Topic: Hyperbola Forum suggestion!

i found that our users profile have facebook twitter linkedin skype......
and most of us dont use them, if it easy to change we could delete them or just add Tox and pgp for your email

Re: Hyperbola Forum suggestion!

+1
We could instead have
GNU Social
Mastodon
Tox
Pixelfed links

btw, is there a free software alternative to LinkedIn?

sagaracharya wrote:

+1
We could instead have
GNU Social
Mastodon
Tox
Pixelfed links

btw, is there a free software alternative to LinkedIn?

i have no idea if there was an alternative to Linkedin, but i do agree with you we should replace those proprietary services with what is used by our free software community

I also like the idea of gpg. Although I don't know if it is secure to leave my public key on a website that is not mine. I'm not suggesting hyperbola.info is going to change my key to impersonate me. Just a comment.

But well, I guess that can happen with any public information on any place.

The only field I'm using on "Identity" tab is actually "Jabber". And about mastodon, it uses nodejs, so I don't know if it is correct to add it to the field list.

5 (edited by throgh 2020-12-14 20:34:44)

Interesting proposal, but I don't think those anti-social platforms like Mastodon are helpful or better interesting for the community here itself. We can communicate throughout the forums, that's enough and absolutely okay. For anything else: There would be e-mail or perhaps some kind of free messenger like XMPP / Jabber or Matrix if anyone has interests here. But especially Matrix has unwanted dependencies when installing (just to look at the package "matrix-synapse" as implementation). Mastodon is even not possible to be hosted on a system with Hyperbola installed and that's absolutely okay - no need for nodejs as black hole for security.

Better to remove the fields completely: Jabber / XMPP, Tox, Website, perhaps Jami. That's enough! smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

6 (edited by rachad 2020-12-14 22:09:42)

i guess we should agree here first before making any changes or requests to the dev
i think keeping Jabber / XMPP and adding Tox maybe another field for pgp,
Other Contact: just like what we have here on Founders
what about GNU Social and Pixelfed links i cant say anything about them cause i never used them

rached wrote:

i guess we should agree here first before making any changes or requests to the dev
i think keeping Jabber / XMPP and adding Tox maybe another field for pgp,
Other Contact: just like what we have here on Founders
what about GNU Social and Pixelfed links i cant say anything about them cause i never used them

Agreed so far, but those other platforms are especially of no further use in my point of view. They just move the attention away from the distribution, its development, the team and community behind. Better to stay in contact with real possibilities! Also there are groups within XMPP for example. big_smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

8 (edited by rachad 2020-12-14 22:25:55)

throgh wrote:

Agreed so far, but those other platforms are especially of no further use in my point of view. They just move the attention away from the distribution, its development, the team and community behind. Better to stay in contact with real possibilities! Also there are groups within XMPP for example. big_smile

i guess im gonna use xmpp after all, just a bit offtopic here what client are you using throgh smile

rached wrote:
throgh wrote:

i guess im gonna use xmpp after all, just a bit offtopic here what client are you using throgh smile

Most time with Gajim and of course encrypted. Therefore onwards to revive the prosody on my Hyperbola-system (server)! smile And you?

throgh wrote:

Most time with Gajim and of course encrypted. Therefore onwards to revive the prosody on my Hyperbola-system (server)! smile And you?

never used it before but i think i will give it a try with gajim.

rached wrote:
throgh wrote:

never used it before but i think i will give it a try with gajim.

Go for it.
I have to admit that especially XMPP was most the time a victim when I have changed the distribution. Last time I had this on "Alpine Linux" running on a small server (PC-Engines APU). I can only recommend it besides Tox! smile

so here do we agree on removing the proprietary services and adding those:

1- Website
2- Tox
3- Jami
4- Email
5- PGP Key
6- Jabber/Xmpp
7- Other Contact : this will be helpful to add IRC username or mastodon......
8- Other Links : Pixelfed links for those who wich to do so or other links

13 (edited by rachad 2020-12-17 22:42:26)

i was gonna remove mastodon and pixelfed like throgh said but its the user choice to add what he likes on Other Contact : xmpp groups could be a possiblity as well i think this way everyone have a choice smile
please add some feedback here or i will take this as an agreement to what was suggested and try to reach out for the devs to make the changes.

rached wrote:

i was gonna remove mastodon and pixelfed like throgh said but its the user choice to add what he likes on Other Contact : xmpp groups could be a possiblity as well i think this way everyone have a choice smile
please add some feedback here or i will take this as a agreement to what was suggested and try to reach out for the devs to make the changes.

Absolutely okay, as the people are free to choose the platform for communication or giving information for development. It's just the generic criticism I wanted to remember. Perhaps an issue to create for the team to look into?

15 (edited by rachad 2020-12-17 22:44:42)

throgh wrote:

Perhaps an issue to create for the team to look into?

what do you mean by an issue for the team?

rached wrote:
throgh wrote:

Of course the tracker for issues: https://issues.hyperbola.info/
Sorry had this wrong in the last posting, so this could lead to some misunderstanding.

throgh wrote:
rached wrote:
throgh wrote:

Of course the tracker for issues: https://issues.hyperbola.info/
Sorry had this wrong in the last posting, so this could lead to some misunderstanding.

https://issues.hyperbola.info/index.php … sk_id=1529 done wink

Nice one. Thanks! big_smile

Was done: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/servic … da0bf852fb
Thanks, sagaracharya and Emulatorman! smile

throgh wrote:

You're welcome. E-mail ID is not done yet because already the registered email id exists. If the user wants to show it to people, one just has to add a line to profile page. That still has to be figured out.

big_smile

sagaracharya wrote:
throgh wrote:

You're welcome. E-mail ID is not done yet because already the registered email id exists. If the user wants to show it to people, one just has to add a line to profile page. That still has to be figured out.

big_smile

great work i didn't think it was gonna be done so fast smile

@sagaracharya i think something is wrong with the new profile update the Public Key field needs to allow pgp ID otherwise how does it work?

but going here https://keys.openpgp.org and looking for pgp key using fingerprint fixes it so i guess all good right?

rached wrote:

but going here https://keys.openpgp.org and looking for pgp key using fingerprint fixes it so i guess all good right?

I didn't  know about this pool. Thank you. I uploaded my public key now.

However, I cannot add my website to my profile on hyperforums. Seems like xyz domain is not allowed yet.

rached wrote:

I didn't  know about this pool. Thank you. I uploaded my public key now.

However, I cannot add my website to my profile on hyperforums. Seems like xyz domain is not allowed yet.