Topic: Stuck at 0.3.1 install

Hi everyone, first post here on the forum.

I followed the beginner's guide, rebooted, added a new user and password and then

pacman -S sudo results in:

error: failed retrieving file 'sudo.......      : Could not resolve host: ......  (7 repos)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2 (edited by zapper 2021-05-05 12:39:49)

Re: Stuck at 0.3.1 install

Unix-I-like wrote:

I followed the beginner's guide, rebooted, added a new user and password and then

error: failed retrieving file 'sudo.......      : Could not resolve host: ......  (7 repos)

Ah, hello, I usually install doas, but anyways, I have noticed an issue occasionally, where in, /etc/pacman.conf has some weird issue.

#SigLevel    = Required DatabaseOptional

Sig Level = Never

But use this option with great care... if you ever have keyring issues and cannot fix them.  hmm

PS, doas is like sudo, only more secure and sometimes slightly more annoying xD.

I say slightly more annoying, because you have to type in the password to do a command each time.  Anywho, I welcome you to this community. smile

On a slightly more happy note, I will report this if youd like to use sudo to the developers.

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

Unix-I-like wrote:

Hello Unix-I-like, welcome to hyperbola Forum smile
your issue could be a dns problem,  but before we go there are you sure your connected to internet! tell me if your using wifi or cable ethernet?
and if your connected check that your pc have an ip address with dhcpcd

@Unix-I-like you can also use HyperFi for an easy automated installation wink

Thanks a lot for your help! smile

dhcpcd : no interfaces have a carrier
then 1 or 2 noob commands
2nd time dhcpcd: sending commands to master dhcpcd process

Installed sudo (with a warning though: directory permissions differ on/usr/sbin/     filesystem: 750 package: 755)

I used a bit of this guide - https://forums.hyperbola.info/viewtopic.php?id=164:

nano /etc/sudoers

username ALL=(ALL) ALL

pacman -S xorg-server

pacman -S xf86-video-intel

pacman -S lxde  (installed all 17 group members)

reboot

username & password

sudo lxdm gives me a login screen. Unfortunately "Login:" on the background is the only readable word. All the other "words" are arrays of little rectangles.
I tried several times to login without success. I searched for a while on the
lxde forums plus a bit here, but nothing relevant came up.

It seems I need something other than xf86-video-intel. Or to config something graphics-related. Or to install/config fonts.

dhcpcd : no interfaces have a carrier
then 1 or 2 noob commands
2nd time dhcpcd: sending commands to master dhcpcd process

im happy you got it fixed using dhcpcd
now add dhcpcd to openrc to avoid typing these noob commands each time you start your pc smile

sudo/doas rc-update add dhcpcd default

Installed sudo (with a warning though: directory permissions differ on/usr/sbin/     filesystem: 750 package: 755)

im not sure but i think sudo wont be available in the next release, in its place you should use opendoas
instead of sudo <command> you will have to use doas <command>, the only diffrence if you have multiple commands sudo will allow you to execute them without typing your password each time with doas you will have to type your password for each command
if you wanna avoid that remove "#" before  "permit nopass :wheel"  in  "/etc/doas.conf"
But use this option with great care cause it will remove the need of typing your password for example if your planing to use non free/libre software in your machine avoid this option
non free/libre software can also be softwares executed from javascript
@zapper ^

for the warning i dont wanna give a wrong statement about it so i will ask and come back to you but i know you can ignore it and all will work just fine

sudo lxdm gives me a login screen. Unfortunately "Login:" on the background is the only readable word. All the other "words" are arrays of little rectangles.
I tried several times to login without success. I searched for a while on the
lxde forums plus a bit here, but nothing relevant came up.

It seems I need something other than xf86-video-intel. Or to config something graphics-related. Or to install/config fonts.

same with lxdm looks like it wont be used in hyperbola 0.4 not sure yet though, but we should fix this font issue anyway cause it will be seen if you use other DM&DE, cause you have used this Guide we will go and change:
LC_ALL=C  in  /etc/locale.conf  to  LC_ALL=  and then tell me if its not fixed with that

edit: add *smile* and fixed some typo add DM

Hello again to both of you! I felt welcomed to the forum and I really appreciate your support! smile My first reply was too brief so I'm now answering more properly.

No sudo? No problem! I'll doas you do smile I installed sudo 'cause it's what's mentioned on the guides I used and coincidentally what I've always used.

@rachad:

1  I did all the steps on the official beginner's guide+reboot

2  the other 2 official guides led me to
   https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Users_ … management

3  added an user+password

4  dhcpcd   (later   sudo rc-update add dhcpcd default   )

5  ended with some steps based on an unofficial guide :

pacman -S sudo

nano /etc/sudoers        (   username ALL=(ALL) ALL   )

pacman -S xorg-server

reboot  (probably not necessary...)

sudo lxdm

This all means that my     /etc/locale.conf    only has    LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Btw, I really don't understand why the BEGINNER'S guide doesn't cover the steps to install a DE ! Makes no sense at all !
The guide should also provide links to scripts like hyperfi.

"same with lxdm looks like it wont be used in hyperbola 0.4 not sure yet though, but we should fix this font issue anyway cause it will be seen if you use other DE"

Can you confirm this and post here? I've been using LXDE for a long time now, can you suggest alternatives?

8 (edited by zapper 2021-05-09 16:02:10)

Unix-I-like wrote:

Hello again to both of you! I felt welcomed to the forum and I really appreciate your support! smile My first reply was too brief so I'm now answering more properly.

No sudo? No problem! I'll doas you do smile I installed sudo 'cause it's what's mentioned on the guides I used and coincidentally what I've always used.

@rachad:

1  I did all the steps on the official beginner's guide+reboot

2  the other 2 official guides led me to
   https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Users_ … management

3  added an user+password

4  dhcpcd   (later   sudo rc-update add dhcpcd default   )

5  ended with some steps based on an unofficial guide :

pacman -S sudo

nano /etc/sudoers        (   username ALL=(ALL) ALL   )

pacman -S xorg-server

reboot  (probably not necessary...)

sudo lxdm

This all means that my     /etc/locale.conf    only has    LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Btw, I really don't understand why the BEGINNER'S guide doesn't cover the steps to install a DE ! Makes no sense at all !
The guide should also provide links to scripts like hyperfi.

"same with lxdm looks like it wont be used in hyperbola 0.4 not sure yet though, but we should fix this font issue anyway cause it will be seen if you use other DE"

Can you confirm this and post here? I've been using LXDE for a long time now, can you suggest alternatives?

Lumina Desktop is the easiest desktop environment to compile from source. That being said, I much prefer the idea of window managers. I3-wm is a good one, or if you want something bigger, maybe fluxbox or awesome?

I myself however use jwm. you can autostart stuff in jwm, if you know what you are doing.

This helped me somewhat:

https://notabug.org/adnan360/jwm-config … ter/.jwmrc

For modifying jwm, 

that being said, I recommend using awesome if you want something more easy to use. smile

Or for the time being till 0.4 is out, lxde is fine too.

But alas, it relies on dbus, so it will probably disappear in the future...

I don't know if lxpanel relies on dbus btw so openbox + lxpanel may not be an option.

Yes i can confirm that LXDE cant be installed on hyperbola 0.4 but i still dont know if LXDM will work or not cause wen i see the PKGNUILD there is no D-Bus, PolicyKit.... as dependency so not sure yet,
coming back to your font issue try installing ttf-dejavu

lxdm won't be possible with Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre 0.4: Having PAM also as dependency. Looking here: https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-c … k/PKGBUILD

Just use xdm instead.

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

11 (edited by zapper 2021-05-10 22:29:28)

throgh wrote:

lxdm won't be possible with Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre 0.4: Having PAM also as dependency. Looking here: https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-c … k/PKGBUILD

Just use xdm instead.

Or, you can install console-tdm by compiling from source, follow instructions, etc... its not very hard.

https://github.com/dopsi/console-tdm

It takes like less than ten minutes to setup up. Try it if you want something easy.  well I mean, easy that will work after 0.4 wink

once it is compiled,  as in installed aka, make installed to your system

tdmctl init without root,

tdmctl add your_DE /usr/bin/YourDE

Your desktop environment or window manager your using is your_DE...

such as i3-wm or Lumina Desktop or for now, XFCE4 or LXDE...

but before you log out, do this in your home folder:

make an, .xinitrc file for home folder,

put this:

exec tdm --xstart

in the .xinitrc

.txt file smile

then, make .bash_profile look like this inside it:

#
# ~/.bash_profile
#

[[ -f ~/.bashrc ]] && . ~/.bashrc
exec tdm

then, you don't need xdm or lxdm or any other display manager for that matter.

It works for me. smile

EDITING TO MAKE CORRECT! just now... wink

rachad, you nailed it again! talkin' 'bout dejavu, hah? smile

BUT, I'm still standing at the gates of heaven sad

Even with the "post-modern hieroglyphs" I always found strange that I couldn't login 'cause I could type and
enter characters (although I couldn't properly see them on the monitor). Now that the hieroglyphs are deciphered, the problem persists.
The same with xdm (welcome to the thread, throgh! smile  ). On xdm I get a temporary bright red bonus notice:
login incorrect or forbidden by policy. I searched a bit about this but found it to be waaaay out of my league for now.

Thanks a lot for all the GUI suggestions zapper! I better stick with Lxde for now and pick another DE when 0.4 comes out.

Btw, is 0.4 going to keep adherence to the FHS? And what about HyperbolaBSD? I sure do hope so!

can you try with slim i wanna know if you get the same issue, and please tell us what are these mysterious "post-modern hieroglyphs" smile you can of cource email me the details if you dont wanna share them publicly, maybe we could fix this issue in v0.4 or give some documentation about it.

Unix-I-like wrote:

rachad, you nailed it again! talkin' 'bout dejavu, hah? smile

BUT, I'm still standing at the gates of heaven sad

Even with the "post-modern hieroglyphs" I always found strange that I couldn't login 'cause I could type and
enter characters (although I couldn't properly see them on the monitor). Now that the hieroglyphs are deciphered, the problem persists.
The same with xdm (welcome to the thread, throgh! smile  ). On xdm I get a temporary bright red bonus notice:
login incorrect or forbidden by policy. I searched a bit about this but found it to be waaaay out of my league for now.

Thanks a lot for all the GUI suggestions zapper! I better stick with Lxde for now and pick another DE when 0.4 comes out.

Btw, is 0.4 going to keep adherence to the FHS? And what about HyperbolaBSD? I sure do hope so!

I don't know, I think FHS might already be mostly implemented in HyperbolaBSD.
OpenBSD's standards usually are good with the exception of excluding copyleft licenses from their base installs. hmm

rachad wrote:

can you try with slim i wanna know if you get the same issue, and please tell us what are these mysterious "post-modern hieroglyphs" smile you can of cource email me the details if you dont wanna share them publicly, maybe we could fix this issue in v0.4 or give some documentation about it.

I had to postpone things here 'cause I got sick after my previous post sad .
I'm still recovering although apparently the worst is over.

"post-modern hieroglyphs" is just a joke referring to before I installed ttf-dejavu: arrays of upright rectangles and then on the user/password box "semi-rectangles" when I typed.     

I thought slim would enable me to squeeze through the gates bars smile ... but nope sad

My root and user password are the same but I believe this isn't the problem since all is fine on the CLI . This probably has to do with X needing some config ("login...forbidden by policy.").

cheers!

Problem solved. I had to change my password. One key combination was giving me something other on the GUI when compared to the CLI.

You guys know when are 0.4 and HyperbolaBSD expected to be released?

Thanks.

17 (edited by zapper 2021-05-17 21:32:09)

Unix-I-like wrote:

Problem solved. I had to change my password. One key combination was giving me something other on the GUI when compared to the CLI.

You guys know when are 0.4 and HyperbolaBSD expected to be released?

Thanks.

HyperbolaBSD? no idea...

0.4? I would guess 2 months, but don't quote me, as I am not sure either.

Although he did say he wanted HyperbolaBSD done by the end of the year... who knows though. wink