Topic: [proposal] Replace KDE Plasma with Trinity?

Hello together,

I wish everyone a happy new year and I hope the first hours of 2020 were okay for everybody. Coming up is more a question to the community and the developers: Wouldn't it be better to remove KDE Plasma and replace it with the Trinity Desktop Environment? The reasoning behind is that Qt is transforming more and more to just "Open-Source"-only framework. Incoming with this also the concurrent pragmatism as using proprietary components.

What I don't think of: Removin all Qt-applications at all. The same as with Gnome 3, it would be better having the plasma-desktop removed as both of the environments have a questionable future in common and the work to be done getting them free of proprietary services would be better done elsewhere.

What I think of: Intgeration of Trinity Desktop Environment as meta-package for some future release and doing before a research if there are not just also proprietary dependencies. As I had some very positive insights in the environment it would be perhaps a good alternative?

What are your thoughts about it?

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Re: [proposal] Replace KDE Plasma with Trinity?

throgh wrote:

Hello together,

I wish everyone a happy new year and I hope the first hours of 2020 were okay for everybody. Coming up is more a question to the community and the developers: Wouldn't it be better to remove KDE Plasma and replace it with the Trinity Desktop Environment? The reasoning behind is that Qt is transforming more and more to just "Open-Source"-only framework. Incoming with this also the concurrent pragmatism as using proprietary components.

What I don't think of: Removin all Qt-applications at all. The same as with Gnome 3, it would be better having the plasma-desktop removed as both of the environments have a questionable future in common and the work to be done getting them free of proprietary services would be better done elsewhere.

What I think of: Intgeration of Trinity Desktop Environment as meta-package for some future release and doing before a research if there are not just also proprietary dependencies. As I had some very positive insights in the environment it would be perhaps a good alternative?

What are your thoughts about it?

I think probably not, unless dbus can be worked out of it. hmm

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Re: [proposal] Replace KDE Plasma with Trinity?

Hmm, seems not so easy, but perhaps having a closer look onto mitigation of D-Bus.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!