Topic: Lenovo Thinkpad T400s upgrades

Just a few questions.

Seeing that the T400s is apparently the best laptop for a Libre distro (with Libreboot and since Richard Stallman uses it), I want to get the most out of that machine.

-Is it possible to upgrade the Thinkpad T400s's CPU? Which is the safest to upgrade to?
-Can its RAM be safely upgraded to over 8GB (preferably 16GB)?
-What batteries could I get to replace the default with and is better?
-I'm thinking of adding an extra SSD through an optical drive bay. What's the best one for the T400s?

Thanks.

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad T400s upgrades

burhen42 wrote:

Just a few questions.

Seeing that the T400s is apparently the best laptop for a Libre distro (with Libreboot and since Richard Stallman uses it), I want to get the most out of that machine.

-Is it possible to upgrade the Thinkpad T400s's CPU? Which is the safest to upgrade to?
-Can its RAM be safely upgraded to over 8GB (preferably 16GB)?
-What batteries could I get to replace the default with and is better?
-I'm thinking of adding an extra SSD through an optical drive bay. What's the best one for the T400s?

Thanks.

From what I see, in my search engine, 8GB is the unofficial max for T400s.  So yeah, I wouldn't push it.

PS, you can indeed get a 9 cell battery for the T400s.

The CPU however cannot be upgraded once you buy it without a lot of hassle I believe... unless other people have more knowledge I would assume that's the case.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

CPU changes in tinkpads are pretty easy to change, the are quad extremes that work with that hardware, but unfortunately the price of such cpus is quite ridiculous.

4 (edited by zapper 2020-10-23 18:27:01)

i3_relativism wrote:

CPU changes in tinkpads are pretty easy to change, the are quad extremes that work with that hardware, but unfortunately the price of such cpus is quite ridiculous.

Oh, well I guess you could try, but that might be dangerous...

But yeah, ask Leah if she knows a processor that can be liberated this way.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!