Topic: Unable to connect to the Internet

When I tried to delete, partition, and install the disk, I could not connect to the Internet.
Maybe the system is not recognizing the hardware...

# ping gnu.org
ping: gnu.org: Temporary failure in name resolution
# ip link
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
# ifconfig -a
lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
    inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 scopeid 0x10<host>
    loop  txqueuelen 1  (Local Loopback)
    RX packets 32  bytes 2144 (2.0 KiB)
    RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
    TX packets 32  bytes 2144 (2.0 KiB)
    TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0 
# lspci -v
00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V (rev 10)
    Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 15bc
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
    Memory at a1200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
    Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
01:00.0 ...
# lspci -v | grep Ethernet
00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V (rev 10)
# dmesg | grep Intel
[    37.222304] e1000e: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - 3.2.6-k 
[    37.222304] e1000e: Copyright(c) 1999 - 2015 Intel Corporation.
[    38.787622] e1000: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 7.3.21-k8-NAPI
[    38.787623] e1000: Copyright(c) 1999-2006 Intel Corporation.
# dmesg | grep e1000
[    37.222304] e1000e: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - 3.2.6-k 
[    37.222304] e1000e: Copyright(c) 1999 - 2015 Intel Corporation.
[    38.787622] e1000: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 7.3.21-k8-NAPI
[    38.787623] e1000: Copyright(c) 1999-2006 Intel Corporation.

I tried below, but it did not solve the problem.

# modprobe e1000e
# modprobe e1000

The cable is plugged in.
In other distributions, it is connected automatically (checked in Fedora 34 and PureOS 9.0).
Is there a solution?

Sorry, my submachine is unstable, so my reply may be delayed.
I am translating English automatically. Please forgive me if this is strange or rude.

Re: Unable to connect to the Internet

Hello sinumade, welcome to the forums. So the first question is: Could you provide more details about your hardware in use? It can be for sure a problem even with wired connections being not supported depending on the used chipset. You are using version 0.3.1 or 0.4 as within testing?

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

Thanks throgh.
I don't know much about hardware, so I'll try to list some information that might be related.
If there is anything missing, please let me know.

The version I tried to install was v0.3.1.

• CPU: Intel Core i3-8100

• Storage: Intel Cannon Lake PCH SATA AHCI Controller, Non-Volatile memory controller

• Network: Intel Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V

# dmidecode
BIOS Information
    Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
    Version: P4.00
    BIOS Revision: 5.13
System Information
    Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Product Name: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Version: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
# dmidecode -t baseboard
Base Board Information
    Manufacturer: ASRock
    Product Name: B360M Pro4
    Version:

4 (edited by zapper 2021-08-08 03:23:13)

sinumade wrote:

Thanks throgh.
I don't know much about hardware, so I'll try to list some information that might be related.
If there is anything missing, please let me know.

The version I tried to install was v0.3.1.

• CPU: Intel Core i3-8100

• Storage: Intel Cannon Lake PCH SATA AHCI Controller, Non-Volatile memory controller

• Network: Intel Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V

# dmidecode
BIOS Information
    Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
    Version: P4.00
    BIOS Revision: 5.13
System Information
    Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Product Name: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Version: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
# dmidecode -t baseboard
Base Board Information
    Manufacturer: ASRock
    Product Name: B360M Pro4
    Version:

I would be very surprised if you could run 8th gen graphics card, or 8th gen sound, ethernet, wireless, etc... with only free software...

I am not even sure if you can do that...

I thought anything past gen 4, forced you to use a blob for sound, graphics, and even ethernet...

Well, technically, gen 3 the hardware requires a blob to use ethernet already, same with gen 2 for intel, but not on the software side...

I wonder if its possible...

I hope it is, for your sake. 

Minimalism is very hard to find in other distros... so yeah...

I dunno.

If anyone knows otherwise, set the record straight as soon as possible.

I want to be wrong!

HyperbolaBSD: The Future of Secure Libre Lightweight Operating Systems!

I booted the Parabola live image (parabola-dual-openrc-cli-2020.08.03-netinstall.iso) to test it out and was able to connect to the Internet.
I could not install it due to PGP signature issues, so I could not verify that the hardware and kernel modules work properly.

There is a kernel description in Parabola, but not in Hyperbola:

# lspci -v
    Kernel driver in use: e1000e
    Kernel modules: e1000e

e1000e driver version is the same for both Parabola and Hyperbola:

# modinfo -F version e1000e
3.2.6-k

I think it has something to do with the kernel version, but I'm not sure.

# uname -a
Linux parabolaiso 5.7.10-gnu-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed, 29 Jul 2020 15:44:34 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Linux hyperbolaiso 4.9.210-gnu-1-lts #1 SMP Thu Jan 16 21:46:32 UTC 2020 x86_64 GNU/Linux

--

zapper wrote:

I would be very surprised if you could run 8th gen graphics card, or 8th gen sound, ethernet, wireless, etc... with only free software...

I thought anything past gen 4, forced you to use a blob for sound, graphics, and even ethernet...

Well, technically, gen 3 the hardware requires a blob to use ethernet already, same with gen 2 for intel, but not on the software side...

Does it not work with freesoftware? If so, I can't do anything.
It installed fine on my Aspire 5750, so I assumed it would work on my main machine. Of course, Aspire 5750 is an old laptop.

How do people find out what hardware freesoftware runs on?
Is there a list somewhere? h-node?

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I guess I was too careless about hardware.

6 (edited by zapper 2021-08-09 03:20:44)

sinumade wrote:

I booted the Parabola live image (parabola-dual-openrc-cli-2020.08.03-netinstall.iso) to test it out and was able to connect to the Internet.
I could not install it due to PGP signature issues, so I could not verify that the hardware and kernel modules work properly.

There is a kernel description in Parabola, but not in Hyperbola:

# lspci -v
    Kernel driver in use: e1000e
    Kernel modules: e1000e

e1000e driver version is the same for both Parabola and Hyperbola:

# modinfo -F version e1000e
3.2.6-k

I think it has something to do with the kernel version, but I'm not sure.

# uname -a
Linux parabolaiso 5.7.10-gnu-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed, 29 Jul 2020 15:44:34 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Linux hyperbolaiso 4.9.210-gnu-1-lts #1 SMP Thu Jan 16 21:46:32 UTC 2020 x86_64 GNU/Linux

--

zapper wrote:

Does it not work with freesoftware? If so, I can't do anything.
It installed fine on my Aspire 5750, so I assumed it would work on my main machine. Of course, Aspire 5750 is an old laptop.

How do people find out what hardware freesoftware runs on?
Is there a list somewhere? h-node?

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I guess I was too careless about hardware.

Hmmm...  which part worked in parabola?

Ethernet, or wifi?

Just going to add, something here:

dhcpcd needs to be put into the console or you cannot connect to internet on Hyperbola's 0.3.1 image.

I would think if ethernet work in parabola it should work in Hyperbola... maybe then... there is some hope then!

However, it might require a newer kernel... I am not sure at this time.

IF nothing else though, I would wait for Hyperbola's 0.4 release, it should be coming in a few months or 2x that at most I would guess...

if anyone knows a different timeline though they can jump in of course.

That all being said, If you can use ethernet, good, if you need wifi and do not have a usb wifi adapter that runs on only free software, then... I would wait a while.

Although, it might work on 0.4 even now, but some applications, etc might not be completely stable yet, although I am on 0.4, before I update core components, I very often use a vm to make sure it is safe to upgrade.

There is some major changes going on in 0.4, aka...

Three options currently exist
See if ethernet works... to install it,
if it does, use a usb wifi adapter after you install the atheros usb wifi adapter firmware, which is libre, I am sure you know... smile
wait a while, which I doubt you will want to do

IF there is a fourth option, you will know what it is.

Btw, to insall the system with ethernet attached, you need to type the command dhcpcd in while its plugged into the ethernet for it to work.

It doesn't automatically turn dhcpcd on lol.

Those are my thoughts, take it for what it is worth.

That said, I found Hardware Information (HDT) in the Live Image menu.
We can get the hardware information from this menu.

There was already a topic about the hardware on which Hyperbola runs:
What hardware do you use for Hyperbola?

--

zapper wrote:

Btw, to insall the system with ethernet attached, you need to type the command dhcpcd in while its plugged into the ethernet for it to work.

# rc-service dhcpcd start
WARNING: dhcpcd has already been start

After loading the module with modprobe, I restarted DHCPCD, but to no avail.
The DHCPCD itself seems to be working.
Ethernet connection is enough for me, so I haven't tried wireless connection.

--

The driver is present in the kernel and the module can be loaded.
But I can't connect. Why?

zapper wrote:

IF nothing else though, I would wait for Hyperbola's 0.4 release, it should be coming in a few months or 2x that at most I would guess...

Well, I just hope that I can install v0.4 or HyperbolaBSD.
Thank you, zapper.

8 (edited by zapper 2021-08-22 05:07:14)

sinumade wrote:

That said, I found Hardware Information (HDT) in the Live Image menu.
We can get the hardware information from this menu.

There was already a topic about the hardware on which Hyperbola runs:
What hardware do you use for Hyperbola?

--

zapper wrote:

# rc-service dhcpcd start
WARNING: dhcpcd has already been start

After loading the module with modprobe, I restarted DHCPCD, but to no avail.
The DHCPCD itself seems to be working.
Ethernet connection is enough for me, so I haven't tried wireless connection.

--

The driver is present in the kernel and the module can be loaded.
But I can't connect. Why?

zapper wrote:

Well, I just hope that I can install v0.4 or HyperbolaBSD.
Thank you, zapper.

Hmm, I wonder why you cannot connect... kind of odd.

As for 0.4, when the live isos come out, I am sure it will work if it works in parabola.

Btw, one last thought occured to me, when the ethernet cable is plugged in in the live iso, you shouldn't need to use rc-service dhcpcd start if its already on...

you need to just type dhcpcd before pacstrap,

WITHOUT, INVOKING IT IN RC-SERVICE, because its likely already on, it just needs you to type dhcpcd, after plugging ethernet cable in...

I always found this fact weird... ps, I put in capital letters, to indicate that its important to do it this way.

PS, I never use anything but ethernet to install Hyperbola myself, its just too much for me lol.

Unless I can disk clone...

Otherwise, you need wpa_supplicant to make it work and dhcpcd-gtk as well.

In my experience anyways.

This is old but I feel it necessary to explain for future reference and readers, that you don't need to rely on Fear Uncertainty and Doubt to determine whether a machine can run Hyperbola. All you need is to check your dmesg logs in /var/log/dmesg or run dmesg | tee > dmesg.txt

Linux-libre, like mainline Linux, still runs on a variety of devices. What you need to look for is the DEBLOBBED message.

For instance my machine says:

$ dmesg | grep DEBLOBBED
[    4.413102] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ failed with error -2
[    4.413118] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ failed with error -2
[    4.413131] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ failed with error -2
[    4.413144] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ failed with error -2
[    4.413158] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ failed with error -2
[    4.413170] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ failed with error -2
[    4.413183] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ failed with error -2
[    4.413195] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ failed with error -2
[    4.413199] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: minimum version required: /*(DEBLOBBED)*/22
[    4.413201] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: maximum version supported: /*(DEBLOBBED)*/29
[    4.413202] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: check /*(DEBLOBBED)*/
[    4.471606] Bluetooth: hci0: failed to open Intel firmware file: /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ (-2)
[    4.471618] Bluetooth: hci0: failed to open default fw file: /*(DEBLOBBED)*/
[    4.830071] i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] Failed to load DMC firmware /*(DEBLOBBED)*/. Disabling runtime power management.
[    4.830073] i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] DMC firmware homepage: /*(DEBLOBBED)*/

This log helpfully explains which parts were removed, in my case the wifi, bluetooth, and power management on the processor. Early in my Linux-libre days I too worried about it but now I know exactly what to look for to ascertain compatibility. Bring more people to Linux-libre and other freed kernels: learn dmesg!

Thanks for pointing out that point. Yes, reading the dmesg-logs is a thing. But first people need to have the interest looking exactly at this point. I fear we first need also more parts into "free culture of learning" so the toolsets and skills don't get left out. Nowadays people just think it should run out of the box, not wrong for sure but looking at the system in more details is always helping for technical emancipation! smile

Human being in favor with clear principles and so also for freedom in soft- and hardware!

Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices: For a life of every being full with peace and kindness, including diversity and freedom. Capitalism is destroying our minds, the planet itself and the universe in the end!

11 (edited by zapper 2022-08-27 04:00:16)

throgh wrote:

Thanks for pointing out that point. Yes, reading the dmesg-logs is a thing. But first people need to have the interest looking exactly at this point. I fear we first need also more parts into "free culture of learning" so the toolsets and skills don't get left out. Nowadays people just think it should run out of the box, not wrong for sure but looking at the system in more details is always helping for technical emancipation! smile

Such a cause is extremely worthy indeed, as I might have mentioned before, the idea of a free software phone, is nowhere near as important as more libre hardware, such as wifi, cpus, storage, etc...

It is for this reason, that I am skeptical about why FSF/GNU thinks a free software phone should be a top priority...

aka, its not just a moving target, its one that will forever remain moving.

Because the modem is utterly useless unless it can connect to the satelite... and without that, its more or less, a piece of junk, unless Europe has different laws concerning phone technology such as 5G...

Side note:

Doubt it is enough

wink

The out of box working idea, is good... for hardware that can be used without remote blobs.

Otherwise, it is more useless than the security in microsoft windows.

Sorry did I say security?

I forgot, microsoft doesn't know what that even means...

tongue

I would have said its good for software, but then I remember,  the sneaky stuff that is being done to break security deliberately in distros.

Well, we have not talked about computers with phone-capabilities. But well: In general we should also first be very strict and exact about the wordings and phrases we are using. The modern devices being in usage and named as "phone" (I cut out the word "smart" before because they are not in any way) are just more and they are computers, nothing more and nothing less. Let alone the further installation of applications and data is a well-known problem. But I would like to keep it on-topic. The phone-discussion would bring just more discussions aside!

We are heading more and more towards convergence of phone and computer systems, so throgh's point about phone being basically computers now is right - and it's a good thing, because now more and more people around the world will get a taste of 'technological emancipation', and that is where projects like Hyperbola come in. Most people in the world, in the farthest reaches, the homeless, and in indigenous communities, have phone-computers now. The future of software freedom will be in the hands of millions running cheap hardware.

The cheap kind of hardware that people who can only use the most basic necessities rely on. Because they cannot afford the high end stuff, or anything optional for fun.

We are the early adopters, the makers, the ones giving life to that wave. Somewhat privileged in this position I am, but using it for the greater good.

And having fun while doing it

Call me kind old, but a computer is different for me. First it was a mistake having computers with phone-capabilities released for the masses without ever taking into the responsibility for what to come and make out of it. Now we have quite a different scheme, with even much more amount of responsibilities: Not only more security vectors, even more in combination with too fast made software-stacks, just without also thinking about consequences - yes, NodeJS and others, I talk about you also there. For me the computer is just the machine doing computing. Yes, I'm coming out of a time where every bit and byte was counting and we thought it would be cool enough with 512 KB out of RAM for example. Nevertheless: I have no problem with progress, but with going too fast without ever thinking about the possible outcome.

We have given out responsibilities into wrong hands. No, I don't talk about "evil or good" per definition. I mean ignorance and selfish actions out of companies and many others. Now we have more problems to get control back, control about own data, control to understand how computing is functional and how we could ever explain technical emancipation too the masses of people, as all beings have a right to protect own data and copy what they want for sure. wink

But especially there everyone knows direct I'm getting old, because "sharing is caring" when you learn to get with it on a responsible way. Ending with a quote of the comic-generations: "With great power comes also great responsibility!" (not only there, but the friendly Spider helped here much in modern days)

Oh yeah don't want to come across like it's actually an unabashedly good thing, we are just dealing with the hand we have been dealt, you know? The only alternative is we have these spy devices that we cn't even use for the self enhancement of our people. We also have no real nee of the consmerism or the rapid cycle of technology wasted, that harms ourselves and our world. But as it is here already, we gotta do the best we can with what we have. In the spirit of that message is Free software / techno emancipation, where we can secure our cultural knowledge for generations to come

I think my post on re-read comes across as technocratic, but I mean it from the standpoint of being part of those communities that could put the power of a phone to good use. wink

No problem: I have understood very well for sure. wink
It is just: The older one within me is a bit sad from time to time, because fact-oriented going a bit more slowly sounds nicer for me. But well? It is not always the way we want or wanted. We have to make the best out of what is for now and Replicant is for sure one good part (https://replicant.us/). I hope that nevertheless we get back to a point where all humans have the possibility getting technical emancipation and have also the power to state NO at a point or get protection to do so from others. The idealist within, you know?