1 (edited by rachad 2020-12-15 17:06:00)

Topic: issues i have with Gajim and another xmpp suggestion

Hello there,

im trying to use xmpp with gajim client so far got 3 issues i run into:

1- i couldn't use OMEMO plugin cause i get this error
Warning: You are missing Python-Axolotl or use an outdated version
2- i tryed with tor proxy and it works with the clearnet domain name but wen using it with the same domain with but tor address it doesn't connect to my acount
3- wen updating the profile i get
          vCard publication failed
There was an error while publishing your
personal information, try again later.

someone on IRC told me to use Dino but i cant find it on the package list does it have any privacy or security issues
do you think we could add it?

Re: issues i have with Gajim and another xmpp suggestion

You should tryout to compile the package python-axolotl by yourself local. After installation the issue should be vanished. Regarding Dino: You can add this to the spreadsheet. Be careful: The application cannot be added when dbus, elogind and others are needed!

The mentioned two other errors seem to have more to do with the server-communication itself. Not especially with the client, but this is just a first guess from my side.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

3 (edited by rachad 2020-12-16 20:43:57)

throgh wrote:

You should tryout to compile the package python-axolotl by yourself local. After installation the issue should be vanished. Regarding Dino: You can add this to the spreadsheet. Be careful: The application cannot be added when dbus, elogind and others are needed!

The mentioned two other errors seem to have more to do with the server-communication itself. Not especially with the client, but this is just a first guess from my side.

i also add python2-axolotl cause i found it on Optional dependencies for gajim it got fixed then using Python-Axolotl from hyperbola pkg list or this PKGBUILD, i get a new error smile

Warning: OMEMO cant import Google Protobuf, you can find help in the GitHub Wiki
this scared me a lot smile

4 (edited by rachad 2020-12-16 15:34:55)

i forgot to add i couldn't use this link cause i dont have javascript enabled on my browser,
but what doesn't use dbus i checked and i see that many applications use it iceweasel-uxp qtox and many other gtk3 cause it breaks there dependency at-spi2-core, dbus-glib, libpulse so how do you get over this?
if im not wrong i think we cant right? maybe in hyperbola 0.4 or hyperbolabsd dbus will be removed so waiting is the only option we
have smile

rached wrote:

i also add python2-axolotl cause i found it on Optional dependencies for gajim it got fixed then using Python-Axolotl from hyperbola pkg list or this PKGBUILD, i get a new error smile

Warning: OMEMO cant import Google Protobuf, you can find help in the GitHub Wiki
this scared me a lot smile

Try the following packages:

extra/protobuf
extra/protobuf-c
extra/python-protobuf
extra/python2-protobuf

The Protocoll Buffers is coming indeed from Google: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol_Buffers

I've added Dino onto the spreadsheet, but I also think that we must have the development-team when the first testing-candidates are out. So my recommendation would be: Installation of "Test"-system into a VM perhaps and trying to compile concurrent applications and packages, therefore also sharing the PKGBUILD-scripts here. What do you think? smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

Try the following packages:

extra/protobuf
extra/protobuf-c
extra/python-protobuf
extra/python2-protobuf

The Protocoll Buffers is coming indeed from Google: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol_Buffers

I've added Dino onto the spreadsheet, but I also think that we must have the development-team when the first testing-candidates are out. So my recommendation would be: Installation of "Test"-system into a VM perhaps and trying to compile concurrent applications and packages, therefore also sharing the PKGBUILD-scripts here. What do you think? smile

thx throgh its working now using "extra/protobuf" without protobuf-c.....

for the "test-system" i think it would be a great idea maybe doing so we could help the development-team fixing or pointing out bugs, maybe we start by opening up a new post just for that and others could join and help sharing the PKGBUILD-scripts maybe a default config for some apps like gajim here omemo should be add wen you first install like this we make sure a basic security and privacy settings are in place for us and new people who wanna try out hyperbola.
Take the lead im in wink