Topic: Will HyperbolaBSD use QubesOS's "Security through Isolation"?

Just a confession, I already made a similar thread today right here
https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=465

But I wonder if I placed it in the wrong forum.

So I wonder if you guys know about QubesOS.
All its apps are launched, contained in their own disposable virtual machines based on the Xen hypervisor, isolated from each other, including the main operating system.

Considering that Hyperbola is focused on security, I wonder if the upcoming
HyperbolaBSD will, somehow, incorporate the same concept of Security-through-Isolation as QubesOS.

Re: Will HyperbolaBSD use QubesOS's "Security through Isolation"?

burhen42 wrote:

Just a confession, I already made a similar thread today right here
https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=465

But I wonder if I placed it in the wrong forum.

So I wonder if you guys know about QubesOS.
All its apps are launched, contained in their own disposable virtual machines based on the Xen hypervisor, isolated from each other, including the main operating system.

Considering that Hyperbola is focused on security, I wonder if the upcoming
HyperbolaBSD will, somehow, incorporate the same concept of Security-through-Isolation as QubesOS.

I tend to think it won't even need this, due to being based on an already secure operating system.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Re: Will HyperbolaBSD use QubesOS's "Security through Isolation"?

Conceptually it would be very good, if HyperbolaBSD uses QubesOS's "Security through Isolation".
Technically I fear, that it wouldn't be as easy as it sounds. The reason:
Probably it would take more "do it yourself" instead of simple "copy cat", because QubesOS has not really the best stance on free software licenses; the whole license environment of QubesOS is so unfree, that you have to make a decision: Do you want Libreboot - the old, trustful version, before the coup project takeover by Leah Rowe - or do you want QubesOS? You can't have both due to QubesOS' restrictive license setup. Also, QubesOS is not a fully free OS.
So, for HyperbolaBSD QubesOS probably is rather like a mere inspiration than an implementation template. But I could be mistaken and in case of serious steps into that direction it certainly would make sense, to thoroughly assess the license situation of all relevant QubesOS parts for such an extension of HyperbolaBSD's architecture.