1 (edited by ΙΧΘΥΣ 2020-01-04 16:32:51)

Topic: Hyperbola tools for Android (Bloatware)

Hi guys,

I hope you are having a good beginning of the new year.

I have decided to start 2020 with the ambition of removing as much bloatware as possible from my Android phone.

I want to do that without rooting the device, that is because I want to keep some software functionalities pre-installed by the manufacturer.

I have read some tutorials and I am conscious that this is an easy goal to achieve.

My question is regarding the ADB (Android Debug Bridge) and Fastboot tools. They are usually mentioned when trying to accomplish the task described above.

I have tried to find similar tools within the Hyperbola repositories but I think I have not been lucky enough.

I found the package "android-udev" but I guess that is not akin to what I look for.

Are there similar tools available at the Hyperbola repositories? If so, what are they?

Also, I am already familiar with the commands that need to be used with ADB:

./adb shell
pm uninstall -k --user 0 XX

If there were any related packages within the Hyperbola repositories: what would be the new commands necessary to remove the targeted bloatware?

Many thanks to all for your help.

Re: Hyperbola tools for Android (Bloatware)

cynicfm wrote:

Hey mate

I tried to do same thjing here on Hyperbola but it is not possible or at least not sure if it's worth the effort. because it requiries non-free java. I have got some crap xiaomi smartphone i got just so i can get connection on laptop via usb tethering big_smile.
Basically i have downloaded this tool for adb/fastboot mode:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xiao … oot-tools/

As you can see Hyperbola only supplies free java. Apparently it has some security flaws and i am not surprised with this as Java is now owned by Oracle Corporation and i am pretty sure it is closed source software... So truth is that for security/privacy better to not install it on the computer but Android is basically some linux kernel mixed with java and some other components platform...

throgh wrote:

The major problem is about Android in short: It is something Java in combination with a Linux-kernel. And as most devices just need proprietary firmware-blobs to be fully functional: It'll stay a mess, also in the future as hardware and software won't get really free and libre. There is some kind of hope for upcoming devices like the Pinephone, but as even said those devices are not ready yet for full usage in production.

You can try to build the needed toolsets as so-called portable versions, including the needed version of the JRE being executed within a your home-folder. But even though: Java is proprietary and the OpenJDK is also for its usage in combination with the name

#8 post from: https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=300

So basically what i have done is that i installed manjaro openbox edition (haha) just to be able to get rid of bloatware from android device i have... So far i managed to get rid of bloatware in ADB mode using this xiaomi tools... I have also requested bootloader unlock so i need to wait 7 days for this (3 days left)
Also you need to set this udev rule in /etc/udev/rules.d so then smartphone can detect it has been connected to the laptop in fastboot mode, somebody told me there is extra layer between root and smartphone or something like this and this udev rule is needed to be able to use fastboot (it is truth cuz without this udev rule smartphone wasnt able to detect that it is connected to laptop while in fastboot mode:
https://paste.debian.net/1124629/
just create file named 51-android.rules, copy everything from paste.debian i just sent you and then put it to /etc/udev/rules.d when you are on some distribution that perhaps has some proprietary java in repositories.
Here you have more info from arch wiki and github (sorry for github links haha)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/An … bug_Bridge
https://github.com/M0Rf30/android-udev-rules

I am going to do the same actually, next week i am going to try unlock bootloader to install some ROM without GApps, i am thinking about HavocOS. Somebody told me it's best to install just some AOSP after you unlock bootloader, but rooting device is a big no no... I think it is not really secure to use smartphone as root...
Well you can say what smartphone you have hehe...

I am not sure if we can talk about this here because it's not related to Hyperbola but Android... But i am sure i can help.

Hey buddy,

Thanks for your help.

It looks like you have a lot of information about this topic.

According to what you say, it seems that my only option will be to leave the software untouched.

I was considering to install Lineage OS but, as I said, I finally ruled that out because I did not want to root my device.

Anyway, thanks for sharing all this knowledge. I read everything carefully and even though there were things that I didn't fully understand, I think I got the general idea about what you wanted to say and I definitely I learned a lot from your post.

At the end, not being able to accomplish my target is not a great deal, because I have a Replicant phone at home. Just wanted to remove some bloatware from my other mobile, because I use that one more often and in a way it irritates me to have so much undesirable software preinstalled on it.

I probably sound repetitive, but I definitely want to thank you again for trying to help me. Your post was unquestionably very instructive. Cheers man! wink