups.

I installed iceape-uxp some time ago but without really using it since then. About iceape-uxp-noscript, you are right: I just installed it, but I can't see it.  Of course, I may have missed a step. I will look into this and report back if I can find anything useful.

You have Luke to thank for the additional help, and a little bit of help from me, if I hadn't contacted Luke, you would have been better served waiting. Aka, errors galore if you had tried it before Luke modified the guide to include libreboot + FDE.

yikes

That being said,  Iceape is still an odd situation.

lsblk, ftw!

7 (edited by chaosmonk 2019-09-21 19:35:19)

Is there a chance that Hyperbola will require such an invasive manual intervention again in the future?

Do we have 7 days starting from the 23rd, or starting from the announcement on the 16th?

EDIT: Removed the unnecessary whining. I am grateful for the hard work going into this distro, and it's not fair to expect stability from beta software.

zapper wrote:

You have Luke to thank for the additional help, and a little bit of help from me, if I hadn't contacted Luke, you would have been better served waiting. Aka, errors galore if you had tried it before Luke modified the guide to include libreboot + FDE.

Right, as said, the guide was very clear: I was able to complete the migration in less than half an hour!

chaosmonk wrote:

Is there a chance that Hyperbola will require such an invasive manual intervention again in the future?

Milky Way v0.3 migration is an invasive manual intervention because of adherence to the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. Arch-based distros are using the systemd's Filesystem Hierarchy.

chaosmonk wrote:

Do we have 7 days starting from the 23rd, or starting from the announcement on the 16th?

The official Milky Way v0.3 release date is September 23rd.

Emulatorman wrote:
chaosmonk wrote:

Milky Way v0.3 migration is an invasive manual intervention because of adherence to the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. Arch-based distros are using the systemd's Filesystem Hierarchy.

chaosmonk wrote:

The official Milky Way v0.3 release date is September 23rd.

Just so others know this, FHS is more secure also.