1 (edited by zapper 2021-06-11 03:23:15)

Topic: For those who want newer versions of icedove or iceweasel, update #4!

here is a link of interest:

it is simply put, iceweasel-uxp and icedove-uxp based on the current UXP toolkit from the palemoon/basilisk devs. Luke showed me how.

Enjoy!

https://upload.disroot.org/r/TWD4qzCu#F … SY1jObMuE=

I built one based on the new uxp toolkit, using Luke's stuff ofc... wink

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Re: For those who want newer versions of icedove or iceweasel, update #4!

Thanks, would be interesting to create a complete PKGBUILD for building a package for deployment. Do you have some more information on the build-process itself? smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

3 (edited by zapper 2021-03-16 03:00:07)

throgh wrote:

Thanks, would be interesting to create a complete PKGBUILD for building a package for deployment. Do you have some more information on the build-process itself? smile

Its a bit  complicated, and the devs are kind of busy, I will upload maybe at most a week after a new version comes out.  If I forget, feel free to email me.

I will do sooner, if possible though. heh...

Okay, no problem at all. Besides: It would be interesting to build Iceweasel and Icedove also for OpenBSD. Not meant towards the concrete topic, zapper. But question stays in my mind: Has anybody built the applications successfully on top of OpenBSD? I can only find the last escalation regarding Palemoon itself when searching for this. Sorry for going a little bit off-topic right now at this point, but when thinking about building I have also this in mind.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

Okay, no problem at all. Besides: It would be interesting to build Iceweasel and Icedove also for OpenBSD. Not meant towards the concrete topic, zapper. But question stays in my mind: Has anybody built the applications successfully on top of OpenBSD? I can only find the last escalation regarding Palemoon itself when searching for this. Sorry for going a little bit off-topic right now at this point, but when thinking about building I have also this in mind.

Yeah, I heard of that too, HyperbolaBSD will be different so, I don't think that will be a huge issue. 

Palemoon devs have more patience with Hyperbola then they do the BSD community...

Just my two cents.

Hope this will change also for the BSD-community one day as it is more and more complicated, regarding Mozilla in general. wink

7 (edited by zapper 2021-03-25 04:55:47)

throgh wrote:

Hope this will change also for the BSD-community one day as it is more and more complicated, regarding Mozilla in general. wink

Yeah, but I have only recently realized that there might be some issues even with  Hyperbola devs and Palemoon devs.

Although BSD devs, they really don't like. Because of that insane flame war... hmm

I wonder if its possible to get a new web browser built with new features into Hyperbola, that has better features...

I heard of BadWolf, which seems to fit what I am thinking, but it needs some more addons I think to be useful.

For me, two addons are needed, script blocker like features and adblock type features.  And that should be sufficient.

Only thing is, you cannot install new versions without the latest webkitgtk.

Also another interesting thing, I learned... webkitgtk is different from gaggle's version of webkit which is used in chromium and chrome products.

It's a long story, I recommend research if interested.  tongue

That all being said though,  I have a small amount of interest in it.

Especially after using i3-wm for so long.   

But for now, I will still use uxp stuff till I know if there is anything better in the future for 90% certainty.

zapper wrote:

Yeah, but I have only recently realized that there might be some issues even with  Hyperbola devs and Palemoon devs.

Don't know further details but I have seen that Iceweasel-UXP and Icedove-UXP are no longer listed on http://thereisonlyxul.org/. Kind of strange as they are exactly this: Applications using UXP as base.

zapper wrote:

Although BSD devs, they really don't like. Because of that insane flame war... hmm

Well, that's indeed a sad story in general, but I also don't understand the developers behind Palemoon exactly, meaning their initial reactions (the technical aspects are clear). Of course they have their position, but the discussion was very harsh from the early beginning - and I just have the issue noted on Github, nothing more. But that's also history for now: The decision was therefore against any further port for OpenBSD! sad

zapper wrote:

I heard of BadWolf, which seems to fit what I am thinking, but it needs some more addons I think to be useful.

Interesting project, but the reasoning or better the sources for reasoning are quite not the best noted on the project-site. Mozilla has done some quite strange decisions and not towards security or privacy. But they are also not "evil". Same with Palemoon itself in some cases like NoScript for example. Well, I hope this turns better for the future with more alternatives!

zapper wrote:

But for now, I will still use uxp stuff till I know if there is anything better in the future for 90% certainty.[

The same for me. Just as sidenote-story: I find it interesting as more and more websites tend to lockout people using "older browsers" from their perspective. Instead of looking of the capabilities and security-issues for a test only the useragent is used and afterwards noted that one is using just "old software". Maybe I see it just quite too simple, but better having text onto websites instead to turn them into something different like a multimedia-wannabe with security-holes just as big getting a complete galaxy could get into (yeah, I mean you, all those websites using content with videos and big, not optimized images for every part of the layout). wink

Kind of off topic and irrelevant to the discussion, but thank you so much, Zapper, and this isn't the version of Icedove-UXP I'm about to ask questions about.

I would absolutely kiss the ground you walked on if I could have my little piece of Hyperbola on my OpenBSD install too, but I'm not a coder and I don't have a clue what I'm talking about so you go be you.

This interim time between a reliable and stable Hyperbola Gnu/Linux-libre and a reliable and stable Hyperbola Gnu/BSD is just plain going to suck for some of us. I just appreciate knowing what's going on so I can maintain my blind Faith in the devs I trust. I'm only going to get in the way if I express opinions.

You know that. I'm just not used to expressing appreciation by LACK of action is all. smile

zapper wrote:

https://upload.disroot.org/r/me_nRKZb#6 … 63fyXajcw=

I uploaded this today,

it is simply put, iceweasel-uxp and icedove-uxp based on the current UXP toolkit from the palemoon/basilisk devs. Luke showed me how.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Newer link below,

https://upload.disroot.org/r/hFy625ka#h … EIMSH80IM=

thank you zapper wink
can you please upload them were we dont need to use javascript ?

rachad wrote:
zapper wrote:

I uploaded this today,

Enjoy!

thank you zapper wink

Hmm... any suggestions? I have no idea... myself where that's possible...

PS, no new uxp binaries yet, so I cannot do anything as of yet...

12 (edited by zapper 2021-05-19 23:31:58)

zapper wrote:
rachad wrote:
zapper wrote:

I uploaded this today,

Enjoy!

thank you zapper wink

Hmm... any suggestions? I have no idea... myself where that's possible...

PS, no new uxp binaries yet, so I cannot do anything as of yet...

Actually, today is the day it will be built... give me an hour at most and I will upload to disroot the new uxp stuff. Again, Iceape-uxp is not included...

I don't use it heh...

I am not sure how to build it yet anyways, haven't asked Luke. tongue

I am also not good at explaining such things anyhow... aka, building it from source. tongue

I edited it Earlier, feel free to dl it anytime within 30 days. wink

This next one, might be the final build I will do, depends if 0.4 comes out soon or not... wink