Topic: [dwm] to be added as so-called "meta-package"?

In respect for the project dwm I'd like to try another approach and build more or less a so-called "meta-package". This will not include a ready-to-use window-manager itself and more or less only the source-code ready to be used for compilation and modifications. Seems to be the way the project likes to be used as far as I was told until today from different people. But the meta-package should also include all needed dependencies. If there is interest, two questions:

What dependencies to use at best (especially for font-rendering)?
Do you think this approach is fitting?

Thanks! smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

2 (edited by the_hype 2021-07-08 13:06:17)

Re: [dwm] to be added as so-called "meta-package"?

This is a good approach, as it is needed to compile dwm (for the majority of users).

It is nice to have dwm in the repo, so people will find it when they pacman -Ss window manager.

p.s. nice cmus today smile

The nice thing about having a compiled version however is that it gives the opportunity for someone not knowing much of the details to quickly try it out and see what it is all about.  I tried dwm already compiled from hyperbola 0.3 and found I really like it and would like to try some other configurations and customizations using source code and re-compilation.  I am not a developer, but I know a little C and realize that dwm source code is easy to follow and looks like it has a nice learning curve.  So having the source code is definitely a good idea, but for someone new or not knowing about dwm, I think a compiled version ready to go provides a good entry point.  Likely once someone tries it and reads more about it and like it they will see the benefit of learning to modify and compile their own version.  That could be a doorway to other things in the free computing world.

But what is the issue with dependencies for font-rendering?  Are there some pitfalls there or things best avoided with regard to protecting freedoms?

By the way Throgh, I also tried jwm which you mentioned to me once in a different thread, and I like that one too.  So far, dwm and jwm may be my favorites.  My biggest concern however is freedom of use and being less dependent on anything that has some ties to non-free tools.  I read this forum and others on freedom issues but in making selections not sure what software packages to be more concerned or cautious about using.

pigeon123 wrote:

The nice thing about having a compiled version however is that it gives the opportunity for someone not knowing much of the details to quickly try it out and see what it is all about.  I tried dwm already compiled from hyperbola 0.3 and found I really like it and would like to try some other configurations and customizations using source code and re-compilation.  I am not a developer, but I know a little C and realize that dwm source code is easy to follow and looks like it has a nice learning curve.  So having the source code is definitely a good idea, but for someone new or not knowing about dwm, I think a compiled version ready to go provides a good entry point.  Likely once someone tries it and reads more about it and like it they will see the benefit of learning to modify and compile their own version.  That could be a doorway to other things in the free computing world.

I disagree. For using default dwm, one has to do...

git clone https://git.suckless.org/dwm
git checkout 6.2
make clean install

How difficult is that? Spirit of dwm is to understand code minimally and be able to edit it. For patching, one just has to understand git-patch utility. I was of the opinion that just write the above steps in documentation and how to edit .xinitrc , that's it! No dwm in packages, but in documentation there would be help on how to install dwm.

Thanks this helps to develop the package or better both packages. My proposal would be therefore:

dwm-src - including all needed dependencies being installed with the source and patches into /opt
dwm-bin - the precompiled binary done here

Only one package-flavor can be installed for sure. But that's possible as we already use that for dosbox and dosbox-staging. So both packages would provide "dwm", but have different approaches for sure. wink

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

throgh wrote:

Thanks this helps to develop the package or better both packages. My proposal would be therefore:

dwm-src - including all needed dependencies being installed with the source and patches into /opt
dwm-bin - the precompiled binary done here

+1 for more wise approach

just for futureproof, source packages are good but compiled packages offer quick install and try

example case would be like if an new user just want to try various lightweight window manager and find one best for him, it is more easy to install/uninstall multiple binary ready ones than compiling

The next commit will include:

dwm-bin as compiled package, including the source-code and configuration
dwm-src as meta-package, just including the source-code and some initial advice

Package(s) added, so dwm is now part of Hyperbola in both flavors. wink
Thread closed!